2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

On 11/9/2022 at 5:32 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I always thought it was Pharr-San Juan-Alamo TEXAS but it could be Tri-Cities I guess. Lots of schools try to ape college and NFL templates and I can see why back when this was designed (been that way at least since I was in junior high and likely longer), those were farming communities and the colors maroon and white and so it makes sense. 

Execution is a bit clunky but it’s legible, far from the worst high school hats out there.  Too many of them get too busy with the logos. I know it’s long-standing tradition but I don’t like SLC, the cloud of smoke, the lightning bolts, the scales, the red tongue, and the outline of Texas combine to be way too busy. 

image.png

Yep, it’s for the Tri-Cities.   

On 11/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, Helobious said:

Our secondary will have its hands full on Friday, as PSJA has one of the best QBs in the valley. @956 Worldwide not sure he can do it alone though, I’m still picking the cards to win.

Sidenote: do you or maybe @Nueces River Rat or anyone else know why their helmets look like this? Their mascot is Bears, is the “T” for tri-cities? Always thought it was the ugliest/stupidest helmet design of all time. 

53742B97-5787-4E0F-A580-2159B7E2B032.jpeg.3dfc95a0ec79f90ec1587ab859bb760f.jpeg

Back in my day when PSJA had one high school, I recall the letters PSJA were on the helmet similar to how LSU has them on theirs.  

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Back in my day when PSJA had one high school, I recall the letters PSJA were on the helmet similar to how LSU has them on theirs.  

McHigh does that now with a bulldog instead of a tiger. 

Game of the night appears to be ridge point beating Tompkins 35-33 in 2OT.

First round is a joke -- go here: https://www.texasfootball.com/scores/?ref=nav

And scroll down past 6A and count the close games.  You'll get maybe 10 total.

Interesting scores:

Steele 34 Johnson 17

Game of the night: Ridge Point 35 Tompkins 33 2 OT  

Weslaco 16 Edinburg 13

Magnolia West 17 Galveston Ball 7  Ball's D had allowed 14 points all season.

McAllen 24 Harlingen South 15

G-P 64 Mission Vets 6

Mercedes 37 Pioneer 27

Jarrell 32 Devine 14  The Warhorses had been 9-1.

Franklin 33 Hallettsville 7

Canadian 70 Roosevelt 8

Wimberley 81 SA YMLA 0

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, blacklab said:

Round Rock cedar ridge uses the same song for the school song as Westlake. Not sure if our plucky little guys will be able to over come this. 
hopefully we can get some breaks and the refs can help us out. 

It's good to see the kids from the mean streets of Westlake able to overcome adversity and find some success.  Having football/sports to give their lives direction is important to help keeping them out of trouble.

It's nice to see Westlake finally catch a break!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s a rollercoaster, once in a decade team that makes it beyond the 3rd round when talking west Texas. My Abilene team in 2004 would have beaten seven shades of shit out of my little brother’s 2009 team that won state, and we lost 3rd round on an interception in the endzone with 8 seconds left to SLC that year. We had more D-1 athletes and were a more complete team top to bottom.

TLDR; high school kids are fickle at best

2004 was a fun year in Abilene, there was that team and Wylie won state with Keenum at QB. Great time for Big Country football, Jim Ned was also really good. 

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

2004 was a fun year in Abilene, there was that team and Wylie won state with Keenum at QB. Great time for Big Country football, Jim Ned was also really good. 

I remember my district in 2005.

Cameron and Hutto with Jeremy Kerley both made it to the regional final with Hutto making it to state vs Tatum.

Giddings with Brock Fitzhenry losing to West Orange-Stark with Deon Beasley and Earl Thomas in the regional final. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

SA Warren (vs Eagle Pass) SA Taft (vs Laredo United) and SA Reagan (vs New Braunfels) are all officially on Helobious upset watch tonight. Heard it here first.

I hope it happens to Reagan. Don’t know why, but they’ve always rubbed me the wrong way. 

Taft stomped Warren and Warren beat United…:what gives you the upset vibe? 

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I hope it happens to Reagan. Don’t know why, but they’ve always rubbed me the wrong way. 

Taft stomped Warren and Warren beat United…:what gives you the upset vibe? 

Taft also lost to a really sorry Jay squad and no one in that district chucks it around like United except for Brennan. Bad matchup for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

Round Rock cedar ridge uses the same song for the school song as Westlake. Not sure if our plucky little guys will be able to over come this. 
hopefully we can get some breaks and the refs can help us out. 

I was there. Greathouse is an insane talent. Do you think our QB's lack of mobility will catch up w us?   

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I was there. Greathouse is an insane talent. Do you think our QB's lack of mobility will catch up w us?   

I think his lack of passing ability is going to be the thing that catches up with us. Just doesn't have the zip or accuracy of Klubnik. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

That feeling you get when you realize your high school team could have made a Daingerfield-like run in a bunch of other states but didn't make it out of the second round in Texas. 

(This is the South Dakota state championship.)

Nice facility for South Dakota.

Just now, Laga4 said:

Nice facility for South Dakota.

Well, behind the endzone says "University of South Dakota" so likely not normal stadium.  Also, if looking up Wall HS it is in a district that is 9 man football due to it's size, so that does seem to explain them not being imposing.

10 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Well, behind the endzone says "University of South Dakota" so likely not normal stadium.  Also, if looking up Wall HS it is in a district that is 9 man football due to it's size, so that does seem to explain them not being imposing.

Yeah, it's the just-renovated DakotaDome

https://goyotes.com/facilities/the-dakotadome/14

domeempty_binary_6956864.jpg

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

I didn't think it was a HS stadium dummy,  just said it was a nice facility.  

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

8 #4 seeds beat #1 seeds last night. 

I was just bored out of my mind during a Teams work meeting, so I looked it up:

Mag West > Ball

Jarrell > Devine

Dalhart > Denver City

Hamilton > Tioga

Riesel > Cayuga

Ganado > La Villa

Big Spring > El Paso school

Abilene > El Paso school

32 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

8 #4 seeds beat #1 seeds last night. 

Windthorst damned near became the 9th in that group of 1's.  Trailed Celeste 21-7, before coming back late to win, 35-27.  The Trojans aren't as strong as in recent years, but the playoff experience and good coaching sure can go a long way!

Scratch my New Braunfels upset prediction. Holy fuck

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/11/11/new-braunfels-high-quarterback-shocked-falls-from-utility-pole-officials-say/

Starting QB was climbing a utility pole last night for some reason, got electrocuted and fell 25 feet to the ground. Somehow is still alive at the moment.

Just now, Helobious said:

Scratch my New Braunfels upset prediction. Holy fuck

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/11/11/new-braunfels-high-quarterback-shocked-falls-from-utility-pole-officials-say/

Starting QB was climbing a utility pole last night for some reason, got electrocuted and fell 25 feet to the ground. Somehow is still alive at the moment.

If he’s alive he wasn’t electrocuted 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Any free streaming games tonight on YouTube? TexasLive and that NHS or whatever are junk and I refuse to pay that service. 

Well the bad news is that the NFHS broadcast of Bowie & Vandegrift is worse than a terminal disease.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If he’s alive he wasn’t electrocuted 

Maybe he died on the inside?  Or he died, and the shock of slamming into the ground brought him back.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, cmontexas said:

Also, Permian has as clear a path as they'll ever have in 6AD1. Mojo-Duncanville in the semis would have a certain poetry to it. Bonus if Dville has some eligibility questions like the bball team

Or they'll lose first round to El Paso Pebbles

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeez, I was wrong.  A LOT of great games tonight:

Lewisville 30 Allen 12  The Fighting Farmers D just completely dominated, holding Allen to 227 yards.

Whitehouse got a 16y TD pass on 4th-12 late to upset Lovejoy 31-27.

Cuero 13 Salado 7 OT.  This was 0-0 midway through the 4th as howling wins limited both offenses, but particularly Cuero's.

SOC 12 Mansfield Summit 7  The Bears needed a punt return TD in the 4th to avoid the upset, only 112y total offense.

Cain 31 Cy Ranch 24

EP Pebble Hills 45 Permian 28

LT 35 Round Rock 10

New Braunfels 17 Reagan 13  Why does Reagan always underachieve in the playoffs?

Waxahachie 30 Temple 21

SV 30 Cedar Park 7

Red Oak did this to Ryan:

Burl Cent 55 Lake Belton 28

Georgetown 21 NB Canyon 17

Kennedale 10 Waco LV 7

Somerset 27 Lampasas 17

Bellville 27 WOS 20

Sealy 31 Jasper 15

Yoe 39 Yoakum 28

Columbus 24 Lorena 21  Lorena rallied from 21-7 to tie with 3 left, but Columbus drove the field and got a walkoff FG.

Spearman 21 Abernathy 7  4 over 1 shocker

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

New Braunfels 17 Reagan 13  Why does Reagan always underachieve in the playoffs?

They need a generational talent to go far in the playoffs (Marcus Wright, Trevor Knight). They’ve been lacking that in recent years. 

Brutal night for my other picks:

Taft - 49

Laredo United - 14

Warren - 47

Eagle Pass - 28

Harlingen’s secondary really struggled to contain that PSJA quarterback I hyped up, the bears even almost scored a point on a few different occasions. 49-0 cardinals win.

I can’t speak to how the hell Jay beat Taft during the season, but Taft has that RB that is an absolute beast to bring down. Once he gets to that fourth step, he is carrying your entire linebacker crew with him. But they are very one dimensional, they just do it really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk