The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

5 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I currently have my own range with IDPA style steel, 8" plates, 4" and 6" trees, 1/2 size IDPA, etc....   Do all of my training from concealed(AIWB) and with a timer.  I have inquired at a couple and they were no drawing, no timer, no rapid fire, etc...   For a hobby I do some personal protection, bodyguard type work and shoot/train 100 rounds per week because it's fun and I enjoy it.

I feel you.  Can't help with Austin, but I share your enthusiasm for recoil-therapy.  At our family land I've constructed a similar pistol range with plates & barriers.  Are there any "clubs" in the area?  I ask, because Frisco Gun Club affords members certain lane latitudes with various classes, etc to hone drawing, timed responses, etc.  Did a modified version on the old FBI "21ft rule".  Tougher than it looks/seems.  

8 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Kids are grown and out of the house, phasing out the work life and looking at moving to Austin.  Are there any good ranges for defensive handgun shooting?  I currently have my own range with IDPA style steel, 8" plates, 4" and 6" trees, 1/2 size IDPA, etc....   Do all of my training from concealed(AIWB) and with a timer.  I have inquired at a couple and they were no drawing, no timer, no rapid fire, etc...   For a hobby I do some personal protection, bodyguard type work and shoot/train 100 rounds per week because it's fun and I enjoy it.  We will be living on the west side, outside 360.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

Try The outdoor range called Best of the West.

• Like 2

Try The outdoor range called Best of the West.

BotW was great. Currently their rifle range is down as some developers claim rounds are leaving the range or some thing. They do have tactical bays where you can set up your own course. Here are regulars that routinely set up groups to run courses. Check Texas gun talk forum for more info.

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Rounds leaving the range sounds like gross negligence to me

Sounds like bad shooting. Build the berms higher, or don’t build a development anywhere near a shooting range.

it’s like the idiots who buy a house near an airport then complain about the noise.

“Claimed” 

Yeah. My friend went out to sight in a rifle and was told they couldn’t. It was suggested that the “impact site” wasn’t logistically possible in their opinion.

My thought is the developer went out and placed a couple rounds on their own and claimed they were from the range.

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Sounds like bad shooting. Build the berms higher, or don’t build a development anywhere near a shooting range.

it’s like the idiots who buy a house near an airport then complain about the noise.

It's a chicken or egg thing.  I could just as easily argue that I bought nice, quiet land in the country and some asshole built a range next door.   Now my property value is fucked because I can't develop the land?  The range hasn't "always" been there. 

My thought is the developer went out and placed a couple rounds on their own and claimed they were from the range.

I know a few Katy/Fulshear/Richmond developers and home builders that have been known to pop coyotes and pigs with .223s on MUD/levee land.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not us. Don’t know nothing bout it. Must have been some good’ol country boys.

Let's talk EDC.  What are you carrying?  What holster do you use?  I ask because I'm going to move on from my ported M&P Shield.  Really giving strong consideration to the new 43X.  Always been somewhat of a Glock fanboy.  Lighter trigger.  Not a fan of the re-set on the Shield trigger.  Familiar with the brand (have an old 19).  Anyone have any experience with the 43X?  Pros/cons?

Also, now with warmer weather upon us, does anyone vary their EDC by season (slimmer/smaller in the warmer months, larger that is easier to conceal during colder)?  

Edited by BabaYaga

EDC - (with pants on) is a SIG 938. 90% of the time it’s in a DeSantis ankle holster. The rest in a DeSatis pocket pouch/holster.

I also carry a Ruger LCP, also in a DeSantis pocket holster, when wearing “gym/drawstring shorts”. Shorts with belt depends on pocket depths to decide on either the LCP or 938.

Both of those are 6 shot mags, so I actually carry an extra mag in the opposite pocket. You never know?

Winter (jacket all day) OWB holster has multiple or larger pieces/caliber options of course!

Ha, I traded in my XDS-9 for the LCP 2.  I just didn't like the grip safety, but it shot great and otherwise was a fantastic pistol.  I have a mag for the LCP 2 with the pinky extension and it works fine for me.  Agree on the Ruger rifle, I have several of their 556s.  Great rifles.

You get acquainted with the pinky under the mag quite quickly - with practice. My first EDC firearm was the Glock 27 and although a double-stack grip, the pinky still went under. I only shot the extended mag at the range (extra mags), but without the extra “finger slot” helped conceal in an ankle holster. Mine would “print” on the back of my leg.

SIG 938 is considerably thinner than my G-27 and the main reason I changed. I also like that I have a one in the pipe and cocked & locked! I also love the 1911 platform.

The only problem I’ve had with the LCP and the original .380 (can’t remember the model Ruger copied) was when really trying to rapid-fire, I’d stove-pipe around round 4-5. Not every time, but it seemed like every range session.

It’s just too light of an action in my IMO to really rapid fire - even with a good firm base.

Shield 9 in a tier1concealed.

G17 knightfall customs

a9bbfee203316fca24fc938d1e1be918.jpg

Also have a g36 but I carry it less and less and have been thinking about getting rid of it because it’s the only .45 I have.

The “full-size” x d post above made me remember when I used to carry a 5” xd40 tactical in a crossbreed. Way too big but the 17 aiwb seems fine.

• Like 2

My old LCP - god, what an awful trigger....

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

You get acquainted with the pinky under the mag quite quickly - with practice. My first EDC firearm was the Glock 27 and although a double-stack grip, the pinky still went under.

So I carried for a time a friend's old G26 to see how I liked it.  That stumpy little double-stack grip is awkward to fire well.  Why I'm so enamored with the 43x.  Longer, slim handle that I can tuck up close to me and get my hands around.  My thought process is to go hard on one single pistol.  Train relentlessly with it.  Become proficient with it and carry as often as I can.

• Like 1

My carry rotation:

Warm weather - LCP or Kahr CT380 in Desantis or Remora pocket holsters. The Kahr has a longer grip with a 7 Round magazine vs. 6 for the LCP, but I have small hands anyway. Don’t carry an extra mag.

Jacket weather - Kahr CW9 in a Remora IWB clip holster (appendix or 4 O’clock carry).

might consider the Sig P365.

Edited by Armybrat

My only exceptions to carrying is airplanes, courthouses, and the shower.

I have always carried the “most caliber” that my clothing will allow to be worn and comfortably. It’s tough during months where the weather gets ( and stays) above 85.

Some people might scoff at the LCP, but when running a quick errand in “stretchy waisted” shorts and sandals, at least I have it with me.

I used to have a heavy assed Bond derringer, that I bought for that purpose, but it would pull those type of shorts down. It was a great back pocket “snake gun” while weed eating at the range - loaded with CCI .45LC shot shells. That was before they made the longer barrels for .410 shells.

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My old LCP - god, what an awful trigger....

So I carried for a time a friend's old G26 to see how I liked it.  That stumpy little double-stack grip is awkward to fire well.  Why I'm so enamored with the 43x.  Longer, slim handle that I can tuck up close to me and get my hands around.  My thought process is to go hard on one single pistol.  Train relentlessly with it.  Become proficient with it and carry as often as I can.

LCP is vastly superior to its predecessor.  Great trigger.

4 minutes ago, thestud said:

Does it have “Noisy Cricket” engraved on the side?

I’ve been on a .22 and .25 kick the last few years. Every time I come across a cheap Raven or something similar I grab it. Never carried them but they are fun little guns for sure.

No engravings.  But it's fun to shoot.  It was my 'gateway' gun leading to my PMR 30.  THAT...is easily my most fun gun to shoot.  

Went to the range for the first time in on Friday after carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand about a month ago. The doctor said that once the stitches were out after the first week there were no restrictions on activity beyond whatever pain I could stand. It was pretty tender for about a month but I didn't encounter anything that made me curse. Friday I was cursing after 100 rounds of 9MM. 

Right hand is very weak and I was missing everything low and right. When I finished my hand was throbbing. 

Told my wife that I'm just going to have to go back more often that usual for "rehab" over the next few weeks. 

I ended up just returning the Taurus 905.  Did not want to mess with it and really who needs a revolver chambered in 9mm?  Not me.

I took the plunge on my first NFA items, a couple of Griffin suppressors from Silencer Shop.  I went with the single shot trust option on both of them.  Had to go down the road to get finger printed at one of their kiosks, that was the only pain in the ass part.  I could not get the rolled fingerprints to scan 'good' to save my life.  Had to do my left thumb like 25 times.  It's annoying having to jump through all of these hoops for a suppressor.

Added another take off supergrade stock to my collection. Will likely put a gently massaged .308 or 7-08 in it. I’m a 308 fan but already have some, don’t have a 7-08 yet. It’s sans checkering from the factory so I’ve been looking into something different there, maybe some variation of their factory fleur de lis. And it’ll lose the black pad for red.
c61113e36c0b76a38be8b4584b9cb597.jpg
6ec9189b4862d5b52593ec560c4f4b6e.jpg
fc8423770bfb07d50773be426621a6bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2