The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Am I the only guy here still buying wheelguns?

I think the quota here is 2. One centerfire, one rimfire. After that you have to pick up a 1911, then move on to polymer hi cap pistols.

Brat, once they all move through the pistol phase, and one or two or ten AR platform builds, they’ll focus on shotguns; tactical first then elegant skeet shooters.

That’s when they pick up a lever action to harken back to the old days. Which then reminds them of the wheel guns. Patience old buddy. They’re coming around.
  • Haha 1

Shotguns never did much for me even though my grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 42 about 65 years ago. Shot it a couple of times then and it has been a safe Queen ever since. Have a Win. Defender 12 gauge for HD, and a sawed off (legal) H&R Topper 12 for a truck gun. Inherited a new Wingmaster 12 ga. from my dad, but gave it to a son because I don’t hunt.

Gave the boys my two 1960s era Browning Safari bolt actions (.30-06, .243), Remington 336 from 1968, prewar Winchester 94,  Mini14, and both AR15 carbines (Colt, S&W). Still have one 10/22, a Winchester 9422 XTR, two Win. 94s, and a Win. Model 67A.

Long guns just aren’t my thing.

Still would like to acquire a few more handguns - another Colt or Ruger 1911, a CZ 75 Compact,  and a small double stack like the Sig p365. Several wheelguns are on my want list - a GP100,  another Colt SAA, a S&W Model 17, and a NAA Mini Wasp or Sidewinder.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I have two S&W's: a 617 in 22LR and a 686 in 357 mag. Keep the 22 in my Mule for shooting at squirrels. Can't shoot the 357 for shit; slightly better with 38 special in it. 

Some day I'll be looking for something to waste my money on and I'll probably buy a used Python off of Gunbroker, I presume.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I bought a 3” M60 Pro in December, there is a picture in here somewhere. I’d still like to get a M640 Pro. After that I have some wants for a M28 and something in 44 Special maybe a GP100. Id love a 44 Bulldog but I don’t quite trust Charter enough to put the cash down. 

Which gun store has the best selection of entry level ARs?  My uncle doesn't want to buy one from online, he wants to hold it first.  He's probably going to still end up going with the Ruger 556 or MP Sport 2, but I don't want to argue.  The two local gun shops I go to never have any in stock.

Where is your uncle?

Academy has some.

I bet elite guns on Parmer lane has a bunch.

GT Distributers has a good selection.

Which gun store has the best selection of entry level ARs?  My uncle doesn't want to buy one from online, he wants to hold it first.  He's probably going to still end up going with the Ruger 556 or MP Sport 2, but I don't want to argue.  The two local gun shops I go to never have any in stock.

You could always try a gun show. Lots of bs at them but you can see lots of diff makes/models and finger bang all you want.
I always tell anyone looking for guns and dont which ones to try it.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:19 PM, williemackgarza said:

One day Ill grow up and get me a python and a nice saa.
I love wheel guns.

Python might be up there as one of the all time slickest models ever made.  Man they are gorgeous.  Just can't justify the cost these days when I already have a gp100 and Vaquero.  Both in .357.  

Speaking of single actions, I have a 1874 SAA with a 121XX serial number.  Letter from Colt says made 1874, so made during the first full calendar year of production.  .45 Long Colt, 5.5 inch barrel. It has stag grips that look right and have shrunk on the frame, but can't swear they came on the gun new.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Speaking of single actions, I have a 1874 SAA with a 121XX serial number.  Letter from Colt says made 1874, so made during the first full calendar year of production.  .45 Long Colt, 5.5 inch barrel. It has stag grips that look right and have shrunk on the frame, but can't swear they came on the gun new.

Something’s wrong.  Pics aren’t showing up for me.

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If you just want to step it up for stepping it up's sake, there's a guy in Diana, TX who makes custom single shot and double rifles. Prices for a double start at 18,500. Not sure if he does shotguns, but I bet he could if you wanted.

I’ve been looking pretty thoroughly and think I can find something gently used in the high 4,  low 5 figure range.  

Llano, agreed. One of the benefits of them is they are largely modular and you can literally piece them together if you wish (obv #’s wouldn’t match) with very little smithing.  You can also purchase them “naked” and have the wood fit to you, which would be the plan as the fit and personality of the wood are both important to me  

So I can have a gun that will fit me like a glove and I can shoot for the rest of my life, or a submariner and a 687.   The more I look into it, I think the P/K gun is the way to go, though admittedly I’m much more into the Italians than the Germans.   90% chance the money will  just go into the 529’s like usual though. 

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If you just want to step it up for stepping it up's sake, there's a guy in Diana, TX who makes custom single shot and double rifles. Prices for a double start at 18,500. Not sure if he does shotguns, but I bet he could if you wanted.

There are some amazing works of art there. Wow. 

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

While we are waiting for Gladeite to follow the rules, I'll put mine (made 105 years after his) up as a temporary sop....

IMG-1334.jpg

Mine was early 1900's. sorry about photobucket but after reading the forums items I have no idea where to move photos to. Other sites seems to work and then not work

b35b7b68-381a-42c9-928f-1efa1a79cedd_zps

• Like 1

Nice looking Cavalry model Colt. You should post it on the SAA forum at the Colt message board. Those guys will give their assessment of the gun, including the obvious need for an action job/repair - which is evident from the trigger position with the hammer cocked to the "safety" notch.

They love to discuss the very early models of the SAA, particularly those that were issued to the cavalry units for use in the Indian wars.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army/

Edited by Armybrat

We had this discussion a few years ago on the old forum. I did post it and they had mixed opinions on that trigger. All I can say is that it has been in the family since the 40's and was probably last fired in the 50's. I know I never heard of Dad firing it. I was going to get it worked on but never got to it yet

I am traveling and just saw that I did not follow the rules.  When I get back I will upload a photo.

Saw a mention of Bailey Bradshaw in Diana.  He has an interesting action that dangerous game hunters really like.  He has a horrible reputation for slow work.  Google is your friend.

There's a young guy NW of Ft worth that apprenticed in Bradshaws shop and is now out on his own. He is a member of a hunting forum I read and he has been on there from before he went to gun smithing school.

He does beautiful work, way above my price range. Here is a 500 linebaugh SxS he built on a shotgun action for a customer to use on driven deer hunts. The cut that stock from a great piece of walnut that he had shown out of his collection

image.jpg

Edited by davidg
  • Like 2