USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Whether it's Juve, staying at Chelsea, or elsewhere he needs to find a place where he's a starter and not a reserve. 

I don’t see how he can risk that at Chelsea. The only way is if a new Owner fires Tuchel and the new manager prefers Pulisic. Don’t really see that happening either.

I would rather see Christian go to a top half (4th - 10th) club in Spain, OTHER THAN ATHLETICO de MADRID. I like Simeone (for Argentine reasons), but I don’t want Christian anywhere near him (Simeone) or Morinho.

I would love to see him go to Real Sociodad and convince Jonathan Gómez to declare for the USMNT while developing a rapport with him in the field. 

The problem is that even though Christian isn’t worth €50M, Chelsea will probably want something close to that and if he goes to a big club (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich…), his kit sales & exposure in the USA in a World Cup year may actually be worth it. It probably wouldn’t be as lucrative for a mid-level club outside of the EPL.

But then you have to pay his wages. Don’t know what he is getting paid at Chelsea, but only “Super League” clubs could probably afford his wages, because outside of those clubs, he is likely to be the highest paid player on the team after having never been a consistent starter since turning pro. That would not go over well in the locker room even if a club was willing to pay him what he wants.

Where ever CP10 ends up, it needs to be somewhere that runs with true wingers. Ever since Tuchel came along, CP10's game changed for the worst because he never got reps as a winger (Tuchel doesn't use wingers). Now CP10 spends a ton of time in the middle of the pitch which is not his strong suit or out on the wing, crowded out by a wing back. That has translated over to the national team as well.

If we want the old CP10 back, I think he has to transfer this summer and then we cross our fingers that 3 months at a new club that runs true wingers is enough to get him back into his old habits before the WC.

CP10 - I don't see Chelsea letting him move. And I'm not sure he would want to. I think the fit is really good for him, and it's not like he's buried on the bench there. If he gets his form right, Tuchel will start him.

Either way - he will be fine.

Weston - would love to see him at Spurs. I don't see Juventus letting him go and if they do, not for a price that Spurs will pay. I would expect him to move to a bigger spending club.

I think their more likely option is getting Eriksen.

Those uniforms are fucking awful!

Bring on Adidas, Puma, Asics, Kaepa, K-Swiss... anything but that shit. Pure trash.

A guy below that link designed his own kits and they are so clearly superior that it's ridiculous. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

With Miles likely out now I just realized that Aaron Long is going to be starting in the WC for Gregg.

Miles 2022 has been a shadow of Miles 2021 (from the Gold Cup through November). I don’t know what happened over his winter break, but it seemed like he got lazy and gained weight from November to January and then never got in shape. Always seemed a step slow. 

Chris Richards was basically a guaranteed starter up until he got injured and he should be fine by the World Cup. 

Aaron Long, Walker Zimmerman*, and Chris Richards will be the 3-man rotation with Erik Palmer-Brown as the 4th CD, I just don’t know who the #5 will be. 

*Walker Zimmerman got beaten 2 to 3 times in the last 100 minutes of qualifying when the USMNT got beaten 3 times on set pieces. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Atlanta United, USMNT center back Miles Robinson suffers Achilles tendon injury

Atlanta United and US men's national team fans are holding their collective breath after center back Miles Robinson suffered a non-contact injury in Saturday's 4-1 win over Chicago Fire FC.

Robinson went down in the 14th minute and was stretchered off the Mercedes-Benz Stadium pitch, slamming the turf in notable frustration while pointing toward his left leg.

Head coach Gonzalo Pineda said postgame Robinson will undergo an MRI on his Achilles tendon.

"I think it's going to be a bad injury," Pineda said on the halftime broadcast. "I hope it's not, so let's see after the tests. But very unfortunate injury."

The 25-year-old played a key role in the USMNT's successful 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign, and has been ever-present in the Five Stripes' backline since the 2019 campaign.

ATLUTD have weathered a constant storm of injuries this year, with goalkeeper Brad Guzan (Achilles) and midfielder Ozzie Alonso (ACL) both out for the year. Star striker Josef Martinez (knee) remains out, too.

Robinson was captaining Atlanta, making the injury especially difficult to witness.

"Just heartbreaking," said right back Brooks Lennon. "In the first half, it really shook us as a team. It took us 15-20 minutes to kind of regroup. I don’t know if you could tell when he went down, we were losing possession of the ball. I think we were all kind of stunned. We’re praying for him, we wish him a speedy recovery. Just another blow to the team, which is not great for us."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-center-back-miles-robinson-exits-atlanta-united-match-with-leg-injury

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

After reading that M.A.S.H. list of injuries, it’s pretty obvious that artificial turf and adult soccer are not a good mix. 

If only there was some research out there so that professional teams could potentially know these things.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

So who's a good tandem w Zimmerman? Sands? Long? Fuckin GERGGG has alienated Brooks for an entire year, so it'll be interesting to see that dipshit come crawling back.

Dipshit Brooks played like ass for the USMNT early in the cycle and was rumored to have been leading the critical wing in the locker room that was perhaps best identified by Pulisic’s quote of “There was no Plan B.”

No coach needs cancer in the locker room, so he had that cancer removed. Whether Brooks was in fact leading the wing and/or planting the seeds for mutiny, it didn’t matter because he was a huge liability on the pitch and was thus exiled. (I believe rightfully so.)

On 5/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, dieucla98 said:

Our entire damn pool of strikers has been on a mental break for the past 15 years.

Jesús says “Shut ya’ fucking puto mouff!”

(But it is true that we have not had a flag-bearing #9 since Jozy Altidore started getting lazy. After Charlie Davies’ joyride incident, Jozy never really had to worry about his starting spot and we’ve been weak ever since.)

Edited by Napoleon

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

There are people here, there, and on the YouTubes calling for the Chicago Fire’s homegrown 17 year-old goalkeeper, Gaga Slonina, to get called into the USMNT’s June camp for Nations League and two friendlies.

I would rather see Stefan Frei and/or Ethan Horvath get looks over the high school kid. 

The excitement for Slonina has been due to Chicago giving up very few shots on goal to start the season, which has helped Slonina’s goals against stats, and Poland’s national team flirting with the 17 year-old boy. (NAMBLA)

Well, in Slonina’s last 3 starts, he has faced a total of 14 shots on goal.

Slonina has 5 saves and 9 goals allowed in those 3 games. He would be better off riding the pine for a while and focusing on the CONCACAF U-20 World Cup Qualifying Tournament that worrying about a USMNT call up.

• Like 1

Not sure which thread to post this in, but here's as good as any...

FIFA video game to disappear as EA Sports partnership ends

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/10/fifa-video-game-to-disappear-as-ea-sports-partnership-ends.html

Only real effects is the name of the game and EA won’t have the right to the World Cup content (they haven’t actually put out a World Cup game since 2010 though, just shitty DLC the last 2 world cups.)

Will the new game still have the national teams? Will there be a tournament in there called the Global Trophy?

Yes and yes.

So technically each FIFA game doesn’t have the “FIFA World Cup” they just have the international cup or whatever it’s called…. That gets built into the yearly in-game calendar for each mode.

But every WC cycle fifa would launch the world cup stand-alone game or World Cup DLC that would then license all the actual World Cup stuff.

This new news just means that EA soccer FC or whatever it’s gonna be called is not going to have that stuff for this winters WC in Qatar. But the game will have all of the same national teams that they license along with all the other teams from UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, etc along with the leagues and stadium deals.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Miles 2022 has been a shadow of Miles 2021 (from the Gold Cup through November). I don’t know what happened over his winter break, but it seemed like he got lazy and gained weight from November to January and then never got in shape. Always seemed a step slow. 
Chris Richards was basically a guaranteed starter up until he got injured and he should be fine by the World Cup. 
Aaron Long, Walker Zimmerman*, and Chris Richards will be the 3-man rotation with Erik Palmer-Brown as the 4th CD, I just don’t know who the #5 will be. 

*Walker Zimmerman got beaten 2 to 3 times in the last 100 minutes of qualifying when the USMNT got beaten 3 times on set pieces. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Tuchel would just have Pulisic play CB. Problem solved. 

Even Brooks would be a better CB than Puli.

Between our CDs and our GKs, I am not feeling too optimistic about this World Cup. 

Hopefully November 2022 resembles November 2021 more than May 2022. 

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Couldn't help but notice that you failed to list the manager among your concerns ...

At this point, I don’t think that he is a problem. I have thought that he was a problem many times during the qualifying process, but he is capable of learning and showed that along the way. 

I was listening to various podcasts last night: Que Golazo!, Max Bretos, and Yank Report (not a masturbation vlog) and along the way, someone mentioned that it looks like Gregg is looking to experiment some in the June window to add some variety to our setup. Trying out a 3-man back line was mentioned along with names of players who play in that setup. 

I’m cautiously optimistic that Gregg will add a formation wrinkle or two so that we can attack, as well as defend, in 2 or 3 ways, in case we need to make some adjustments in Qatar. 

Gregg has created a tight-knit bond among the pool of players, which at times can be more important than a tactical adjustment. Developing this was likely the biggest factor in keeping Brooks out of the player pool, even more so than his shitty play on the pitch. 

In short, I don’t think that Gregg’s lineup choices will be the reason that we don’t advance out of the group (other than starting Zach Steffen). It will more likely be injuries to our first choice pool and/or unexpected brain farts by the best available players. 

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Just play Football Manager instead.

I don’t play video games, but back in the mid ‘00s, I used to play soccer on the field that used to exist on the EA compound in Playa Vista out in LA.

379E94B5-6C5E-4854-8353-FCA573B6527A.thumb.jpeg.8ac9f870815ba8449498899eb3d47dbc.jpeg

It started with Chiat/Day ad agency people playing in a park (a buddy/ Texas Ex worked at Chiat), then an Chiat guy from England ran into an English friend who worked at EA and we were playing on a field about the size of an indoor  field, but outside. (7’ x 16’ goals)

Before long Warner Bros. employees and some post production house nearby wanted in and next thing you know, we had lines cut in the grass, uniforms, referees, and a Saturday morning league at the EA field.

It looks like EA has since moved to Austin. Crazy. 

So I played at EA and I have played both with & against EA, but I have never played and EA soccer video game. 🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1

AARON LONG injury update:

According to the first article I could find, Long left the game in the 11th minute with “calf tightness”.

Nothing torn… that we know of yet, but the tightness could be something that…

[MY GUESS]…could have led to something worse and/or could have added stress to the Achilles and Long’s experience with that led to his shutting it down. [/MY GUESS]

No word from this article on whether it was the leg with the Achilles injury from last year or the other one. It only mentions that scans will be done to determine what is going on. 

https://www.90min.com/posts/aaron-long-injury-scare-could-further-usmnt-woes/amp

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Assist and goal in the last two matches for CP10. Rounding into form at just the right time for the WC.

Oh right, WC isn't in the summer this year. Fucking Qatar. 

😁

We would be beyond fucked if the WC were in June/July this year.

Between injuries and poor form we have about 5 to 7 players that we can count on. You need about 16 to get out of your group.