Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. It’s getting ridiculous. Way too many people calling Haas unlucky. Pimping your team out to the highest bidders no matter how shitty or unreliable, like Story and Mazepin, is just bad business, not bad luck. 

And like others have said, Haas has so much potential as an American team, especially if they could’ve gotten an Americana driver and then parlayed that into some big American sponsors. Instead, he took the quick cash by selling out to the Russians and threw away the most marketable aspect of his team in the process. If Haas would quit trying to cut corners and be a cheap ass, he could’ve had a massive value proposition on his hands. 

Yep. It became apparent very early on that he never cared about fielding a strong American team. He was only in F1 to expose Haas machine tools to the global market.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. It’s getting ridiculous. Way too many people calling Haas unlucky. Pimping your team out to the highest bidders no matter how shitty or unreliable, like Story and Mazepin, is just bad business, not bad luck. 

And like others have said, Haas has so much potential as an American team, especially if they could’ve gotten an Americana driver and then parlayed that into some big American sponsors. Instead, he took the quick cash by selling out to the Russians and threw away the most marketable aspect of his team in the process. If Haas would quit trying to cut corners and be a cheap ass, he could’ve had a massive value proposition on his hands. 

I started to write a response that he should wrap the car in an American flag, have Hulk Hogan drive one car and Tom Cruise the other and then sign up Yeti, Carhart, and Budweiser as sponsors.

Then I realized that I was just describing NASCAR and felt like an idiot for thinking I had some genius plan for 20 seconds.

8 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I had been of the mindset that his father would eventually buy the team and that would secure the kid's seat, until he destroyed all the cars.

But now, I'd be all on board with Andretti buying the team and giving it a go.

Interesting times these.

I've been wondering about that. F1 is a failed experiment for haas and Andretti wants in. Why go through the hoops of getting a new team approved when you could just swipe up haas?  Maybe they are a steaming pile of shit and it would be harder than just starting from acratch. No clue. 

9 minutes ago, pops said:

I've been wondering about that. F1 is a failed experiment for haas and Andretti wants in. Why go through the hoops of getting a new team approved when you could just swipe up haas?  Maybe they are a steaming pile of shit and it would be harder than just starting from acratch. No clue. 

I think people overestimate Haas's money troubles and desire to sell. Andretti already said he's asked Hass 5 or 6 times if he would sell and the answer has always been no. Haas automation has a $1B + revenue annually. They can make the F1 team work and it's constantly going up in value. There's really no reason to sell unless Haas literally can't afford to pay the bills, which I don't think is the case. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, pops said:

I saw somewhere that Michael had approached Haas, but they weren't selling.  One of the problems with buying Haas is that there really just isn't much there compared to other teams and a lot would have to be built from scratch - after paying to buy the team. It would gain him entry into F1 though.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think people overestimate Haas's money troubles and desire to sell. Andretti already said he's asked Hass 5 or 6 times if he would sell and the answer has always been no. Haas automation has a $1B + revenue annually. They can make the F1 team work and it's constantly going up in value. There's really no reason to sell unless Haas literally can't afford to pay the bills, which I don't think is the case. 

I agree. Haas is in F1 to sell machine tools to an international market. He's not in it to win F1 titles, and apparently spends just enough to keep his car (a rolling Haas Automation billboard) on the grid. It seems like he's getting a good return on that investment, or he'd be selling.

Don't get me wrong. Haas is cash-strapped compared to other teams in terms of how much they're allowed to spend on being competitive. I just don't think that comes from a lack of available money - but rather due to a lack of will to spend anything beyond what's necessary to stay on the grid. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

And yeah, F1 teams aren't getting any cheaper. The $200M entry fee has effectively made F1 a franchise sport, and many of the current teams are protecting that turf. I, like Zak Brown and apparently RBR and Alpine, think that's a pretty short-sighted approach, esp given FOM's and the teams' stated desire to exploit the untapped American F1 market, but F1 gonna F1. 

14 hours ago, pops said:

failed experiment?

you really think he's just writing off $$$$$, blowing off offers to buy and dicking around because the team is a failure or losing a ton of cash?

usa network shawn and gus GIF

Jonesing for a fix, I watched the Valtteri Bottas episode from last season of DTS last night. Man, you don't know what's behind the scenes is accurate and what's played up, but it made it clear that Bottas was an afterthought for that team. 

Also, I forgot how much I like VB. 

Jonesing for a fix, I watched the Valtteri Bottas episode from last season of DTS last night. Man, you don't know what's behind the scenes is accurate and what's played up, but it made it clear that Bottas was an afterthought for that team. 
Also, I forgot how much I like VB. 

I disagree. He had one job after he was behind Lewis in points and that was to win the constructor title and help lewis win the driver title. They let Bottas race at the beginning of seasons, but at some point, he fell behind every time and took on his support role.

15 hours ago, wood said:

I saw somewhere that Michael had approached Haas, but they weren't selling.  One of the problems with buying Haas is that there really just isn't much there compared to other teams and a lot would have to be built from scratch - after paying to buy the team. It would gain him entry into F1 though.

No idea on Haas value, but he would at least avoid the $200 million dollar entry fee 

35 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No idea on Haas value, but he would at least avoid the $200 million dollar entry fee 

Except he wouldn’t because no team would be willing to sell for less than that unless they’re in bankruptcy. Teams are going to price the $200MM into their sale value. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Have you never heard of “sunk costs”?

You’ve got to be joking. He owns 1 of only 10 F1 teams in the entire world at a time when F1 is absolutely blowing up worldwide. It’s a profitable investment, not to mention all the advertising value  Haas Automation gets from it. 

I’m sure Covid and Uralkali have set their finances back some, but Haas F1 made profit in 2017 and probably has other years too.  It’s nowhere near the money pit people keep trying to make it out to be.

There’s a reason Haas has turned down Andretti’s offers to buy 6 times now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So far it’s all from unreliable sources, like an Italian outlet that makes up rumors, Mark Hughes and Will Buxton, but there’s at least a rumor going around that Merc’s real car will have no side pods and will be drastically faster than the sims they ran with sidepods.

I really hope it’s not true. Merc dominating would be the least exciting outcome possible from the new reg changes. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

So far it’s all from unreliable sources, like an Italian outlet that makes up rumors, Mark Hughes and Will Burton, but there’s at least a rumor going around that Merc’s real car will have no side pods and will be drastically faster than the sims they ran with sidepods.

I really hope it’s not true. Merc dominating would be the least exciting outcome possible from the new reg changes. 

Before testing, there was some speculation that the Alpine was going be sidepod-less as well. Then they showed up with fairly normal sized sidepods - but very skinny internals and a huge space between them and the bodywork. A lot of people think they aren't showing their true shape yet.

I think we're going to see lots of big changes in some of the cars between now and Melbourne, but who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Before testing, there was some speculation that the Alpine was going be sidepod-less as well. Then they showed up with fairly normal sized sidepods - but very skinny internals and a huge space between them and the bodywork. A lot of people think they aren't showing their true shape yet.

I think we're going to see lots of big changes in some of the cars between now and Melbourne, but who knows.

Yeah, seeing who comes with major developments and which design teams trend towards as the season progresses will be fascinating. There were some reports at the end of the season that two teams had made a huge breakthrough for 2022. I guess it could be Merc and Alpine with no sidepods, but we’ll see. 

I will say that after seeing the engine packaging for teams like Ferrari and McLaren, I think they could definitely make no sidepods work. The real question will be how quickly they could react with the budget cap and generally being behind on aero/development at that point. 

As a Ferrari fan, while I hope they get the chassis right, I think the engine is much more important. They can adapt to the best chassis design after this season, but they’re stuck with the engine til 2026. I’m really curious to see reports on the new engine performance once the races begin. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Fuckin' Haas. What an embarrassment.

Haas has as much business being in F1, as Russian troops have of being in Ukraine.

Not that we didn't already know, but it was really nice of Mazepin to hold a press conference to confirm what a spoiled brat and total piece of shit he is. The funniest part is him thinking he's good enough to be in F1 but he's not allowed to drive because he's Russian instead of realizing he's a pay driver whose funding dried up. 

Looks like his dad was added to the sanctions list, so the sponsorship couldn't have gone one regardless of Haas's decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:56 AM, Burt Macklin said:

So far it’s all from unreliable sources, like an Italian outlet that makes up rumors, Mark Hughes and Will Buxton, but there’s at least a rumor going around that Merc’s real car will have no side pods and will be drastically faster than the sims they ran with sidepods.

i saw this 'rumor' this morning...  would be interesting to see.  yes, i get bored watching LH44 out front all the time (which made 2021 more fun) but it's not as if he's not going to run at the front all the time, anyway...  the real beneficiary would be George Russell.

Edited by Snacks

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

i saw this 'rumor' this morning...  would be interesting to see.  yes, i get bored watching LH44 out front all the time (which made 2021 more fun) but it's not as if he's not going to run at the front all the time, anyway...  the real beneficiary would be George Russell.

The fastest car will be out in front, whether Lewis is driving it or not. Or were you just saying Merc's probably still gonna be fastest?

Haas just announced K-Mag will get the second seat. I expect we’ll Jack&Jones prominently on the Haas again. It cracks me up how many people thought they would actually stick with Fittipaldi all year. 

He’ll be a good comp for Schumacher and way more fun than Mazepin or Fittipaldi.

I don't know if "No Michael, that is so not right!" in Toto's Austrian accent will ever get old. Just heard it in the DTS trailer and it made me laugh.

Don't know much about Magnussen, but always had the feeling he had short-man syndrome. Like he always had a chip on his shoulder and was kind of pissed off about anything.

38 minutes ago, utee94 said:

K-Mag is one of the dirtiest and shittiest drivers of the last 20 years.   This is not a good thing at all for Haas, or for F1.

Not even close. He was definitely a better driver at McLaren than anywhere else but he was nowhere near the level of Maldonado or Sutil. Frankly, I just want to hear him get into it with the other drivers. 

All those guys accidentally cause wrecks.  Dickbag k-mag seems to do it on purpose.  He's a menace and much of the rest of F1 genuinely despise him.

The word accidentally and Maldonado have nothing to do with each other. Grosjean, sure, but he was known as a first lap nutcase and nearly got several drivers and himself killed on multiple occasions. K-Mag drives like a dick but so does the current world champion. I haven’t seen anything from MAG (or Max) that makes me stop and say “wow that guy needs to be out of the sport.”

46 minutes ago, The Tres Leches said:

Christian Horner: "The new Mercedes violates the spirit of the regulations. For us, some parts are not legal."

Literally thought you were making fun of CH. Turns out he actually said that.