2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On 8/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Here is your big decision- we have to take 2 guys off the 40 man roster, and it cannot be a guy currently on the 60 day DL b/c he doesn't count so he doesn't get you there. 

Your options not currently on the 26 man:

Jake Meyers, Joe Perez, Taylor Jones, Nico Goodrum,  Korey Lee, Forrest Whitley, Peter Solomon, Enoli Paredes, Parker Mushinski, Shawn Dubin, Ronel Blanco.

My guess is that it's Goodrum, and Blanco. 

I'd like for Smith to get his walking papers but that doesn't seem super likely to me to happen.  

36 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Where’s wulaw

i need an assessment on what this would mean for the 40 man.

There is your 40 man roster guys not on the 26 currently. 
my guess is, if they sign him then Y Diaz doesn’t get a call up and you still need only 2 moves from the 40 (for him and Brown) 

If I had to guess it’s bye bye to Goodrum and Blanco. If he’s on a 2 year deal it’s possible they cut bait on Jones instead of Blanco, since he makes Jones kind of redundant for next year, but maybe they envision a Jones/JJ platoon at 1B, I have no idea. My guess is, if he’s signed, 1B is Y Diaz next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you are bringing back JV then basically this is it for your financial flexibility for next year. The upside is it means you only have 3 positions to fill- back up catcher, CF and 1B. 
Diaz takes 1B, Chas/Meyer/Leon go into a cage fight where 3 enter and 2 leave, and Lee is you backup C?  Those 4 roster spots get filled for 3 million. No money to bring back Vasquez unless they don’t sign JV. 

2023 roster:

JV, Framber, LMJ, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia, Brown, Presley, Stanek, Neris, Maton, Martinez, Whitley 

Maldy, Lee, Diaz, JJ, Altuve, Peña, Bregman, Alvarez, Dubon, Conforto, Tucker, Chas, Meyers. 

210 million plus the 15M in payroll taxes for your luxury tax number. Right on the tax threshold. That’s with JV getting 40 ish. I’d personally trade Garcia, Maton and Chas for a CF with a couple years of team control left if JV comes back. That roster, either way, Fucks. 

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Meanwhile, LAA doing their best Astros bullpen to blow this game

It is uncanny how they torpedo the insane results of their big dogs and find a way to lose.  Oh well, so sad that the Angels ineptitude is trumped by NYY terrible luck since the All-Star game.

Fuck him.

When I look at batting averages and the IL and just generally observing, I’m amazed our record is what it is. Pitching is obviously this team’s bread and butter, but we can be and should be, and IMO will be, way better, and hopefully that coincides with the playoffs starting.

This team is unreal.

Conforto should’ve hopped on in the hopes he got a chance to be a part of the magic. What a donkey 

• Hook 'Em 1

Today is the day Goodrum gets DFA'd imo. He hasn't played since Aug 12th iirc and the team will need at least one 40-man spot for Brown and maybe another for Yanier Diaz if he gets called up as well.

One 40-man development worth watching is the never-ending saga of Josh James. He was sent on a rehab assignment last week to Single A Fayetteville, pitched well and has been transferred to Sugar Land. The Skeeters used seven pitchers last night, with Dubin starting and getting three innings of work while all the others got an inning each. The winning pitcher of record? Josh James, who pitched the 5th and went 1 H 0 R 0 BB 3 K. The Astros have about three weeks to decide what to do with him and his 40-man roster spot.

8 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

What did we get in return?

No details were provided by the Astros yet. Maybe a PBTNL?

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Today is the day Goodrum gets DFA'd imo. He hasn't played since Aug 12th iirc and the team will need at least one 40-man spot for Brown and maybe another for Yanier Diaz if he gets called up as well.

One 40-man development worth watching is the never-ending saga of Josh James. He was sent on a rehab assignment last week to Single A Fayetteville, pitched well and has been transferred to Sugar Land. The Skeeters used seven pitchers last night, with Dubin starting and getting three innings of work while all the others got an inning each. The winning pitcher of record? Josh James, who pitched the 5th and went 1 H 0 R 0 BB 3 K. The Astros have about three weeks to decide what to do with him and his 40-man roster spot.

No details were provided by the Astros yet. Maybe a PBTNL?

Cash considerations. They used them to buy Dusty Baker some sweet new wristbands, toothpicks, readers and Rona masks. We won the trade bigly imo. 

• Rage+1 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:14 AM, henrygandorf said:

astros are in the 1st base dugout, and the friends and family section is right above that and typically half full.  i would recommend buying a bit above that and wandering down.

prepare yourself though, it's gonna hot as fuck this weekend no matter where your seats are.

Thanks, yeah saw the "heat wave".  Hopefully Austin/Houston has prepared me for it over the last month, if it's humid as fuck all bets off.

Looks like seating options above 1B dugout are field level/mvp and "terrace" options.  Is there better beer/food options/views/shade in "terrace" or not worth it?

27 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Thanks, yeah saw the "heat wave".  Hopefully Austin/Houston has prepared me for it over the last month, if it's humid as fuck all bets off.

Looks like seating options above 1B dugout are field level/mvp and "terrace" options.  Is there better beer/food options/views/shade in "terrace" or not worth it?

not sure which day(s) you're going but the 3rd base side is better for the shade.  the first base side will get sun most of the game (prob only affect you on sat or sunday).  if you're on that side and in the sun, you can always back up to use the overhang until the sun goes down (7:30ish).  it will be every bit of 100+ and it's a dry heat - more like phx, vegas, or mexico than austin/houston.

there are a couple decent food options kinda centrally placed - we typically hit them on the way in.  if memory serves, there's a good beer/booze area right near that main astros section.  it's an old stadium so that stuff is all pretty spread out and there's nothing cool or unique about any particular place that i know of.

not sure how you're doing it, but if you're staying in la, i would recommend the train from union station.  it drops you off in the stadium parking lot and it's fun to booze on the train (and at union station).  the freeways will be fucked up because of the beach traffic/holiday weekend/disney.

27 minutes ago, huge said:

Buy a cheapo and meander to whatever suits your fancy.  It won't be crowded.

also this.  it won't be crowded (although shohei is throwing on sat).  and it's pretty easy to move around.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure which day(s) you're going but the 3rd base side is better for the shade.  the first base side will get sun most of the game (prob only affect you on sat or sunday).  if you're on that side and in the sun, you can always back up to use the overhang until the sun goes down (7:30ish).  it will be every bit of 100+ and it's a dry heat - more like phx, vegas, or mexico than austin/houston.

there are a couple decent food options kinda centrally placed - we typically hit them on the way in.  if memory serves, there's a good beer/booze area right near that main astros section.  it's an old stadium so that stuff is all pretty spread out and there's nothing cool or unique about any particular place that i know of.

not sure how you're doing it, but if you're staying in la, i would recommend the train from union station.  it drops you off in the stadium parking lot and it's fun to booze on the train (and at union station).  the freeways will be fucked up because of the beach traffic/holiday weekend/disney.

also this.  it won't be crowded (although shohei is throwing on sat).  and it's pretty easy to move around.

Thanks for the info, going to the Sunday game for now. Game says 3pm start so I assume thats 1pm local time, so head to the 3B side for shade?

9 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Thanks for the info, going to the Sunday game for now. Game says 3pm start so I assume thats 1pm local time, so head to the 3B side for shade?

yeah, it's 1pm local and the whole stadium will probably be in the sun for most of the game.  i would say find tickets in the back of the lowest/2nd lowest section so you can get under the overhang for shade.