The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Unless you are going with something special and just want good glass in an affordable chassis, look at Vortex, Rudolph, or Riton.

Models based on what you like -/ need.  I've had good luck with all three for general purpose scopes in the last 18-24 months.

If you want to climb the scale from there you enter the Leupold, Swarof., Zeiss of the world.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GottaB said:

Need advice on a scope:
Remington SPS 700 .270

One thing to remember:  clarity > magnification

The "top" scopes (Swar, Zeiss, etc) have both.  Which is why they all cost 4 figures.  Personally, I like Vortex (Viper), but I also killed dozens upon dozens of deer with my grandfathers x4 Weaver.  

If this is a blind-gun, taking shots < 100yds, you have tons of options and don't need all the bells/whistles of the more expensive options.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. That gives me a starting off point for pricing some stuff.

Price point?
Main use?

Might use it for deer. I’ve never gone but a friend of mine has a lease and we’ll head out there in a couple weeks. Might just be a once a year range trip to BOTW. Not real sure yet. The gun I think is a $600 gun so I had always heard the scope should be about that so maybe $400-600.

9 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Try NYcameraland and look at their demos. Same for Europtic. Ive picked up some swaros with full warranty that way. No tax and quick shipping. Great guys to deal with.

Great idea - Same for SWFA.com and their "Sample List"  of demos, display models, and trade-ins.  Probably a bit picked over right now due to the season, but a good way to get a deal.

SWFA Sample List

13 hours ago, GottaB said:

Might use it for deer. I’ve never gone but a friend of mine has a lease and we’ll head out there in a couple weeks. Might just be a once a year range trip to BOTW. Not real sure yet. The gun I think is a $600 gun so I had always heard the scope should be about that so maybe $400-600.

FYI, Camofire has a Sig Sauer scope on sale for 54% off (new, not a refurb).  Heck of a deal.  I'm kind of a Camofire fanboy and get a ton of stuff from them.  They are great to work with and their CS is responsive and easy to deal with.  

SIG SAUER WHISKEY 3 4-12 X 40MM ILLUMINATED RETICLE RIFLESCOPE

$219.99  $479.99
54% OFF

CamoFire Scope on sale

If you want to up your price point a little and go big-baller, they also have a Kruger.  You'll need special mounts for such a large reticle (56mm) but you will LOVE the clarity.

KRUGER KPS 3.5-15X56MM BALLISTIC RIFLESCOPE

$499.99  $906.00
45% OFF

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Camofire is addictive.  I check it almost daily.  If you want more of an online, outlet option where you can search/pick & choose - check out BlackOvis (same company).  They have a great selection of items

BlackOvis

yes.. i made an account there and get an email every day. 

bought a forsetti steel knife for about 1/2 what i had seen them before.

pretty cool stuff on there.

21 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10x44 or a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 would be a helluva choice.

Look at Opticsplanet.com or similar sites for deals.

You don't need more magnification than that and both have great glass.

great suggestion.  Opticsplanet had my head spinning.  

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

FYI, Camofire has a Sig Sauer scope on sale for 54% off (new, not a refurb).  Heck of a deal.  I'm kind of a Camofire fanboy and get a ton of stuff from them.  They are great to work with and their CS is responsive and easy to deal with.  

SIG SAUER WHISKEY 3 4-12 X 40MM ILLUMINATED RETICLE RIFLESCOPE

$219.99  $479.99
54% OFF

CamoFire Scope on sale

If you want to up your price point a little and go big-baller, they also have a Kruger.  You'll need special mounts for such a large reticle (56mm) but you will LOVE the clarity.

KRUGER KPS 3.5-15X56MM BALLISTIC RIFLESCOPE

$499.99  $906.00
45% OFF

So I went with the Sig for now.  

On 11/6/2018 at 3:03 PM, thestud said:

Vortex Crossfire II series. Reasonably priced and great quality.

I looked at a few today.  Great suggestions.  

On 11/6/2018 at 2:24 PM, Reagan1k said:

Unless you are going with something special and just want good glass in an affordable chassis, look at Vortex, Rudolph, or Riton.

Models based on what you like -/ need.  I've had good luck with all three for general purpose scopes in the last 18-24 months.

If you want to climb the scale from there you enter the Leupold, Swarof., Zeiss of the world.

I was looking at leupold, vortex and nikon at academy.  All seem like great options especially in the $200-400 range.  

Like I mentioned above, I went with the sig.  Seemed like I couldn't go wrong with that as the first scope I will have purchased.  My dad's rifle still has one on it and it is zeroed.  The remington has the scope that came with it in a trade a couple years ago.  The name on the scope (Mueller) isn't anything I recognized and didn't seem very good which is what had me shopping.  I think the Sig will be better than what my dad's rifle has mounted currently and way better than the mueller on the remington.  If I feel the need to improve, I'll take another look at the Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10x44 or a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 mentioned by reagan.  thanks for the help

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GottaB said:

Like I mentioned above, I went with the sig.  Seemed like I couldn't go wrong with that as the first scope I will have purchased.  My dad's rifle still has one on it and it is zeroed.  The remington has the scope that came with it in a trade a couple years ago.  The name on the scope (Mueller) isn't anything I recognized and didn't seem very good which is what had me shopping.  I think the Sig will be better than what my dad's rifle has mounted currently and way better than the mueller on the remington.  

It's a win-win proposition with the quality of optics these days.  

Next, get some really good mounts.  Take it to a shop and have them mount the scope and bore-sight it for you.  Then you can get it on paper.  

If I feel the need to improve, I'll take another look at the Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10x44 or a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 mentioned by reagan.  thanks for the help

Yeah, no....that'a called "Honey, I need a new gun".  

11 hours ago, GottaB said:

5561b2ebc4e882149fb53dec82f9b5cf.jpg

Good call on the Sigsauer Whiskey 3 scope from camofire. My Remington SPS 700 in .270 thanks you.

Final 3 shot group @100 yards.

I did not use a gun rack, just what they had available.

ddb5c042279793a75d7a81a6dd547558.jpg

Far left round was from another grouping.

Looks good.  Yeah, range accommodations are hit or miss.  I got a "Lead Sled" a while back.  Love the thing.  Those rest bags you can fill with shot or sand work well also when you are really trying to see what your rifle can group at.  

Thats a damn good deal if its indeed match.  I've got a threaded barrel obviously as you see above but I wouldn't mind having it in black.  I've also got a non threaded ZEV barrel, dimple gold for that playa look.

fuck it...ordered one anyway

Edited by deft

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve never been able to post pics because internet is difficult. Anyhow, merry Christmas to FF. .270 Wby that will sit next to her sister and my go to .257 Wby. 203e27b0a5e368a6481437eeda07dd7b.jpgae277d827ff9a2fa1ba0692ce7d15fee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed power scope?  Looks old school, like the old x4 Weaver my g-fathers guns had on them.  

Yeah you definitely can’t just toss them in the back of the Jeep and go, but second nature for me to hold them close as I’ve never owned a synthetic anything (aside from a Ruger 9mm). 

All my rifles have some type of figured wood. Need to start working on my forever shotgun budget, but every single time I get ready a can’t pass up rifle finds me.  I’ve got 2 in the queue right now but  the wife would have a shit fit. 

It’s an old ass Bausch & Lomb 2.5x8. Will keep it for whatever reason but she’ll get something new. If she groups like my .257 then it’ll likely be a Z5.  If she can’t take advantage of that, VX3-5. 
PM me if you want to get rid of the old optic. Got an old family rifle that needs new glass. Don't feel like throwing any new, wiz-bang scope on her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I have a lot of expensive 22lr in my ammo cans relative to what you can get it for right now.

That thunderbolt is some very dirty stuff. Would much rather shoot Golden Bullets if shooting Rem bullets.

I've still got a bunch from before 2012 that I got for $14/550 but probably have more that was $25/500 or more.

I need a jug of oil tonight and saw WM had winchester M22 for $42/1k. Been buying a lot of that as it works well in my kids M&P-22.

• Like 1

Recs for 150gr precision factory loads in 308? I gotta do some paper punching on some qualification targets to get on my club's longer ranges.

I normally punch paper with Freedom Arms remans and I get flyers. Possible the issue is me and not the remans but I gotta start eliminating issues.

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Bought this bad boy for my son for Christmas.  Pretty excited to see how the kickoff stock works, and if it really does reduce kick by 70% as advertised.  Anyone else have, or shot this gun?  Didn't buy it here, but this is the gun.  

https://www.cabelas.com/product/null/1821617.uts

Berettas are my favorite shotguns.  The kick-off does work, I don't have one in my semi-auto but I have shot them. 

The two main things to reduce felt recoil are proper fit and gun mount to the shoulder.  It should be pulled tight to the shoulder.  After that is stance and all the other stuff. 

Good luck.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1