Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

McLaren should get extra points off for the tiny number on the side. Huge on the nose, but barely see it on the sideview.

Good thing you never see the side of a race car at the track.

I know a lot of y’all don’t like the sprint races but I don’t see anything wrong with adding a meaningful session to the weekend. Here are some tweaks to this year’s  sprint races. I couldn’t understand the part about the top qualifier being awarded “the pole position” yet the grid will be determined by the results of the sprint race

I know a lot of y’all don’t like the sprint races but I don’t see anything wrong with adding a meaningful session to the weekend. Here are some tweaks to this year’s  sprint races. I couldn’t understand the part about the top qualifier being awarded “the pole position” yet the grid will be determined by the results of the sprint race

Last year, the “official” pole-sitter was the winner of the sprint race. They are changing that so that the official record of winning pole is from going fastest during qualifying, which is how it should be.

Example: Lewis won pole at Silverstone, but Max won the sprint race, so Max got the actual stat in the record books for “winning pole”. That will be opposite now.

Essentially this just further enforces the fact that the race is simply a two part race during sprint weekends.

Overall these are positive changes (from before), but I’d still prefer

1) No sprint races, but if not that then
2) Totally decouple the sprint and it’s results from the actual race entirely.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Since there are no barge boards now, the teams have pushed the side pods way further forward than before (check the AT comparison photo above, where the inlet is now basically where the front of the halo is mounted, vs at or behind the driver’s head before) which I think helps a lot with the car proportions.

21 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

But there are already two meaningful sessions -- qualifying and the race. It seems weird to wedge in a shortened mini-race. And while I'm glad they reduced the number from six to three, adding the extra points increases the importance. So if someone wrecks out of the sprint, not only do they potentially lose out on more points now, but they've still got to scramble to get the car ready for the actual event of that weekend.

I see it as the equivalent of having a three-round boxing match the day before the real fight. It just doesn't make sense. 

29 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man I think that car looks amazing. The livery is good, but just the curves and the shape of it. Don't know how else to put it other than it just looks fast.

I prefer the look of all the new cars so far. Last year they had too much crap all over the body, boards etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We’ve seen 6 cars so far and all 6 have significant differences. It’s also interesting that the big 3 teams haven’t shown anything yet. I can’t wait to see the differences between Merc, RB, and Ferrari. It will also probably give us some insight into which of the 6 we’ve seen so far are on the right track. 

On 2/11/2022 at 1:48 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh McLaren... so much promise but that livery is ugly. Way too busy.

I rank it so far:

AM
RB
HAAS
MCL

On 2/11/2022 at 2:21 PM, vicerous said:

Two colors... just pick two colors. Shouldn't be that difficult

Yep. What a mess. What happened to establishing the orange and blue as their new identity, like they said when they came out with the beautiful 2018 & 2019 cars? Turrible.

On 2/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, utee94 said:

The black is what's off.  Push the orange down to fill in where the blue is, and replace the black with blue, and it's instantly about 10x better.

(Still not good, but better)

Yeah basically just replace all the black with either the orange or the blue, and it's instantly 10x better. It's like they were trying to hide all of the beauty and flow of the car design and make the car look as ugly as possible.

3 hours ago, elfenix said:
another show car.  williams says the actual car exists but isn't prettied up yet.  actual car should have started its test running already today. 

Awesome. I've been wanting a solid blue livery from them ever since they ran this in testing back in 2014, and the triangles remind me of the 2019 McLaren.

will-bott-bahr-2014-31.jpg

Edited by wood

Leaked photo of the Ferrari. I think just about every team has had a leak before the reveal at this point. I’m loving the colors. Very early 90s, which were their bets looking cars IMO. No green, no burgundy, no other bullshit, just a beautiful black and red combo. 

As for the aero, it’s definitely unique. I saw some folks comparing it to the 2011 McLaren. It will be fascinating to see what Merc and RB roll out with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If it's real, pushrod front. And as with every car so far the sidepods show different thinking going on.  And an Alpine engineer was saying on twitter that their solution will definitely look different from the rest as well. It'll be interesdting to see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Sweet. That's what I've been wanting.

Yup, if it's real, then that's exactly what we've been asking for.

Red.  And black.

Personally I'd prefer to keep all those components around the sidepods red as well, and just have the black prominent at the front and rear wing, but it's a minor quibble.  As long as the green is gone, and the burgundy is gone, and we don't get a lot of white reintroduced with Santander coming back, then I'm good.  I don't ask for much... :)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup, if it's real, then that's exactly what we've been asking for.

Red.  And black.

Personally I'd prefer to keep all those components around the sidepods red as well, and just have the black prominent at the front and rear wing, but it's a minor quibble.  As long as the green is gone, and the burgundy is gone, and we don't get a lot of white reintroduced with Santander coming back, then I'm good.  I don't ask for much... :)

I always heard that most of the white was for Marlboro. Hopefully we're good there.

Definitely some interesting shapes in that car...

JLiDOe8.png

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

image.png.4c158bc9fbb38cd7ee81a70bffc0315f.png

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Yeah, my work productivity may suffer on March 11.

It won't feature Max, though, since he still doesn't like Drive to Survive.

“I understand that it needs to be done to boost the popularity in America,” he told the Associated Press. “But from my side as a driver, I don’t like being part of it. They faked a few rivalries which they don’t really exist. So I decided to not be a part of it and did not give any more interviews after that because then there is nothing you can show."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/max-verstappen-drive-to-survive-season-4-b2016278.html

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Yeah, my work productivity may suffer on March 11.

It won't feature Max, though, since he still doesn't like Drive to Survive.

“I understand that it needs to be done to boost the popularity in America,” he told the Associated Press. “But from my side as a driver, I don’t like being part of it. They faked a few rivalries which they don’t really exist. So I decided to not be a part of it and did not give any more interviews after that because then there is nothing you can show."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/max-verstappen-drive-to-survive-season-4-b2016278.html

zero chance they have no quotes/interviews from him in it. may not be diary cam style but it will absolutely have him in it.

• Like 1