The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Just one extra mag? I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

So tasty. A classic for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Heheh, if you love Mosins and Hi-Points I have good news.

I won't be driving up the cost based on supply and demand. You're welcome.

Lol - HP's are hot garbage.  I will say in terms of "felt recoil" (if you believe that's a thing) the worst pain I've encountered was from this little MN carbine with the original wood stock and metal butt plate (this includes a bolt-action .50 BMG that wasn't all that bad).

F.....U....snappy little bastard.  Helped a friend sight it in.  Good lord I hate that little gun.  7.65x54 is a decently hot round and again, that tiny little metal butt plate sucks big buckets of ass.  Drives back into your shoulder like a hammer.  BUT, when you add a new stock they are accurate, fun guns.  Hell on pigs as a truck gun.  

• Haha 1

Those Hi-Point carbines are nice little reliable guns. Ugly, but everyone should ride a scooter every once in a while. And, yeah, a 50 BMG bolt action isn't bad with a decent muzzle break. It's more of a really hard push. Shoot it prone, however, and you won't want to shoot it like that much longer. I need to get mine out and have some fun with it sometime. It's probably been a year and a half at least since I last shot it.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:12 PM, fattyflattie said:

Added another take off supergrade stock to my collection. Will likely put a gently massaged .308 or 7-08 in it. I’m a 308 fan but already have some, don’t have a 7-08 yet. It’s sans checkering from the factory so I’ve been looking into something different there, maybe some variation of their factory fleur de lis. And it’ll lose the black pad for red.
c61113e36c0b76a38be8b4584b9cb597.jpg
6ec9189b4862d5b52593ec560c4f4b6e.jpg
fc8423770bfb07d50773be426621a6bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you get something like that and do you have to really action specific?

On 4/26/2019 at 11:40 PM, TexasEd said:

Where do you get something like that and do you have to really action specific?

I get them off of the auction sites.  They are action specific as they are full take offs. So long action, short action, and rarely the short mag actions pop up.   Over the last however many years they’ve covered pretty much all the standard calibers, so you can then locate a donor or have a custom action/barrel put in.   They are expensive, sort of.  But when you look at the cost of a full custom stock it’s not even in same ballpark. They aren’t quite as nice as a custom either, but for the value factor of nice to price, they are hard to beat. 

I don’t see many 700’s/ruger/savage etc or I’d have a few of them too.  There’s an outfit that takes old Mark V’s and builds custom guns out of them and they usually gave a few takeoffs for sale.   They strip the laquer and do an English oiled look. They are nice but haven’t seen any that fit the bill quite yet. 

On 4/26/2019 at 10:05 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

And, yeah, a 50 BMG bolt action isn't bad with a decent muzzle break. It's more of a really hard push. Shoot it prone, however, and you won't want to shoot it like that much longer. I need to get mine out and have some fun with it sometime. It's probably been a year and a half at least since I last shot it.

Yep.  Bought from a friend that needed to unload it.  Rifle.  Scope.  300+ rounds.  Played with it for a while then doubled my money.  Destroyed a few things like bowling balls and printers, etc.  Killed a doe with with.  Just such a PITA to shoot and hard to shoot accurately.  

The deer BTW, she just fell over.  Didn't get cut in half.  Fly through the air.  No big cloud of red mist.  Just two nickle-sized holes.  

On 4/29/2019 at 9:19 PM, BurntEyes said:

Baba - Page or two back you were discussing a Glock 43X 

LGS had a Limited edit Davidson's Amerigo Bold (don't hold me to the spelling)

It had WAY better sights than factory or even factory Night 

Fuck... Now I want one. It's a legit piece and that model is a BIG step up from the standard 43.

Edit - LGS had it right around $500. YMMV

tenor.gif?itemid=5297975

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, for a minute there I thought I might have to check to see if my safe & locking closets had been messed with.

A lot of those handguns look like nice Rugers, S&Ws, & Colts. See the Python set aside? Bet that never makes it to the evidence locker at the cop shop. Goddam crying shame most of those will be destroyed because of the stupid local & state laws.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thestud said:

I’d tap the brakes on throwing him under the bus and accusing him of financing terrorists. California is an ass backward state that has some communistic gun laws. Lots of firearms and firearm accessories are illegal only in California. My gel insoles come with a sticker that says they cause cancer in California. Fuck that whole state

My holster had a note regarding that shit too.  Fucking California lunatics.

7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

But I'd really rather not Sully this thread too much with polical jibba jabba

Jesus fucking Christ this x1,000

What once was a semi-tolerant platform for discussion has becomes a giant echo chamber of shit

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

So according to the CNN link posted above, Girard Saenz possessed an FFL.  It's possible that he was completely legit.

Very, very plausible he's an online dealer (think 'Buds Gun Shop', or others like it).  Basically virtual storefronts (see the large number of SA wheel-guns, higher end 22's, bolt-guns, etc.).  Just a hunch.  

The number of guns is irrelevant except to the media for the clicks.

If he's an FFL (home based or not) he has protocol with regard to selling and that gets checked by the ATF in audits. 

They match your log with your inventory and then that with your 4473's for each outgoing firearm.  Everything needs to be accounted for.

Screw that up and you get scrutinized.  If the scrutiny turns up a pattern of illegal sales then shit like this happens.

My hunch is that he may have been playing fast and loose with his "personal guns" (selling without a 4473) vs. those in his FFL inventory.

They don't like it when you have an FFL and buy a lot, but then take self-ownership and dispose of them "personally" without acting as an FFL and getting the required 4473 and running the checks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

The number of guns is irrelevant except to the media for the clicks.

If he's an FFL (home based or not) he has protocol with regard to selling and that gets checked by the ATF in audits. 

They match your log with your inventory and then that with your 4473's for each outgoing firearm.  Everything needs to be accounted for.

Screw that up and you get scrutinized.  If the scrutiny turns up a pattern of illegal sales then shit like this happens.

My hunch is that he may have been playing fast and loose with his "personal guns" (selling without a 4473) vs. those in his FFL inventory.

They don't like it when you have an FFL and buy a lot, but then take self-ownership and dispose of them "personally" without acting as an FFL and getting the required 4473 and running the checks.

Personally, I smell a charge of postal fraud with undercover investigation of Armslist and GunBroker sales.

Edited by BabaYaga

If every T isn’t crossed and every i dotted in his paperwork, the BATFE will hammer his ass.

Plus it mentioned something about .50 BMG caliber guns, which I think are now banned out there. So the state can booger up his butt too.

wonder what will happen to the ammo.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Armybrat said:

100% gone.  There have been a litany of lawsuits from prior seizures by the police where the guns were returned but not the ammo.  I think one was more than a decade long?  Ridiculous.

If every T isn’t crossed and every i dotted in his paperwork, the BATFE will hammer his ass.
Plus it mentioned something about .50 BMG caliber guns, which I think are now banned out there. So the state can booger up his butt too.
FFLs are subject to a ton of scrutiny from BATFE. Not passing judgment on this one until something comes out confirming that the guy was dirty. More than possible this is the result of eager beaver cops and feds making a raid and raking in publicly for the sake of it.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, bigshark88 said:

Back on track. This followed me home today.

Dillos will die. 75ce8788f90d32701b0926e687a2e675.jpg

I have one.  It's my favorite carry-gun at the ranch.  Unloaded, weighs about as much as a large phone in a case + 30rd mag.  At night, spits a flame out a foot long with zero recoil (full mag dump at night must be your first priority!).

Finicky about certain types of ammo (lower velocity loads give it trouble cycling rounds), so you'll have to play with it some.  

22mag is a nasty little round and it's so easy to shoot accurately.  That pistol, for the price, with a few additional loaded mags make for a heck of a truck or home defense gun.

• Like 2

I have one.  It's my favorite carry-gun at the ranch.  Unloaded, weighs about as much as a large phone in a case + 30rd mag.  At night, spits a flame out a foot long with zero recoil (full mag dump at night must be your first priority!).
Finicky about certain types of ammo (lower velocity loads give it trouble cycling rounds), so you'll have to play with it some.  
22mag is a nasty little round and it's so easy to shoot accurately.  That pistol, for the price, with a few additional loaded mags make for a heck of a truck or home defense gun.
Thinking about a moderately priced light / laser combo for the rail to use on nighttime armadillo elimination ops. Anyone have any suggestions? It won't be for personal defense just for critter control so I don't want to break the bank.

15 hours ago, thestud said:

I love my Ruger MK IV but this one....it intrigues me

Think about the same ease of shooting your MK IV.  The complete lack of recoil.  But with the flame (they do make flame retardant powders to reduce this), report, and mag capacity of an SBR and a round travelling at close to 1,100 FPS that can penetrate between 12-13 inches of ballistic gel (comparable to both the 9mm and .45acp).

12 hours ago, bigshark88 said:
17 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Thinking about a moderately priced light / laser combo for the rail to use on nighttime armadillo elimination ops. Anyone have any suggestions? It won't be for personal defense just for critter control so I don't want to break the bank.

Kel-Tec also makes a carbine to go with it.  The CMR-30.  I've entertained picking one up as well.  Perfect little truck/varmint gun that easier to shoot longer distances.  Uses the same mags .

6174384_01_kel_tec_cmr_30_black_22_mag_r

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Just wish 22mag was cheaper 

I have been close to buying a PMR30 a few times over the past year, but I can't get past the ammo price.  For the same price, I can shoot 9mm which has more take down power.  Granted, I won't have the sweet fireball out the barrel, nor can I hold 30 rounds in a normal 9mm pistol.  I'd rather spend the money on 9mm which I can shoot out of several 9mm pistols and sub guns that I own.

e795b328142f5eb1a2371898534ff1ae.jpg
Finally broke down and picked up a Sig P365.
Driving thru Lampasas this week stopped off at Hoffpauirs to check it out. Super nice folks.
My local shop in Gtown had shut down so I thought why not give a local shop some business.
Ive been a Glock die hard for years but gotta admit I love this gun. My new CC pistol. Glock 42 & 43 going to the safe.
Question is why did I wait this long?
Fits my hand well and shoots like a dream with 10 rounds in stock mag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tes, Looks like primer drag is pretty normal for lots of these types of pistols. SIG updated some internals and looks like the firing pin issues were fixed with the updated generation. I understand everyone has their preference on CC pistols.
Just wanted to ad my $.02 that these are pretty slick little pistols.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, williemackgarza said:

e795b328142f5eb1a2371898534ff1ae.jpg
Finally broke down and picked up a Sig P365.
Driving thru Lampasas this week stopped off at Hoffpauirs to check it out. Super nice folks.
My local shop in Gtown had shut down so I thought why not give a local shop some business.
Ive been a Glock die hard for years but gotta admit I love this gun. My new CC pistol. Glock 42 & 43 going to the safe.
Question is why did I wait this long?
Fits my hand well and shoots like a dream with 10 rounds in stock mag.

Just bought CHIEF Jr. a Sig P365 for his 21st birthday, which will be this Saturday. My local gun dealer matched the $500 price that was on Gunbrokers.com. and the $30 transfer fee I would have paid, pretty much paid the tax on it. Love the way it feels.

CHIEF

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

You got an Ithaca out of CMP?

Yep.   They were one of several mfgs under the wartime contract.  This one appears to be a 1943 mfg during war.  Mfgs ran the gamut from Colt to Singer.

this one appears to be Ithaca slide and frame.  A lot of them now have mixed parts - slide from one mfg and frame from another if rebuilt at an armory.  This appears to be Ithaca from top to bottom. 

Other than a select few special 1911A1's being pulled out for auction (like if they found a Singer, etc) , they graded them all and threw them into 3 classes regardless of mfg. - Service, Field, and Rack grades.

Considering the age, I'm thrilled with the metal and fit. No pitting and very sound.