The Climate thread

Laxtonto

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Of course. I think it’s fine if you want to eat bugs. The part that I don’t like is who’s promoting it. This isn’t some small opinion outlet. It makes me think there will be a coordinated push to manipulate the food consumption of large amounts of people. 

Promoting what? The reduction of a regulation? You're just bitching to bitch. Go on with your bad self and own some libs while investing in bitcoin. Your hypocrisy and idiocy are mildly amusing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

a coordinated push to manipulate the food consumption of large amounts of people. 

and we certainly can't have that. 

Edited by elfenix
this post brought to you by the iowa corn council and coca cola
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Promoting what? The reduction of a regulation? You're just bitching to bitch. Go on with your bad self and own some libs while investing in bitcoin. Your hypocrisy and idiocy are mildly amusing. 

Protein substitution, diet modification. For the environment. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Of course. I think it’s fine if you want to eat bugs. The part that I don’t like is who’s promoting it. This isn’t some small opinion outlet. It makes me think there will be a coordinated push to manipulate the food consumption of large amounts of people. 

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Since y'all insist on quoting the troll, I'd like to point out that we'd all probably already be eating bugs if the true cost of beef and pork production were borne by the consumer and not socialized like it is now.

"Food consumption manipulation" indeed.

It will eventually be borne by the consumer when the environmental effects come home to roost.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

By the way, I'm all in (25 shares, $7 bucks a share) on MITC - 3D technology + beefy stem cells equal printed Israeli steaks.

SJxBqnb2KL_0_0_4032_1960_large.jpg

Will save the rain forests and leave the steers to be eaten by bears and mountain lions, their natural predators.

Edited by tantric superman

Well here's a rational response to a dying industry.  I bolded two statements.  The first is a snowflake.  The second actually brings up a good point, but times, they are a-changin.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/07/wyoming-coal-threat-mining-republican-governor

Wyoming is faced by a transition to renewable energy that’s gathering pace across America, but it has now come up with a novel and controversial plan to protect its mining industry – sue other states that refuse to take its coal.

A new state law has created a $1.2m fund to be used by Wyoming’s governor to take legal action against other states that opt to power themselves with clean energy such as solar and wind, in order to meet targets to tackle the climate crisis, rather than burn Wyoming’s coal.

Wyoming is America’s largest coal-producing state, digging up nearly 40% of the coal produced nationally each year. The state is heavily dependent upon revenues from mining to run basic services and as it produces 14 times more energy than it consumes, selling coal to other states is a vital source of income.

The measure sends a message that Wyoming is “prepared to bring litigation to protect her interests”, said a spokesman for Mark Gordon, the Republican governor of the deeply conservative state, which strongly backed Donald Trump in the last two presidential elections.

Trump promised, but failed, to revive a coal industry in deep decline across the US, with Wyoming’s mining sector shedding thousands of jobs in recent years as utilities switch to cheap supplies of gas and states such as California move to phase out polluting fuel sources from their power generation.

Joe Biden has vowed the US will cut its planet-heating emissions in half this decade to confront what he has called “the existential threat of our time” in the climate crisis. But the defiant stand by Wyoming shows that the transition to renewable energy and electric cars will be, in some quarters, bitterly fought.

“We have seen a spike in states trying to block Wyoming’s access to consumer markets to advance their political agenda,” said Jeremy Haroldson, a Republican state legislator who introduced the new law.

Fellow Republicans previously proposed banning the closure of any coal plants in the state. Haroldson said phasing out coal would risk the sort of disastrous power blackouts suffered by Texas in February. “It is time we start truly caring about the future,” he said.

Legal experts have said the new strategy is on shaky ground.

While the US constitution’s commerce clause prevents one state from banning goods and services based upon their state of origin, there is nothing to prevent them banning certain things, such as coal, as long as the measure is not targeted at one specific state.

Environmentalists argue that lawmakers should be helping build alternate industries to compensate for the inevitable demise of coal, rather than prop up a sector increasingly viewed as polluting and outmoded.

The Eagle Butte mine just north of Gillette, Wyoming.The Eagle Butte mine just north of Gillette, Wyoming. Photograph: Mead Gruver/AP

“Demand for coal will continue dropping in the US and abroad, now that clean energy is more affordable and keeps pollution out of our air and water,” said Rob Joyce, an energy campaigner at the Sierra Club in Wyoming. “If we want to get out of this state’s boom and bust cycle, we have to focus our investment on a new economic future rather than clinging to a fading industry.”

But while the rural landscape of Wyoming provides it with good potential for wind energy, America’s least populous state does not have a ready-made replacement for a mining industry that has long provided the bulk of its revenues, funding essential services such as education.

“In many ways this legal fund sounds crazy, like a Flat Earth idea,” said Rob Godby, an expert in natural resources at the University of Wyoming. “But for people in Wyoming, there is no other industry. It’s not just people losing their livelihood but also their culture – people here were proud they kept the lights on across the US. It’s very difficult to go from the hero to the villain.”

Godby said lawmakers privately acknowledge that coal is in a steep decline that will force either cuts in services or wildly unpopular tax increases, but that fighting for the industry publicly has become a litmus test for the Republican-voting electorate.

“The lawsuits will fulfill that rhetoric because it will look like the state is pushing back against the leftists,” he said. “But it’s symbolic, the fight is over – even if you win a court case it’s a pyrrhic victory because no – one really wants the coal. The losses to the state are going to be so large that the rationale is to try to postpone that for as long as possible.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Well here's a rational response to a dying industry.  I bolded two statements.  The first is a snowflake.  The second actually brings up a good point, but times, they are a-changin.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/07/wyoming-coal-threat-mining-republican-governor

hope that whopping $1.2 million is enough to cover the other states' attorneys fees.

Wyoming sounds like they're a bunch of anti-free market communists who are pushing for state-planning of their industry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Random musing... was in Jackson Wyoming and surrounding areas last weekend with couple of friends from that area. Both Mormon and grew up in a generally conservative households.

I was commenting about how beautiful the area was and why the heck would Republicans in control of the area (Idaho/Wyoming/Montana) not care more about the environment. Even if you don't believe in climate change, wouldn't you want all this area to stay pristine? 

They agreed and pretty much described it as the local population still see the area as being so nice and can't make the connection or don't care about it. It was also fascinating to hear them make the realization how much bs the local Republican Party has been in their lifetime. 

Oh, your poor culture is disappearing? State's Rights indeed. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13034895

Listen, just complete the conversion of Wyoming into a 100% tourist destination and get it over with entirely. Pull the bandaid off, you pussies. 

*Super added bonus of the deadpool logo in my snowflakes. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, just complete the conversion of Wyoming into a 100% tourist destination and get it over with entirely. Pull the bandaid off, you pussies. 

Pretty much.  They'd make way more money that way.  But they hold onto this crazy cowboy dream for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Pretty much.  They'd make way more money that way.  But they hold onto this crazy cowboy dream for some reason.

Oh, you mean sorta like Texas exceptionalism? People hate change. It's all a bunch of nostalgic shit from a time when maybe it was true but now is all fucking bullshit.

Not railing at you, I just find it irritating. Change is inevitable. Don't let it ruin your life and try not to be an angry cunt about it, and everyone's lives will be better and happier. 

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Pretty good response from oil & gas industry when North Face refused an order for jackets by an oil and gas company because they didn't want their logo associates with oil industry company...

Along with this website they also put up billboards around North Face's headquarters.

https://www.thankyounorthface.com/

north-face-copy.jpg.c8402424d97445464aeff1a1f6449abe.jpg

My grandfather was a PHD chemist at Celanese. He always said that we were wasting oil by burning it and that is was much more beneficial for products. And, since burning it is primarily what is associated with the release of C02 and climate change, using it for products is actually a form of carbon capture. So, from a climate perspective, we should really differentiate between entities involved with the use of oil and gas for fuel and entities using them for products. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, you mean sorta like Texas exceptionalism? People hate change. It's all a bunch of nostalgic shit from a time when maybe it was true but now is all fucking bullshit.

Not railing at you, I just find it irritating. Change is inevitable. Don't let it ruin your life and try not to be an angry cunt about it, and everyone's lives will be better and happier. 

Haha.  My job is literally trying to get people to understand that.  It's hard sometimes.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

My grandfather was a PHD chemist at Celanese. He always said that we were wasting oil by burning it and that is was much more beneficial for products. And, since burning it is primarily what is associated with the release of C02 and climate change, using it for products is actually a form of carbon capture. So, from a climate perspective, we should really differentiate between entities involved with the use of oil and gas for fuel and entities using them for products. 

Also, plastic isn't going away.  We should definitely use it more wisely and fucking recycle what we can (!), but there is a much higher chance of getting off of fuel than there is getting off of plastics.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

ironic post is ironic

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Good

Existing pipelines will pick up some of the oil originally projected to be carried by Keystone, while a substantial amount of that projected oil will now be shipped from Canada to the U.S. by rail, a method of transportation that is more risky and harmful to the environment than are pipelines.

So if you mean “good” as good for the environment, then no. If you mean good as in good for Mr. Buffett and his Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad—along with other carriers—then the answer is yes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Sometimes I am envious of the deniers who don't think about this and get depressed every single day.

Second this.

A family member had a DoE grant during the former Administration. It was through DoE and not USDA because even though it was plant based, it had more to do with biofuel, plant tolerance to drought and climate, etc. It was depressing, not so much due the pins and needles about continued funding, but discovering what the plant based scientists are seeing regarding climate and plant health. I'm not a biologist/geneticist etc, but listening to the discussion at a gathering of friends and family it is a lot of head shaking because they know things are grim but no one else is really listening to what they are saying. In some ways it makes me think about the Dust Bowl and the people who hired water diviners and cloud seeders and tried all sorts of things, but the land was abused and it needed time to heal. I'm not so sure we have that much time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But climate change is a hoax:

A vast tarpaulin unravels, gathering speed as it bounces down the glacier over glinting snow. Summer is here and the alpine ice is being protected from global warming.

In northern Italy, the Presena glacier has lost more than one third of its volume since 1993.

Once the ski season is over and cable cars are berthed, conservationists race to try and stop it melting by using white tarps that block the sun’s rays.

“This area is continuously shrinking, so we cover as much of it as possible,” explains Davide Panizza, 34, who heads the Carosello-Tonale company that does the work.

From covering around 30,000 sq metres in 2008 when the project began, his team now places 100,000 sq metres under wraps

I’m pretty much rooting for it at this point. We deserve what we get. Nature will force a balance. 
Particularly excited to get the opportunity to watch it all unfold! I'm at the point where I feel the need to make any nature-centric vacation plans in the next 5 years.

54 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:
3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:
I’m pretty much rooting for it at this point. We deserve what we get. Nature will force a balance. 

Particularly excited to get the opportunity to watch it all unfold! I'm at the point where I feel the need to make any nature-centric vacation plans in the next 5 years.

Yep

Some climate scientists are now advocating for the heat domes that sit over vast areas of the country be named much in the same way we name hurricanes. This is because they will become more routine and will kill more people than hurricanes.

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

As an East Coast resident I get on my high horse and think “That’s right Red State west, how you like that climate change now!”   

Then we get 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes as part of a summer storm and I’m:

Think Hold On GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Edited by Bateshorn

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Between the trumpanzees and the climate going sideways, I'm getting pretty firmly planted in the "just have fun watching it all burn" phase of my life. 

I was not a drinker in college due to athletic training, but I have drunk more booze in the last two years than all my years combined. A toast to the ledge-- may the breeze be fair, the company convivial, and the view sublime.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 7:18 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was not a drinker in college due to athletic training, but I have drunk more booze in the last two years than all my years combined. A toast to the ledge-- may the breeze be fair, the company convivial, and the view sublime.

6b6c2ea0-8a59-4025-8a2d-349abc0644fc_tex

• Hook 'Em 1