Memorial Day BBQ

ousuxndallas

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't take pics, but trust me, this one came out of left field.  Smoked a 14.5 lb whole packer brisket on hickory starting yesterday afternoon.  Good smoke the whole run, temperature hovered between 210 F and 250 F.  I pulled it at about 13 hours and finished in the oven because it was 4 AM and I was about to pass out.

Carved it up tonight, and there was no smoke ring.  Not "a small smoke ring",  NO smoke ring.  Nada.  No pink.  WTF?  

It tasted fine.  The flat was moist, the moist was moister.  Great bark (2:1 black pepper to salt).  Just no smoke ring.

Never had THAT happen before.  Any ideas?

That piece of meat was the devil's asshole.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't take pics, but trust me, this one came out of left field.  Smoked a 14.5 lb whole packer brisket on hickory starting yesterday afternoon.  Good smoke the whole run, temperature hovered between 210 F and 250 F.  I pulled it at about 13 hours and finished in the oven because it was 4 AM and I was about to pass out.

Carved it up tonight, and there was no smoke ring.  Not "a small smoke ring",  NO smoke ring.  Nada.  No pink.  WTF?  

It tasted fine.  The flat was moist, the moist was moister.  Great bark (2:1 black pepper to salt).  Just no smoke ring.

Did you let it get to room temp before throwing it on?  I never get a smoke ring when I do that.  Either way a smoke ring is inconsequential.  Taste, bark and moistness count and it sounds like you nailed it

Got it all done.  One brisket was finished around noon.  The other was stubborn and didn't finish up until 3:00 pm, just enough time to rest it before the party at 4.

Didn't snap any pictures of the ribs, but they turned out fine.

Big_cook_2.jpg

Big_cook_3.jpg

Big_cook_4.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/27/2018 at 10:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Without getting into the exhausting myoglobin protein/nitric oxide side of things – there are a few things to pay attention to. 

Put the meat on cold.   A higher humidity helps.  Spritz the meat every hour or so (water, vinegar, etc.).  Use a water pan.

Assuming you don’t have a gas or electric smoker?  

How cured was the wood?  And finally, vacillating between 210 and 250 “may” have impacted things.  Was there a long stretch of time between the times or was 210 early, then warmed up and stayed closed to 250?  A lack of consistency always leads to a long list of trouble items.  I found cooking hotter helps (275 range).

The good ‘ol WSM did not let me down. Hands-down the best spares I’ve ever made. Perfect bite through, perfect flavor, and they went so quick I didn’t get a “sliced pic.” Pork shoulder was damn tasty as well.

Good work all around, gents.

36db329574eee564e7a1a8755ad9a345.jpg

78b0e1ca84fc5fd4d99827e4614aee87.jpg

791d109601c9753742d0b78d2dcc3ca5.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/26/2018 at 10:42 AM, utee94 said:

Brisket's been on the smoker since 6:00, pit's at 300, brisket is holding at 160, about a half-hour into the stall.  Should be good to go at final temp by 4:00 or so, I'll rest it and serve around 6.

Beef short ribs have also been on since about 9:30, they'll be good to go at 5:30 I'd guess.

Pork spare ribs will go on at 1.  Sausage will go on ~5.  

Oh and based on comments and recommendations here on the Surl, I'm gonna smoke some Brussels sprouts, too.  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

6:00pm to 4:00a? That's 10 hours. You cook a 20lb hunk of meat?

Ha!

6 AM to 4 PM.  It actually took until a little after 5, got about an hour of resting time before I sliced into it.  I did drop the temp closer to 225 for part of the cook when I added the pork ribs in.  And it was a pretty big brisket at around 16 lbs, which is definitely larger than I prefer. I like 'em around 11 or 12 typically.

Edited by utee94

I smoked two briskets, six racks of pork ribs, three bone in turkey breasts, and about a dozen links of bratwurst and about twenty or so links of the jalapeño Kiolbasa sausage.

Not many pics because I have kids these days - my brother in law snapped this one when I had separated the flat from the point on one of the briskets before I started slicing.

5daa0a54ae5ae926609fc5406fe2c38f.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hornian said:

I smoked two briskets, six racks of pork ribs, three bone in turkey breasts, and about a dozen links of bratwurst and about twenty or so links of the jalapeño Kiolbasa sausage.

Not many pics because I have kids these days - my brother in law snapped this one when I had separated the flat from the point on one of the briskets before I started slicing.

5daa0a54ae5ae926609fc5406fe2c38f.jpg

takes balls to post a pic of yourself on this board.  popcorn.gif

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:
takes balls to post a pic of yourself on this board.  popcorn.gif

Meh. I’ve met a ton of these guys IRL and people know who I am and what my law firm’s website is with my picture on it.

Plus I have giant balls. 

Edited by hornian