Non-Texas weather. The all-encompassing thread

Parliament

12 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Yoooooo, fucking tornadoes everywhere today. by my count I think there have been confirmed sightings in 4 states - IL, MO, IA, AR
https://twitter.com/search?q="Tornado Warning"&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Some family friends took it on the chin last night (Wellman IA).  Everyone’s fine, but a lot of damage.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

giphy.gif

Tuesday-Wednesday we’re (Dakotas, western Minn)supposed to get socked with a foot of heavy weight shit, high winds. That’ll be fun. I leave for Florida on Friday so I won’t have to look at it that long but still

Is Fargo gonna flood? I'm committed to coming up and setting sandbags.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Usually if you get snow this late you can let it ride and it'll melt pretty fast.  There's way too much on the ground this morning though (about 7 inches)- I've got no choice. And now you have just reminded me how heavy and wet it's going to be.  Ugh.

I was in St Paul for a wedding last night, and I’m pretty sure you guys have just given up on snow removal.  94 was completely buried this AM, and it was white knuckling all the way to Rochester.  Just stopped in Fountain for a beer and there’s maybe a dusting here

I just got off 94 and it still sucks. The crews are out, but it's just so damn wet and heavy.  I cleared my driveway this morning and it was, without a doubt, the most difficult snow removal of the season.

We'll have to see as the snow totals come in but I think we're now firmly in the top five highest snowfall seasons on record. 

Is Fargo gonna flood? I'm committed to coming up and setting sandbags.

I’m sure it’ll be considered “major” where we close the parks near the river and it goes over the banks but nobody in Fargo proper gets water…rural bedroom communities could be in trouble. There isn’t a field around town that has any dirt showing. Everything is still completely covered

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve had wildfires like crazy this week.  The amount of fall tillage prevents us from getting in situations like you see on the high plains, but every time it’s nice and dry around Easter, every Tom, Dick,  and Harry has to burn their CRP (restored prairie the government pays you to install) on a day with 30 mph winds.

• Hook 'Em 1

my 95-year old grand-uncle who was a submariner at the very end of WWII and beyond lives just near this floodzone.  I texted to check on him but he's in Egypt with his 70 year old girlfriend like a fucking boss.  that's all I got for weather, back to you Bob...............

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We’ve had wildfires like crazy this week.  The amount of fall tillage prevents us from getting in situations like you see on the high plains, but every time it’s nice and dry around Easter, every Tom, Dick,  and Harry has to burn their CRP (restored prairie the government pays you to install) on a day with 30 mph winds.

Where? I can’t find anything on my wildfire app or Gaia GPS. Wondering if those apps are accurate 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Where? I can’t find anything on my wildfire app or Gaia GPS. Wondering if those apps are accurate 

They were all quickly extinguished by volunteer FDs.

Thats what I was getting at with not having the same issues as the high plains.

So much of Iowa is tilled dirt this time of year, that it limits the distance these fires can spread.  Also, most were intentionally but irresponsibly set, which might make them not technically wildfires.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/13/2023 at 7:40 AM, Kennythetiger said:

He was 17 years old on a submarine?  

Born early 1928, lies about his age by a year, trains for six months, put to sea in Summer 1945.  Cleanup duty.  Some of those Axis boats didn't get the message and kept fighting.  His wartime service was brief but he went on to a decorated Naval service for several years, mainly as a submariner.  He made national news some years later, after the murder of Kitty Genovese.  He was an assistant secretary at the U.S. Dept of Agriculture in D.C.  A massive concert in 1975 called "Human Kindness Day" was taking place on the National Mall, featuring Stevie Wonder.  He was walking through to work and a man stabbed him in his eye socket.  Clamoring for help, just like Kitty Genovese, everybody around him assumed the next person would call for assistance.  Nobody did, and he lost his eye and almost bled to death.  Kitty and my grand-uncle are the reason we are now trained to point/direct to a particular person to run or call for help, not just shout at random to a group.  

In weather news, it is beautiful this morning.  But the recently robust bluebonnets are drying up faster than a hangover.

18 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Are you getting the high wind with the cold front? We are having 25-30 with gusts to 45. All the redbud blossoms are leaving in a hurry. 

Yeah.  Maybe some snow this afternoon.

I wish I could say this is the first time I’ve seen it push 90 and snow in the same week, but Iowa.

^

Yep.  I still tell the story in my wife and I's third date.  didn't know where things were headed, but she from Kansas basically said, "If we end up together, we're never going back to the midwest, right?"  Every Saturday morning, she does a conference call with her 3 sisters and parents and a few other relatives.  And every Saturday, it's drastically different than the week before.  Two weeks ago it was snowing and freezing.  Then it was 90 and humid.  Now it's 70mph winds with tornado watches.  It varied a lot where I grew up in Illinois but it does seem like the central plains are crazy, and unfortunately getting crazier.  And the irony is you can't help them see that something is wrong and getting wronger.  They just see it as God's plan.  Meanwhile, half the county my in-laws live in is owned by China and they literally employ South Africans to cut their corn and wheat during season since there's nobody left to help them in their old age.  But goddamit, this is America!  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

^

Yep.  I still tell the story in my wife and I's third date.  didn't know where things were headed, but she from Kansas basically said, "If we end up together, we're never going back to the midwest, right?"  Every Saturday morning, she does a conference call with her 3 sisters and parents and a few other relatives.  And every Saturday, it's drastically different than the week before.  Two weeks ago it was snowing and freezing.  Then it was 90 and humid.  Now it's 70mph winds with tornado watches.  It varied a lot where I grew up in Illinois but it does seem like the central plains are crazy, and unfortunately getting crazier.  And the irony is you can't help them see that something is wrong and getting wronger.  They just see it as God's plan.  Meanwhile, half the county my in-laws live in is owned by China and they literally employ South Africans to cut their corn and wheat during season since there's nobody left to help them in their old age.  But goddamit, this is America!  

Some of my wife's family live in Iowa and Nebraska. A couple of years ago I told her we should just move out there because it's so much cheaper. She told me fuck no.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

How many times you scraped that windmill.  Off the record and all. 

I’ve never hit one, seriously.  A kid who works for us schmucked the little barricade pole around the base of one this year.

Ive caught plenty of abandoned fence posts

• 1 month later...

This weather system is weird as shit.  Our heat index is going to be less than Fargo.

Other than the drought (which has definitely harmed our yields) and Canadian smoke, this is the nicest summer in years.  There's been almost no humidity and we haven't topped 95 for air temps.

• Hook 'Em 1