CFB Catch All Thread -- 2022

LTtxfan

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Forget Hatfields-McCoys, Jimbo-Nick; Kentucky's Mark Stoops-John Calipari feud remains centerstage sports war of words

Calipari-Stoops feud is so bad, UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart publicly weighed in

JOHN BRICE  6 HOURS AGO

Edited by LTtxfan

Deion Sanders, Jackson State adding former NFL head coach to Tigers' coaching staff

JOHN BRICE                15 HOURS AGO

Sanders has announced former Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has joined the JSU staff

AASD5Bb.img?w=612&h=408&m=6&x=419&y=221&

The video released on YouTube featured a snippet of Mike Zimmer addressing Jackson State's football team inside the Tigers' new team room, with a hint from coach Deion Sanders that Zimmer could be more than just a guest speaker.

By Tuesday evening, JSU's attention-grabbing, second-year head coach had fully revealed that Zimmer was coming aboard the coaching staff of the reigning Southwestern Athletic Conference champions.

"We just got a new HIGHLY EXPERIENCE(D) ANALYST to help propel (Jackson State football) to the Next Level," Sanders shared on his Instagram page. "Former HC of the (Vikings), my former DB Coach of the (Dallas Cowboys) and Dear Friend Mike Zimmer.

"Glad I don't have to pay u because I can't afford u. Let's Go Baby!"

In a video shared by Thee Pregame Show, Zimmer gushed about Sanders's impact in such a short period atop the Tigers' program.

JSU is coming off an record-setting 11-win season a year ago and has been tabbed a consensus top-25 team in the Football Championship Subdivision rankings for 2022.

"It's great to see how good he’s doing," Zimmer shared on video. "I knew he would be successful the way he can recruit, his knowledge of the game. 

"The thing that impresses me is how he wants to educate his players, not just with football but with life."

Zimmer then made a declaration that should turns heads throughout college football. 

"I think the sky is the limit," Zimmer said. "If some people would donate to him and this football program, there would be no stopping him. 

"He would be competing with the Georgias and Alabamas and everybody around the country."

Zimmer was an assistant who won a Super Bowl title in SB XXX and also previously was named the NFL's Assistant Coach of the Year. He served eight years as the Vikings head coach before he was dismissed last season. 

The Tigers, picked to repeat as SWAC champions, open their 2022 slate Sept. 4 against Florida A&M in the Orange Blossom Classic in Miami, a game that will be nationally televised on ESPN.  

Video: UCF holds a coaching staff dance-off

Guz Malzahn's coaching staff dance off plan might have backfired on him...

DOUG SAMUELS              AUG 16, 2022

The weeks of fall camp become a grind, so finding ways to break up the monotony and give a morale boost can prove to be very valuable for programs.

At UCF, Gus Malzahn decided to hold a coaches dance off recently, and it did not disappoint.

Some of the coaches had some serious swagger, and their moves got players on their feet to participate as well.

Hold on. Offensive line coach Herb Hand did what?

...and hang in there at the end for what co-defensive coordinator David Gibbs comes up with after admitting to Googling "Old Man Dance Moves" for some ideas.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I will watch later, but if this is another "Bruins got potential" preseason comment, it is one I've heard annually for, oh, 25 years.  Meanwhile Chip Kelly is recruiting at a Montana St level.  We will never achieve meaningful success with him driving the bus. 

NCAA Tweaks Rules for Targeting, Fake Injuries Ahead of 2022 CFB Season

SCOTT POLACEK      AUGUST 18, 2022

The NCAA is instituting a number of rule changes for the upcoming college football season, including some that deal with targeting, the faking of injuries to stop the clock and slow no-huddle offenses

The NCAA is instituting a number of rule changes for the upcoming college football season, including some that deal with targeting, the faking of injuries to stop the clock and slow no-huddle offenses.

The Associated Press shared the changes:

• Players ejected in the second halves of games for targeting might not be suspended for the first half of the next game, depending on the results of an appeal.
  • Schools and conferences can report the potential faking of injuries to the national coordinator of officials, which could lead to penalties for the school involved.
  • Only linemen and stationary backs inside the tackle box can block below the waist.
  • Ball-carriers who simulate a feet-first slide, like then-Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett famously did in the ACC Championship Game, will be ruled down at the spot.
  • Defensive holding is an automatic first down in addition to the 10-yard penalty.
  • Replay officials can adjust the clock if a ruling is overturned with less than two minutes remaining in the game or first half.
  • Illegal touching by an ineligible player is a loss of down in addition to the five-yard penalty.

Perhaps the most notable change is the targeting one, as few things in college football draw more scrutiny and ire from fans, coaches and even broadcasters than the flag that leads to a 15-yard penalty and the automatic ejection of the infringing player.

There may not be a single penalty that can more drastically alter the outcome of a game, as all it takes is one star player to be ejected for it in the early going to leave a team fighting an uphill battle.

While this rule change won't impact the current game when there is a targeting penalty, the ability of conference offices to request reviews from the national coordinator of officials that could lead to the removal of the suspension in the first half of the next contest would limit the punitive aspect of it to just one game instead of multiple contests.

In the past, players who were ejected for targeting in the second half were forced to sit out the first half of the upcoming game.

There will still be plenty of scrutiny as officials and the NCAA at large attempt to balance efforts to minimize head injuries with the reality that not all targeting penalties are created equal.

Perhaps there may one day be something similar to a yellow- and red-card system in soccer where less egregious targeting penalties receive a warning instead of an automatic ejection and the more severe ones lead to immediate disqualification, but for now the changes are limited to the ability to review second-half calls, with an eye on the upcoming contest.

The 2022 college football season begins Aug. 27.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

didn't realize penix was at washington now.  he was pretty good at indiana back in the 2020 season.

Yes. Deboer was the IU OC for his breakout year in 2019 so the thought is reuniting will help the UW offense hit the ground running a bit. Penix hasn’t made it through a full season so the rest of the room better be ready. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, DukDukGru said:

This was my first question, followed closely by "When did he ever say anything of value on that show?"  Caveat: I wasn't a regular viewer.

He was excellent on that show and if you watched it then you’d know that. But you admit you didn’t watch it and are questioning the decision to bring him back.

Sharp. 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

He was excellent on that show and if you watched it then you’d know that. But you admit you didn’t watch it and are questioning the decision to bring him back.

Sharp. 

Words have meaning.  "Not a regular viewer" does not mean "Never viewed."  My implied purpose for that statement [Not a regular viewer]  was that in my limited experience with the show, he never said anything so remarkable that made me want to return regularly to hear more. 

You are obviously more invested than I.  Enjoy the show.