2022 PGA Championship at Southern Hills

44 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Maybe he just doesn’t give a fuck today and is going through the motions in a meaningless round.

Nope...  Not the case for Spieth -- he's still searching for his game today.

Jordan just birdied #13, but hit a poor approach right again on #14.  Was vocally angry with another poor iron shot that flaired right...

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Nice tee shot from speith

Yeah great tee shot almost an ace on par 4 #17 hole...

Dang -- Spieth followed with horrible birdie putt miss from inside 3ft.  Didn't even touch hole -- just yanked it left

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Spieth is still fucked in the head.  

-1 thru 17 holes, and gave up at least 3-4 strokes due to mental mistakes.  Crazy how good today's round could have been if Spieth was just a little sharper especially putting...  

Edited by LTtxfan
damn autocorrect

Spieth exudes a victim mentality a lot of the time.   He’s often griping about a sudden wind gust, a bad bounce, a deceptive read, etc.   I don’t know where this came from but it’s not fun to watch and it’s not going to win him many tournaments.  It’s like he’s expecting bad shots and when they happen  is ready to pin them on something.  Just shut up and own your game.  If you’re not making putts, you have to just keep grinding.   I know this from my zero years experience as a pro and coach.  But it’s what I would tell him if I was his coach. 

31 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Spieth exudes a victim mentality a lot of the time.   He’s often griping about a sudden wind gust, a bad bounce, a deceptive read, etc.   I don’t know where this came from but it’s not fun to watch and it’s not going to win him many tournaments.  It’s like he’s expecting bad shots and when they happen  is ready to pin them on something.  Just shut up and own your game.  If you’re not making putts, you have to just keep grinding.   I know this from my zero years experience as a pro and coach.  But it’s what I would tell him if I was his coach. 

First time watching Jordan, huh?

Mito would be the most random major winner in a long time. Trying to think of other recent ones. Feel like you have to go back to like Darren Clarke at the open. (I mean I guess Phil last year was pretty crazy but it's Phil).

Pereira is 100th in the world with 0 tour wins.

And he had never made the cut at a major before this... 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I disagree. As soon as you start believing your swing is the problem, especially mid round of a major, you're uber fucked. Middle of a round is not the time to lose faith in your process. 

Jordan has commented on a few occasions what he admires about Tiger is he always stays positive about his process during a round. Ya, he hits bad shots and reacts but he never berates himself or loses belief in his process. I think Jordan tries hard to emulate that.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mito would be the most random major winner in a long time. Trying to think of other recent ones. Feel like you have to go back to like Darren Clarke at the open. (I mean I guess Phil last year was pretty crazy but it's Phil).

And he had never made the cut at a major before this... 

I think this major in particular just produces some strange winners. Looking like this year may be no different. 

Masters has had some head scratchers, too.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

• Gary Woodland  (US Open) 
  • Shane Lowry      (The OPEN)

Also 2016 was a weird year for major winners except for DJ

• Danny Willett       (Masters)
  • Jimmy Walker      (PGA)
  • Dustin Johnson  (US Open)
  • Henrik Stenson  (The OPEN)

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I don't think any of those are that comparable (certainly not Lowry, DJ, Henrik or Jimmy). Maybe Willett. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Probably not as recent as you had in mind, but Shaun Micheel winning the 2003 PGA came out of nowhere. I looked it up and he was ranked 169th in the world and that victory would be the only PGA tour victory of his career. 

Just now, Blotto said:

Probably not as recent as you had in mind, but Shaun Micheel winning the 2003 PGA came out of nowhere. I looked it up and he was ranked 169th in the world and that victory would be the only PGA tour victory of his career. 

No but I mean that's my point. You have to go back to names like that.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Stenson was top 10 in the world and pretty close to peak of his career in 2016 - he was a proper major winner. Willet and Walker are definitely weird, though Lyme disease really fucked Walker's career.

2 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Stenson was top 10 in the world and pretty close to peak of his career in 2016 - he was a proper major winner. Willet and Walker are definitely weird, though Lyme disease really fucked Walker's career.

Jimmy had 5 wins on tour and 3 major top 10s. I don't think that one was that crazy. Willett had one top 10 at a British and 4 Euro wins (and that's still his only win on your). A little closer to this. 

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That Stenson/Mickelson battle in the final round was legendary.  If you had told Phil "you are starting the final round one shot back and will shoot 65", he'd have bet $50M on himself to win. 

He ended up 3 back of Stenson and 11 ahead of 3rd place.  Unbelievable how they both had lapped the field.  

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Y.E. Yang  2009 PGA Championship winner

Makes me think of...

Wile E. Coyote

OIP.CGv3YbaSk3ACQzJegBC01AHaHk?w=215&h=2

Edited by LTtxfan