Non-Texas weather. The all-encompassing thread

Parliament

Just a regular blizzard for us. Southern Kansas got it far worse. Had a friend from Dodge send me pictures of her kitchen windows covered with snow from the outside, and vehicles abandoned on the side of the highway. 
This cold snap coming up is far more troubling to me than a little bit of snow. Cattle need a lot of water when it’s cold outside, and when it gets cold…..water freezes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm in my 40s and I agree.

He gets really irritated when the 10-day forecast shows a big blue spike for rain, and then as the days get closer the spike disappears.  “College interns drinking beer is all this thing is.”  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

lol poor AI. Iowa has been under a winter storm warning for like 6 off 7 days now.

Morale here is still good. Troops can still see the fields and most of the blades of grass in our compounds. This weekends cold shock will hurt a little but nothing crazy for snow

I feel like we’re skating by and February is going to absolutely pummel us like last year. 10 day looks pretty quiet in terms of precip %

Good luck. Lots of colors on weather.gov

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lol poor AI. Iowa has been under a winter storm warning for like 6 off 7 days now.

Morale here is still good. Troops can still see the fields and most of the blades of grass in our compounds. This weekends cold shock will hurt a little but nothing crazy for snow

I feel like we’re skating by and February is going to absolutely pummel us like last year. 10 day looks pretty quiet in terms of precip %

Good luck. Lots of colors on weather.gov

We missed out on the good snow unfortunately.  Got like 3-4".  But I live 10 miles from the Minnesota border, and farther into Iowa they got absolutely pummeled.  Another shot coming tonight through the day tomorrow, but it will probably be in the same vein.

As an avid cross country skier, snowshoer, and fatbiker, I'd like to see a good solid base.  It doesn't really take me any longer to clear 6" of snow than it does 3.

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

Got our first good measurable snowfall this past Sunday, it’s been a rather mild winter for our area so far this season. 

About the same here in Boston Metro. We got 6” or so in Winchester. But then a super freak rain storm can through Tuesday night and melted everything. It left a 1/2” of water in the basement to boot. 

Our place in Vermont got some snow but not as much from what I can tell on the cameras. And it’s mostly melted there too now. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

About the same here in Boston Metro. We got 6” or so in Winchester. But then a super freak rain storm can through Tuesday night and melted everything. It left a 1/2” of water in the basement to boot. 

Our place in Vermont got some snow but not as much from what I can tell on the cameras. And it’s mostly melted there too now. 

Quality humblebrag right here.  Well played.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love how the NWS issues alerts for different parts of the US compared to my region which is grand forks ND. We’re not in any kind of wind chill warning, watch, advisory today since it’s only supposed to be -25 wind chill today. Western ND has warnings because it’ll be -36.

Most of the plains has one because it’ll be -5.

Fargo? Maybe put a sweater on under a light jacket and you’ll be alright

Love how the NWS issues alerts for different parts of the US compared to my region which is grand forks ND. We’re not in any kind of wind chill warning, watch, advisory today since it’s only supposed to be -25 wind chill today. Western ND has warnings because it’ll be -36.

Don't forget to bring the Busch Light in from the garage.  (If you know, you know.)

And can we start making fun of Texas and their 3rd world power grid?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I feel like we get advisories we shouldn't all the time.  If it gets down to 0 we get a "life threatening cold alert".  If it gets over 90 we get a "heat warning advisory".

It's Iowa.  We get well below 0 every winter and well above 90 every summer.  We don't need advisories for either, and I'm frankly a tad insulted that NWS thinks we do.

• Haha 3

I feel like we get advisories we shouldn't all the time.  If it gets down to 0 we get a "life threatening cold alert".  If it gets over 90 we get a "heat warning advisory".
It's Iowa.  We get well below 0 every winter and well above 90 every summer.  We don't need advisories for either, and I'm frankly a tad insulted that NWS thinks we do.

“Layer up with mittens hat and scarf, exposed skin can get frost bite within minutes!!”

Talking to us like we’re children. Only time I’ve gotten close to frost bite was playing hockey on an outdoor park rink and my toes damn near froze off like 30 years ago. Other than that I don’t know anyone who has gotten it…unless you pass out outside then yea it’ll get ya

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

“Layer up with mittens hat and scarf, exposed skin can get frost bite within minutes!!”

Talking to us like we’re children. Only time I’ve gotten close to frost bite was playing hockey on an outdoor park rink and my toes damn near froze off like 30 years ago. Other than that I don’t know anyone who has gotten it…unless you pass out outside then yea it’ll get ya

I got it once.  It was about -15/20 outside and we got called to a fire at an autobody shop.  It was full of all sorts of explosive flammable shit and cars, so we set up outside and just poured water on the fucker at enough of a distance to not really be warmed by the flame.  I was a rookie at the time and didn't get to go in either.  A little patch of exposed skin below my eye got it, and it was probably 2 years before it finally cleared up completely, but it was never that severe.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Bingo.  My half brother lives near Dilworth, and they came through here around New Years, so we got to hang out a bit.  And as we often do, we laughed relaying stories of how we deal with cold.  He has a light jacket -- you know, the kind that lots of folks around here have as their main winter jacket, the kind of thing you wear when the temp dips below 40.  He said that if he's going to the store or something, even if it's 0 outside, that's all he wears.  He says "I walk 20 feet to get in my car.  I walk another 100 feet to and from my car when I get to the store.  Why in the hell would I bother putting on a parka and shit?"  He's not an idiot -- he drives a lot for work, and carries a full set of survival gear (blankets, candles, etc.) in his car.  But for ordinary walking around stuff?  Nah, man, that shitty Kirkland jacket your old man got a few years ago will do just fine.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, but didn't you hear? There are 3 1/2 million people affected by this alert! 3 1/2 MILLION!!

Hadta retie a load on the pickup onetime.  Stepped out of the cab "real quick" and fixed the straps.  Got back in the pickup and my hands started itching and swell up.  Took 10 minutes to get frostbite on three fingers.  Lost skin down to about the last layer.  Then it grew back and I'm fine.  No loss of feeling or anything.  Lucky.  Stupid.

FWIW, the NWS was likely telling me not to go outside without gloves.  Well I showed them I guess.

Bingo.  My half brother lives near Dilworth, and they came through here around New Years, so we got to hang out a bit.  And as we often do, we laughed relaying stories of how we deal with cold.  He has a light jacket -- you know, the kind that lots of folks around here have as their main winter jacket, the kind of thing you wear when the temp dips below 40.  He said that if he's going to the store or something, even if it's 0 outside, that's all he wears.  He says "I walk 20 feet to get in my car.  I walk another 100 feet to and from my car when I get to the store.  Why in the hell would I bother putting on a parka and shit?"  He's not an idiot -- he drives a lot for work, and carries a full set of survival gear (blankets, candles, etc.) in his car.  But for ordinary walking around stuff?  Nah, man, that shitty Kirkland jacket your old man got a few years ago will do just fine.

Ha yep.

Cool fact: I can see dilworths water tower from my patio door. The key to it is to not spend much time outside. If you can avoid that you won’t get as cold.

I do get cold in Texas or Florida if it dips below 50. Our minds psychologically think we’re supposed to be warm and if it isn’t, it’s just as miserable as 30 below. Me and a buddy went to the 2010 aggy thanksgiving game. Froze my ass off and had to borrow blankets from a nearby fan. Will never forget the tailgate when the fans are all “cold fronts here!!” And the wind picked up with the temp dropping like 15-20 degrees instantly. I didn’t pack for that

But we’re also in tshirts if it’s 35-40 in March after a February of bullshit so yea. It’s a mind game. But we freeze in October if it goes from 70s/80s to 30s in a matter of days

The coldest I've been in a long time was pig hunting in Denison one winter.  40 degrees in the middle of the night and I walked back to the pickup for the arctic Carharts.  You're sitting REAL still and your metabolism goes to zero.  Body can't keep itself warm or something.

• Hook 'Em 2

Your half brother is my kind of guy.

I was in Minnesota a few weeks ago for 2 days - it was like 15 degrees and all I wore was a long sleeve shirt.

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Unfortunately, not everyone is as smart/sensible as you are, plus there are people who may be new to a community and just don't know. In the old days, they'd talk about greenhorns who'd get lost on the prairies during blizzards because they didn't know the tips and tricks for how to navigate when there were no trees or other landmarks. As time passed, those tips and tricks evolved into modern day admonitions for how not to freeze to death if your car got stuck, etc. Things that you don't perhaps ever think of because it was something you learned over time. Same thing with people who don't consider their hydration when going camping or hiking in Big Bend or any safety precaution that someone raised in the hotter climes would seemingly 'just know.'

Since I'd been raised in a climate where winter temps dropped below freezing, there was often snow, and the area had actual 'seasons,' I figured I knew the score. Then we moved way up north and it was a different scene. My coat was not warm enough for days when the high was a negative number. When I had to crawl into the car from the hatchback because all the other doors were frozen shut and I needed to get to work. And it was a stick shift and I was pregnant. (Don't even try and picture that one). When I high-centered the car on an ice boulder the snowplow had created because I was trying to turn into our driveway and now had two rear wheels airborne. That one took two neighbors and a pickaxe to resolve and my explanation to my bewildered spouse when he arrived home after it was all done about "I just thought if I floored it, the car would go over it like a mogul." Ah, good times, good times. Just be patient with the noobs. We learn eventually.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Burt said:

Our electricity has been out for 45 minutes (no heat), and this is our current weather....

Screenshot_20240113_005429_Weather.thumb.jpg.2251229b589691b443f19e2d08d8e938.jpg

That suuucks.  Hopefully it's back by now.  We lost our heat in similar weather for 4 days a few years ago. Luckily we had power though.  Our gas fireplace and a few space heaters made it manageable.