no.2 overall recruit in the nation decommits from Florida State to go play for Coach Prime at Jackson State

shadow_operative

people play against inferior talent all the time. randy moss went from fl st. commit to marshall when it was d1-aa then MAC.  he played against dudes you would pass in your high school hallway his whole college career, left without a bruise on his body, and then did (everything) in the nfl.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

He pointed out the value of being mentored by possibly the best DB in the history of the game( arguable, but he's damned sure in the discussion.)

You are overvalueing the school the young man chooses.  There are more elements in the equation that also matter.

right, like the level of competition he faces on a daily basis in practice and games. you know, just unimportant shit like that.

6 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

people play against inferior talent all the time. randy moss went from fl st. commit to marshall when it was d1-aa then MAC.  he played against dudes you would pass in your high school hallway his whole college career, left without a bruise on his body, and then did (everything) in the nfl.

for every Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, and Walter Payton that you guys can name there are 100 Ryan Perriloux's. if this kid is the next Moss, Rice, or Sweetness, then sure, where he plays his college ball probably doesn't matter. but, in the 99.9% likelihood that he isn't one of those guys, then maybe, just maybe he would be doing better for himself by surrounding himself with major D-1 coaches, players, trainers, and staff. just a wild notion, i know.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sandman said:

That's not what I asked and I think you know it. I'm saying you raised your kid and did everything "right", yet he insists on going to a school that you oppose. What do you do?

You support your kids decision. No decent parent forces their adult child into a decision that the parent wants.

My eldest had a number of D1 baseball offers mostly Southland and one Sunbelt school. Would I have liked to seen him play college baseball, yes I would have. He had no interest in attending any of the schools as a student so he chose a different path. No pressure from me. I have seen other parents push their kids to academically subpar colleges just for the sake of playing baseball. That does happen but it's not what a parent should do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this thread is straight out of bizarro world. like, i've known countless dads who've had sons who were great at basketball, and every single one of them got their son to sign up for/play in leagues with older kids and better competition, because that's how you make yourself a better player (do you get it now @F250 or should i repeat it seven more times?). none of them was like, "Yeah, Zacchai is 11 now and he's already better than everyone else in his age group, so we're going to have him play in the 9 year old league next year, because he's totally going to maximize his potential that way." 

Yeah, I did that for my kids when they were kids not adults.

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

right, like the level of competition he faces on a daily basis in practice and games. you know, just unimportant shit like that.

The fact that FSU lost to an FCS team this year makes this thread extra delicious.

Seriously, FSU is a dead in the water program. They’re stale, horrible, and any elite prospect would be very stupid to go there. 

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Jackson State has a lot of talent at WR so he'll practice against some dudes.

Quaydarius Davis - 4-star, #23 player in Texas last year

Trevonte Rucker- 4-Star, #47 player in Florida last year

Malachi Wideman- Former 4-Star, Transfer from Tennessee

Isaiah Bolden- Former 4-Star, Transfer from FSU

Plus more transfers at WR from Indiana (2), Houston, and Louisville

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

i also find the whole "he's going to be coached by the greatest DB ever!" argument to be dubious at best. is Deion going to teach this kid how to run a 4.1 40, or how to be born as one of the most electric athletes of all time? come on people.

and hey, since being the best to do it automatically means you're also the most qualified to teach it, then how come Joe Montana isn't our quarterbacks coach? why isn't Michael Jordan coaching the Bulls? how come Randy Moss isn't the heir apparent to Nick Saban? why isn't Lawrence Taylor in Mack Brown's spot right now? but yeah, for sure guys. let's all act like Deion coaching this kid makes up for the fact that he surrounds himself with inferior players and coaches 24/7. 

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Never mind their QB (Deion’s son) is a four star as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JerrysJheriCurl said:

LBJ. 
Sic Em Jags

shouts out to Sean Fresch, my boy is doing work at Rice. 

7 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

i'll give you that- he's 

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

i'll give you that. he's probably going up against the best WRs that any HBCU has to offer. it's still not the same as going up against major D-1 offenses, QBs, O lines, WRs, OC'd, etc.

also, this site is fucking BORKED. god damn.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'll give you that. he's probably going up against the best WRs that any HBCU has to offer. it's still not the same as going up against major D-1 offenses, QBs, O lines, WRs, OC'd, etc.

also, this site is fucking BORKED. god damn.

He’ll never overcome missing out on going up against the high powered offenses at schools like Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse.

Again, you say everyone should make sure they’re going up against “the best of the best” at all times. Please explain how going to a 5-7 team that lost to Jacksonville state accomplishes that.

I gagree with post #51 on the aspect of this guy being able to perform while not getting torn up as much in college and saving it for the pros

and post #53 Rryan perriloux was a first class chode and he signed with LSU and then acted like a chode and then did not learn his lesson and was still a lazy chode at Jackson State

ryan perriloux did not miss out on the NFL because he ended up at Jackson State he missed out on the NFL because he was an all world fucking dumb ass and lazy as fuck and was too stupid to learn his lesson after getting booted from LSU and then also from Jackson State

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

there is not a single example you guys can give of small school players going to the NFL that is analogous to this situation. none of the players you can name were the no.1 overall recruit in the country, and all of them exclusively had small school offers, where they were surrounded by people of similar stature at that time. none of them walked into campus and were head and shoulders above every single player in the program. steel sharpens steel. this kid is doing himself a disservice by surround him himself with inferior competition.

Depends on how far you wanna go back. Prior to integration, when it came to football in the south, HBCUs are where the elite talent would reside. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

for every Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, and Walter Payton that you guys can name there are 100 Ryan Perriloux's. if this kid is the next Moss, Rice, or Sweetness, then sure, where he plays his college ball probably doesn't matter. but, in the 99.9% likelihood that he isn't one of those guys, then maybe, just maybe he would be doing better for himself by surrounding himself with major D-1 coaches, players, trainers, and staff. just a wild notion, i know.

This. I don’t understand why people keep bringing this up. Those are exceptions. The NFL is loaded with Div 1 P5 conference guys. A kid balling out at FSU will get looked at before a kid balling out a Jackson St.

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

This. I don’t understand why people keep bringing this up. Those are exceptions. The NFL is loaded with Div 1 P5 conference guys. A kid balling out at FSU will get looked at before a kid balling out a Jackson St.

He's a .9999 on 247 and they call him a generational talent. Someone that is already that celebrated will have no trouble getting looks 

5 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Maybe 10 years ago. Don't think that is necessarily the case now. If this kid lives up to his ranking then it really doesn't matter which school he went to. 

Edited by SarkAfterDark
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

the point is to look at #1 recruits, not the whole world.  if you're (quite literally) the best player in the nation at 18, you'll be in the pros at 22 no matter where you go.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

So the school makes the candidate? Kid's not making the NFL if he doesn't go SEC?

I disagree.  I've had this discussion academically with private/public school discussion 10k times.  The aforementioned measureables are there. We still see him on draft day, regardless of where he goes to school.

Edited by slorch

I was never a big Deion fan, but the guy impresses me. He doesn't just understand the game of football, he understands the game owners and GMs play with players. He figured out how to jump from a dogshit franchise to getting a Super Bowl win with the 49ers, then jumping and getting another with the Cowboys, got massive paychecks both times, and got out of the game without a major brain injury. He also understands all the leeches that take player money and leave them broke, like the hooker chicks, agents and investors. If a kid is a true generational talent, Deion can show them the ropes on how to maximize their potential and not end up in a mobile home with other people spending the money they made.

Also, the guy really broke one of my long standing beliefs that great players never make great coaches. My theory was that great players operated largely on talent, and the great coaches were guys that were okay talents, but had to fully understand the game, cause they couldn't just out-physical everyone. Remains to be seen if he becomes a great coach, but his record so far is outstanding, and he's got people talking about a school that hardly anyone knew existed a couple of years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

I was never a big Deion fan, but the guy impresses me. He doesn't just understand the game of football, he understands the game owners and GMs play with players. He figured out how to jump from a dogshit franchise to getting a Super Bowl win with the 49ers, then jumping and getting another with the Cowboys, got massive paychecks both times, and got out of the game without a major brain injury. He also understands all the leeches that take player money and leave them broke, like the hooker chicks, agents and investors. If a kid is a true generational talent, Deion can show them the ropes on how to maximize their potential and not end up in a mobile home with other people spending the money they made.

Also, the guy really broke one of my long standing beliefs that great players never make great coaches. My theory was that great players operated largely on talent, and the great coaches were guys that were okay talents, but had to fully understand the game, cause they couldn't just out-physical everyone. Remains to be seen if he becomes a great coach, but his record so far is outstanding, and he's got people talking about a school that hardly anyone knew existed a couple of years ago. 

That's the football side of him i respect.

Then there's the character/ shady as fuck side of him that would make me steer clear.

The football side definitely has a strong value though.

53 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

In 2021 you dont need to play at a high-profile school with national airtime to get noticed by NFL scouts.  If the football world knows him as a HS college prospect, they'll know him as a college NFL prospect

Every talking head since the Texas NIL deals were announced: “this is going to ruin college football because it will concentrate talent in only the richest programs!!!”

Today: “this is going to ruin college football because it will dilute the talent level at the top programs”

Motherfuckers don’t even know what they’re complaining about.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Every talking head since the Texas NIL deals were announced: “this is going to ruin college football because it will concentrate talent in only the richest programs!!!”

Today: “this is going to ruin college football because it will dilute the talent level at the top programs”

Motherfuckers don’t even know what they’re complaining about.

Only Georgia and Alabama should be able to pay players. Parity with smaller schools is unfair. lulz

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Not stupid at all. If it was Joe Blow coaching it wouldn't be a great idea but Deion will get this kid into the NFL.

For sure. This kid now has all the attention on him. I laugh at some people thinking this was some bad decision. It's not like NFL scouts don't keep an eye on non FBS schools. And he is playing under one of the hottest coaches and arguably the best ever DB to play. Good for him. Deion is doing good work at Jackson St.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

again, this idea that Deion is automatically a great coach because he was a great player is hilarious. remind me again which NFL team Duane Akina starred for? or better yet, remind me again how awesome Wayne Gretzky, Pete Rose, and Isiah Thomas did as coaches. what a strange logical fallacy for so many of you to be espousing.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

again, the idea that Deion is automatically a great coach because he was a great player is hilarious. remind me again which NFL team Duane Akina started for? remind me again how well Wayne Gretzky, Pete Rose, and Isiah Thomas did as coaches? 

I don't doubt the premise of your theory, but he is sitting there at 11-1 in his 2nd year (including a funky Covid year) with their only loss being a 5 point loss to an FBS team. He may be out talenting everyone, but it seems to be working.

Also Deion isn't their only coach.

DC Dennis Thurman played in the NFL for 8 years, coached in the NFL from 2002-2016 including 4 years as a DC.

DB Coach Kevin Mathis played in the NFL for 10 years

WR Coach Jason Phillips played in the NFL and has been a WR coach for Houston, Texas State. Baylor, Kansas, SMU, Oregon State, and Utah State 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1