2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

Minor celebration.   I clocked in at 199.8 today.

That's the lowest I've been that I'm aware of since the summer of 2009, when I weighed 193 on my wedding day. Which, the warning signs were in place then; I had gone from 207 to 167 from March 2005 to December 2006, so I had a weight loss-gain cycle coinciding with the last few years of my first marriage (a lot of stress, so I just didn't eat much at all) and meeting my now-wife (incredibly happy, no stress, no exercise at all) and getting married.

I do recall on my wedding day being surprised I had gained 26 lbs from my low point weight wise and sort of vowing to myself to do something about it.  Obviously, I didn't.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 12:21 PM, Storm the Field said:

1 month later check in. Still steady working out and eating better. Definitely in much better "shape" than when I started. Gut still soft but protruding out way less than before, pants are fitting great, starter double chin receding...etc.

Still a grind to actually drop any significant weight though. 202 as of yesterday morning. In an effort to achieve the bolded, I decided to be extra strict on the diet and make sure I hit the gym every weekday this week and next. I think I can breach 200 sometime next week. Wish me luck. 

Still more of the same. Weight has pretty much plateaued right around 200, but I continue to improve the fat to muscle ratio. Had my first real setback last week, missing a good 5 days of lifting due to a nasty cold. Fortunately got back on the wagon yesterday. In the past, I've been bad about getting into a routine for 2 or 3 months, but then missing a week or two out hurt/sick/vacation and next thing I know it's been 2 months since I've done anything.

Key thing for me coming up will be not letting it all go to shit this Fall and Holiday Season. The last 5 years or so, I've let myself be a complete gutton starting usually around Astros playoffs time all the way through New Years. Just can't allow that to happen again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2022 at 3:47 PM, Storm the Field said:

Still more of the same. Weight has pretty much plateaued right around 200, but I continue to improve the fat to muscle ratio. Had my first real setback last week, missing a good 5 days of lifting due to a nasty cold. Fortunately got back on the wagon yesterday. In the past, I've been bad about getting into a routine for 2 or 3 months, but then missing a week or two out hurt/sick/vacation and next thing I know it's been 2 months since I've done anything.

Key thing for me coming up will be not letting it all go to shit this Fall and Holiday Season. The last 5 years or so, I've let myself be a complete gutton starting usually around Astros playoffs time all the way through New Years. Just can't allow that to happen again.

I hate giving advice as each individual is different and has different motivations but I'll throw this out to you.  Forget what you did in the past.  Try and be better EACH INDIVIDUAL DAY.  Try and do better than you did yesterday, today.  Don't worry about tomorrow, it will come.  Hold yourself accountable to today and forget the past.

• Hook 'Em 1

Something to ponder with weight loss, and getting in better shape.

The past 3 years, my employer has brought in some health firm to do a wellness check for free.  Blood drawn, flu shot, whatnot.  I've gotten physicals from my doc over the years, but I've taken advantage of the wellness check since it's, well...free.  They have this handy portal that has all of your visits over the years in a nifty chart for comparsion.  

I've documented that I did absolutely nothing exercise or diet wise until January of this year.  Having said that, I had the wellness check for 2022 a week ago, and received the results today.  Some of the numbers from the blood work were slightly jarring, compared to 2020 and 2021.  Here's a sampling.   I do have a physical scheduled with the doc next month, so I'm interested to see what my blood work from the past 2-3 years will look like compared to this year.

2020 2021 2022
Blood Pressure 126/78 114/80 122/64
Total Cholesterol 202 208 181
HDL 49 53 63
LDL 123 114 95
Testosterone 331.2 285.2 554.5

I was stunned with the testosterone jump.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Francisco, that’s damn impressive, but not necessarily surprising, as weight loss, better eating, and exercise can do wonders for your cholesterol and testosterone levels without medications. Remind us, how old are you and what is your exercise regimen?

I'll turn 55 this month.  For exercise, a Peloton 30 minutes or more per day.  Longest streak was 105 or so consecutive days; in August I missed 4 days total.  Dietary wise, aside from quitting sweet tea and full strength Dr Pepper, pretty much nothing has changed.  I'm a bit more mindful of overeating, however.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually better than before the season. 

While I was pretty much done with the pandemic a long time ago (eating in restaurants, going to stores, traveling, going into the office every day, etc., all without masking), for some reason I never got my ass back to the gym.  I simply continued using a set of dumbbells a trainer friend had given me a couple weeks into the pandemic, and working with those and running 1-2 times a week kept me in pretty decent shape (although noticed lately a touch of softness developing around the midsection).  Maybe I got too comfortable with the ease of waking up and simply going downstairs for a workout rather than making the trip to the gym.

But right before Labor Day I broke the seal and made my first 5:00 a.m. trip to the gym since March 12, 2020, and have been on a steady schedule since then of 4-5 days a week lifting, running about once a week, and at least one day of rest.  Most of my muscle memory was there, but since I had been relatively limited on what I could do at home with a few dumbbells, I've had to regain strength in some areas (pull ups, for example).  But it feels good to get out of the house for workouts, and I've actually put on a tad of lean muscle over the last three weeks.

However, I consider game day my "cheat" days. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

However, I consider game day my "cheat" days. 

I primarily live off of seafood, vegetables and water. I had some very spicy hot wings and beer for the Alabama game.

When you invite a hostile species into a clean environment.

toilet GIF

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, F250 said:

I primarily live off of seafood, vegetables and water. I had some very spicy hot wings and beer for the Alabama game.

When you invite a hostile species into a clean environment.

toilet GIF

My former wife and I did a two week “fat-flush” diet early in our marriage. We were far from fat, but were into uber healthy living. The was all about clean eating designed for optimal liver performance, and was actually pretty interesting to learn about your body and what kind of foods tax your liver and, as a result, lead to weight gain and other ailments. It was a lot of stuff that’s intuitive nowadays – no sugars, no processed foods, high fiber, very low carbs, no caffeine, no alcohol, etc. You can extend the diet, but two weeks was a good whole body detox.

Anyway, after the two weeks we went to Hut’s for burgers, and about an hour later I felt like someone ingested me with poison. I was Jeff Daniels on the toilet for the next couple hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'll turn 55 this month.  For exercise, a Peloton 30 minutes or more per day.  Longest streak was 105 or so consecutive days; in August I missed 4 days total.  Dietary wise, aside from quitting sweet tea and full strength Dr Pepper, pretty much nothing has changed.  I'm a bit more mindful of overeating, however.

I too am 55, and although I have not had any testosterone levels checked, I can definitely feel I have lost a step in the last couple of years, which I attribute to injury and not being able to do any resistance work at all and being hit an miss on walking or cycling.

I was on a pretty good cycling routine where I would hit the hills close to my neighborhood about 5 days per week and it took me about and Hour +/-.  I also have a 25 mile route that is not so hilly and it takes about 2 hours.  I got Covid in the middle of all this and then had a vacation to Norway get in the way and when I got back at it I started having some old groin issues flare up, so I have had to temper my work, which is why you regime intrigues me.  But enough about me...

So if I understand correctly, your improvement is coming from just 30 minutes a day of Cycling and ditching some sugary drinks?  No push ups etc or anything else?

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

So if I understand correctly, your improvement is coming from just 30 minutes a day of Cycling and ditching some sugary drinks?  No push ups etc or anything else?

You got it.

I've never been a big eater, and I rarely eat desserts or sweet things; same with chips or other snack-y things.  I might have a Snickers occasionally.  But I would (and I cannot stress this enough) drink a lot of Dr. Pepper a day;  I could do the eqiuvalent of a 2 liter easily.  And if we went out to eat? I could go 3-4 refills of sweet tea or Dr. Pepper.  I have no idea how many empty calories that was on a daily basis, for decades, but it added up.

The Peloton has helped with me a lot of ways, and I have zero regrets purchasing the device or using it.  But I do wonder how much I would have lost at this point had I simply quit the soda and tea.  It's a thought exercise; wondering if I lost X lbs through quitting liquid sugar, and Y lbs from exercise.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You got it.

I've never been a big eater, and I rarely eat desserts or sweet things; same with chips or other snack-y things.  I might have a Snickers occasionally.  But I would (and I cannot stress this enough) drink a lot of Dr. Pepper a day;  I could do the eqiuvalent of a 2 liter easily.  And if we went out to eat? I could go 3-4 refills of sweet tea or Dr. Pepper.  I have no idea how many empty calories that was on a daily basis, for decades, but it added up.

The Peloton has helped with me a lot of ways, and I have zero regrets purchasing the device or using it.  But I do wonder how much I would have lost at this point had I simply quit the soda and tea.  It's a thought exercise; wondering if I lost X lbs through quitting liquid sugar, and Y lbs from exercise.

The calories burned in 30 minutes of general cycling is somewhere between 250 and 300 cals.  Perhaps Peleton had you a bit more dialed in with their specific work outs.  I would guess that Peleton had you on some all out sprints once or twice every 10 days or so and I could defiantly see some extra weight loss and testosterone jumps from that.

...and your consistency was also a big help.

But 2 liter of DP has 900 calories, which is just an astounding amount of sugar and inflammatory fuel.  I'm surprised that by just giving that up didn't make you grow a spare dick or something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

There aren't many workouts that will wipe out the caloric intake of a daily regimen of two liters of Dr. Pepper and sweet tea. The cycling probably helped but ditching the daily sugar IVs was the primary contributor to your weight loss. Too many missing variables (BMR, TDEE, previous caloric intake, etc...) to really know but I am pretty sure eliminating 900 or so calories a day was the primary reason you lost weight and would have happened without the Peloton.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

There aren't many workouts that will wipe out the caloric intake of a daily regimen of two liters of Dr. Pepper and sweet tea. The cycling probably helped but ditching the daily sugar IVs was the primary contributor to your weight loss. Too many missing variables (BMR, TDEE, previous caloric intake, etc...) to really know but I am pretty sure eliminating 900 or so calories a day was the primary reason you lost weight and would have happened without the Peloton.

This.  Diet is 90% of weight loss.  When I say "diet", I don't mean just short-term elimination of certain foods.  It's altering your lifestyle to not intake those items on a regular basis.

Edited by pearlandhorn

41 minutes ago, F250 said:

Oh, I have no doubt.  Which is why it's a thought exercise to wonder how much weight loss was attributed to exercise, and how much to dietary changes.

• 2 months later...

I don't know who organized the Google Sheets the last time we did the 10,000 burpee challenge (about 30 a day, I think?), but I found the accountability of having a group of you assholes also doing it to be a real motivator, and I would definitely be down for doing it next year.

I also altered my diet considerably the last time we did it, but I lost 39 pounds that year (202.8 to 164.x). I need to lose about 15-20 next year. 

I'm a complete nincompoop with spreadsheets, so I'm graciously and conspicuously offering not to be in charge of setting up and maintaining it... 

I don't know who organized the Google Sheets the last time we did the 10,000 burpee challenge (about 30 a day, I think?), but I found the accountability of having a group of you assholes also doing it to be a real motivator, and I would definitely be down for doing it next year.
I also altered my diet considerably the last time we did it, but I lost 39 pounds that year (202.8 to 164.x). I need to lose about 15-20 next year. 
I'm a complete nincompoop with spreadsheets, so I'm graciously and conspicuously offering not to be in charge of setting up and maintaining it... 

Not gonna lie. That shit fucked me up. Hips and stuff got to hurting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well a mixed year overall.  I think I wound up down 8 lbs over the year, but most importantly the weight I’ve kept has been moving away from the gut.  I’ve added cycling  to my exercise routine, at least 30 miles a week, and play less tennis just because there are so many things to do here and less opponents available.

Completely quit alcohol, permanently, after realizing if I did it I wouldn’t miss it at all.  My biggest problem is my sweet tooth, but I will manage it.

I plan to run more frequently on trails and in rough terrain as road running beats the hell out of my knees.

2023 here we come.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Well a mixed year overall.  I think I wound up down 8 lbs over the year, but most importantly the weight I’ve kept has been moving away from the gut.  I’ve added cycling  to my exercise routine, at least 30 miles a week, and play less tennis just because there are so many things to do here and less opponents available.

Completely quit alcohol, permanently, after realizing if I did it I wouldn’t miss it at all.  My biggest problem is my sweet tooth, but I will manage it.

I plan to run more frequently on trails and in rough terrain as road running beats the hell out of my knees.

2023 here we come.

Gonna need a new username 

• Haha 1

Checking back in. Mostly Dry January starts today. Have a planned cheat day coming up for company party next weekend, but other than that, last night was the last time I should have a beer until February. Gonna do an official weigh-in tomorrow after the bloating from the weekend's gluttony has subsided. 

Good news this year is that I established a pretty good fitness routine last year so I'm not starting out from scratch again. Wasn't particularly strict the last month or so, so I'll probably need a couple weeks to get back to where I was  heading into Thanksgiving week, but, all things considered, starting from a much stronger position than last year. 

Most important thing for me this year will be eating better. I tried to half-ass the diet last year. I know exactly what has worked for me in the past, so just need the discipline to stick to it. Also need to work in more intensive cardio. I'm pretty happy with where I am strength-wise, but really want to get back to around 190 and stay there. 

Edited by Storm the Field

• 2 weeks later...

Decent start so far. Not a drop of booze since New Years Day, been eating way healthier and have resumed my weekday gym routine. Was sore as hell after a couple of the first  sessions last week, but feeling a lot closer to where I used to be this week. In addition to the gym, been walking my dogs a bunch and have taken the bike out a few times. Weather has been pretty conducive to getting outdoors. 

1/2 (still bloated from New Years Weekend): 207.8

1/3 (official beginning weigh-in): 206.6 

1/11: 202.2

I did really good from April to November last year (20-25 pounds shed) and then a late November vacation to Europe, birthday and holiday parties killed me.  I'm up 6-7 pounds since Thanksgiving Day (departure day), but my InBody Test at the gym today says only half of that is new muscle, so I'm stubbornly holding onto about 3-4 pounds of December gluttony and bloat.