Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

I'm surprised by the offseason. With it only being a few months, I initially thought "eh, no big deal."

- Didn't think much about F1 starting about a week after the race.
- Last month I starting to think about how it would be nice to have a race weekend.
- Now that I see the cars, I'm wondering why the offseason is so long. Still another month until we see how these cars perform? 

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Getting rid of Masi and not allowing direct communication with the Race Director during the race are both good moves.  Hated listening to Toto and Horner whine in Masi's ear constantly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And my flight home from the Canadian GP just got fucked.

Was on a dual-leg flight home -- Montreal to Toronto to Austin. Just got an automated email that they had to rebook my flights. Except now they have the flight from Toronto to Austin leaving earlier than the flight from Montreal to Toronto. In other words, it's literally impossible for me to take these flights.

And when I call them? "Due to exceptionally high call volume, we cannot place you on hold."

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's so great to see so many different takes on the reg changes.  Can't wait to watch them duke it out on track.

at this point i want the midfield teams to get it right and RBR/MB to screw it up just so we get to see a few races worth of absolute chaos as Max and Lewis stroke out about their cars being shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I always expected F1 in Miami to be a shitshow, but I didn't expect it to be so literally. 

I don't know how I feel about the Miami race. Visually, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The scenery should be so much better than COTA, which compared to seeing it along side Monaco, Austria, etc., is definitely the "racetrack out by the airport." 

But the crowd/scene seems like it will be gross. Very showy -- even by F1 standards -- and a scene that's not at all about the racing. I get the feeling it will be like what has happened with UT football games on steroids. It will be about everything other than racing.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't know how I feel about the Miami race. Visually, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The scenery should be so much better than COTA, which compared to seeing it along side Monaco, Austria, etc., is definitely the "racetrack out by the airport." 

But the crowd/scene seems like it will be gross. Very showy -- even by F1 standards -- and a scene that's not at all about the racing. I get the feeling it will be like what has happened with UT football games on steroids. It will be about everything other than racing.

And Las Vegas will be like UT football games on steroids, whilst smoking crack.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There isn't shit for scenery out near the football stadium. 

Miami is both awesome and terrible in equal measures on any scale or metric you can imagine. 

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Nothing says beautiful scenery like an NFL stadium parking lot and suburbs.  Can't wait for those background shots.

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Nothing says beautiful scenery like an NFL stadium parking lot and suburbs.  Can't wait for those background shots.

I'd say on average that Miami is a more scenic place than Austin. 

Yeah, compare that to "the racetrack down by the airport." At least Miami in general is green, blue, and lush. Austin outside of spring is normally brown with drought. Don't get me wrong, we have some pretty parts but I'd say Miami in general looks a lot nicer. 

image.png.2dc97e410871c508e4c21425c7be4df1.png

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'd say on average that Miami is a more scenic place than Austin. 

The broadcasts will play up the beach and the Cuban scene, just like they play up downtown Austin and cattle and BBQ for the USGP.  But if you're looking for "visually beautiful" shots of, or near, the racetrack, you're going to be disappointed.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, anyone ever been shot at an F1 race? I get the feeling Miami or Las Vegas will be the first to see it if not. 

Interesting question. Don't know of anything like that. A COTA parking lot attendant did rape a teenaged girl in the parking lot a few years back. It was during a WEC weekend iirc, but she was there for the JMBLYA Fest happening across COTA Blvd.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, compare that to "the racetrack down by the airport." At least Miami in general is green, blue, and lush. Austin outside of spring is normally brown with drought. Don't get me wrong, we have some pretty parts but I'd say Miami in general looks a lot nicer. 

image.png.2dc97e410871c508e4c21425c7be4df1.png

Also, first time I've noticed "Swiss Alpine Village"

Man, I bet that confuses some Europeans looking for an AirBnb by the track.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Whos toto going to email now?

front wing on new cars look nice. Finally clean and elegant. The alpha tauri is cool

Heh, I've been trying to figure out why I actually DON'T like the front wing, and I finally realized, it's because it reminds me of the fake champ car used in the 2001 movie "Driven" (which IMO really sucked).

Made for Movie

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Heh, I've been trying to figure out why I actually DON'T like the front wing, and I finally realized, it's because it reminds me of the fake champ car used in the 2001 movie "Driven" (which IMO really sucked).

Yeah, aesthetically speaking, I'm not a fan of the front wing. 

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

not allowing direct communication with the Race Director during the race are both good moves.

Unfortunately that tweet didn't tell the whole story.  A designated person can still contact the race director during the race.  We just can't hear it anymore.

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Unfortunately that tweet didn't tell the whole story.  A designated person can still contact the race director during the race.  We just can't hear it anymore.

Right, but the teams cannot directly contact the RD during the race.  They must go through an intermediary.  And that's how it should be, IMO.  Take the emotions of things happening in the moment out of it.

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

They didn't say if the contact would be directly with the RD. They said "It will still be possible to ask questions to the race director, according to a well-defined and non-intrusive process".

I hope that by "non-intrusive process", they mean something like what I talked about before, with a person fielding and screening the questions to the RD.

Disappointed to see the silver back. I know it's tradition, but I think the black Mercedes was the sharpest -- and best looking -- car on track. Just looked mean. 

Yay on COTA? Shouldn't be sad about a race in our backyard, but I figure in the next five years I go out for one, maybe two races. I think the track itself is amazing but man it's a beating to attend.

Maybe it's just the angle of that one picture that's posted here, but so far I think the Williams has the best looking car, not necessarily livery. Beautiful curves.

Ferrari, AM, AT, Williams look pretty good.
Mercedes, HAAS, RB all look fine although that Mercedes livery is borderline too busy.
McLaren, wut r u doing?

29 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Disappointed to see the silver back. I know it's tradition, but I think the black Mercedes was the sharpest -- and best looking -- car on track. Just looked mean. 

I'm so glad the silver is back.  So much better IMO.  Although I don't love the large Merc symbols, too busy.  I prefer the subtle small ones.

Yay on COTA? Shouldn't be sad about a race in our backyard, but I figure in the next five years I go out for one, maybe two races. I think the track itself is amazing but man it's a beating to attend.

Of course it's great news.  I'm delighted it's extended.  When it was first announced I didn't believe it would happen at all, and then when it did happen, I didn't think it would make it more than 5 or 6 years with the way Bernie tended to run things.

I've been every year they've had it, and I'll continue to do so as long as it's around. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Feel exactly the same... :/

• Hook 'Em 1