The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

I mean, my post you quoted I said it needs new running gear. What happened is the definition of a soft grounding with a boat that size. New props, shafts, rudder, trim tabs, etc. is a dent in their annual maintenance budget. Plus it’s insured. No big deal at all. Fire suppression system may be a bigger issue depending on if there was actually a fire or not.

Yeah actually that's my bad.   I just interpreted your post to mean there's no serious damage and he'll be heading back out to Abaco in a week.  That boat is going to be in the yard for a bit.

I do wonder about the insurance though, it's negligence that boat ended up on the beach.  Did the Capt or owner say how it happened?   Because my guess is that someone set the auto pilot coming back from the Bahamas and fell asleep or was otherwise distracted.   No way that boat ends up on the beach with someone competent and/or paying attention.

6 hours ago, locodos said:

Yeah actually that's my bad.   I just interpreted your post to mean there's no serious damage and he'll be heading back out to Abaco in a week.  That boat is going to be in the yard for a bit.

I do wonder about the insurance though, it's negligence that boat ended up on the beach.  Did the Capt or owner say how it happened?   Because my guess is that someone set the auto pilot coming back from the Bahamas and fell asleep or was otherwise distracted.   No way that boat ends up on the beach with someone competent and/or paying attention.

Heard it was being delivered to new owner.  Wonder how that works...

On 11/7/2023 at 8:30 AM, justhookit said:

Hate seeing that. Fortunately that soft sand on the beach won’t really cause very much damage. New running gear and clean out the intakes and it’ll be good to go.

Been following this on Qualified Captain.  Bent rudder and props.  Caused by fire suppression system shutting the engines down.  

57 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Been following this on Qualified Captain.  Bent rudder and props.  Caused by fire suppression system shutting the engines down.  

Did fire suppression kill the anchor too?   Because if you're not taking on water and you are adrift and nearing (lets say within 1/4 mile) the shore, you drop anchor and wait for Boat US/Sea Tow.

Like I said, that boat doesn't hit the beach intact with anyone competent at the helm.

27 minutes ago, locodos said:

Did fire suppression kill the anchor too?   Because if you're not taking on water and you are adrift and nearing (lets say within 1/4 mile) the shore, you drop anchor and wait for Boat US/Sea Tow.

Like I said, that boat doesn't hit the beach intact with anyone competent at the helm.

How much experience owning or running these kinds of boats do you have? 

Anchor windlass will not operate since the fire suppression system killed its power source. Good luck getting someone up on the bow to pull the pin to manually drop in rough seas without getting someone seriously injured. If they even had time for that. Soft sand with that size boat you’re going to have a tough time even holding anchor if you do get it to drop. Unless you have some facts not in this thread then questioning the competence of anyone involved here is really reaching.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, justhookit said:

How much experience owning or running these kinds of boats do you have? 

Anchor windlass will not operate since the fire suppression system killed its power source. Good luck getting someone up on the bow to pull the pin to manually drop in rough seas without getting someone seriously injured. If they even had time for that. Soft sand with that size boat you’re going to have a tough time even holding anchor if you do get it to drop. Unless you have some facts not in this thread then questioning the competence of anyone involved here is really reaching.

Well,

20+ years ago when I got my 6pack & tow endorsement I already had 25 years of boating experience.  Small sail boats to 45' powerboats and everything in between.   Never owned a boat that size, but the LOA isn't the issue.  Clearly they got an anchor out whether they drug it ashore or panicked in the breakers and dropped it (more likely).

I also know that area well.  There are several reefs the furthest out being ~120' on the deep side.  Heavy surf would crumble on the 2nd reef and wouldn't break until 1st reef.  It's runs from ~90 on the back side to ~35 ish at front of the 1st reef.  It would have been much calmer there, It's sand bottom but with enough scope they should have held.  Unless they were running after a cold front and we haven't had a strong one yet, the surf there is going to be < 10'.   Hell they would have snagged the 1st reef on the way in.   They had time to get hooked up.  

Also this was Delray beach not the Horn of Africa one call to Seatow or BoatUS and I would expect the response time to be <30 mins.  Those boys sit in the inlets waiting.

But I wasn't there, I don't know the sea conditions, I don't know what equipment they did have at their disposal.  But for damned sure they should have had more than 1 anchor and the ability to use it with out power or a cell phone!

https://www.usharbors.com/harbor/florida/delray-beach-icww-fl/map/

If it was rough out that makes it worse imho, If I'm running a boat in sporty conditions I'm keeping my distance from land.   Maybe they were picking their way through an inlet and shit went sideways at the worst possible time IDK

Edited by locodos

19 hours ago, locodos said:

Well,

20+ years ago when I got my 6pack & tow endorsement I already had 25 years of boating experience.  Small sail boats to 45' powerboats and everything in between.   Never owned a boat that size, but the LOA isn't the issue.  Clearly they got an anchor out whether they drug it ashore or panicked in the breakers and dropped it (more likely).

I also know that area well.  There are several reefs the furthest out being ~120' on the deep side.  Heavy surf would crumble on the 2nd reef and wouldn't break until 1st reef.  It's runs from ~90 on the back side to ~35 ish at front of the 1st reef.  It would have been much calmer there, It's sand bottom but with enough scope they should have held.  Unless they were running after a cold front and we haven't had a strong one yet, the surf there is going to be < 10'.   Hell they would have snagged the 1st reef on the way in.   They had time to get hooked up.  

Also this was Delray beach not the Horn of Africa one call to Seatow or BoatUS and I would expect the response time to be <30 mins.  Those boys sit in the inlets waiting.

But I wasn't there, I don't know the sea conditions, I don't know what equipment they did have at their disposal.  But for damned sure they should have had more than 1 anchor and the ability to use it with out power or a cell phone!

https://www.usharbors.com/harbor/florida/delray-beach-icww-fl/map/

If it was rough out that makes it worse imho, If I'm running a boat in sporty conditions I'm keeping my distance from land.   Maybe they were picking their way through an inlet and shit went sideways at the worst possible time IDK

LMAO at a spare anchor and a cell phone.

I give up. You are correct it was incompetent idiots.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

If the boat ended up on the beach, someone fucked up, full stop. They are fortunate that it was the beach and not rocks.

From the THT thread it appears that the anchor seized and the sea tow assist vessel broke the lines. And also at least one other vessel refused to assist because of the depth and weather conditions.

9 minutes ago, justhookit said:

LMAO at a spare anchor and a cell phone.

I give up. You are correct it was incompetent idiots.

Time will tell, it's interesting that you seem to want this to be some fluke of nature or unforeseeable circumstance.  Let's revisit this when more information is out there or not.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

THT thread

Damn man, you get your news from the National Enquirer too?

At any rate, my BC is down there right now putting us together, and is really tight with a dude who runs a Viking 80 in WPB, will try to see what the word is.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Every time I do something in my little dinghy, I try to think through all the bad shit that could happen and have at least some sort of a plan.

I think the lesson here is you’re kidding yourself if you think you’ve considered all that could happen.

Correct. Wasn’t too many years ago a big SF ended up on a bar just outside the little jetties, heading to go out for a big tournament.  Can’t recall exactly what happened but something froze up or come loose and in a matter of seconds you’re on the hard.  Million things that can wrong, even with competent captains and crew. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:54 PM, locodos said:

Update.  Apparently they did try to deploy the anchor but the devil claw was still attached.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzeSfcNpQiD/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

So I take in the boat for an oil change and impeller replacement and get this text:

Hello Mr. Blacklab this is Kevin with ____. the services on your boat are completed. While our tech was running the boat up to temp, he shifted the boat into gear as a normal check and noticed as big vibration and determined the shaft is bent. He has put in the work order a job to diag underwater gear for damage. Needing approval to move forward. I will email you the work order so you can see all the tech notes.    

Boat was fine last time we were in the lake a few weeks ago. I don’t remember hitting anything and nothing happened dragging the boat home or to the shop. My first instinct is they damaged it or it’s a scam to get more money out of me.  Any advice?

On 11/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, blacklab said:

So I take in the boat for an oil change and impeller replacement and get this text:

Hello Mr. Blacklab this is Kevin with ____. the services on your boat are completed. While our tech was running the boat up to temp, he shifted the boat into gear as a normal check and noticed as big vibration and determined the shaft is bent. He has put in the work order a job to diag underwater gear for damage. Needing approval to move forward. I will email you the work order so you can see all the tech notes.    

Boat was fine last time we were in the lake a few weeks ago. I don’t remember hitting anything and nothing happened dragging the boat home or to the shop. My first instinct is they damaged it or it’s a scam to get more money out of me.  Any advice?

Why are you letting Kevin touch your boat?  Was the Derrel on leave that day? 

I'd definitely get a second opinion, and get in there and have them show you in person the issue they're seeing.  Do a quick visual on the prop and shaft seals, and make sure they didn't attach some fishing weight to the prop or something stupid like that.  And check inside the boat, too, and make sure there's not something fishy under the engine cover.

On 11/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, tbone_ said:

How well do you know that shop? Trailer it to a second shop once you get the estimate?

I've used them once before and they seemed fine, don't remember anything odd that time

3 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Why are you letting Kevin touch your boat?  Was the Derrel on leave that day? 

I'd definitely get a second opinion, and get in there and have them show you in person the issue they're seeing.  Do a quick visual on the prop and shaft seals, and make sure they didn't attach some fishing weight to the prop or something stupid like that.  And check inside the boat, too, and make sure there's not something fishy under the engine cover.

Thanks, this is what I was thinking along with a "how could this happen" type questioning. I know I haven't hit anything in quite a while, and don't see how sitting on a trailer for a couple of weeks and dragging it 5 miles down the road could bend a shaft.

Got a call from them today, not Kevin.

Went through the list of other stuff and then the last item mentions the "odd noise coming out the back when running". Didn't think it was a big deal but just wanted to tell me so I watch/listen for it next time we go out. Slightly different description from the previous. 

They did tell me my air filter was dirty and could replace it for $200 for the part and a half hour of labor. (rate: $165/hr).  I told them I think I can figure out how to replace it. 

12 minutes ago, blacklab said:

They did tell me my air filter was dirty and could replace it for $200 for the part and a half hour of labor. (rate: $165/hr).  I told them I think I can figure out how to replace it. 

That's rich.  They took it apart and reassembled it to tell you it's dirty, but want to charge you to do the same thing over again...  That should be a parts only charge, and roll the labor in with the rest of the work.

• 3 weeks later...

So been following this kid on YouTube.  19 yo out of Hawaii that solo'd on his Nor'Sea 27 from Hawaii yo Tahiti and is now bouncing around French Polynesia.  I think he's planning on keeping going as long as he can hold out.  Pretty impressive.  Even though I had a lot of experience at 19, I was way too much of a dumbass to EVER consider something like this.  You get the impression from him, though, that while he knows what he's doing, he has a certain blissful ignorance that allows him to just roll with the punches.  

https://www.youtube.com/@garrettsadventure

• Like 2

Had a nice race down in South Florida last Friday, Miami to Palm Beach. Middling result but was a nice day at least.

There was a pretty good photog on the finish end getting shots.

2023-Wirth-M-Monroe-OYFD-087a0114.jpg

2023-Wirth-M-Monroe-OYFD-img-0131.jpg

Also a buddy of mine was doing the start on the live stream. Gets interesting around 1 minute mark.

https://www.facebook.com/sorcsailing/videos/3824543584498949

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

Had a nice race down in South Florida last Friday, Miami to Palm Beach. Middling result but was a nice day at least.

There was a pretty good photog on the finish end getting shots.

2023-Wirth-M-Monroe-OYFD-087a0114.jpg

2023-Wirth-M-Monroe-OYFD-img-0131.jpg

Also a buddy of mine was doing the start on the live stream. Gets interesting around 1 minute mark.

https://www.facebook.com/sorcsailing/videos/3824543584498949

Why were you so late to the start?  Maybe let someone from quantum drive next time.

In all seriousness, how do you practice the downwind start?  I've practiced upwind starts every way known to man.  The only downwind starts I've ever been on were clusterfucks for all involved.

1 minute ago, CoTex said:

Why were you so late to the start?  Maybe let someone from quantum drive next time.

In all seriousness, how do you practice the downwind start?  I've practiced upwind starts every way known to man.  The only downwind starts I've ever been on were clusterfucks for all involved.

We actually weren't late enough, we planned on being 20 secs or so late. Thankfully we were able to thread the needle as that shit was white knuckle for a minute. Everyone knew this start was gonna be a car crash at the boat end because of wind direction. We had several 70 footers in the class, plus two 52s, and we were sticking with the J2 to get height off the line for awhile before launching the A0. So the plan was sag late and come of the line clear behind as those guys would roll us regardless. About 2 minutes to go it looked like those guys were dicking each other at the leeward end so we kind of powered up. Those guys ended up getting down the line a bit further than it seemed like they would and made it a bit hairy. I knew the HH42 was going to bear off though, he had his zero teed up, the 52 was just holding him up. Once the gun went off they were all heading down. Still maybe cleared the outboards by a couple feet at 10 knots lol.

My buddy shooting the video said he told them they should have made the pin the windward end of the line, that would have been a lot safer, you could bail out if you didn't make it. I bet they at least put a little red ball out as a keep off next time though...

2 hours ago, G650 said:

We actually weren't late enough, we planned on being 20 secs or so late. Thankfully we were able to thread the needle as that shit was white knuckle for a minute. Everyone knew this start was gonna be a car crash at the boat end because of wind direction. We had several 70 footers in the class, plus two 52s, and we were sticking with the J2 to get height off the line for awhile before launching the A0. So the plan was sag late and come of the line clear behind as those guys would roll us regardless. About 2 minutes to go it looked like those guys were dicking each other at the leeward end so we kind of powered up. Those guys ended up getting down the line a bit further than it seemed like they would and made it a bit hairy. I knew the HH42 was going to bear off though, he had his zero teed up, the 52 was just holding him up. Once the gun went off they were all heading down. Still maybe cleared the outboards by a couple feet at 10 knots lol.

My buddy shooting the video said he told them they should have made the pin the windward end of the line, that would have been a lot safer, you could bail out if you didn't make it. I bet they at least put a little red ball out as a keep off next time though...

One of your squad waved at the camera.  Clearly that guy wasn’t focused on winning and was just dicking off.  I would like an open tryout to compete for his spot.  

I’ll leave that fucker in my dust like an fsu team on its third string quarterback.

Oh, and if there had been a red ball out there odds are high you would have taken it for a tow at 10kts.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 9:04 AM, tbone_ said:

I've never been in this particular type of boat scene, but it looks like a pretty awesome time.   

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, RMac5 said:

On 7/28/2023 at 5:10 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 7/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, RMac5 said:

That is dead sexy.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:35 PM, justhookit said:

Ha, that’s one of the boats I looked at. Doesn’t come with the girl though.

it’s got too many hours on it for me. The boat not the girl.

I was looking back searching for an old post and stumbled across these posts. It ended up being the best available option in my size/price range. Forgot there was a blonde woman in the sales video. I’ve been staying and fishing on the boat for over 2 weeks now. Still no sign of the blonde. Currently waiting on a new part to be shipped from the states because steering went out. Love boats!

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

I was looking back searching for an old post and stumbled across these posts. It ended up being the best available option in my size/price range. Forgot there was a blonde woman in the sales video. I’ve been staying and fishing on the boat for over 2 weeks now. Still no sign of the blonde. Currently waiting on a new part to be shipped from the states because steering went out. Love boats!

So that's yours now?  Very nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

not sure what was wrong with me last year, we didn't sail much at all. anyway, just fixed that. we don't own the boat it's more of a boat club but I've put 6 dates on the calendar starting mid-February. they also have an upgrade membership that would get me a further discount as well if I start booking more.

so my preferred boat (they don't have luxury sailboats) is a 35 foot, 2017, dual helm, Beneteau, gently used.

2024 we are getting back to it.

still have the surf boat but I'm getting a little more chill as I peek over the horizon at 50 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

not sure what was wrong with me last year, we didn't sail much at all. anyway, just fixed that. we don't own the boat it's more of a boat club but I've put 6 dates on the calendar starting mid-February. they also have an upgrade membership that would get me a further discount as well if I start booking more.

so my preferred boat (they don't have luxury sailboats) is a 35 foot, 2017, dual helm, Beneteau, gently used.

2024 we are getting back to it.

still have the surf boat but I'm getting a little more chill as I peek over the horizon at 50 years.

A pirate looks at 50. ❤️

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:28 PM, Chewbacca said:

So that's yours now?  Very nice.

Yeah, in the end it was a no-brainer. The boat is fully loaded with every possible option and it was located in Costa Rica already. Really happy with how it all worked out.

Also if anyone is ever in need of a boat broker for buying or selling, I can’t recommend Galati enough. https://www.galatiyachts.com
This is the third time I’ve used them (2 purchases 1 sale) and there’s no one else in the industry that can compare. As I mentioned above we had a steering issue and couldn’t source a replacement part that would ship quickly. One call to Galati and 30 minutes later they not only had the part on the way but found it for about 1500 less than what we were able to find on our own.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, in the end it was a no-brainer. The boat is fully loaded with every possible option and it was located in Costa Rica already. Really happy with how it all worked out.

Also if anyone is ever in need of a boat broker for buying or selling, I can’t recommend Galati enough. https://www.galatiyachts.com
This is the third time I’ve used them (2 purchases 1 sale) and there’s no one else in the industry that can compare. As I mentioned above we had a steering issue and couldn’t source a replacement part that would ship quickly. One call to Galati and 30 minutes later they not only had the part on the way but found it for about 1500 less than what we were able to find on our own.

You are living the life, my friend.

• 2 weeks later...