Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Christian Horner: "The new Mercedes violates the spirit of the regulations. For us, some parts are not legal."

I thought I read he was more innocuous with his comments. If what you’ve posted is what he actually said … what a titty baby.

Edit - this is what I saw:

Horner on Mercedes concept: “It's a fairly different concept. That's for the aero guys and engineers to get into."

"Let the guys understand it and digest it…”

If they have some new cooling chemicals for their engine they should have to make that available for all factory engine teams. 

I don’t think they are using anything different coolant wise, since they still have normal looking radiators (they’re just stuffed way into the monocoque), but even if they did, all component cooling is separate from PU components provided by the PU manufacturer. They supply the PU cooling requirements, but it’s up to the individual teams to get to that number.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

I thought I read he was more innocuous with his comments. If what you’ve posted is what he actually said … what a titty baby.

Edit - this is what I saw:

Horner on Mercedes concept: “It's a fairly different concept. That's for the aero guys and engineers to get into."

"Let the guys understand it and digest it…”

AMuS is standing by the original quote. He/Red Bull claimed he didn't say it, then backtracked to say he didn't say anything officially. He said it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I don’t think they are using anything different coolant wise, since they still have normal looking radiators (they’re just stuffed way into the monocoque), but even if they did, all component cooling is separate from PU components provided by the PU manufacturer. They supply the PU cooling requirements, but it’s up to the individual teams to get to that number.

Got the idea from this video CCS (chemical cooling system)

48 minutes ago, faps said:

On the porpoise issue, maybe allow active suspension again.

Some teams don't have the problem. A rule change like that would take away their advantage and decrease the disadvantage of the teams who fucked it up, just like the proposal to raise the minimum weight because some teams are overweight. The teams who built the best cars within the rules should be rewarded for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What's all the hubbub about the Merc sidepods?  Is it aero, cooling, or what?  Who cares what they look like?

My understanding is that they are drastically reduced in the amount they stick out, meaning less drag and faster car. All the other sidepods look like whale sharks in comparison.

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just a heads up that there is a discount for signing up for F1TV with a new email address. Normally $80, on sale for $63 for the year.

We end up watching a lot of races on tape delay (off the DVR).  Does F1TV do this and can you log in to watch an older race (from earlier in the day) and not have it spoiled when you log in, or will the race winner be all over the place when you log in?  Do any of the alternate angles (like watching different drivers car video) work after the fact, or only live?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

What's all the hubbub about the Merc sidepods?  Is it aero, cooling, or what?  Who cares what they look like?

It’s different and no one else is doing it and we don’t understand why and why didn’t we think of that so it must be cheating!

Less drag probably, maybe more downforce.  Cooling was the problem to solve with the design not the benefit.

• Like 2

We end up watching a lot of races on tape delay (off the DVR).  Does F1TV do this and can you log in to watch an older race (from earlier in the day) and not have it spoiled when you log in, or will the race winner be all over the place when you log in?  Do any of the alternate angles (like watching different drivers car video) work after the fact, or only live?

Yep, you can go in and watch any of the races without fear of spoilers, including same day. Onboards with team radios are basically a toggle that you can turn on while watching the main feed, letting you select the driver of choice. It’s pretty great now, they’ve come a long way.

It also has F2 coverage and classic races.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Merc comes out swinging. I hope Lewis just dominates again and drives away with George in a comfortable second.

See also:

"I hope Alabama just dominates again and runs away with Georgia in a comfortable second."

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yep, you can go in and watch any of the races without fear of spoilers, including same day. Onboards with team radios are basically a toggle that you can turn on while watching the main feed, letting you select the driver of choice. It’s pretty great now, they’ve come a long way.

And the onboards work on replays, too?

34 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

It’s different and no one else is doing it and we don’t understand why and why didn’t we think of that so it must be cheating!

Less drag probably, maybe more downforce.  Cooling was the problem to solve with the design not the benefit.

Probably more like same DF, less drag or more DF, same drag (i.e. more efficient DF), but it sounds like the jury is still out on which solution they'll go with.

The different solutions are interesting, undercut vs ramp (overcut), etc.

Re: people complaining about it, it's very common in F1 and not RBR-specific. They all do it. Many times they aren't opposed to the use of said solution as much as they're just interested in possibly using it themselves and want to seek clarification from the FIA about whether or not it'll be allowed. That way they don't spend unnecessary money and time going down a path they can't even use.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Are whole past seasons available?

Are whole past seasons available?

Some of them. They’re grouped by decade and certainly the most recent seasons are complete. Some of the older seasons have recaps and highlights interspersed with full races. The last old race I watched was 1993 Hungary with Murray and James Hunt. Pretty awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I watched some of the practice sessions. I think the cars look better than last year, but they are not near as "clean" as I thought they'd look. Still a whole lot of stuff going on all over the car. I don't think I like the addition of the inside wheel shroud over the front tires.

I will say Mercedes has killed it as far as identification of the drivers. LH with the yellow outline really pops and makes it easy to tell who it is. GR has the blue accent, which gets lost, but if you know LH has the yellow, it's easy to know the other one is GR. Aston Martin numbers are also easy to see.

I think as far as looks on track, Aston Martin is taking first place, although I haven't seen Williams on the screen yet. Ferrari and Alfa look pretty nice too. 

A couple people have used python to make some telemetry posts on Reddit, and the takeaway is Merc is sandbagging like crazy. Low engine mode, not even hitting the highest gear on some straights, lifting off the throttle early, etc.

they seem to be about even with Ferrari in the corners, which is obviously a bad sign for the rest of the teams based on their low drag concept, which should make them very fast on the straights when they turn the engines up. 

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

A couple people have used python to make some telemetry posts on Reddit, and the takeaway is Merc is sandbagging like crazy. Low engine mode, not even hitting the highest gear on some straights, lifting off the throttle early, etc.

they seem to be about even with Ferrari in the corners, which is obviously a bad sign for the rest of the teams based on their low drag concept, which should make them very fast on the straights when they turn the engines up. 

MB sandbagging? you don't say!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

MB sandbagging? you don't say!

Ha yeah, not a crazy revelation. I'm having trouble finding the posts because that subreddit is spammed with like every tweet a journalist writes, but there were two separate telemetry posts that both showed heavy sandbagging. Sainz also said something about George doing the typical Merc downplaying, but Ferrari can tell how strong Merc are  by the GPS data. 

I fully expect Merc to be the fastest until proven otherwise. There are some questions about engine cooling with their design but they supposedly have some innovative solutions for that, which is why they chose this route this year. It seems like Ferrari will be at least solid, likely top 3. To me, the real wildcard is RB. They have some unique designs and just added updates to their car today. Newey has a great reputation and deservedly so, but he doesn't always nail new regs right away and RB were heavily invested in winning 2021. I could see them anywhere from the best to 4th at the start of the season. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ha yeah, not a crazy revelation. I'm having trouble finding the posts because that subreddit is spammed with like every tweet a journalist writes, but there were two separate telemetry posts that both showed heavy sandbagging. Sainz also said something about George doing the typical Merc downplaying, but Ferrari can tell how strong Merc are  by the GPS data. 

I fully expect Merc to be the fastest until proven otherwise. There are some questions about engine cooling with their design but they supposedly have some innovative solutions for that, which is why they chose this route this year. It seems like Ferrari will be at least solid, likely top 3. To me, the real wildcard is RB. They have some unique designs and just added updates to their car today. Newey has a great reputation and deservedly so, but he doesn't always nail new regs right away and RB were heavily invested in winning 2021. I could see them anywhere from the best to 4th at the start of the season. 

Some timing data making a similar conclusion in this article

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.5-things-we-learned-from-day-1-of-the-official-pre-season-test-in-bahrain.1NPhuHyKuOkVsr7kaUOXDV.html

I searched the subreddit and found the posts. I'm no telemetry expert, but it definitely seems like Merc are more or less hanging with Ferrari in the corners and then losing time on the straights due to low engine, sometimes not even full gear, and lifting earlier. Now, maybe some of that could be due to Merc struggling with some porposing, but it definitely seems like most of it is just Merc sandbagging really fucking hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

c8c2e9702183b0743c7ece16669637c0.jpg

1ecf3b2c5c078f703e0e3aaeec49d53e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2