Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

COTA:

image.thumb.png.6b8ea3a5977ab83c88369c2e80a09d86.png

Already decided after last year that I would pass on this year. Will see if closer to the date I get the itch and find some cheap FP1 tickets like were available last time.

On 3/15/2022 at 9:06 AM, NoName said:

see, this is when i want a reddit style flair to know who your team is.

...i mostly say this because i hate it when MB or Lewis fans say they hate RB for that reason when MB is just the other side of that coin in basically every way.

LOL. Yep. Nobody cries more than Merc, not even RBR. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

IMO Leclerc > Carlos. He takes more risks and his DNFs cost him the points battle with Carlos (2-0, one while on pole) but rarely did he lose on pace. 

Points trump pace. Pace is only part of what you need. You also need to know when not to be too aggressive. I like Leclerc, but so far, Sainz has had the better of him imho.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2022 at 12:21 PM, NoName said:

Lando is a bit of a different dude. He isn't made in a lab like George, he actually has personality (see his Twitch streams), he isn't afraid to say shit like what he said about not feeling sorry for Danny (doubt George would say that)

I think Lando is super likable personally.

i love Danny Ric, but yeah Zak Brown is great!

Yeah, I can't not like Lando. I'd never heard of him when he started following me on twitter years ago before he made it to the circus. Started following him back then and have never found much not to like about the kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Which sucks, because the off track, stuff is interesting, but not the drama part. Show us the racing, the pits, the engineers, etc. NFL films didn’t get into the drama too much. They showed the games in dramatic fashion, but still in order.

Watching the Williams episode last night and in one race, they had audio about quali and were showing the pre-race grid. Tires kept changing from shot to shot. I guess as a new or casual fan, you wouldn’t notice these things. It piles on to the show being unwatchable for me.

Yep, and there are a ton of things like that in every episode.

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I swear they made up some announcer audio for some of the sequences. It sounds like they use Crofty when it suits the story but they sub in someone else a lot. I don’t know if that other voice is a real announcer from another network or what, but it sounds manufactured to me. 

Yeah it's completely made-up nonsense, with the guying trying to react as if he's watching live and not following a script. I think the guy is a Formula E announcer.

8 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

From our first event notes of the year, a nice a simple track limit section.

248a4f3c16df1c8de98cc7982dfbb7e4.jpg

Good. Now let's see how it actually gets enforced. Hopefully no more crying to the stewards hoping to extend the limit, or the RD changing the limit from race to race and even session to session. It's in the fucking rules. Enforce it as it's written.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

COTA:

image.thumb.png.6b8ea3a5977ab83c88369c2e80a09d86.png

Already decided after last year that I would pass on this year. Will see if closer to the date I get the itch and find some cheap FP1 tickets like were available last time.

I got Friday for like $8, even this past year. Friday's easy & cheap.

16 minutes ago, wood said:

Good. Now let's see how it actually gets enforced. Hopefully no more crying to the stewards hoping to extend the limit, or the RD changing the limit from race to race and even session to session. It's in the fucking rules. Enforce it as it's written.

Points are points, can’t argue. 

Prove me right Charles. 

*wrong quote but the gist is there. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Points are points, can’t argue. 

Prove me right Charles. 

*wrong quote but the gist is there. 

I do still like Leclerc a lot. I thought he'd beat Sainz, too, but it didn't happen. I'm still not sure Charles is as good as Ferrari thought though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Damn wood.  You ready?

Ha! Just catching up after a couple days off the web. First Mexico City, and now we're on Isla. Spring Break is a bit different experience from June/July, which is what we like, but anytime on Isla is good time. 

Haven't quite figgered out how we're gonna watch practice, etc. If I get F1TV Pro, can I watch it in other countries? My kid would love it, too.

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Ha! Just catching up after a couple days off the web. First Mexico City, and now we're on Isla. Spring Break is a bit different experience from June/July, which is what we like, but anytime on Isla is good time. 

Haven't quite figgered out how we're gonna watch practice, etc. If I get F1TV Pro, can I watch it in other countries? My kid would love it, too.

It should work as long as the F1 rights holder in that country doesn’t have an exclusive deal, like Sky in UK. Not sure what Mexico’s situation is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It should work as long as the F1 rights holder in that country doesn’t have an exclusive deal, like Sky in UK. Not sure what Mexico’s situation is. 

Thanks. Do I have to wait 2 days to see replays of each session? I've seen that before re: F1TV.

Also, re: the COTA tickets, they seem to have gone to a mode of selling in stages of ticket releases, calling everything 'sold out' once each stage has sold. They have links to sign up for alerts later on, which means they really aren't done trying to sell tickets, so if you're looking for some, you're probably still going to have tickets to pick from.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, wood said:

Thanks. Do I have to wait 2 days to see replays of each session? I've seen that before re: F1TV.

Also, re: the COTA tickets, they seem to have gone to a mode of selling in stages of ticket releases, calling everything 'sold out' once each stage has sold. They have links to sign up for alerts later on, which means they really aren't done trying to sell tickets, so if you're looking for some, you're probably still going to have tickets to pick from.

Not if you buy F1 TV Pro. That will allow you to watch live. The cheaper version makes you wait for replays. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not if you buy F1 TV Pro. That will allow you to watch live. The cheaper version makes you wait for replays. 

Def will go with Pro if I pull the trigger. What I mean is: how soon do replays become available when we can't watch live?

I'd have to give that title to Johnny Herbert. His adversarial nature is grating. Damon is a mush mouth but he doesn't elicit strong emotions one way or the other. Pinks is looking good as always. I'd like to Formula her 1 if you catch my drift. 

Agree with all of this. Also, I know he’s more of a moderator, but I don’t care for Simon either.

1. Helmets do very little for me. I think they are all too busy and the ads clutter them up. Plus you can barely see them in the car.

2. The new graphics aren't great. Hard to read detail at a glance and it's all too wide. Hopefully they tweak them.

3. Been waiting for FP1 and still feel like there's nothing we know about who is fast and who isn't. Red Bull and Ferrari seem like they will be fine. No idea on the rest of them. 

4. F1TV Pro now has their commentary feed as the default. You have to select the "international" feed to get the Sky commentators. 

5. McLaren looks like an oddball out on the track. Alfa and Hamilton get major props for being easy to identify drivers.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

6 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Damnit. I’m poor and just signed up for F1 Tv pro. We’ll see if it’s worth it.

Did they still have the discount for new signups? I posted that last week.

I love it. All the sessions are there, plus driver cams. Usually watch a practice, qualifying, and the race. So for $65, it comes out to about $3 per race weekend. I'd much rather that than having to deal with pirated streams, or paying a lot more to sign up for ESPN with some provider.

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Mercedes still has a porpoising problem.  Hamilton's teeth are going to get rattled out of his head based on the way his helmet was bouncing around on his driver cam.

I’d be very curious to see Hamilton’s fastest lap vs George’s. There’s no way George had the same amount of porpoising since he beta Hamilton by .6 and was only .6 off Verstappen. I think they said Hamilton had a new floor on, so maybe that made the issue worse? Idk it’s wild to see, but I still think Merc will end up with the fastest car at some point this season. 

Qualifying is going to be a ton of fun. It’ll be really interesting to see if either RB or Ferrari still have some extra pace in hand. It looks like the RB has the edge right now. I think Ferrari said they’ll have a new floor at some point but not for this race so they could see a jump later in the season. 

I would definitely be up for a Verstappen-Leclerc battle this season. It was also surprising to see Sainz over half a second off Leclerc in both their first medium run and the soft run later in the session. It might be that Ferrari were toying with different setups. I doubt he’s actually that far off just on pace. I guess some drivers may struggle with adapting to the new cars right away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, wood said:

Points trump pace. Pace is only part of what you need. You also need to know when not to be too aggressive. I like Leclerc, but so far, Sainz has had the better of him imho.

Exactly. It's a bit like saying only a hair separates Bottas from Hamilton because of qualifying. In reality Hamilton is light years better because of ability to drive an actual race. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Something weird does seem to be going on with Mercedes engined cars. I don’t know what to think.

Top speeds in P2:

14d766447d5a34fef0bf86a080f8bcdd.png

Yeah. Merc was right up there with RB and Ferrari in s2, but lost almost all their time on S1 and S3 on the straights. On top of that, like you said, all Merc powered cars lost a ton on the straights, so either all 4 teams have engines way down or maybe Merc is struggling with the E10 fuel change? It’s definitely strange.