USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Welp, the first part is done. Now this team needs to figure out how to play on the road.  We also really need to figure out how to get strikers some quality service, in both set pieces and run of play. The #9 spot is a big smoking hole under ggg.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TXSG8R said:

Welp, the first part is done. Now this team needs to figure out how to play on the road.  We also really need to figure out how to get strikers some quality service, in both set pieces and run of play. The #9 spot is a big smoking hole under ggg.

Gregg needs to figure this shit out. This has been the issue we've all bitched about, dude has done OK. to quote Clint - he got the job done. But he hasn't done more. He qualified us...

BARELY

He needs to step up now. He got us in. And now what? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

US is going to the World Cup. Thank fuck. 

(Zack Steffen may or may not be)

The after-game applauding of the fans was an awkward moment. 

Some of those U.S. guys who were applauding are absolutely not going to Qatar. 

NOT GOING: Morris, Pefok, Moore, Busio, 3rd Keeper, Sands, Roldan

UNSURE: Luca De La Torre (who looked dejected after the game, but who is absolutely in my 23), Erik Palmer-Brown, Bello

Such a strange thing to say “WE are going to the World Cup!”, when you likely won’t be. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Davies said that Steffen is Gerg's #1. Is that a fact? Feel like it's Turner.

It's really hard to say 8 months out. Stefans needs more consistent time to play, as does Turner. Or even Horvath.

Just look at this:

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

UNSURE: Luca De La Torre (who looked dejected after the game, but who is absolutely in my 23), Erik Palmer-Brown, Bello

Such a strange thing to say “WE are going to the World Cup!”, when you likely won’t be. 

Pefok - Why? Dude is killing it right now for his pro team. He had 1 bad miss.

Busio - Why? Gergg doesn't give him the time to show what he can do.

DLT, etc ...

There is a long time now. This isn't a normal year. We have a long ... LONG time. 

Let's really see where these player go as this season and next season goes on.  Any or ALL of these guys can show something for their clubs, what we know how might be wrong in 8 months.

Well guys tonight has been ... interesting 

tumblr_ms2ekdStyr1sezoa7o1_500.gif

Hey over this time - we've won, we've beaten Mexico

And again

and again

and ... we tied.

And we made the World Cup!

So now we have some time to rest and hate each other (fuck all you EPL fans).

After Couva and 2017, I'm glad this isn't THAT again. We made it. Next up Qatar.

36 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Yeah. Guess we can start figuring the 23 that goes. Let's keep in mind 8 months is a long time. Maybe start with the 100% no question about it - if they aren't on the plane I'm driving to Gerg's parent's house and taking a shit on their doorstep - group (going to exclude keepers from this so let's just count to 20):

Pulisic, McKennie, Dest, Aaronson, Weah, Adams, Jedi, Reyna

The might as well pencil them in group:

Pepi, Zimmerman, Musah, Miles

Most likely they're going

Yedlin, LDLT, Arriola, Acosta

That's 16. What seems fairly open is the striker and CB depth. Wing is already full and there's actually one too many up there (although we had 5 this window)- although maybe things get shifted around a bit. You could knock Arriola off but I just don't see that happening with Greg in charge and stories about how much of a locker room guy he is. 

Feel free to move that around for me if I got anything wrong and help me figure the last four. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

I read that there is a vote to expand the 23 to 26 coming up this week. With our wide distribution of talent below the top tier this wouldn't be a bad development.

Sounds like Lletget better pack his bags. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

YOU PUT GOGGLES ON!?!?

Every-other-sentence of hers, I lover a little more. 

Every culture question she asks, the number of people I would kill to be with her jumps.

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Who is making the new USMNT World Cup thread? Feels like we need a new thread to commemorate this occasion. Only 7 games until Qatar and we have the draw on Friday 

No need to start a new thread with all 4 games in June, 2 games in September, and maybe a game right before the World Cup in November.

After the draw, we should start a World Cup 2022 thread and then when November arrives, USMNT WORLD CUP 2022 thread with the match schedule and the roster. It would be good to have the roster in the first or second post of the USMNT WC thread so that it can be checked easily for when we need to complain about starting lineups and substitution mistakes. 

15 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This was the GGGGGGGGGGGGG experience in a nutshell.  Should be excited but the team looked like shit and inspires no confidence.  SMH 

I didn't think we looked that bad. Especially up front. Back 4 had a few mistakes and Steffen gets a WTF match rating from me. It was a weird game situationally in a tough environment. We kicked ourselves in the dick a couple of times and CR was fairly lucky to not concede. 

I still think this is a different team with McKennie on the pitch. Which isn't ideal but it's sort of our reality over the past two windows. 

(Regardless - the keeper shit needs to be sorted out. If it's Steffen - he needs to get on the fucking pitch for club. If it's Turner we need to figure it the fuck out how to play with him out of the back. If it's Horvath - we might be fucked because not sure there's enough time for him to turn into the starter.)

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Steffen gets a 3.

He was responsible for both of those goals. Especially the second one for not grabbing that ball. He has shown to be pretty bad these past two games.

I also don't like trying to shift the blame to guys like Zimmerman and Miles who have played their fucking asses off at a crucial position that we lack depth at this entire qualification. There are goals where the defense fucks up and gives up an open look or commits a penalty or what not. Then there are goals where maybe a mistake is made but it only results in a very savable shot. Then there are goals where the keeper does something that keeps the ball in play in front of an open net. The latter two are mostly the responsibility of the keeper. Your job is to clean up the mistakes that your team makes in front of you. Steffen didn't do that and they scored twice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Zimmerman wasn’t great, but he has been great in 12/13 games.  Can’t think of anyone else with that level outside Adams.  I’ve been team Steffen, but I’m 100% that it’s an open position and ZS has no right to the starting spot. 

To be fair - a little easier to be consistently solid at the back imo. Less variance typically than you see somewhere like winger or striker (not that we have a striker that's started and been worth a shit in more than 3 or 4 games).