Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Disappointed to see the silver back. I know it's tradition, but I think the black Mercedes was the sharpest -- and best looking -- car on track. Just looked mean. 

Yay on COTA? Shouldn't be sad about a race in our backyard, but I figure in the next five years I go out for one, maybe two races. I think the track itself is amazing but man it's a beating to attend.

Yeah after attending almost every race session out there for the first 10 years, I'm pretty much done with it for the big 3 series. That could change with the return of some meaningful sportscar racing (ie great action, small crowds, & lower prices), but afaik, that's not happening.

47 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. LOL. Scarbs tweeted yesterday some speculation that the new Alpine may actually run everything through the airbox & not have sidepods at all.

with the caveat that no one really knows anything until the cars actually race at Bahrain, as a Ferrari fan and really just wanting to see anyone besides Merc have the best car, the fact that Merc were able to package their engine super slim and it appears they’ve been able to get a barge board effect on this car, seem like very bad signs for every other team. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

with the caveat that no one really knows anything until the cars actually race at Bahrain, as a Ferrari fan and really just wanting to see anyone besides Merc have the best car, the fact that Merc were able to package their engine super slim and it appears they’ve been able to get a barge board effect on this car, seem like very bad signs for every other team. 

i assume this is how everyone that isn't a Merc/Lewis fan feels - they just want things shaken up, right?

• Like 1

this is F4, not F1 but it is amazing

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/svmgj6/ot_in_todays_f4_uaes_race_the_drivers_had_an/

In today's F4 UAE's race, the drivers had an improper grid restart after a red flag, lining up one behind another instead of their grid positions, leading to every driver except the 1st one being penalized with 5 seconds

nyc4xiteemi81.png

from the comments:

Well I mean if everyone got a 5 second penalty, then nobody is actually penalised.

Unless the leader got overtaken in the later stages and got his position back because of the penalty

and

That's exactly what happened, the leader got overtaken but the new leader failed to make his gap big enough, and lost his position due to the penalty. The original leader won as a result.

looks like something else weird like this happened in UAE not long ago too? https://formulascout.com/dunne-wins-as-28-other-drivers-penalised-in-bizarre-f4-uae-race

I hope Andretti gets to join and can put together a competent entry. I don't know that HAAS will ever get to the point of being a legit American competitor. They also don't really feel all that American as they are essentially a Ferrari puppet funded by the Russian version of Stroll.

I also want to see if Herta can make a go of it in F1.

So who knows if it will ever actually happen, but I hope the Andrettis can pull it off.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 1:45 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't know how I feel about the Miami race. Visually, it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The scenery should be so much better than COTA, which compared to seeing it along side Monaco, Austria, etc., is definitely the "racetrack out by the airport." 

But the crowd/scene seems like it will be gross. Very showy -- even by F1 standards -- and a scene that's not at all about the racing. I get the feeling it will be like what has happened with UT football games on steroids. It will be about everything other than racing.

On 2/17/2022 at 2:07 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, anyone ever been shot at an F1 race? I get the feeling Miami or Las Vegas will be the first to see it if not. 

This is the exact type of person we don't want to see in Miami for the grand prix. I'll be rocking the suit

spacer.png

• Like 1

McLaren looking at that Alpine and breathing a sigh of relief.

As the French would say... gar-báge.

Seriously, just terrible. I don't think BWT exists, but if it does, I wouldn't drink it anyway due to this massacre.

Yeah the pink car is just for the first 2 races. The blue livery looks about as good as I could expect when having to incorporate a pink title sponsor. My only real beef with the livery is the unnecessary use of black on the sides. That should all be replaced by blue. The livery in the renderings looks a lot better. Hopefully that's what it will actually look like. Much more color and 'pop'.

The car itself looks good though (not the show car). Different sidepods. Single pylon. Those sidepods seem skinny.

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, wood said:

That McLaren livery is fucking brutal. The pink sucks on the Alpine, but Sean Bull limited the damage fairly well imho.

If either of them is fast though, it won't matter.

I was told there was going to be Miami Vice style with the blue and pink. I wanted Miami Vice.

18 minutes ago, wood said:

That McLaren livery is fucking brutal. The pink sucks on the Alpine, but Sean Bull limited the damage fairly well imho.

If either of them is fast though, it won't matter.

I'm a homer but I don't think the McLaren livery is that bad. 2015 was way worse. Or was it '16. They were both pretty bad, I can't remember which one had the black and orange.  

Edited by ConferenceRoom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm a homer but I don't think the McLaren livery is that bad. 2015 was way worse. Or was it '16. They were both pretty bad, I can't remember which one had the black and orange.  

It's bad. Not BWT Racing Point bad or BWT Alpine bad, but it's rough.

Dat Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Williams doe.

10 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm a McLaren fan too. When they established the orange and blue liveries as their branding going forward, I was all on board. But now they're weakening that identity, bringing back more black and changing the blue. Doesn't seem to promote strong branding. If they took all the black off the sides of the car, it'd instantly be 10x easier on the eyes. Change back to the old blue, and it's even better.

Edited by wood

And Alpine goes with a different take than what we’ve seen so far with the super skinny sidepods that curve down sharply at the back. We basically have 10 very distinct takes on the regs (maybe 8 if you want to argue AT and Haas are B team versions of the RB and Ferrari designs).

Should be a fascinating season. can’t wait to see which design teams start trending towards as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

Ok, the Formula 1 Big Dog, Know A lot of Stuff people ...

The winglets over the front tires. I understand they are there to help control the wake coming off the front tires and direct it away from the rear wings but ...

Aren't those in prime position to be damaged during pit stops, and if so, what is going to be the impact on the performance of the car?

59 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

The winglets over the front tires. I understand they are there to help control the wake coming off the front tires and direct it away from the rear wings but ...

Aren't those in prime position to be damaged during pit stops, and if so, what is going to be the impact on the performance of the car?

I'm sure the teams have some idea of how much negative effect a damaged winglet would have, based on wind tunnel testing and CFD, but I don't think we'll know much about it until we see it happen in a race or someone reveals that info. There would almost certainly be some effect though. Sorry. This is probably not the answer you were looking for.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ok, the Formula 1 Big Dog, Know A lot of Stuff people ...

Start at 6:08 for that part specifically. It’s related to there not being a Y-250 vortex anymore (which was used to manage front tire wake and essentially shoot it out the side of the car, which negatively affected following cars). Because this doesn’t exist anymore, the fins and vanes of the spec part help to manage that wake, but in a manner than doesn’t create really dirty air for the cars behind, which inhibits following and overtaking. I know you asked about how much they would affect performance, but yeah, it’s really hard to say right now. It likely will mostly affect single-lap performance more than race pace (which is typical).

Another note: the cars should be able to follow better, but the slipstream will also be less powerful.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s all kind of ironic, actually, because in 2009 the regulations were changed to try and improve following and overtaking (sound familiar?). So, they change the rules so that the very middle section of front wing has to have a neutral shape. They do this because this area was bound to lose the most downforce when behind another car (since it’s more in the middle of the car), and by having it make little to no downforce, theoretically the perceived loss in downforce is very low when behind another car, so following should be improved.

So, they made the first 250mm from the car centerline (Y, ergo Y-250) unable to have wing elements. You may know that where there’s a wing, there are wingtip vortices. Because the wings now “start” at the Y-250 vortex, we then had wingtip vortices, and thus, the famous Y-250 vortex, the cause of much dirty air, was born. This effect was very powerful, and made the bargeboards and under-nose cape work very efficiently, effectively sealing them away from the dirty tire wake. The same effect was used on the floor and the funky vortex generators that they used to have in front of the rear tires, and is still used in the rear brake ducts to seal the diffuser (these brake ducts were severely clipped in 2021, and were a huge reason why Mercedes were slower).

A good visual representation of the Y-250:

042bc983616398913f117e8fdcbf2374.jpg

2f27d4b8311a60de3e452bcf99499cd4.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

We also may actually still have a little baby version of the Y-250 this year, though it’s more like a Y-200 (OK I actually looked it up, and the inner adjuster can be anywhere from Y-200 to Y-400). You are allowed to adjust two of the wing elements in the front, up to a maximum of like 35mm or so, so we will see teams do what Mercedes and Haas have already done, effectively creating a ripe area for a little vortex generator right here next to the nosecone.

533f841bb7c1b0c5c5d6cde0a1f8f757.jpg

f96c5bfe2fd1c071f8ba7add859aeeae.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I was thinking about it today, and having a new car formula is great for the intrigue, but there are also new, much bigger rims, new tires, E10 fuel, new Q2 tire rules, and new engines + an engine freeze.

For the first time in a very long time, everything really is up in the air at this point, imho.

• Hook 'Em 1