Texas @ OU in Arlington Weekend Thread

zlavydra

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I turned it on right when he pulled Tristan. I saw like 85 pitches and 2 on but 1 out and no runs given up. 

any unique circumstances I should be aware of before saying pierce should have left him in for another hitter or 2?

I thought he should have left Tristan in. I think there’s a good chance he could have gotten the ground ball we needed 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I turned it on right when he pulled Tristan. I saw like 85 pitches and 2 on but 1 out and no runs given up. 

any unique circumstances I should be aware of before saying pierce should have left him in for another hitter or 2?

I'm not defending Pierce because I thought it was a questionable decision at best in real time. But, I imagine his thought process was something along the lines of "My starter just gave up base hits to the 8 and 9 hole hitters and the top of the lineup is coming around for their 4th look at him, so I'm going to make a change."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

I'm not defending Pierce because I thought it was a questionable decision at best in real time. But, I imagine his thought process was something along the lines of "My starter just gave up base hits to the 8 and 9 hole hitters and the top of the lineup is coming around for their 4th look at him, so I'm going to make a change."

If we win that decision makes him a genius, but since we lost so it was the wrong one. 

14 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

That makes it understandable. As does going to Nixon. Didn’t work because Nixon couldn’t locate, again. 

4 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I would think the bigger problem is lack of hitting against their shitty pitcher. Or did we hit line drives all day that just found gloves?

I agree that was the bigger problem. And no, not really. There were a few, but it was a lot of strikeouts and pop ups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had a chance to catch the game in person today which was fun outside of the loss. We were kinda sitting alone where the folding chairs are on the second level when a man approached us and asked where we were from. We responded saying the north Texas area and he replied that he was visiting from California to see his son play. I asked who and he said that his son was Murphy Stehly and I quickly replied with “no way, he’s a badass. Love to watch him swing the bat.” He laughed a bit and we chatted some more about Stehly. Anyway, I’ve never met Murphy but I’d bet he’s a smart and good kid. His dad was extremely nice and a cool dude to talk to. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Had a chance to catch the game in person today which was fun outside of the loss. We were kinda sitting alone where the folding chairs are on the second level when a man approached us and asked where we were from. We responded saying the north Texas area and he replied that he was visiting from California to see his son play. I asked who and he said that his son was Murphy Stehly and I quickly replied with “no way, he’s a badass. Love to watch him swing the bat.” He laughed a bit and we chatted some more about Stehly. Anyway, I’ve never met Murphy but I’d bet he’s a smart and good kid. His dad was extremely nice and a cool dude to talk to. 

Did you ask him if Murphy can close?

Pierce needs to adjust his paradigm.  The bias needs to be toward leaving a guy in the game who has been throwing strikes because nobody we bring in can consistently do so. If that means occasionally going too long with a starter then so be it.   This offense will generally reward you for limiting the damage.  The way to limit the damage is to throw strikes.