The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Yeah, downward ejection.  Just make sure you don't wear a shirt with a chest pocket while shooting it.  

I got real close to buying a PMR30 a couple of months ago.  I just couldn't get past the price of .22 WMR as compared to 9mm.  However, I don't know of a 9mm pistol that holds 30 rounds either.  I may talk myself back into it at some point.

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Yeah, downward ejection.  Just make sure you don't wear a shirt with a chest pocket while shooting it.  

I got real close to buying a PMR30 a couple of months ago.  I just couldn't get past the price of .22 WMR as compared to 9mm.  However, I don't know of a 9mm pistol that holds 30 rounds either.  I may talk myself back into it at some point.

For me it was the weight (unloaded, maybe the weight of a large cell phone), unique aspect of the round, and the ease of firing.  It's hard to beat almost zero recoil, and foot worth of flame, a 30rd mag, and nasty terminal ballistics.  

Dispatched a large pig a while back (100+/- lbs) that was alive, but clipped.  Penetration was excellent for a 40gr. projectile.  Think about how easy you can facilitate a mag dump with a Ruger Mk IV or any other 22lr pistol, with a round that can penetrate 10-15+ inches of ballistic gel.  As a ranch/truck gun.  It's ideal.  

28 minutes ago, mushroomface said:

The Tavor is reversible! I love that gun.

I initially had my sights on that gun.  The ejection side is reversible, but you have to buy a left handed bolt and send it to IWI to have it installed.  They do sell a left hand version ready to go, but in black only, and I wanted FDE.  I then saw the RDB's were going to $720 tax, title, and license on the interweb (less than half the price of the Tavor), so I went that route. 

My latest acquisition is a CZ Bren 805 Pistol in FDE which should be delivered Monday.  Already have the SBT805 brace ready, but I may SBR it.  Didn't want to wait for the Bren 2.

Went to take a piss in an alley in Isla Mujeres and ran into a female (pretty sure) Mexican federale sporting a CZ Bren 805. Five foot three inches of Mexican federal female officer wearing a kevlar helmet, ninja mask and a CZ Bren 805. Decided to piss elsewhere.

3 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Went to take a piss in an alley in Isla Mujeres and ran into a female (pretty sure) Mexican federale sporting a CZ Bren 805. Five foot three inches of Mexican federal female officer wearing a kevlar helmet, ninja mask and a CZ Bren 805. Decided to piss elsewhere.

That’s hot. 

On 3/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, bigshark88 said:

Give her my number.

What is the best way to sell antique firearms in the Austin area?

I've sold stuff face to face with TexasGunTrader and by common carrier with GunBroker, so I know the general laws. But I want to sell some specific antiques. I'd like a trustworthy appraiser (Austin area) and a good place to do consignment. Is it worth driving down the Houston to go to Classic Firearms? Or maybe since I folks just list stuff online it doesn't matter so much. I've got a Colt Army 1861 (1862) w/ powder keg, a Sharps Rifle New Model 1863, and a Winchester 1885 Low Wall .22lr (pre-1920s) with vintage scope. I've got some miscellaneous WW2 pistols, but the apparent market value is low enough I'd rather keep them (Feramu jhv 41 and P38 with leather holster) even though I'm terrified they'd disintegrate if I shot modern ammo through them.

None of my family came to the US prior to 1900, and I've never been a civil war buff. I've got no real emotional attachment to them (I've got my grandfathers $100 montgomery ward .410 which actually means something to me). 

Edited by CleverNickname

Any of you gun fanatics have red dots on your pistols? I sent my CZ P07 off today for a slide cut and Vortex Venom install. Was too cheap to spring for an RMR. I'm a pretty shitty shot with irons. Will this help my hit percentage?

Maybe. I prescribe more range time. Thoughtful practicing. All the sight pictures in the world can’t help someone that pulls or pushes their shot.

7 hours ago, GottaB said:

Maybe. I prescribe more range time. Thoughtful practicing. All the sight pictures in the world can’t help someone that pulls or pushes their shot.

Definitely need more practice, but that doesn’t help my equipment look any cooler. 😎

Edited by cabowabo

15 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Any of you gun fanatics have red dots on your pistols? I sent my CZ P07 off today for a slide cut and Vortex Venom install. Was too cheap to spring for an RMR. I'm a pretty shitty shot with irons. Will this help my hit percentage?

Asked that very question to a friend that teaches pistol courses and is very deep into the 3-gun competition rabbit hole.  His take (and he's a HUGE CZ fanboy BTW, as are many that compete), is that is helps with static shooting and is more of a hindrance for dynamic shooting.  For most, and there are always exceptions, red dot takes longer to acquire your target.  So for hunting, range time, etc.  It's great.  For EDC, home invasion, SD, etc. type scenarios he recommended to me to go with night sights and practice my ass off (I've never been that great with a pistol either).   It also takes some adjustment time if you own more than one pistol, and you one with a red dot, and others with iron sights.  

I got my first revolver a little while back.  A Taurus 617.  It is a 2" 7 chamber .357 mag model in stainless.  I liked it enough to order another Taurus, the 905 which is a 2" 5 chamber 9mm, also stainless.  I have a fair amount of experience with semi auto handguns but relatively little with revolvers.  

The 905 comes with and is supposed to be used with moon clips.  These are a first for me as well but they seem straightforward enough.  Except I can't get them to work.  I can not get the cylinder to close using the clips.  I can get the cylinder closed just loading all 5 chambers directly, without the clips.  Which would seem to imply its the clips or how I am loading them...but they seem flush to the cylinder face when in the cylinder and I tried unloading and reloading the clips a bunch of times with different loads and snap caps.  Also strange, I had some Federal 147gr HST that would not seat all the way into the chambers...ie could not come close to closing the cylinder even with no clips.

I guess I am going to call Taurus but I thought I would post in the hope that someone with more revolver experience might chime in.

Taurus isn't known for top quality in the revolver world. I believe there are good ones out there, but you need to know what to look for as far as timing and stuff like that when buying one. Kinda like the cheaper Italian Colt SAA clones. If you buy the cheapest you'd better be able to inspect it before dropping the cash.

I've owned 2 Taurus pistols, a 1911 .45 acp and a Judge. Never had any issues with either of them, but I'm not a competition shooter. Wound up trading the 1911 but the Judge stays under my pillow and I sleep well.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 8:07 PM, RPM said:

I've owned 2 Taurus pistols, a 1911 .45 acp and a Judge. Never had any issues with either of them, but I'm not a competition shooter. Wound up trading the 1911 but the Judge stays under my pillow and I sleep well.

Does the judge have aftermarket night sights on it?  It should if it's your HD option.

47 minutes ago, RPM said:

I have it loaded with Winchester PDX. Just point it in the general direction.

Hopefully you live alone and have thick walls.  The discs, which carry all the kinetic energy and penetration, may only be a few inches from one another upon impact inside a house.  You still have to be able to land the larger projectiles on target.  And night sights are cheap.  

Hopefully you live alone and have thick walls.  The discs, which carry all the kinetic energy and penetration, may only be a few inches from one another upon impact inside a house.  You still have to be able to land the larger projectiles on target.  And night sights are cheap.  And the judge is a gimmick.

Ftfy

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Hopefully you live alone and have thick walls.

Yes and not really. Here's the plan. Judge gets me to 12ga #1 (also loaded with PDX) which gets me to the gun safe and we get the party started. There's 12ga #2 and a M&P 9mm for Plan B to get to the safe. Either way, it's a bad idea to drop by after I go to bed.

And the judge is a gimmick. 

and fun as hell to shoot.

Edited by RPM

28 minutes ago, RPM said:

Yes and not really. Here's the plan. Judge gets me to 12ga #1 (also loaded with PDX) which gets me to the gun safe and we get the party started. There's 12ga #2 and a M&P 9mm for Plan B to get to the safe. Either way, it's a bad idea to drop by after I go to bed.

and fun as hell to shoot.

Good to have a plan.  Asked about the walls because errand shots tend to find soft targets.  Ballistic penetration tests on drywall and worth noting.  Especially with others in the house.  Why I brought up night sights.  By far the best post-close addition to add to any handgun.  Ironically, I remember taking a carbine class with a good friend who's both LE and SWAT, and ironically why he isn't a fan of shotguns despite their longer sight radius and familiarity (we're talking pumps).  So many operators and civilians jam them.  They 'short-stroke' their second shot (insert mom joke here) or sent it into the roof or nearby wall because they think they can just point and shoot.  At 7yds, out of a longer barrel - you're going to have a spread of maybe an inch or two, max.  

You want an additional warning & time to get to your safe.  Get a dog with a deep bark.  And BTW, I know so many owners of the Judge that use it religiously as a snake/truck gun.  

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Most people don’t recommend a pump for an inexperience shooter in a high stress situation for the reasons you give.

Yep.  Train for the follow up shot when you invariably miss with your first.  Which is why scatterguns are problematic CQB guns (beyond being deafeningly loud and disorienting).  Why most experts will tell you all around best HD platform is an AR-type platform.  Want to go further down the rabbit hole, an SBR with a can and some type of illuminated optic.  

But honestly, just having strong situational awareness, good lighting, and decent layers of home protection (lights, alarm, & a dog) are going to put you high up on the curve.  Much more likely to get taken out by a kid on the freeway driving and texting.  

Kids are grown and out of the house, phasing out the work life and looking at moving to Austin.  Are there any good ranges for defensive handgun shooting?  I currently have my own range with IDPA style steel, 8" plates, 4" and 6" trees, 1/2 size IDPA, etc....   Do all of my training from concealed(AIWB) and with a timer.  I have inquired at a couple and they were no drawing, no timer, no rapid fire, etc...   For a hobby I do some personal protection, bodyguard type work and shoot/train 100 rounds per week because it's fun and I enjoy it.  We will be living on the west side, outside 360.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

• Like 1