2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

On 10/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, slorch said:

2 travel ain't shit.

signed.

basically anyone north and west of and including Abilene.

I think the LBJ coach wasn't merely saying the long travel was hard on them, but rather that they are from a community that doesn't have much means and that makes long travel difficult. 

Last week of the regular season, so most of these games are for district titles:

EAST TEXAS

Chapel Hill @ Kilgore  TONIGHT #8 @ #7 in 4AD1  Both of these teams lost their first two games of the season (Kilgore to Carthage and Gilmer and CH to Gilmer and Van), but both have gotten it rolling and have won 7 in a row, and only one opponent has gotten within 20 points of either.  Kilgore won this game 41-20 last season, only to have CH knock them off in OT in the playoffs.  Kilgore had a bye last week, and Chapel Hill is a soph-led team that may have its best football ahead, and those are the kind of things that make the difference in matchups this close.  

Silsbee @ Jasper  Undefeated Silsbee seems to have at least temporarily taken over the mantle of best team in the Golden Triangle area from WOS.  As usual, they have speed out the wazoo and have rung up a 441-124 cumulative scoreboard this year.  At 7-2, Jasper is a complete enigma, as their losses were to 3A teams, Newton and Franklin.  They also don’t score that much, so if they’re going to win this, they’ll have to keep the game from getting crazy, but I don’t see how they do that.

Pottsboro @ Mount Vernon  TONIGHT Pottsboro never seems to have trouble in the regular season, but always loses before expected in the playoffs, and this season is shaping up similarly.  The Cards’ only loss was to Whitesboro in week 4.  Satan Incarnate no longer coaches MV, but the Tigers are still one of the highest-scoring teams in the state, with 462 in 9 games; their only loss was a 28-14 shocker at the hands of Winnsboro.  Pottsboro is the ranked team here, but I almost expect MV to pull it off.

Corrigan-Camden @ Centerville  TONIGHT Fun little 2A game here just off I-35 halfway between Dallas and Houston.  C-C is undefeated, having weathered a couple of close wins over 3A opponents and has obliterated their district foes by 208-0 in 4 games.  Centerville is only 7-2, but is ranked #8, with their losses coming in low-scoring games to powerhouse Mart and Crawford.  They’ve also found little pushback from district mates, though by “only” 201-28.  This looks like the kind of matchup where they could play 100 times and each team would win 50.  Flip a coin or take the home team.

SAN ANTONIO

Brandeis-Reagan  Brandeis’ only blemish was a 42-6 loss to Brennan.  No shame in that loss, and they’ve rebounded but have struggled to put away some inferior opponents in the past month.  Reagan lost their first two games to SV and Round Rock, but has completely blitzed everyone since, including the same teams Brandeis has struggled with.  The resumes point to Reagan in this one, though weird stuff always seems to happen in this district.

NB Canyon @ Wagner  TONIGHT This is for 2nd in the district behind SV.  NBC’s only loss was 35-0 to SV;  Wagner played SV closer at 21-13, but has also lost non-district games to Dripping and Liberty Hill. This matchup looks to be about as close as they get, but I like NBC’s coach and versatile offense to pull them through.

COASTAL BEND  

Flour Bluff @ G-P  Fun one in the CC area!  Both teams struggled against top competition in non-district with both teams losing to Boerne and Calallen (by wildly different margins), and both have since laid waste to the 4 RGV teams in their district, 222-15 for G-P and 205-40 for FB.  G-P won this game last season 37-27, only to fall in the playoffs to FB in a 47-44 barnburner.  G-P has an excellent coach in Brent Davis who will use the memory of that loss to their advantage tomorrow.

Sinton @ Ingleside  Sinton is rebuilding this season apparently.  The Pirates have losses to Beeville, LaVernia, and Edna.   Ingleside’s only loss was in OT to R-F.  Both have racked up tons of points against terrible district competition, so nothing to learn about them there.  The Mustangs haven’t beaten Sinton since 2018, but if they’re going to break that streak, this is the year, and they’re at home.  

Falfurrias @ San Diego  Not the two teams you’d expect to see playing big games in November, but they’re in a 4-way tie for the district lead with Rio Hondo and Lyford, who also play each other Friday.  I know nothing about either team, but I do know that San Diego is historically one of the most corrupt places in the state, and the Vaqueros are playing at home, so a little help from the home refs might be the difference.  Maybe a Parr wears the white hat Friday?

CENTRAL TEXAS

Stephenville @ Waco La Vega  TONIGHT The Yellowjackets were cruising along ranked #1 with a 23-game winning streak when China Spring got them two weeks ago.  Then Alvarado edged them last week and things look crazy.  They have legit issues with the D, having allowed an absurd 357 points, including games of 61, 49, 42 twice, and 50, with the last one being the only loss of that bunch.  At 5-4 LV is going through rebuilding pains, especially offensively where they are extremely young and have scored only 264 this season.  They’ll score on the S’Ville D, but the Yellowjackets just have too many weapons for them.

Cuero @ LaGrange  TONIGHT The Gobbler scoreboard shows 504-116 on the season, and their only loss (to Calallen) is the only game where they’ve scored under 43 points.  LaGrange is only 5-4, but they have some serious talent, though not enough to hang with Cuero for 4 quarters.

AUSTIN

Bowie @ Lake Travis  Bowie’s only two losses were to Dripping and Westlake, though neither game was competitive.  LT also lost to those two by much closer margins, as well as Steele and Martin, so they need this win to have a winning record.  This game means nothing for playoffs or seeding, but Bowie hasn’t beaten LT in forever and this might be their best chance.  I still like LT in this one.  

Canyon Lake @ Lampassas  CL is undefeated in this district, while Lamp needs a win and some help to grab a title.  CL runs a grind-it-out Slot-T, and as you might guess, if they fall behind, they look lost trying to pass and play catch-up.  I like the Badgers in this because they run a more balanced offense that will pressure CL through the air.  I also like them because they play on a grass field that doesn’t have a track around it, like God meant HS football to be played.

Cedar Park @ Georgetown  Rumors of CP’s demise were exaggerated, as they have rebounded from a 1-5 start against a killer schedule with three wins in a row.  Both trail the two BCS schools in district, but could end up on top if everything falls just right.  CP has a pretty anemic offense with only 174 points all season, so they’ll have to keep the score down to have a chance to win.  GT’s offense is too good to allow that to happen.

HOUSTON

Fulshear @ Richmond Foster   TONIGHT Great matchup here to decide one of the best districts in the state.  Fulshear is 8-1, with their only loss a 44-40 setback against Angleton.  Their offense has rung up huge numbers with 429 points scored, despite an uncharacteristic 9-7 slugfest win over Manvel last week.  7-2 Foster’s D has been phenomenal, allowing only 82 points all season.  I wouldn’t bet against a D like that.

Summer Creek @ Atascocita   It’s interesting to watch the hierarchy in the Houston area HSFB.  North Shore and Katy are clearly 1-2, and then there’s a mosh pit below them that includes these two teams.  6-3 SC’s losses are to Klein Cain and Collins and NS by only 34-27.  They also got a big win last week over fellow mosh pit member King by 24-21.  ‘Cita has one of the best-looking teams in TxHSFB, as their lines are freaking mammoth on both sides of the ball and they even have good size in the defensive secondary.  They gave NS all they could handle last week in a 16-13 heartbreaker.  They’ve lost to NS and Katy by a total of 10 points, so they’re looking like the cream of that mosh pit, and they should handle SC.

DFW

Red Oak @ Midlothian  #10 @ #6 in 5AD1… These two are a combined 17-1, with the only blemish being RO’s 48-47 OT loss to Lake Belton.  Midlothian beat LB 39-37 two weeks ago, so this looks to be a very even matchup.  RO does have the more explosive offense, having scored 431 this season, including 232 in the last 4 weeks.  Real even matchup here, and you have to wonder if the bad weather predicted will slow down RO’s passing offense just enough to make a difference.  

Midlothian Heritage @ Everman  TONIGHT When did the town of Midlothian get so good at football?  The real crime is that 5AD1 MHS doesn’t play 5AD2 MHHS this season – what’s up with that?  Two 8-1 teams in this one whose only losses were tight games to Stephenville.  MH looks like they have a slightly better defense and a FCS recruit at QB.  

LD Bell @ Trinity  TONIGHT Purely nostalgia here, as this was the best rivalry in DFW when I was growing up, but… Bell hasn’t made the playoffs since 2013, and Trinity started the season 0-5 (but has rebounded to 3-6).  Winner gets a playoff berth, even though Trinity has a losing record and Bell is only 6-3 after a 5-0 start. I’m a big believer in inertia, so I’ll take the Trojans in this one.  And I miss @Soul Glo.

Lovejoy @ Melissa  TONIGHT  Lovejoy’s offense is a freaking pinball game with 4 future college players at WR alone.  Kyle Parker (LSU commit) had 23 catches for 341 yards in one game this season @ Argyle.  The team has scored 483 points, and only once has been held under 49.  Melissa’s not too shabby either, losing only to #1-ranked teams Argyle and China Spring; they’ve also scored at least 42 in every other game.  This will be a 63-59 last-team-with-the-ball-wins type of game.  

SOUTH TEXAS

Vela @ Rowe  TONIGHT Outside of Vela’s one slip-up against PSJAN, they’ve destroyed everyone, with their closest win at 50-14.  Might as well expect that to continue against a Nikki Rowe D that’s fairly porous and recently got bombed in a 63-14 loss to PSJAN.  A loss could knock Rowe out of the playoffs, though if that happens, the blame will go more squarely on their 40-21 loss last week to McAllen.  

WEST TEXAS

Cisco @ Hawley  #8 @ #2 in 2AD1  Game of the year in 2A?  In West Texas?  Hawley has quickly become one of the most impressive programs in the state, maybe the best in West Texas.  The Bears have allowed only 53 points this season against a loaded schedule.  As usual, Cisco is very good again, with their only loss by 3 to 3A Breckenridge.  Hawley beat Cisco in a 17-14 classic last season in the Region 1 championship game and I’d expect the same kind of game Friday.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Falfurrias @ San Diego  Not the two teams you’d expect to see playing big games in November, but they’re in a 4-way tie for the district lead with Rio Hondo and Lyford, who also play each other Friday.  I know nothing about either team, but I do know that San Diego is historically one of the most corrupt places in the state, and the Vaqueros are playing at home, so a little help from the home refs might be the difference.  Maybe a Parr wears the white hat Friday?

San Diego has actually been decent the last few years and went three rounds deep which included an upset of Llano.     They have some nice facilities for such a poor community and if you drive around you can tell it was a happening place maybe 90  years ago or so.    The ISD gets a generous chunk of oil/gas royalty tax money.    

• Hook 'Em 2

In the valley:

Rio Hondo @ Lyford for a share of the district title that San Diego and Falfurrias are playing for.  Look for Lyford to knock off Rio Hondo at home. Bulldogs HC Gerry Jauregui has done a good job for taking over from Israel Gonzalez, who left for Harlingen South in 2021— both of them are from the Harlingen High/Manny Gomez football tree. More specifically, both are from Primera, a semi-rural, middle and working class bedroom community of Harlingen that produces more than their fair share of the hard-nosed, undersized defenders that typically suit up for the Cardinals. 

Harlingen @ Los Fresnos in a game between two playoff teams. LF has given the Cards some fits since moving up to 6a and freshman QB Robert Pineda is a future star— even in the valley freshman varsity starters are rare as hens teeth.  Harlingen has too many horses on offense here, but if they’re looking ahead to the playoffs and lose focus the game could be interesting. Still, look for HHS to move to 10-0 and for the Falcons to make a statement about who they’ll be next year. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

San Diego has actually been decent the last few years and went three rounds deep which included an upset of Llano.     They have some nice facilities for such a poor community and if you drive around you can tell it was a happening place maybe 90  years ago or so.    The ISD gets a generous chunk of oil/gas royalty tax money.    

I remember the Llano game and I expressed shock over it on here.  You mentioned something about San Diego and LBJ and I got interested and ordered and read the book The Dukes of Duval County, partly just to show my wife that I can read books that aren't about baseball.  So thanks for that.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I remember the Llano game and I expressed shock over it on here.  You mentioned something about San Diego and LBJ and I got interested and ordered and read the book The Dukes of Duval County, partly just to show my wife that I can read books that aren't about baseball.  So thanks for that.  

I haven’t read that one, but I’m going to put it on my list.   I read the one in the link.   It was written by the Federal Prosecutor, so it’s big on the criminal aspects of the machine and maybe not so much on the family history and personal stories from people they “helped” or screwed.    

https://www.amazon.com/Fall-Duke-Duval-Prosecutors-Journal/dp/157168333X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QVX06QUX594N&keywords=duke+of+duval+book&qid=1667522486&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjE0IiwicXNhIjoiMS4zNSIsInFzcCI6IjEuNDkifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=Dukes+of+duval%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Last week of the regular season, so most of these games are for district titles:

EAST TEXAS

Chapel Hill @ Kilgore  TONIGHT #8 @ #7 in 4AD1  Both of these teams lost their first two games of the season (Kilgore to Carthage and Gilmer and CH to Gilmer and Van), but both have gotten it rolling and have won 7 in a row, and only one opponent has gotten within 20 points of either.  Kilgore won this game 41-20 last season, only to have CH knock them off in OT in the playoffs.  Kilgore had a bye last week, and Chapel Hill is a soph-led team that may have its best football ahead, and those are the kind of things that make the difference in matchups this close.  

Silsbee @ Jasper  Undefeated Silsbee seems to have at least temporarily taken over the mantle of best team in the Golden Triangle area from WOS.  As usual, they have speed out the wazoo and have rung up a 441-124 cumulative scoreboard this year.  At 7-2, Jasper is a complete enigma, as their losses were to 3A teams, Newton and Franklin.  They also don’t score that much, so if they’re going to win this, they’ll have to keep the game from getting crazy, but I don’t see how they do that.

Pottsboro @ Mount Vernon  TONIGHT Pottsboro never seems to have trouble in the regular season, but always loses before expected in the playoffs, and this season is shaping up similarly.  The Cards’ only loss was to Whitesboro in week 4.  Satan Incarnate no longer coaches MV, but the Tigers are still one of the highest-scoring teams in the state, with 462 in 9 games; their only loss was a 28-14 shocker at the hands of Winnsboro.  Pottsboro is the ranked team here, but I almost expect MV to pull it off.

Corrigan-Camden @ Centerville  TONIGHT Fun little 2A game here just off I-35 halfway between Dallas and Houston.  C-C is undefeated, having weathered a couple of close wins over 3A opponents and has obliterated their district foes by 208-0 in 4 games.  Centerville is only 7-2, but is ranked #8, with their losses coming in low-scoring games to powerhouse Mart and Crawford.  They’ve also found little pushback from district mates, though by “only” 201-28.  This looks like the kind of matchup where they could play 100 times and each team would win 50.  Flip a coin or take the home team.

SAN ANTONIO

Brandeis-Reagan  Brandeis’ only blemish was a 42-6 loss to Brennan.  No shame in that loss, and they’ve rebounded but have struggled to put away some inferior opponents in the past month.  Reagan lost their first two games to SV and Round Rock, but has completely blitzed everyone since, including the same teams Brandeis has struggled with.  The resumes point to Reagan in this one, though weird stuff always seems to happen in this district.

NB Canyon @ Wagner  TONIGHT This is for 2nd in the district behind SV.  NBC’s only loss was 35-0 to SV;  Wagner played SV closer at 21-13, but has also lost non-district games to Dripping and Liberty Hill. This matchup looks to be about as close as they get, but I like NBC’s coach and versatile offense to pull them through.

COASTAL BEND  

Flour Bluff @ G-P  Fun one in the CC area!  Both teams struggled against top competition in non-district with both teams losing to Boerne and Calallen (by wildly different margins), and both have since laid waste to the 4 RGV teams in their district, 222-15 for G-P and 205-40 for FB.  G-P won this game last season 37-27, only to fall in the playoffs to FB in a 47-44 barnburner.  G-P has an excellent coach in Brent Davis who will use the memory of that loss to their advantage tomorrow.

Sinton @ Ingleside  Sinton is rebuilding this season apparently.  The Pirates have losses to Beeville, LaVernia, and Edna.   Ingleside’s only loss was in OT to R-F.  Both have racked up tons of points against terrible district competition, so nothing to learn about them there.  The Mustangs haven’t beaten Sinton since 2018, but if they’re going to break that streak, this is the year, and they’re at home.  

CENTRAL TEXAS

Stephenville @ Waco La Vega  TONIGHT The Yellowjackets were cruising along ranked #1 with a 23-game winning streak when China Spring got them two weeks ago.  Then Alvarado edged them last week and things look crazy.  They have legit issues with the D, having allowed an absurd 357 points, including games of 61, 49, 42 twice, and 50, with the last one being the only loss of that bunch.  At 5-4 LV is going through rebuilding pains, especially offensively where they are extremely young and have scored only 264 this season.  They’ll score on the S’Ville D, but the Yellowjackets just have too many weapons for them.

Cuero @ LaGrange  TONIGHT The Gobbler scoreboard shows 504-116 on the season, and their only loss (to Calallen) is the only game where they’ve scored under 43 points.  LaGrange is only 5-4, but they have some serious talent, though not enough to hang with Cuero for 4 quarters.

AUSTIN

Bowie @ Lake Travis  Bowie’s only two losses were to Dripping and Westlake, though neither game was competitive.  LT also lost to those two by much closer margins, as well as Steele and Martin, so they need this win to have a winning record.  This game means nothing for playoffs or seeding, but Bowie hasn’t beaten LT in forever and this might be their best chance.  I still like LT in this one.  

Canyon Lake @ Lampassas  CL is undefeated in this district, while Lamp needs a win and some help to grab a title.  CL runs a grind-it-out Slot-T, and as you might guess, if they fall behind, they look lost trying to pass and play catch-up.  I like the Badgers in this because they run a more balanced offense that will pressure CL through the air.  I also like them because they play on a grass field that doesn’t have a track around it, like God meant HS football to be played.

Cedar Park @ Georgetown  Rumors of CP’s demise were exaggerated, as they have rebounded from a 1-5 start against a killer schedule with three wins in a row.  Both trail the two BCS schools in district, but could end up on top if everything falls just right.  CP has a pretty anemic offense with only 174 points all season, so they’ll have to keep the score down to have a chance to win.  GT’s offense is too good to allow that to happen.

HOUSTON

Fulshear @ Richmond Foster   TONIGHT Great matchup here to decide one of the best districts in the state.  Fulshear is 8-1, with their only loss a 44-40 setback against Angleton.  Their offense has rung up huge numbers with 429 points scored, despite an uncharacteristic 9-7 slugfest win over Manvel last week.  7-2 Foster’s D has been phenomenal, allowing only 82 points all season.  I wouldn’t bet against a D like that.

Summer Creek @ Atascocita   It’s interesting to watch the hierarchy in the Houston area HSFB.  North Shore and Katy are clearly 1-2, and then there’s a mosh pit below them that includes these two teams.  6-3 SC’s losses are to Klein Cain and Collins and NS by only 34-27.  They also got a big win last week over fellow mosh pit member King by 24-21.  ‘Cita has one of the best-looking teams in TxHSFB, as their lines are freaking mammoth on both sides of the ball and they even have good size in the defensive secondary.  They gave NS all they could handle last week in a 16-13 heartbreaker.  They’ve lost to NS and Katy by a total of 10 points, so they’re looking like the cream of that mosh pit, and they should handle SC.

DFW

Red Oak @ Midlothian  #10 @ #6 in 5AD1… These two are a combined 17-1, with the only blemish being RO’s 48-47 OT loss to Lake Belton.  Midlothian beat LB 39-37 two weeks ago, so this looks to be a very even matchup.  RO does have the more explosive offense, having scored 431 this season, including 232 in the last 4 weeks.  Real even matchup here, and you have to wonder if the bad weather predicted will slow down RO’s passing offense just enough to make a difference.  

Midlothian Heritage @ Everman  TONIGHT When did the town of Midlothian get so good at football?  The real crime is that 5AD1 MHS doesn’t play 5AD2 MHHS this season – what’s up with that?  Two 8-1 teams in this one whose only losses were tight games to Stephenville.  MH looks like they have a slightly better defense and a FCS recruit at QB.  

LD Bell @ Trinity  TONIGHT Purely nostalgia here, as this was the best rivalry in DFW when I was growing up, but… Bell hasn’t made the playoffs since 2013, and Trinity started the season 0-5 (but has rebounded to 3-6).  Winner gets a playoff berth, even though Trinity has a losing record and Bell is only 6-3 after a 5-0 start. I’m a big believer in inertia, so I’ll take the Trojans in this one.  And I miss @Soul Glo.

Lovejoy @ Melissa  TONIGHT  Lovejoy’s offense is a freaking pinball game with 4 future college players at WR alone.  Kyle Parker (LSU commit) had 23 catches for 341 yards in one game this season @ Argyle.  The team has scored 483 points, and only once has been held under 49.  Melissa’s not too shabby either, losing only to #1-ranked teams Argyle and China Spring; they’ve also scored at least 42 in every other game.  This will be a 63-59 last-team-with-the-ball-wins type of game.  

SOUTH TEXAS

Vela @ Rowe  TONIGHT Outside of Vela’s one slip-up against PSJAN, they’ve destroyed everyone, with their closest win at 50-14.  Might as well expect that to continue against a Nikki Rowe D that’s fairly porous and recently got bombed in a 63-14 loss to PSJAN.  A loss could knock Rowe out of the playoffs, though if that happens, the blame will go more squarely on their 40-21 loss last week to McAllen.  

WEST TEXAS

Cisco @ Hawley  #8 @ #2 in 2AD1  Game of the year in 2A?  In West Texas?  Hawley has quickly become one of the most impressive programs in the state, maybe the best in West Texas.  The Bears have allowed only 53 points this season against a loaded schedule.  As usual, Cisco is very good again, with their only loss by 3 to 3A Breckenridge.  Hawley beat Cisco in a 17-14 classic last season in the Region 1 championship game and I’d expect the same kind of game Friday.  

Thanks, as always. I love learning about these intense rivalries across the state. 

Just left the Westlake game. Score was 70-10 but I can't recall who was ahead. Our QB has proven to be perfectly fine. He's tall and has a good arm. He'll never outrun defenders but hopefully he won't have to. The achilles heel may prove to be injuries on our offensive line. We've lost two starters for the season and that will matter vs those monster Houston teams. 

Strangely, I am almost relieved that Westlake will go D1 this year. I sure don't want them to face Denton Guyer this year. They look pretty unbeatable. Their little QB draw is insanely hard to stop and gave us all sorts of problems in last year's championship game. I think OU is getting a great college QB in Jackson Arnold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

JFC at that NB-Judson score. After 44 straight winning seasons Judson officially posts back to back losing seasons. 

I live in north SA currently. Seems like a lot of folks think JISD made a giant mistake opening Vets HS. Apparently it’s enrollment  is not as high as it was projected to be by now, and all it did was siphon off some talent from the Rockets as well as take away the nicest neighborhoods from Judson HS. I think they can recover eventually but damn. @Mac8111 probably knows more than me.

• Hook 'Em 3

Veterans enrollment is growing but slowly. (I think we were around 1550 in this last round of redistricting). There are a ton of houses being built along Evans Rd right now that will help accelerate that. (Will help VM and Johnson since the south side of Evans Rd is NEISD. The building of a new high school was critical for the growth of the district. Let’s be honest. No family with a house along Evans Rd or this far north part of the district is sending their kid to Judson high school….

I can’t speak directly to Judson’s issues in football, but the district did move Richard Mendoza from head coach at VM to principal at Judson towards the end of last year. (He was ex Judson Rocket who took them to state championship game back in the 90’s). Discipline was a disaster around campus.

By the way, our Junior RB is a freaking stud. Has offers from most of the Big 12, several SEC schools and Ohio State offered recently. Runs with authority.

• Hook 'Em 4

EAST TEXAS

CH took it took them, 32-20.

47-28 Pottsboro

Centerville led 35-0 at half and coasted to 56-21.

SAN ANTONIO

Duece Adams hit bro Eli with about an 18-y TD pass with 1:06 left to win it for NBC 30-24.

CENTRAL TEXAS

42-28 S'Ville

49-7 Gobblers

HOUSTON

Wow, 58-32 Fulshear!

DFW

Midlothian outgained RO 543-249 and won 56-28.

Everman scored with 1:30 left, but went for the win with a 2-pointer and failed, 35-34 Heritage.

LD Bell @ Trinity  TONIGHT Purely nostalgia here, as this was the best rivalry in DFW when I was growing up, but… Bell hasn’t made the playoffs since 2013, and Trinity started the season 0-5 (but has rebounded to 3-6).  Winner gets a playoff berth, even though Trinity has a losing record and Bell is only 6-3 after a 5-0 start. I’m a big believer in inertia, so I’ll take the Trojans in this one.  And I miss @Soul Glo.

Trinity won a classic 27-24 in OT to take the playoff berth.

Melissa got a 24-y TD pass with less than a minute left and a 2-pointer to win 36-35.

SOUTH TEXAS

Vela by a ton, 62-14.

Other scores:

NB 40 Judson 14

Cedar Hill lost to Lake Ridge to finish the season 2-8.

Desoto 28 Mansfield 16   11-161, 3 TD for Cook

Hutto 41 Weiss 38

Prosper 47 McKinney 27

Brownsville Vets 85 Lopez 14  Best Brownsville team since...?  @Helobious  @956 Worldwide

Emory Rains 68 Bonham 64

Yoakum 34 Hallettsville 21

Newton 81 New Waverly 34

Refugio 52 Ganado 26

Timpson 44 Garrison 38

Alto 36 Price Carlisle 31

• Hook 'Em 1

Easy, 2018 Brownsville Hanna. Went 10-3 or 11-2 or something, beat Amarillo Tascosa in pre-district and lost by one point to SA Brandeis in the third round at the Alamodome. Brownsville Porter had a salty team in the early 2000s with Billy Garza at QB. I’m sure there a good team or two in the 90s & 80s but that was before my time. @Beau Vine

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Easy, 2018 Brownsville Hanna. Went 10-3 or 11-2 or something, beat Amarillo Tascosa in pre-district and lost by one point to SA Brandeis in the third round at the Alamodome.

Dayum, they really blitzed that district: https://www.maxpreps.com/tx/brownsville/hanna-golden-eagles/football/18-19/schedule/

I had the Alamo Heights game vs SA Sam Houston tonight. Coach Rittemann has his Team ready for a playoff run. It was over early, but I’ll tell you then SH kids were well coached and disciplined, as all game it was yes sir or no sir!

As an Umpire, I took a helmet to the face very early in the game and my nose bled like a faucet!
AH’s training staff had me plugged up and bandaged up within short order. Slight delay in the game, but no concussion protocols needed and the game went on.

Both teams played hard to the whistle and were very disciplined, especially with a 50+ to 6 final.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I had the Alamo Heights game vs SA Sam Houston tonight. Coach Rittemann has his Team ready for a playoff run. It was over early, but I’ll tell you then SH kids were well coached and disciplined, as all game it was yes sir or no sir!

As an Umpire, I took a helmet to the face very early in the game and my nose bled like a faucet!
AH’s training staff had me plugged up and bandaged up within short order. Slight delay in the game, but no concussion protocols needed and the game went on.

Both teams played hard to the whistle and were very disciplined, especially with a 50+ to 6 final.

Hook’em!

I’m rooting hard for Sam Houston to find success. They were notorious for being a rough school with knucklehead players for the longest time. They’ve hired some new young coaches and you can tell they’ve really emphasized discipline and grades.

• Hook 'Em 1

Regular season is in the books for me and just waiting to hear playoff assignments. This season went by fast!

Everyone involved making Texas Friday Nights special, I thank you! My MVPs are the training staffs of all these schools, especially those kids that run the water out to us older referees during time outs and etc! A hearty thank you goes out to all the bands, cheer squads, and etc that help make our games electric!

For those fortunate to be able to continue their season, best of luck to all involved. For those Seniors that played their last game this week, hold your head high, as they’ve created memories that will last a lifetime!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I’m rooting hard for Sam Houston to find success. They were notorious for being a rough school with knucklehead players for the longest time. They’ve hired some new young coaches and you can tell they’ve really emphasized discipline and grades.

Coach Williams has a good thing going. They were 5-4 and 4-4 in District. They needed to beat AH for a “chance” at the playoffs, but their last matchup didn’t bode well going in.

Sam’s kids were great throughout the game and after my early accident, they were always asking/checking on me.

Hook’em!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Easy, 2018 Brownsville Hanna. Went 10-3 or 11-2 or something, beat Amarillo Tascosa in pre-district and lost by one point to SA Brandeis in the third round at the Alamodome. Brownsville Porter had a salty team in the early 2000s with Billy Garza at QB. I’m sure there a good team or two in the 90s & 80s but that was before my time. @Beau Vine

Vets had a good team in 2017, they went 10-2 with only a loss to Edinburg Vela in the season and CC Vets in the playoffs.  Brownsville Vets has a solid program, they are usually in the playoffs and in the mix for the district championship. 

Brownsville Rivera had some really solid teams in the mid-late 1990s and early 2000s during Tom Chavez’ first tenure. They had a tendency to play out of control a bit, and couldn’t get over the Harlingen hump very often, but there were a couple years they were a solid second best in the valley. 

And in the early 1990s, Hanna had some good teams built completely around Tony Ellis, who got a scholarship to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Do they have 5A enrollment or are they playing up?

I remember them starting to make a little noise in 4A for a couple of years when Gary Green was there, but then they disappeared when they went to 5A.

Edited by Beau Vine

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Do they have 5A enrollment or are they playing up?

I remember them starting to make a little noise in 4A for a couple of years when Gary Green was there, but then they disappeared when they went to 5A.

They play up. Smallest SAISD school by a comfortable margin. It’s still trying to shake its bad rep. 

On 8/28/2022 at 12:10 AM, Helobious said:

Keven Hernandez (Burbank QB) could be a name to remember too. 

Also on SAISD football… this kid has carried the perennial southside doormat Bulldogs to a 7-2 record right now. He’s a Mishak-special and I believe he already has over 1000 yards rushing & passing each. Just a sophomore as well. Hate to say I told you so but I don’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think that was Brownsville Porter's first winning season ever since they opened in the 70's?   

12 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think that was Brownsville Porter's first winning season ever since they opened in the 70's?   

It was. They were absolutely terrible. That was the team I felt bad for as a kid, they’d come to Harlingen and there’d be more kids on the sidelines than fans. And they had trouble fielding a two-deep. 

They’ve won state in futbol, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

My only up close and personal experience with Sam Houston wasn't in football,  but rather basketball.  Played them in the opening round of their  tournament and got our asses handed to us 130 to 57.  Good lord those guys could play. Ironically it was the best game I ever had by far with 27 points. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

EAST TEXAS

Jasper led 10-0, lost 26-23

SAN ANTONIO

24-9 Reagan

COASTAL BEND  

32-0 Sinton.  Jeez.

23-22 SD in OT

AUSTIN

Cancelled because of lightning.

CL 34-30

Georgetown 40-14

HOUSTON

21-18 Cita, led by QB Zion Brown's 250 y rushing

WEST TEXAS

Back and forth all game.  Hawley gets a TD with 3 seconds left to win 36-33:

Other fun scores:

Steele 23 Clemens 0

Harlingen 38 Los Fresnos 13

Tompkins 45 Paetow 14  Paetow misses the playoffs

Harlingen South 14 Donna 7

Abilene Wylie 20 Cooper 10

Rio Hondo 20 Lyford 14

San Marcos 20 SA EC 16

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

What is the skinny on Sharyland? I see they won their district but are 6-4 overall. Looks like that would be the potential 2nd round matchup for SA Vets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry too much about them, they had quite a few pretty bad losses (Brownsville Hanna) and ALL the talent in valley 5a is big school this year. 

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

What is the skinny on Sharyland? I see they won their district but are 6-4 overall. Looks like that would be the potential 2nd round matchup for SA Vets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re not that good. They used to love to really sling the ball but I think they’re mostly balanced nowadays.

What’s the story on SA Warren? Their first round with 9-1 Eagle Pass looks like a fun one, EP is a great story even though they lost their last game in district.  Warren lost to Laredo United early in the year, while EP beat them.  

Harlingen should handle PSJA pretty easily, and that next round also looks to be pretty fun against either a very good EP team or a mediocre SA area team that might fall to an RGV squad.  If we manage to get two wins, Dripping Springs will be waiting and that’s an order I don’t think we can fill.  Dripping Springs should win R4 pretty handily to advance to semis, a great first year in 6A effort.

On the big side of the 6a house it’s hard to see Westlake tripping up, a potential date with SA Reagan might be a decent game though. 

In 5a D1, could we see a R4 final with two valley teams rematching (Edinburg Vela and PSJA North)? It’s actually possible.  I feel good that one of those two teams will be there and have a good shot at advancing. 

The smaller school side of 5a in R4 looks ugly for RGV schools. I don’t think they’ll win a game against anyone but fellow RGV schools and will be at home after round 2.

• Hook 'Em 1