The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

As most of my gun searches go, I've raised my budget a bit. I went and looked at a Bergara 14 HMR at my local gun shop yesterday, and really liked it. The interwebs seem to have nothing but good things to say about it. I have a "western" rifle already in 300 win mag, so I think i'd be okay with lugging this 9lb rifle to the deer stand and back. 

Anyone here have one?

Got the bergara! Any recs for scope rings to pair with a zeiss conquest hd 5? 5-25x50

Merry Christmas gun nuts!

Picked these up for myself for Christmas, I had narrowed several options down to these two and couldn’t make a final decision so the wife just said to get them both. 

I’m experimenting with moving from polymers back to metal and the 92 is another step. The M60 should move into carry duty replacing a well worn M642. 

23-D78-A85-3353-434-A-ADD4-69-FEB41-B7-D
DC2895-ED-4-C9-D-446-E-9-B7-F-9911-C98-E

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Bond Arms right?

I have their Ranger II, which is the same gun with a 4.25" Barrell. I also have Backup in 45 acp and go my mom the The Defender in 38/357. Great we'll built guns that are fun and a cool little device mount to a magnet under the steering wheel.

Yes, it is Bond Arms and a very well built little pistol. It has some weight to it. I got it mostly for the 410 barrel. 

Can your mother cock the Defender easily enough?  That's always been an issue with my daughters and ex-wife with semi-automatics; this seems like it might be easier.

Picked these up for myself for Christmas, I had narrowed several options down to these two and couldn’t make a final decision so the wife just said to get them both. 
I’m experimenting with moving from polymers back to metal and the 92 is another step. The M60 should move into carry duty replacing a well worn M642. 
[/url]

First: sweet shooter there. I don’t have a beretta yet and I do want one.

Second: I remember my first non-budget pistol I bought was a glock. I texted a cop buddy of mine to brag about buying my first “real” gun. And he made some flippant comment about, “great if you like plastic pistols”. It bugged me at the time. I asked him what he carried and it was a Sig P226. I understand his comment better than I took it when he said it. And he was correct, they are different. If you like polymer pistols, a glock is a great option. If you don’t, you could care less.

I own and like to shoot both polymer and steel but I enjoy my Sig P226 and CZ75 more than my Glock G19 or CZp10c.

25 minutes ago, GottaB said:

First: sweet shooter there. I don’t have a beretta yet and I do want one.

Second: I remember my first non-budget pistol I bought was a glock. I texted a cop buddy of mine to brag about buying my first “real” gun. And he made some flippant comment about, “great if you like plastic pistols”. It bugged me at the time. I asked him what he carried and it was a Sig P226. I understand his comment better than I took it when he said it. And he was correct, they are different. If you like polymer pistols, a glock is a great option. If you don’t, you could care less.

I own and like to shoot both polymer and steel but I enjoy my Sig P226 and CZ75 more than my Glock G19 or CZp10c.

Shoot what you shoot well.

Mrs. Shooter wanted a new pistol for Christmas and found the one she wanted.  It was a SCCY  CPX-2.  I had never heard of them and went down a week earlier to check it out.  The day I was in there they had them marked at $249.95.   My initial thought was that it must be a cheap pile of pot metal.  After reading up on them I was quite impressed with the reviews and the quality of the weapon.   Went back to get it this past Sunday and they were now on sale at $219.95.  While it's definitely not a precision target shooter, it turned out to be a pretty damned solid gun.  We ran about 150 rounds through it with no malfunctions and no problems and that thing is tighter than dicks hat band.  The only thing I didn't care for was the DAO trigger which has a very long and heavy pull at 8-9 lbs.

https://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-2-tt-9mm/

Edited by SHOOTER12

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Shooter, the long trigger pull on many of the DAO pocket pistols serves as the “safety” if there is no external button. Wolf makes spring kits for most of these guns if you desire to lighten the trigger pull.

Yes, the no safety aspect is definitely why they do that.  I will check out Wolf to lighten it up a bit.  I think it would surely help the accuracy aspect of it.

Thanks AB.

One of my daughters and her husband & kids are coming over tomorrow for Christmas. I'm going to let her try out the derringer and see if she can work with it. Semi-automatics have been a problem in the past; revolvers not so much so I suspect she'll be able to cock it... even if it takes both thumbs to do it

If it doesn’t work comfortably for her, have her handle a S&W J- frame revolver (5shot .38) or a similar Ruger LCR model. Very easy to operate for anyone and reliable as anything made.  If those work for her ergonomically, then research proper defensive ammo that is designed for those snub guns.

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

One of my daughters and her husband & kids are coming over tomorrow for Christmas. I'm going to let her try out the derringer and see if she can work with it. Semi-automatics have been a problem in the past; revolvers not so much so I suspect she'll be able to cock it... even if it takes both thumbs to do it

Have her try a Beretta Px4 Storm. My wife struggled with every semi-auto slide on the market except this one. 

If it doesn’t work comfortably for her, have her handle a S&W J- frame revolver (5shot .38) or a similar Ruger LCR model. Very easy to operate for anyone and reliable as anything made.  If those work for her ergonomically, then research proper defensive ammo that is designed for those snub guns.

yeah, I ended up having to get my ex (when we were married) a .38. We went to quite a few pawn and gun shops to find something she could operate.  

yeah, I ended up having to get my ex (when we were married) a .38. We went to quite a few pawn and gun shops to find something she could operate.  

57 minutes ago, gasman said:

Have her try a Beretta Px4 Storm. My wife struggled with every semi-auto slide on the market except this one. 

I'll give her husband that suggestion.... or we could go gun shopping while they are here.  hhhmmm

[sorry for the triple post. I dont know what happened]

Edited by Soldierhorn

Smith has the 380 EZ that was designed to be easy to run the slide and operate. It had an early recall but may be lined out by now. 

If this is a house gun instead of a carry gun I’d recommend a K frame, L frame, or GP100 over a J frame. Recoil will be substantially less and the longer sight radius easier to shoot. 

Edited by Archer

9 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This. I'd probably go GP100 as outside of performance center I'm just not a big S&W revolver fan. With that don't go beyond 4" as the weight becomes detrimental for many, and not just women. 

However, the answer is always: Find a range that has a lot of pistols for rental and have them run through various models and see what they like shooting the best.

Yep.  Just practice and practice.  Revolvers are fine.  Bigger frames.  Easier to control.  More intuitive for many users.  If this is strictly for HD, I'd start with motion activated flood lights, a good alarm system, and a dog.  All of which buy you time to get to the weapon and give you time to orient yourself.  Bright lights and a barking dog are going to deter almost any assailant that isn't specifically targeting your house/family.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This too. Would be Intruders don't like lights nor dogs.

Adding security cameras furthers the effect. Being connected to a security response doesn't matter, oddly. Just the sight of cameras which self monitoring will suffice.

I'll throw out what I think is a fantastic home defense weapon for non-gun type of folks. A lever action 357. Super managable recoil and like a revolver, operationally easy. 

Most people are shocked at the performance of a full bore 357 through a rifle. It isn't that far from a 30-30. 

Either of those, with Barnes is more than enough.

For SD in a pistol, I actually really like the Buffalo Bore low flash 357.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=97

Yep.  There's certainly a ballistic comparison.  Used to talk this up for years.  With the longer barrel, the .357/.44 really excel.  Outside of an AR, a .357 lever (with night sights) is maybe the perfect truck gun.  I can never justify the cost, but I'd like a blued (thinking Taylors or 1873) receiver with an octagonal barrel.  Paired with a revolver, it's a perfect match.

Or maybe something like this:

58b3da034761d38a494d3ca2646e89ae.jpg

• Like 2

I have carried a 1911 for a lot of years.  My daily carries include a Novak LW Commander made for me by Wayne Novak with "The Answer" backstrap(no grip safety), Wilson Combat EDC X9 and custom Dan Wesson.  The answer to your query is totally based on your budget.  You can get very inexpensive 1911s by Remington, Rock Island Armory, Taurus, Bersa, etc...  Expect to spend $400-600.  They have MIM parts, loose tolerances and some perform very well while others suck.  Just up from the entry level products are Kimber, Colt, Springfield, SIG.  These will be around $800-1,200 for better tolerances, better accuracy out of the box, better finish, etc...  Next step up would be Dan Wesson.  Better parts, better finish, better tolerances.  $1,100 to $1,600 depending on options.  Next up from this are your semi-customs from Wilson, Nighthawk, Guncrafters, Baer, Brown, Cabot, Alchemy, etc...  These start at $2,000 and typically run $3-5,000.  A whole different level of quality.  These are very well made guns that are typically very accurate and reliable.  Next up from this are your custom guns from Chen, Yost, Heirloom, etc...  They will start at $6,000 and go to $10,000.  

My advice would be to get the best used gun I could afford.  Sights, trigger controls and safeties are easy to upgrade if they are not acceptable.  Resale prices are going to be significantly below new prices.  Most used 1911s have not been shot much and even if they have, they are more broken in and are typically more reliable.  I would jump all over a used Wilson or Baer that had 5,000 rounds thru it.

Disclaimer:  I am an old guy who has a nostalgic attraction to 1911s.  They can be finicky and difficult to master.  I akin them to comparing a Porsche to a Corvette.  The Porsche is the 1911 with a rich history and complex mechanicals.  The Corvette is the Glock with plastic parts but will typically outrun the Porsche every day.  If I think I am going to be in a gunfight, I am wearing my custom Gen 5 19 or custom G30s.  No 1911 that I own is as fast as my Glocks, they are just butt ugly to look at.  My times are faster in any steel challenge or IDPA course with the Glocks.  

• Like 3

I have bought and sold several 1911s but you have options.  A lot of options.  

Rock Island (and others) can get you a very good shooter with all the basics and could be a good first shooter to find what you want.  They have a base model and a tactical model both of which are good to go and liked by plenty.  $

I didn't like SigSauers 1911.  They were different enough from a standard 1911 build that it bugged me so I sold mine. It cost about double what the RIA cost.  $$

Colt makes a great base government model that isn't horribly pricey and has all the look of a classic 1911 and looks great just as it comes.  It also shoots well.  $$

Others in between the RIA and the Colt include Remington, Springfield Armory and all the brands you know and love.  $$

Stepping up from there with tighter tolerances include models from Dan Wesson and competition models from STI.  $$$ serious investments in shooting.  I never got there.  STI used to make some base models I wish I had bought, but I don't see them available on their website anymore.  

But there is a gun for your comfort level in price but most will be great shooters and allow you to customize to make it your own.  

• Like 1

Took the kiddo out to shoot his new Beretta 400 Explor 12 with kickoff he got for Christmas this weekend.  I was pretty skeptical the kickoff would really reduce kick as must as they claim (up to 70%), but i'll be damned if it didn't deliver on that claim and frankly exceed my expectations.  It worked so well and was so light and easy to get on target, I bought myself one and retiring my old tried and true shoulder cannon 870 Magnum.  Neither of us had any shoulder soreness of pain after putting several hundred rounds through the thing.  That is huge for both of us.  For him because hes only 10.  For me because I have had my gun shoulder rebuilt 5 times, and it gets cranky pretty easily.  

• Like 1

Want to give a quick shoutout to Cole's Fine Guns in Naples, FL.

I've been looking for an entry level left handed 20/28 gauge combo for some time for my 12 year old who is getting into skeet shooting. Shopped all around Houston and the internet the past couple of weeks. Nobody had one and both Collectors and Briley said there were no manufacturers who made them anymore, even if I wanted to do a custom order. Larry Feland said he could bend anything I wanted to buy, but that really wasn't appealing unless I couldn't find a true LH stock at all. 

I found Cole's on another message board and called them up this morning and they offered to swap out the stock on a Beretta 686 SP1 20/28 with a house-made stock for just the cost of the gun plus $150 labor and no extra charge for the LH wood. They'll just keep the factory RH stock for use later. 

Exactly what I was trying to buy (I'm a Beretta guy) and almost no extra cost at all compared to a RH gun. I am very gruntled.

FWIW - my son is currently shooting a Benelli M2 semiautomatic 20 gauge which has been OK, but not great. OK because that was the only subgauge I could find that was left-handed, but not great because there are some seriously poorly designed parts and being an inertia gun it still kicks pretty good. I'm very hopeful the over under gun will work out much better for him. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

One of these days, I will own the “King” they have.  Some of their high end stuff is amazing. Takes Joel Etchen and ramps it up a notch. Joel Etchen used to keep quite a few lefties in stock iirc.  Might check into them as well. 

The M2 thing is crazy to me. I’ve stated on this thread (I think, was wrt Pepper Brooks kids shotgun) that the M2 20 I’ve shot on occasion was the lightest recoil I can recall. Was such a sweet shooting gun. Not my gun so I don’t have a ton of time behind it, but I remember the recoil being nonexistent.  

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

One of these days, I will own the “King” they have.  Some of their high end stuff is amazing. Takes Joel Etchen and ramps it up a notch. Joel Etchen used to keep quite a few lefties in stock iirc.  Might check into them as well. 

The M2 thing is crazy to me. I’ve stated on this thread (I think, was wrt Pepper Brooks kids shotgun) that the M2 20 I’ve shot on occasion was the lightest recoil I can recall. Was such a sweet shooting gun. Not my gun so I don’t have a ton of time behind it, but I remember the recoil being nonexistent.  

Etchen's has several 687 20/28 SP3's for a thousand dollars more than I wanted to spend (and much nicer than a 12 year old needs - hence "entry level") and said that's all they had and all I would find. I was almost prepared to bite the bullet and buy one of those until I got in touch with Cole. 

The main problem I had/have with the M2 is that the release button is still in the same place on the right side of the gun, opposite the lefthand ejection port. So even though it doesn't throw empties across his face, he still has to flip the gun upside down to close it after putting in a shell and sometimes they fall out. It seems really lazy that they couldn't move the button to the same side as the port. 

Also, the magazine is really hard to load for some reason. Every other semiautomatic (or pump) I've ever used you could just pop in shells very quickly and lightly, but on that M2 you really kind of have to force it in. The spring is a little stiff and the opening is just deep enough that you have to push it in a little further with your finger than on other guns. He's fought with it a year and I finally decided it was time for him to upgrade to an O/U. 

Recoil is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. 

Maybe my M2 is just a dud or maybe the LH version isn't as finely tuned as the RH.  I'm not getting rid of it - I never get rid of any gun - I'll probably just take it to the cleaners and let them break it down and then I'll throw it in the safe and he can use it for a dove gun or something in the future. 

I read “getting into it” as “realization he’ll end up with a K-gun”. 

My experience with the M2 is very limited. But I do remember the recoil specifically. That gun also had a minor issue, which was a very expensive one to fix properly, something with the rib.  Gun belongs to a poster here, so I’ll let him chime in on the specifics if we wants.  Gun is his very petite wife’s, and was such a sweet handler/swinger/recoil I thought about picking one up after that round of minis - I’m not a semi auto guy, at all. Crushed the minis on that shoot. 

• Like 1

If he wants to spend that much money to get a K Gun he can get a job and pay for one himself... LOL

My skeet gun is a 20 year old Beretta 682 Sporting. I took it to Feland about a year ago and had it fitted and ended up with 1.5 more inches on the butt and another inch or so cast off. (I'm  big right-handed guy) That thing is a heavy monster now but my scores have improved a lot over the past 12 months since I started shooting a gun that fits me right, which is part of the reason I want my son to get left-handed wood and start moving in the direction of a better fitted gun.

I’m jealous af of all my buddies kids that were all brought up right wrt correct eye dominant shooting. Almost all of them shoot left, but are right handed. No way I can re-learn.  

Over Christmas I was back home and noticed 3 or 4 kids had “Brazoswood High Skeet Team” stickers on their trucks. 2 of them were girls. 2 of the trucks also had Caesar Guerini stickers. Spoiled ass kids - they got a sporting clay team we didn’t have, and I guess that comes with a new daddy provided CG.  

2 hours ago, thestud said:

01031181a7fb0b6cd667c4d2074366c3.jpg

Did this a few days ago. Got a call this morning that it was in. Now to wait 7-9 months to take it home. Thanks a lot Uncle Sam

I bought a Hydrid back in July when they were running the buy one get one free promo.  Was initially hoping for March, but who the fuck knows now.

Dammit.  Hadn't even considered the shutdown while I wait for my DDMk18 and Surefire SOCOM suppressor.

Yeah all my agents are in subtle fuck you mode except for those that we are prepping for trial...

But most of us are currently in subtle fuck you mode...

So shit is getting done but as slowly as possible