USMNT 2022

Napoleon

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I have TNT & TBS...

I do not have HBO Max.

So we can cancel out Paramount+ subscriptions after this window?

HBO Max - If you have AT&T cell service, you can get it free with the right phone plan.

I can't fathom I keep Paramount+ if they don't have the USMNT.

11 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Is Paramount still going to have the Champions League after this year? I thought that contract was ending too.

According to something that popped up on my Google...

CBS Sports is now the new rights-holder for both the UEFA Champions League and Europa League in the United States. The English-language broadcaster has the rights through the end of the 2023/24 season with every single game being available via the Paramount+ streaming platform.Feb 18, 2022

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Video got taken down... 

It was a three-hour highlight reel of my greatest moments on the pitch. Three hours cuz my agent thought the original eight hours would be showing off.

OK, it might have actually been a clip from Dest's showing as left back versus Bilbao this past weekend. He looked better than I expected, particularly in defense.

Here's a similar vid on LDLT--might wanna jump on it while you can.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

…Here's a similar vid on LDLT--might wanna jump on it while you can.

Luca’s #9 fucking loves to kick the ball straight at the keeper. 

I think that that is Luca’s first goal or assist this year. That’s niiiiiice.

He’s similar offensively to Musah in that he gets the ball, turns, and quickly advances the ball up the field… but he doesn’t rack up the goals or assists. Don’t know if Musah’s final touch is as adventurous or as spotty. A little more polish on that final touch would be nice. 🙏

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

This would be a nice addition to our depth.

My guess is that Balogun would be guaranteed a WC roster spot if he is going to switch. 

Hopefully we qualify. 

Pepi has to figure his shit out. 

Sargent could make the squad, but it’s apparent that he’s not a striker. I see him as a reserve #8/#7. More of a Roldan upgrade.

I think that Ferreira is also in a Top 3 spot. 

Dike would have to be on fire for Gregg to include him in a camp.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

My guess is that Balogun would be guaranteed a WC roster spot if he is going to switch. 

Hopefully we qualify. 

Pepi has to figure his shit out. 

Sargent could make the squad, but it’s apparent that he’s not a striker. I see him as a reserve #8/#7. More of a Roldan upgrade.

I think that Ferreira is also in a Top 3 spot. 

Dike would have to be on fire for Gregg to include him in a camp.

On what basis do you believe that Ferreira is in a Top 3 spot?

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Looking at a German friend’s sparsely used Facebook wall and came across an item I posted on his wall nearly 9 years ago that made me laugh. 

It's always better to be lucky than to be good. We'll take the goal regardless.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

On what basis do you believe that Ferreira is in a Top 3 spot?

On the basis of his movement offering an option that is not found from the other strikers not names Balogun. (I know nothing about Balogun.)

He also will be playing the #9 exclusively this season.

Also, Gregg’s assistant coach was Jesús’ coach for years (both at the youth level and the full squad level) AND Gregg’s former assistant at the club & national level is now Jesús’ manager.

That’s why I see Jesús as a Top 3 option. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

If we qualify, the World Cup moving to the winter could turn out to be a good thing, especially for Weston. 

It’s a great thing for anyone returning from injury. 

It’s an awful thing for anyone getting injured Fall 2022.

#ObviousObservationIsObvious

TM breaks down the situation for getting to Qatar.

The TL;DR: Root against CR and Panama in their games not against us. If they drop points, they are going to be in a lot of trouble. What really helps us is that we have scored a lot of goals and sit +9 on GD, so even if we are caught on points, we likely stay ahead of those two because of GD.

The other thing is we can't totally shit the bed. If we only come out of this with 0 or 1 points, we are likely screwed.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Crazy to think we'll know our fate in less than 3 weeks.

Agreed.

In all other World Cup years, the actual World Cup drawing is in November/early December the year BEFORE the tournament and this year it isn’t until late March. 

Edit: Unless we don’t know for sure until June! To quote Axel Rose… It’s “fuckin’ crazy!”

Edited by Napoleon

I am in absolute obsession with running every scenario through my head.  I stared at the table for an hour today, trying to figure out what could/should/might happen. 

Mexico and Canada are pretty much in.  That leaves a spot and a half.  As noted in an earlier post, Panama should be at 20 after the next round.  Costa Rica will either be essentially out OR in the thick of it with 19 points.  (They play Canada at home.)  Worst case scenario, it looks like this with 2 games left.

US 22 pts

Panama 20

Costa Rica 19

We then play Panama at home.  On one hand, Panama really isn't that good of a team despite it's current 4th place standing.  They're 2-4 on the road with losses to CR, Canada, Mexico, and El Salvador + a late winner against Honduras.  On the other hand, T&T/Gerg Beerholder. Tie or lose and we need a result @ Costa Rica and/or help from an already qualified Canada @ Panama.  

I know y'all already know all of this.  Typing it out is cathartic.

I totally get it, I mean after 2017, how can you not be worried?

That said, the TM video does a great job playing it out for you. And what really is important is that if we take points from Panama or CR, they also drop points and that puts them in a world of hurt.

It also notes that a loss or draw to Mexico is basically the same thing, so we might as well go all out to win that. Sure the draw has the advantage of points for us, but the win would be huge for our confidence too.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

Weston is out.  Reyna is probably out.  Turner and Steffen are both up in the air.  We don't have a 9.  Grreggg is the man responsible for addressing these issues.

We could easily finish 5th.  

Don't worry- Pulisic has been world class on the wing so I'm sure Greg will stick him at CAM.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Corny opening minute and then Jake breaks down the Top 6 USMNT strikers along with stats and some such what not.

Spoiler Alert his final rankings are:

1. Pefok
2. Pepi
3. Ferreira
4. Zardes
t5. Dike
t5. Sargent

What he does is compare a bunch of striking stats, a bunch of teamwork stats (like assists, etc) and then an eye test. Adds that all up and comes out with a number, lower number is better.

My TL;DR: I agree with Pefok as a clear #1. Dike being tied with last seems way wrong, I would put him at worst 4th. I think the middle of 2-3-4 is pretty close, I might go Pepi, Dike, Ferreira.

Here are my problems with this

1. I don't get how he comes up with his final rankings. Running his numbers I got Sargent dead last a ways out with a final order of
1. Pefok, 2, Pepi, 3. Zardes, 4. Ferreira, 5. Dike, 6. Sargent
So his calculations are weird/flawed.

2. The ranking way of seeding has flaws as it doesn't account for degree of quality, so it can skew results

Spoiler

Say we have 2 players and 3 stats and it ranks like this:
xG: 1. Player A (.75), 2. Player B (.37)
xA: 1. Player B (.25), 2 Player A (.24)
Duels won: 1. Player B (.25), 2 Player A (.24)

In the 2nd two stats, those guys are basically statistically the same but in stat 1 Player A is clearly better. Yet this system will show Player B as the better player with a score of 4 vs a score of 5. While this doesn't affect the top end (Pefok is far and away better than everyone), without seeing all the numbers, the middle might be a lot closer than it seems.

3. He has too many "teamwork" stats. We are comparing strikers, scoring goals is their #1 job. Even if you want to throw those stats in, goal scoring should have a little heavier weight in this comparison. I think the teamwork stats are really changing the balance of the scoring stats in the middle section.

4. I don't like any inclusion of per shot stats (like goals per shot), because by most metrics you want strikers to shoot. And volume shooting/scoring is by many better than not taking the shot. And heck this punishes bad teams because they just don't get nearly as many chances as the better teams.

5. HIs teamwork stats really depend on style of play or even quality of team.

6. WHO THE FUCK HANGS TWO LONDON EPL TEAM SCARVES!?!?!?

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

6. WHO THE FUCK HANGS TWO LONDON EPL TEAM SCARVES!?!?!?

Spoiler Alert his final rankings are:

1. Pefok
2. Pepi
3. Ferreira
4. Zardes
t5. Dike
t5. Sargent

What he does is compare a bunch of striking stats, a bunch of teamwork stats (like assists, etc) and then an eye test. Adds that all up and comes out with a number, lower number is better.

My TL;DR: I agree with Pefok as a clear #1. Dike being tied with last seems way wrong, I would put him at worst 4th. I think the middle of 2-3-4 is pretty close, I might go Pepi, Dike, Ferreira.

Here are my problems with this

1. I don't get how he comes up with his final rankings. Running his numbers I got Sargent dead last a ways out with a final order of
1. Pefok, 2, Pepi, 3. Zardes, 4. Ferreira, 5. Dike, 6. Sargent
So his calculations are weird/flawed.

2. The ranking way of seeding has flaws as it doesn't account for degree of quality, so it can skew results

Hide contents

WHO THE FUCK HANGS TWO LONDON EPL TEAM SCARVES!?!?!?

6. ANSWER: An American guy who is living in London while completing his European coaching license certification.

Those scarves are like concert t-shirts, they are wearable souvenirs to show what he has attended in person.

🤷‍♂️