Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

34 minutes ago, G650 said:

HAAS poor judgement is a pattern. They can deal with the consequences.

I have to say that I have given Vettel much grief over the years, but I absolutely respect the line he has drawn. No equivocation.

Yep, and yep.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Agree on Vettel.

And I don't think anyone should "save" Haas but I'd be delighted if an American billionaire wanted to step in and salvage the team and maybe even try to make it competitive.

I wouldn't mind Andretti taking them over. That's for sure. (ETA: Hawndoh beat me to it)

Edited by wood

20 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The other fallout from Russia starting a war is that Uralkali may not be able to continue as a sponsor, which would mean Mazepin loses his seat and Haas has to find a driver with enough SL points and huge backing or they might not be able to afford operating, which could open the door for Andretti/Herta. That all seems a little bit of a stretch but it sure would be a fascinating twist to the season. 

19 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

VET says nein to racing in Russia.

Russia officially cancelled. Good. And good for Seb and Max for speaking up  

• Like 1

I don't see how Haas can continue to be associated with Uralkali and the Mazepins.

Uralkali is a Russian chemical company with Dmitry Mazepin as deputy chairman of the Uralkali board and Uralchem CEO. He is the father of Haas driver Nikita Mazepin and is an associate of Vladimir Putin, attending the Kremlin for a meeting called by Putin on Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/25/russian-grand-prix-set-for-switch-turkey-after-ukraine-invasion-motor-sport-formula-one-f1

• Like 2

So there is rumor mill talk that Mazepin could be dropped.

Can anyone work through this with me? Is it because if the sponsor is dropped then why have Mazepin who isn't considered that good? Or are they tying Mazepin to his dad who is then tied to Putin? Or is it just that Mazepin isn't that good and this would give some cover?

Not a fan of his, but on the surface it seems kinda shitty to drop the guy because of something his country did. 

20 hours ago, wood said:

Zak Brown, spot on again.

F1 teams "short-sighted" in not welcoming Andretti - Brown https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-short-sighted-in-not-welcoming-andretti-brown/8454882/

Zak Brown comes across as a very likable dude in basically every interview i see with him.

money quote:

"I think the teams that may not support another team are being short-sighted.

"Are we trying to grow the sport? Or are we doing what racing teams have a bad tendency to do, which is think about today and not the future."

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So there is rumor mill talk that Mazepin could be dropped.

Can anyone work through this with me? Is it because if the sponsor is dropped then why have Mazepin who isn't considered that good? Or are they tying Mazepin to his dad who is then tied to Putin? Or is it just that Mazepin isn't that good and this would give some cover?

Not a fan of his, but on the surface it seems kinda shitty to drop the guy because of something his country did. 

No Uralkali = No Mazepin. Dude is very clearly a pay driver, and without the $$ he wouldn't have the seat. I don't think he brings other sponsorships outside of Uralkali/his dad, and even if he does he just brings more RU dollars.

re: your last line - Mazepin has ZERO business in F1 based on his results. This was the case last year and is even more clearly the case this year. Is it shitty to dump a guy in the middle of testing? yes. Will literally anyone whose last name isn't Mazepin or Haas complain about it?

No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Like 1

I don't have any problem with punitive measures enacted against any Russian oligarch, or the families or friends of any Russian oligarchs, or anything else associated with the despicable pieces of shit who enable and support and benefit from Putin's evil regime.

Fuck each and every one of them.

And that's all I'll say about that on a Formula 1 thread.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

Zak Brown comes across as a very likable dude in basically every interview i see with him.

Yeah he does. I don't really have a "favorite" team as I enjoy the battles more than pulling for one team or another, but I'd guess that McLaren would be ahead of others with Brown and Ricciardo? Just guys that you're happy to see win.

11 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Imma thinkin change the color of HAAS from red to burnt orange.  Put a Longhorn logo on the cowling and you have ...

The Longhorn Racing Team. AND... it's in our Storm Trooper Whites look too.

Tito Beveridge is a billionaire these days.  And his distillery is near COTA already.  

How does "Tito's Racing Presents the Tito's Racing Team at the Tito's Grand Prix at the Tito's Ring in Austin, TX" sound?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Tito Beveridge is a billionaire these days.  And his distillery is near COTA already.  

How does "Tito's Racing Presents the Tito's Racing Team at the Tito's Grand Prix at the Tito's Ring in Austin, TX" sound?

Can't. Tito's is a real product. Lower-tier F1 teams only deal in weird brands that don't actually seem to make anything we ever see in stores like BWT, Rich Energy, Huski Chocolate, and Moose Craft Hot Dogs.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

money quote:

Agree 100%. I've been very impressed by him in many ways ever since he took over at McLaren ... and I was told before that that he's a complete asshole. Can't agree with that assessment, at least from the outside.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

That statement by the FIA is pretty non-committal.  It's a "for now" statement, not a "yeah, it's cancelled period" statement.

2 hours ago, pops said:

This

Yeah it's just delayed for now, but that may be a step they're contractually obligated to take before cancellation. You know, crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's to avoid litigation & all.