The Climate thread

Laxtonto

Hope the US finds somewhere else to grow the nation's food because CA won't be able to continue to do so for long. 
I read an article a bit ago about California almond farmers trying to grow pecans in the south and they can't make it work. Turns out there's a lot of specialized labor in California that doesn't exist in the south. E.g. if you need trees planted there's guys that do that and pretty much only that in CA and they know wtf they're doing, which is important when you won't know if they did it right for a decade. The thrust of the article is that it isn't the climate or the soil that makes California ag work, it's the people.

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I read an article a bit ago about California almond farmers trying to grow pecans in the south and they can't make it work. Turns out there's a lot of specialized labor in California that doesn't exist in the south. E.g. if you need trees planted there's guys that do that and pretty much only that in CA and they know wtf they're doing, which is important when you won't know if they did it right for a decade. The thrust of the article is that it isn't the climate or the soil that makes California ag work, it's the people.

That may be the case, but all the know-how in the world means jack shit if there's no water. 

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 1

I've always been told that water usage in CA is 80% ag, 20% urban. Going to be some difficult decisions going forward.

That’s true pretty much everywhere. Everyday human uses - drinking, bathing, cooking, etc. are minuscule compared to agriculture and industry

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That’s true pretty much everywhere. Everyday human uses - drinking, bathing, cooking, etc. are minuscule compared to agriculture and industry

Sort of like oil.  A relatively small amount goes to produce plastics (which of course have their own drawbacks, but not the point), and then cars/transportation, but power generation is the lionshare.  Lion's share?  Whatever is correct.

• 3 weeks later...

missed this last week:

House Panel Expands Inquiry Into Climate Disinformation by Oil Giants

Executives from Exxon, Shell, BP and others are being called to testify in Congress next month after a secret recording this year exposed an Exxon official boasting of such efforts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/climate/exxon-oil-disinformation-house-probe.html

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Quick scan of the last page, and I hadn't seen this yet:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending

Thanks for ruining my day. I came in here to post an article about Ford's announcement to build three new battery factories as it switches to EVs. In the article, there's also mention that GM had earlier announced it would end production of internal combustion engines by 2035, which I hadn't heard before. Now, I just want to kill myself.

Just kidding...sort of.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Thanks for ruining my day. I came in here to post an article about Ford's announcement to build three new battery factories as it switches to EVs. In the article, there's also mention that GM had earlier announced it would end production of internal combustion engines by 2035, which I hadn't heard before. Now, I just want to kill myself.

Just kidding...sort of.

My son is about to turn 4. I’m pretty much in the same place. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

My son is about to turn 4. I’m pretty much in the same place. 

I turned 50 in June so will be lucky enough to avoid the worst of it if I sell my house in Austin upon retirement and become an elderly Yooper. But, yeah, my college-aged daughter was on my mind throughout that article. She's going to school in Upstate NY right now. I should call her tonight and tell her to stay when she graduates.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I turned 50 in June so will be lucky enough to avoid the worst of it if I sell my house in Austin upon retirement and become an elderly Yooper. But, yeah, my college-aged daughter was on my mind throughout that article. She's going to school in Upstate NY right now. I should call her tonight and tell her to stay when she graduates.

You should. If I can I’ll be buying property far North. And hoping that roving bands of trumping don’t just turn this into Mad Max. 

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm in a pleasant rural triangle in NC where there's plenty of water, and a ten degree jump in temp won't mean jack to a Texas expat.

Yeah. I’m eying NC. Of course it’s more the what happens when the water goes, there’s climate migration and food and agribusiness fails. I mean, you’re prepared. Just hope no one steals your shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. I’m eying NC. Of course it’s more the what happens when the water goes, there’s climate migration and food and agribusiness fails. I mean, you’re prepared. Just hope no one steals your shit. 

We're across the street from 100 acre hippie-dippie farm who are more than adequate deterrents, I think, between their family of wolfhounds and their skeet range. Never seen so many heavily armed Liberals in my life. Makes me worry less about living right on the border of Liberal and Trump Nutz.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just read The Uninhabitable Earth mentioned in the article, as well as The Ice at the End of the World. The latter at least began with tales of Scandinavian and Native badasses making incredible journeys into the interior of the Greenland ice sheet before getting into how fucked we are.
Even since I was a kid, I was concerned about the state of the natural world, but some time in the last couple of years, the bleak reality has hit me. The world is only going to become a more difficult, less beautiful place to live for likely all remaining generations of people. We can make it less bad (if climate denying fuckers would get out of the fucking way), but that's the best we can hope for now. Not a pleasant realization as someone with potentially several decades of life ahead of me.
Happy Tuesday, everyone!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

When I begin to consider moving, to position my wife and I for the climate’s change, I wonder how I can make reliable assumptions. 

Yes, the Great Lakes have a fuckton of water. 
Any other certainties y’all can think of?

Canada is expensive. South is fucked.

Not having water is the only certainty of being porked. 

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yep, no chance of increased hurricane activity hitting you in NC. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yep, no chance of increased hurricane activity hitting you in NC. 

I don’t give a shit about hurricane activity if I live close to the blue ridge mountains. I realize you live in Ohio, so imma go ahead and take my entire lifetime of experience along the gulf coast with hurricanes, how they move and strength/weaken moving inland over your experience in Ohio. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t give a shit about hurricane activity if I live close to the blue ridge mountains. I realize you live in Ohio, so imma go ahead and take my entire lifetime of experience along the gulf coast with hurricanes, how they move and strength/weaken moving inland over your experience in Ohio. 

In the NYC area it was the inland areas that were worst hit by Ida.  Not from the tropical storm winds.  But 8-10 inches of rain fell in a couple of hours.  You're not going to be safe from climate change just by moving inland.

17 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

In the NYC area it was the inland areas that were worst hit by Ida.  Not from the tropical storm winds.  But 8-10 inches of rain fell in a couple of hours.  You're not going to be safe from climate change just by moving inland.

No shit. Let me be clear. No one is going to be "safe" from climate change anywhere. Period. Be it migration, food or water shortages, temperatures, fires, or any of the dozens of other direct and trickle down effects of climate change. 

That being said, do you think I'm going to be safer from hurricanes on the coast, or in the mountains? Do you really want to side with Buckeye, here? Because the Blue Ridge mountains in NC are almost 8 hours from the coast. 8 Hours. So tell me, even with the pain of climate change, do you see many people in Dallas suddenly going to stress hurricanes and hurricane season? Dallas, which is 5 hours from Galveston. Because, personally, I don't see it. 

Shit guys, I guess I should stay in Houston. Now, tell me again how far the "New York City area" is from the coast?

Edited by SydneyCarton

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve been to North Carolina. You can have it. And no one wants you to move to Ohio anyway.

We stay open past 10 pm. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve been to North Carolina. You can have it. And no one wants you to move to Ohio anyway.

We stay open past 10 pm. 

I'm sorry, did I ever imply I'd want to move to Ohio? Literally the second worst state than Florida? I was simply pointing out that you're probably not as familiar with hurricanes from your shitpile state as someone like, say, myself who's lived near the gulf of mexico his entire life. We know you certainly didn't look at a fucking map before you made your stupid ass statement. 

Probably the biggest negative consequence of climate change is going to the the massive climate migration vis a vis the lessening resources to support those people. If we're all going to end up crammed together, the last thing I want to do is put down roots in a state that is already brimming with ignorant pieces of shit and general assholes. 

What would be really great if we can just transplant all the refugees from Florida straight to Ohio so the rest of us once again have an idea of where the fuck to avoid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

The world is only going to become a more difficult, less beautiful place to live for likely all remaining generations of people

This is what pisses me off the most.  In the US, most of our most beautiful places are in the West where shit is burning to the fucking ground.

• Like 1

The massive human suffering is going to be horrible. It also really sucks to lose the things that provide joy. As someone who likes to spend leisure time, hiking, camping and wildlife watching/birding, my favorite activities are going to become a shadow of what they currently are in the not-so-distant future. Fuck...

In somewhat related news...
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/us/extinct-animals-2021-list-scn-trnd/index.html
Most of these species have generally been assumed to have been extinct for a few decades now. CenTex makes the list with a fish.
Hawaii's remaining native birds are pretty much fucked thanks to avian malaria, and warming temperatures allowing those mosquitoes to move to higher elevations. It's going to be really surreal watching creatures I've seen vanish entirely during my lifetime.

When I begin to consider moving, to position my wife and I for the climate’s change, I wonder how I can make reliable assumptions. 

Yes, the Great Lakes have a fuckton of water. 
Any other certainties y’all can think of?

Water will be the central issue everywhere. West of 35, far too little of it. East of 35 - too much of it with heavy rain, flooding, and excessive humidity. The Atlantic and Gulf coasts are more vulnerable to sea level rise because of the topography.

• 2 weeks later...