2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Bahl on to pitch.  Interesting. 

You gotta wonder, if she wasn't healthy enough to start this game, why are they pitching her now? She said she felt a "pop" in her forearm, and that is not something to mess with on a kid with 3 more years of eligibility.

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

You gotta wonder, if she wasn't healthy enough to start this game, why are they pitching her now? She said she felt a "pop" in her forearm, and that is not something to mess with on a kid with 3 more years of eligibility.

She's also still blatantly illegal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

WTF....Grace Lyons hits a HR, the usher brings the ball to her family and they immediately throw the Horns down. 

This is so bizarre to me.  They dominate us (and everyone else) in softball, and football, which they (and us) care more about. If I were them, I wouldn't give two shits about us.  

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This is so bizarre to me.  They dominate us (and everyone else) in softball, and football, which they (and us) care more about. If I were them, I wouldn't give two shits about us.  

It’s their school hand signal. I mean that literally. It’s been that way for decades. They’re the ones that started the whole thing. I used to get kids throwing Horns down at me in an Oklahoma high school back in the 80s because they knew I was a rabid Texas fan. It’s not new. 

They buy all kinds of gear licensed by Texas with the horns down or the Longhorn symbol upside down. They’ll throw the Horns down when they make great play even when Texas isn’t involved  

I get that people are perplexed by it, but it’s ancient fucking history at this point. Every one else doing it is the new thing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

5-3 UCLA, top 7

Azevedo has been good in relief - 2 innings, 0 hits, 2 walk, 3 K on 37 pitches.  So has Bahl - 4 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 3 K

I am guessing if UCLA can hold on, it will be Faraimo and Trautwine in game 2. Bahl would be unavailable, based on Patty saying she was on a hard pitch count

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I am guessing if UCLA can hold on, it will be Faraimo and Trautwine in game 2. Bahl would be unavailable, based on Patty saying she was on a hard pitch count

Do you start Azevedo?  Faraimo throws hard, which is a recipe to get hit hard by Gooner Ball. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Do you start Azevedo?  Faraimo throws hard, which is a recipe to get hit hard by Gooner Ball. 

I think they start Faraimo, get to the 3rd and then go to Azevedo. You can always bring Faraimo back in if needed to close things out. It will interesting to see what OU does if UCLA can get a couple early off Trautwine.

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Bahl isn't the same pitcher she was prior to the injury. 

OU will have to ride Trautwein to a championship. 

And their offense. You might hold them to 2 or 3 once, but it's hard to do that twice. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And their offense. You might hold them to 2 or 3 once, but it's hard to do that twice. 

This is the truth. No better team in the country at making adjustments. Their offense will come out firing next game. The good part, is that all the pressure will be on the Sooners from the next game until the tournament is over. Lets see how they respond.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't necessarily love the back to back format for the if-necessary games.  Feels like the stakes are so high (go the champ series or go home), they could play the other semi-final in between and then do the if-necessary games to give the teams a chance to reset.  For instance:

11am - Semifinal 1
2 - Semifinal 2

6pm - Semifinal 1 if-necessary
9pm - Semifinal 2 if-necessary (or move this one to 6 if Semifinal 1 doesn't need another game) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Almost every tournament these girls have ever played in have back to back games when in the losers bracket. The girls will grab a quick sandwich and some water and get right back to it. When you take a 1 game break, you really don't get much more rest, because everyone has to go back through warm ups and cage time.

36 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I suppose it's pretty hard to position your fingers in the shape of a dirt burglar. 

I have wondered, but never felt like asking, why teams like ou or others don’t feel like doing the upside down hand sign for the team they are playing, since teams like tcu, bu, aggy, and tech each have one. 

I mean I know the answer, I m just curious how a fan of ou or aggy would explain it. 

so now the final 4 is ou and the 3 teams that beat ou once. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Almost every tournament these girls have ever played in have back to back games when in the losers bracket. The girls will grab a quick sandwich and some water and get right back to it. When you take a 1 game break, you really don't get much more rest, because everyone has to go back through warm ups and cage time.

And I know TV won't go for it, because if the 2-0 teams won both the afternoon games, they'd have no nighttime programming.  They are at least guaranteed the 6pm semifinal game. 

Though they can just throw baseball onto ESPN/ESPN2 to cover for it. 

Edited by Js1

man, i was just going through ou's softball schedule.  of course their record of 56-2 going into today's game against ucla is bonkers but the other thing that grabbed me was that 39 of the 58 games were called in 5 innings on run rule.  including two regional games, one super regional, and one wcws game.  that is just loony.

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

man, i was just going through ou's softball schedule.  of course their record of 56-2 going into today's game against ucla is bonkers but the other thing that grabbed me was that 39 of the 58 games were called in 5 innings on run rule.  including two regional games, one super regional, and one wcws game.  that is just loony.

Yeah, it’s actually somewhat of an accomplishment they we’ve only been run ruled once in 4 games against them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, it’s actually somewhat of an accomplishment they we’ve only been run ruled once in 4 games against them. 

It's sadly a true statement.  3 run loss, run ruled, 2 run win, 6 run loss.  That's quite an accomplishment when OU has seen your pitching 4 times.