The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

19 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Any recs for a .308 bolt gun for hunting white tail and pigs? Budget around 500. Gonna put a zeiss conquest hd5 on it

Been looking at savage and Winchester xpr

As said above a Savage would be a good choice.... better than the xrp IMO and I’m a Winchester fan.  If you are a little flexible on calibers, CDNN sports has some Browning Abolts on clearance for under $500 in .270, 6.5 cm and 30-06.  That would be worth a look and would all do what the .308 will do based on your goals.  The Mico Stalker in 6.5 Creedmoor would be a helluva Texas hunting gun under $500 and topped with your scope. ($424 after rebate). 

As said above a Savage would be a good choice.... better than the xrp IMO and I’m a Winchester fan.  If you are a little flexible on calibers, CDNN sports has some Browning Abolts on clearance for under $500 in .270, 6.5 cm and 30-06.  That would be worth a look and would all do what the .308 will do based on your goals.  The Mico Stalker in 6.5 Creedmoor would be a helluva Texas hunting gun under $500 and topped with your scope. ($424 after rebate). 

I’ve got an A-bolt that is a great rifle. Accurate as heck for a stock rifle.

Any recs for a .308 bolt gun for hunting white tail and pigs? Budget around 500. Gonna put a zeiss conquest hd5 on it

Tikkas in my opinion are some of the best value rifles out there.
Ive got an older T3 in stainless .22-250 and its a slick little doe, javi & coyote killing machine.
Check em out before you make a decision.

I’m intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmoor. I hear the ammo is pretty expensive though. I have a 240 Weatherby which is almost $4/round for hunting loads. I figured the .308 would be a bit cheaper for knocking down pigs

Also, my understanding is the zeiss scope I have is intended to be used with a .308

I’m more of a hunter than a gun guy, so been trying to figure this stuff out. Appreciate the replies

Agree on Tikka very much- just doesnt hit his $500 benchmark. Tikka and Bergera are both great values out of the box. 

If your Zeis is truly caliber specific then that is obviously a sticking point.  I’m not aware of the HD5 being sold as a caliber specific scope but that doesn’t mean it isn’t-  I just haven’t ever seen it.  

6.5 Ammo is a bit pricier than .308 but not anywhere near any WTHB caliber.  Sub-$2.00 / round all day long. 

It’s a great round-  no better or worse than a .308 for your stated goals- both will kill any deer or hog in Texas DRT, but that’s a helluva deal on a browning if the 6.5 is an option. 

On 12/8/2018 at 4:10 PM, pepper brooks said:

Bought this bad boy for my son for Christmas.  Pretty excited to see how the kickoff stock works, and if it really does reduce kick by 70% as advertised.  Anyone else have, or shot this gun?  Didn't buy it here, but this is the gun.  

https://www.cabelas.com/product/null/1821617.uts

70% less than other semi autos, no. It is a light recoil gun, and a very nice one at that.  The system does work and there are other similar systems that are highly regarded in the sporting clay arena. There is also lots of aftermarket support for the A400 if he gets into sporting clays/skeet.  It is basically the “new” 391 which was a Beretta mainstay for a few decades.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Yep sorry.
Just looked on Gunbroker. $575 was cheapest I could find a .308 T3 in stainless.

Worth the slight budget bump.  Tikka is a fantastic platform.  As for caliber, meh.  It's a pig.  Anywhere from a 6mm/.243 up to a .300 Win Mag will do the job.  .308 is a fine choice.  6.5CM is the new kid on the block that really shines out past 500yds (due to it's superior ballistic coefficient).  For what you are needing, it's a negligible difference.  

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

70% less than other semi autos, no. It is a light recoil gun, and a very nice one at that.  The system does work and there are other similar systems that are highly regarded in the sporting clay arena. There is also lots of aftermarket support for the A400 if he gets into sporting clays/skeet.  It is basically the “new” 391 which was a Beretta mainstay for a few decades.  

Any time I read 'highly regarded' in these forums I have to pause and consider the context in which it's being used.  Anyone else?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

but can anyone give me a legitimate reason why I should not purchase this PTR 9CT?

Go sit in the corner and choke yourself.  A legitimate reason why you should NOT purchase something that sweet?  There are no reasons NOT to purchase that if you have the means.  Get to it son.  Then report back!  9mm platforms are just ridiculously fun.  Scorpion.  Beretta.  All the AR options.  Cheap to shoot.  Not all that loud.  Surprisingly accurate.  Easy for kids and smaller shooters.  What's not to love.

*and they make a fantastic home defense option if you are at all concerned about interior wall over-penetration (compared to a shotgun or 5.56)

6 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I already have a CZ Scorpion SBR, so have the 9mm SMG style itch sort of scratched, but can anyone give me a legitimate reason why I should not purchase this PTR 9CT?

ptr-9ct-brace-promo-1-of-2-jpg.jpg

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ptr-9ct-9x19mm-pistol

That's like saying somebody convince me not to buy this tomahawk. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You sure about the over penetration? I was thinking with defense ammo that the 5.56 was less of a risk that handguns.

It all depends upon the ammo type.  Even with PSP's the risk of penetration is high due to the extreme velocity of the rounds.  If you are using cheaper ammo like Wolf or others, often they have a steel core and/or are jacketed.  Those are often not even allowed at most ranges (see their "FMJ" clauses).

You have the same concerns with a carbine utilizing pistol rounds; albeit at lower velocities.  Both are infinitely better options than a shotgun or pistol for HD options.  AR is vastly more versatile as it can be used for longer range practice shooting, hunting, pigs, etc.  Both have the desirable longer sight radius than a pistol and are thus easier to control and fire accurately.  They have virtually no recoil so smaller shooters love practicing with them and they are just so easy to operate accurately.  Put a can on one, and you get awful close to "Hollywood quiet" as well.  

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Why would you want a 5.56 that couldn't penetrate sheetrock?

It's not the sheetrock.  A .117 or .22 Gamso Whisper air rifle will penetrate sheetrock.  It's the boards, studs, nails, and brick behind it.  As long as you are using frangible rounds (read as HP's) it's a non-issue.  I just have a love for 9mm carbines.  Back me into a corner and make me choose only one option, it's the AR in 5.56 every time.  This is why most SWAT teams migrated from the pistol rounds to the 5.56 for breaching.  What I've seen over the years as people tend to shoot the pistol-caliber carbines more accurately under duress - less recoil.  Less muzzle flash.  Not nearly as loud.  Training and familiarity wash these out obviously.  

On 12/11/2018 at 4:29 AM, RPM said:

Also snagged an ATN X-Sight 4K PRO 5-20X off ebay for $639. Santa has been kind this year.

opplanet-atn-x-sight-4k-5-20x-pro-editio

Delivered yesterday and I've been playing with it all night. Very cool. Surprisingly light for the punch it packs, about 2 pounds. The stock IR light that comes with it is very good. Bluetooth and wifi, 18 hour batt life, usb recharge. This was money well spent. A Surly 1%er toy at a definitely un1%er price. They still have some left at this price.

giphy.gif

Edited by RPM

On 12/15/2018 at 8:56 AM, RPM said:

Delivered yesterday and I've been playing with it all night. Very cool. Surprisingly light for the punch it packs, about 2 pounds. The stock IR light that comes with it is very good. Bluetooth and wifi, 18 hour batt life, usb recharge. This was money well spent. A Surly 1%er toy at a definitely un1%er price. They still have some left at this price.

giphy.gif

The factory IR light works well, but I hate those CR123 batteries.  I bought this one on Amazon and it is great.  The rechargeable battery feature is great of course, but the little activation dongle/pressure switch is the best feature over the factory IR light that comes with the optic.  

On 12/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, mapplewhite132 said:

As most of my gun searches go, I've raised my budget a bit. I went and looked at a Bergara 14 HMR at my local gun shop yesterday, and really liked it. The interwebs seem to have nothing but good things to say about it. I have a "western" rifle already in 300 win mag, so I think i'd be okay with lugging this 9lb rifle to the deer stand and back. 

Anyone here have one?

On 12/17/2018 at 11:41 AM, cabowabo said:

The factory IR light works well, but I hate those CR123 batteries.  I bought this one on Amazon and it is great.  The rechargeable battery feature is great of course, but the little activation dongle/pressure switch is the best feature over the factory IR light that comes with the optic.  

Be nice if I actually posted a link. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T43DJUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

17 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

As most of my gun searches go, I've raised my budget a bit. I went and looked at a Bergara 14 HMR at my local gun shop yesterday, and really liked it. The interwebs seem to have nothing but good things to say about it. I have a "western" rifle already in 300 win mag, so I think i'd be okay with lugging this 9lb rifle to the deer stand and back. 

Anyone here have one?

It's developed somewhat of a cult following.  It's earned praise.  They are exceptional rifles and deserve all the accolades they are receiving.  Matched with comparable quality glass, it's a true 1,000yd rifle.  

Can we talk a bit about Cerakote?    

I'm looking to dump a Model 70 Coyote light action/barrel into a VERY nice supergrade stock i picked up, 22-250.  The action is matte blued, and the barrel is matte stainless.  I am a very big fan of deeply blued guns, and I'm not a fan of stainless, at all.  This isn't a mountain rifle I'll be using to stalk goats with, stainless is completely out of place here, imo.  So my option is to re-barrel, which sucks as these coyote lights have a very good report for accuracy out of the box, and more economical than going aftermarket barrel route.  If I re-barrel it, I'll likely just go ahead and bump up to 22-250AI.    Or I can Cerakote it.  I've read ALOT about it, and there is no way it will ever pass muster as deeply blued rifle like my Wbys or Colt Sauers.  But does is get close?  Any of you ever done similar?  I don't have anything with Cerakote.  I understand it's really high quality, I just don't have the experience.  It runs about $350 for the entirety to be done, so a bit cheaper than re-barreling.  

So, cerakote and keep everything stock?  or try any and pick up an action somewhere cheap, then re-barrel, have deep blued, and potentially go wildcat with it?

Doesn't look too bad?

• Like 1

Interesting piece. I wonder what the shot pattern spread looks like at 20 feet?

Bought this nice pig lined El Paso Saddlery made holster at Texas Jack's in Fredericksburg a few weeks ago for my Single Seven Birdshead. It was made to fit the Uberti/Cimarron .38 Lightning, but proved to be just a bit too tight for the .327 Ruger. Thought I was gonna have to return it. However, it fits the little Bearcat just right....

966-EF190-7-D8-C-4-D48-BF9-E-66-A9-DD9-A

• Like 2

Cerakote:  I have my original Rem. 788 in .243 that was my 1st rifle.  Must be about 45 years old now.  It was beat to hell and the safety/trigger sucked but it still drives tacs.  788's are notoriously accurate despite their original price - point.

I wanted to restore it and make it safer to use so I dropped a Timney 788 replacement kit in it and had the whole thing cerakoted to look as if it was blued.  Looks awesome and you'd never know it wasn't factory blued unless you were really inspecting it.

Go for it.  Look for a CERTIFIED Cerakote Application Center and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

20 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Cerakote:  I have my original Rem. 788 in .243 that was my 1st rifle.  Must be about 45 years old now.  It was beat to hell and the safety/trigger sucked but it still drives tacs.  788's are notoriously accurate despite their original price - point.

I wanted to restore it and make it safer to use so I dropped a Timney 788 replacement kit in it and had the whole thing cerakoted to look as if it was blued.  Looks awesome and you'd never know it wasn't factory blued unless you were really inspecting it.

Go for it.  Look for a CERTIFIED Cerakote Application Center and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

That's what I needed to hear.  You don't happen to recall which color, or if they added any additional hardening to it (apparently makes it shinier)?