The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

17 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I acquired this last week for free, should be fun to shoot

Pietta SAA 1873 .45LC

Big Bore Revolver 5.5 Blue 45 Caliber

Free?  Tell us of this magical place where big-bore SA's fall from the sky!  Seriously, those are fun to shoot.  Now you have to get a 45LC lever-action to keep it company and a good leather holster.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

We were in Cody, WY a couple of weeks ago, and we stopped by the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. I checked out the gun collection (Cody Firearms Experience, IIRC) which was impressive.

One of the first exhibits I came to had a Remington Fieldmaster .22 rifle just like my dad’s, which is now mine. I graduated from a Daisy BB gun to this, so it naturally caught my eye. 

91-C8-CC1-B-4539-46-E1-AEB8-CCF3-F326656

A dad about 45 years old was taking his family on a self-guided tour, and he walked up to the display case, pointed to the Fieldmaster and proclaimed, “Now this is a pump action shotgun, probably a 12 gauge.” He proceeded to pump his imaginary gun.

I kept my mouth shut because he was trying.

You've got way more control and class than I do.

Was the guys name Clark Griswold?

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You've got way more control and class than I do.

Was the guys name Clark Griswold?

I felt sorry for the guy the moment he pumped his imaginary shotgun.

Speaking of shotguns, the museum mislabeled their Winchester Model 12. They said it was a 12 ga. manufactured in 1912. Winchester didn’t come out with a 12 ga. Model 12 until 1913. My dad had one (it’s also mine now) with a very low serial number that indicates it was made the first month they came out with the 12 ga. To top it off, it has a vented rib barrel and checkered stock, neither of which were offered until years later. After some research to make sure I know what I’m talking about, I’ll write them a sternly worded letter. 

654-D96-AF-38-BA-4-ABA-93-A7-A7-F90-F7-A

I know it reads circa 1912, but still....

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 3

My dad bought that Model 12 from his boss’ widow after he died in the early 1950s. He paid $25 for it, and that included  5-6 boxes of duck and pheasant load. Ammo was fairly expensive back then compared to now, so it’s almost like he bought the boxes of shells and got the gun for free. He shared his philosophy of not taking advantage of people one time, and like a smart ass I quipped, “Like old widows who don’t know what their dead husband’s gun is worth?”

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I felt sorry for the guy the moment he pumped his imaginary shotgun.

Speaking of shotguns, the museum mislabeled their Winchester Model 12. They said it was a 12 ga. manufactured in 1912. Winchester didn’t come out with a 12 ga. Model 12 until 1913. My dad had one (it’s also mine now) with a very low serial number that indicates it was made the first month they came out with the 12 ga. To top it off, it has a vented rib barrel and checkered stock, neither of which were offered until years later. After some research to make sure I know what I’m talking about, I’ll write them a sternly worded letter. 

654-D96-AF-38-BA-4-ABA-93-A7-A7-F90-F7-A

I know it reads circa 1912, but still....

Had one also.  Old Model 12 with a poly-choke.  What made it even more interesting was that it was a 16 gauge.  My cousin has it now.  I still pay my respects when I'm at their house.  At least it's behind glass and in a venerated position, not completely retired as snakes and old barn cats always need tending to.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 2:02 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Everything is signed and submitted, waiting on my “check cashed” and my clock will start on a Deadair Sandman K.

This is gonna suck.

You'll get it about the same time you decide to retire your "National Champions" cap.

Team Model 12 here. I have a 12 ga. Remington 870 I bought in 1986. It’s a good pump shotgun with a real nice burled  wood stock, but I still like the 12. 

My dad found the stock on his Model  12 to be a bit too straight for his liking, so he took a couple of degrees off the angle. You would never know by looking at it, but it shoulders really nicely, especially if you don’t have a short neck. I’m no Scott Derry, but if the shotgun is too straight and I don’t shoulder it properly, I find myself looking down on the barrel just enough to miss high. That never happens with that Model 12. 

All this Walmart news reminded me today to do my monthly bulk ammo purchase of 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, .308. and .22LR. First Dick's, now Walmart. Someday it's either going to be harder to get or a lot more expensive. Gotta hoard it now. 

(Also bought more skeet ammo but that's because I shoot that regularly and use it up.)

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Academy and BassPro/Cabelas is always my go-to along with all the smaller stores in little towns.  I have a couple thousand.  Not "too" crazy, but I need more (especially .22).  

This whole thing is nonsense.  WalMart not selling ammo is to gun violence what not selling forks/spoons is to thwarting diabetes.  Monumental, virtue-signally nonsense.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Academy and BassPro/Cabelas is always my go-to along with all the smaller stores in little towns.  I have a couple thousand.  Not "too" crazy, but I need more (especially .22).  

This whole thing is nonsense.  WalMart not selling ammo is to gun violence what not selling forks/spoons is to thwarting diabetes.  Monumental, virtue-signally nonsense.  

In my dad's little town Walmart is basically all there is. There will obviously be an opportunity for the local hardware and ag stores to fill a niche, but it won't be the same thing and it will certainly be more expensive simply due to Walmart's economy of scale. Those of us who live in big cities don't understand just how big a deal this decision is. 

I have also seen some of my more liberal friends on FB advocate for freaking background checks to buy ammo and "limits" however that is defined. What about the serious clay shooters who shoot 1-2 flats in a week? What about guys who go to the range regularly?

This is why we hoard now. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, davidg said:

Just stack those reloading components deep.  Roll up what you need, when you need it.

I have about 10,000 AA shotgun hulls of various sizes in five gallon buckets in my barn. Have been debating whether to seriously get into reloading or to just sell/give them all away to someone at the gun club.

Guess I am still pondering that decision now. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

Got all of my ammo shipments in post-Walmart so here is a pic of my current stash ("arsenal" for Beto fans). I think the shelves are pretty much maxed out (the top one is even bowing out a little) so I'll need to buy more shelves before I get any more ammo. The ammo can magnets are really nice for staying organized.

I go through 1-2 flats a week of various skeet loads to feed my gun club habit, especially 20 gauge, so that's one I will continue to replenish as needed. 

I think the next step is going to be to eventually transfer all the cartons into ammo cans with dessicant packets. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Got all of my ammo shipments in post-Walmart so here is a pic of my current stash ("arsenal" for Beto fans). I think the shelves are pretty much maxed out (the top one is even bowing out a little) so I'll need to buy more shelves before I get any more ammo. The ammo can magnets are really nice for staying organized.

I go through 1-2 flats a week of various skeet loads to feed my gun club habit, especially 20 gauge, so that's one I will continue to replenish as needed. 

I think the next step is going to be to eventually transfer all the cartons into ammo cans with dessicant packets. 

spacer.png

tenor.gif?itemid=5200044

I did some research on G43 vs. P365 and chose the Sig a few months ago

Last week I got lucky and got a G43 for free. 

We will see how it stacks up vs. the Sig, which I really like.

I have a feeling the G43 will be more accurate in my hands. But the Sig is smaller and has a higher capacity.

Organic_Featured_4-28-2019.jpg

• Like 4