Abbott sues Biden over vaccine mandate, tells Texas National Guard that Biden is not their C-in-C.

atomheartbevo

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/global/images/Abbott v Biden - Complaint.pdf

Abbott, having never served, and obviously not knowing any rank-and-file types, is really fucking over the Texas National Guard in multiple ways, whether it's calling them up for border bullshit, or playing games like this, because all of this is about Abbott sailing through his primary in a few months.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/01/04/he-not-your-commander-chief-texas-governor-promises-guardsmen-hell-fight-biden-over-vaccine-mandate.html

"Unless President Biden federalizes the Texas National Guard in accordance with Title 10 of the U.S. Code, he is not your commander-in-chief under our federal or state Constitutions," Abbott said in a letter for Maj. Gen. Tracy Norris, the adjutant general of the Texas National Guard. "And as long as I am your commander-in-chief, I will not tolerate efforts to compel receipt of a COVID-19 vaccine."

Abbott's letter did not take issue with the dozen-plus other vaccines Guardsmen – and all other service members – are ordered to receive, including vaccinations against hepatitis and smallpox and annual flu shots. He does concede Biden has the authority to require vaccines for Guardsmen on federal orders.

"I cannot guarantee that the judiciary will grant the relief you deserve," Abbott added. "And if President Biden lawfully calls you into the actual service of the United States, then he could order you to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in his newfound role as your commander-in-chief."

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/04/texas-national-guard-vaccine-mandate/

In the state’s latest push against federal vaccine mandates, Gov. Greg Abbott is suing the Biden administration for requiring Texas Army National Guard members to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

The suit, filed Tuesday in the Eastern District of Texas, is the latest in what has been a slew of litigation against federal vaccine mandates that Texas has either brought forth or taken part in during the pandemic. The legal battles include litigation over vaccine mandates for large businesses, health care workers and federal contractors.

In a letter issued to Maj. Gen. Tracy R. Norris, the adjutant general of the Texas National Guard, Abbott claimed authority to exempt Texas guard members from receiving the vaccine.

“And as long as I am your commander-in-chief, I will not tolerate efforts to compel receipt of a COVID-19 vaccine,” Abbott wrote. “To the extent the [Department of Defense] vaccine mandate conflicts with the order I have given, my order controls.”

According to the Department of Defense, each state’s National Guard members are under the command of their respective governors, but they can be “federalized” during times of federal emergency, a process that Abbott said has not taken place.

Last year, U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III issued a memo calling for mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 for members of the armed forces, including the National Guard. Under the mandate, Air National Guard members had until the end of 2021 to receive the vaccine, while Army troops have until June, according to the Department of Defense. Those who refuse to get vaccinated could get their pay or training suspended and could be discharged if they continue to refuse.

Currently, about 90% of Texas Air National Guard are fully vaccinated, with 10% “going through the exemption process,” the Texas Military Department said. The department said on Tuesday it could not provide vaccination numbers for the Texas Army National Guard ahead of its vaccine deadline.

46 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Abbott’s already got the Trump base ready to vote for him. Becoming more right wing is not likely to enlarge the pool of crazies who will support him.

That pool is growing daily and Huffines is fighting Abbott tooth and nail to scoop them up.

We're watching the quickening of idiocy in real time.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That pool is growing daily and Huffines is fighting Abbott tooth and nail to scoop them up.

We're watching the quickening of idiocy in real time.

I don’t think it’s growing. It’s the same bunch of crazies bouncing back and forth between Abbott and Napoleon.

• Hook 'Em 2

So didn't Stitts from Oklahoma do this and the judge told him to fuck off?  Seems like this is a waste of taxpayer dollars.  Texas has really fallen.  The crazies are in charge.  Good luck.

Abbott is a former AG and judge. He knows this lawsuit will go nowhere. It’s purely theater for the GOP base. Fiscal responsibility!
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So didn't Stitts from Oklahoma do this and the judge told him to fuck off?  Seems like this is a waste of taxpayer dollars.  Texas has really fallen.  The crazies are in charge.  Good luck.

Yes, an old conservative Bush appointee judge takes governor Schitt to task for being a fucking idiot and not understanding military readiness requirements dating back to General Washington's command in the Revolutionary War. Mentions multiple times that the guard is already required to have at least 9 vaccines and the governors c-team legal eagles never addressed what makes this one different. At the end of his opinion, which was issued only a few days before the vaccination deadline for the army guard, he begs the feds to give servicemen extra time to comply because the unvaccinated soldiers "did not have the benefit of well-informed leadership at the highest level of the Oklahoma Guard." He uses this line after referring to the Governor as the Commander in Chief when not called to federal duty (i.e., the Governor is the highest level of leadership and is a fucking idiot). I just want this simulation to fucking end already.

Edit: The guv's crack legal team also cited the wrong mandate in the state's original petition and tried to fix it a day before this opinion was issued. A large portion of this opinion is trying to sort that out, with several direct digs at the governor, his lacky of an AG, and their legal team for being, yet again, complete fucking morons.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.okwd.116005/gov.uscourts.okwd.116005.41.0.pdf

Edited by 'stache
  • Rage+1 2

55 minutes ago, RPM said:

Texas State Guard or Texas Army National Guard. One is actually soldiers, the other is cosplay.

He's an aggy. I'm gonna guess the cosplay one. Also, he only has ever referred to it as "Texas Guard", so definitely cosplay. Like "Texas Aggies".

Edited by Deej

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I keep looking up, but I don’t see a meteor yet. 

We will not be so blessed as to have an instantaneous ending to this.  Nope.  It's going to be long, drawn-out, and be filled with some pretty horrific scenes and suffering.  

Because that's what we want.  And, I've come to conclude, that's what we deserve.  We are committing slow and gruesome suicide, and it's going to look exactly like you'd expect it to.