The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

I rarely get into it on social media and frankly thought this was a Qualified Capitan  warning, when I realized it wasn’t and the actual dad was posting -  bragging about surfing with his 20 week old in his hands - I couldn’t help myself. Holy shit guys don’t fucking take a NEW BORN on a surf board. We all bite it from time to time. He falls hard that child is in deep doo doo. Talk about a very bad idea. He doesn’t even look like that great of a surfer either. Jesus. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvVVRL2AoVV/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by troph
  • Rage+1 3

Ok I woke up like this the other day

d9c4b958f717ba9ef1edd2295d982a62.jpg

So talk to me about buying a boat.

Spare me the discussion on whether I should or shouldn’t though. That’s not the point. Let’s assume I’m gonna do it so now I’m just trying to get smart on how to go about it.

Backstory is I’ve never owned my own boat. But was on various boats plenty as a kid. In my late 20s good buddy had a 21 footer open bow we took to Lake Lewisville every weekend for about 3 years. Then he graduated to a 32’ Sundancer he kept at Highport at Texoma. Those were fun weekends. I’m generally familiar with how things work etc. but obviously a lot has changed since then.

Month or two ago different buddy of mine invited me and my daughter out to his house at Lake Havasu and we spent the weekend on the lake with him and his daughter. Me and the kiddo really enjoyed it. Now that I am divorced from funzilla it has occurred to me that I can make unilateral decisions on fun stuff to do. Kiddo is 16 and we’ve talked about it and it seems like something we would both enjoy together while we can before she’s gone.

So I think I’m going to get a boat. What I think I want is a wet slip, preferably covered. Of course those all have a waiting list at the Phoenix area lakes, along with uncovered wet slips, dry storage at the lakes, covered storage away from the lakes, and dry storage away from the lakes. There is literally no place to put a boat today. But that’s ok I’m on a bunch of waiting lists now and I’ll find something.

Budget is in the $30-$50k range. And I want something comfortable and roomy, for my daughter and her friends, GF’s daughters and their friends (no pics, fuckos), and other adults. So not a fucking jet boat or any type of speed boat. Bimini top/partial shade is a must. Hard core wake surfing not anticipated to be a thing, but want to be able to pull tubes, wakeboards, etc. Probably don’t need a cabin cruiser because I’d rather have the room up top and in the open. At that price seems like there are a number of older (some with pretty low hours) open bow, deck boat types in the 25-28’ range that look fun.

Kind of thinking something like this:

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2008-chaparral-284-sunesta-8749979/
But you don’t want a salt water boat, correct? Or is that not a thing anymore?

This doesn’t have to be the boat of my dreams, just needs to be clean, functional, and reliable. And not look completely dorky if possible. Idea is to try it out for a while. If we like it and use it might trade up or it might end up in Havasu with a lake house.

I have a truck that is rated to tow 13,000 pounds so I could drag something around but as stated above would prefer to leave it at the lake. There are three within an hour of my house that would be convenient for now.

Ok so now I’m ready for everyone to drop their knowledge on me. What to look for, what to stay away from, what to expect, dumb shit new boat owners do that I should not do, etc etc etc. School me up. I’m all ears. Thanks in advance.

Go!

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

25-28’

Every foot of boat makes a big difference in its overall size.  Beam, freeboard and draft will likely change significantly between 25 and 28 feet boats.  Larger boat is a steeper learning curve with docks, trailer loading/unloading... etc.

Hard core wake surfing not anticipated to be a thing, but want to be able to pull tubes, wakeboards, etc.

An older(2004-2010)  v-drive wakeboard boat would fit the bill well for price and tubes/wakeboarding.  Also have plenty of room to move around.  Wakeboats increased in size exponentially with the wakesurfing craze.  Big boats from 2008 or so are tiny compared to small wakeboard boats now.  The prices reflect that.

inboard outboard boats have the additional maintence of the lower unit and also associated risks of mechanical failure of lower unit.  They will never perform as well for wakesports as a v-drive.  Salt water boat means closed cooling.  Not necessary in fresh water lakes and rivers.  

dumb shit new boat owners do that I should not do, etc etc etc.

Have a deliberate plan for boat launch and pick up.  Respect other boaters time at the boat ramp.  Have your boat ready to drive off the trailer before you back down the ramp.  If the boat needs to be at the dock while you back up, or park, the trailer for the love of god don't park the boat in the trailer loading slots.  

• Like 1

I have a 2007 21' Malibu Wakesetter and it pretty much checks all your boxes.

Other than a couple of plastic pieces breaking on the cooling return line it's been pretty solid. You should be able to get one in your price range. I paid $30k for mine a few years ago, have seen plenty in your range from around that timeframe.

Runs a chevy 350 which is the one engine GM made that I haven't had many issues with in this or the chevy tahoe's I had.

I bought it figuring if I liked it and the kids enjoyed it I'd upgrade in a few years, but after seeing all the issues my nieghbor has with the electronics on his 2020 Malibu I'm just going to keep this till the kids graduate high school in a few years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recs. I did not realize the late aughts vdrives had such a big beam. Def makes a difference. Those do look like they would fit the bill.

BL looks like you got a good deal on your 07 21 at $30k. Quick survey on boat trader says around those years 21s and 23s are all priced in the low 40s.

Couple of questions…

Do these boats typically go for list price or should you expect to be able to deal?

How many hours is too many on the motor?

Is leaving a boat in a wet slip bad for it? Is it worth the convenience of not having to trailer it back and forth?

Yeah, a neighbor was looking at a similar 2007 and asked me a bunch of questions a few months ago. The one he was looking at was $50k.

I bought mine at Texas Malibu and got them down from $33 to $30. It was in October so they were thinking if they didn't sell it to me it was probably going to sit there for 6 months.

I have 780 on mine, according to what I read when I bought this 900-1000 is probably too much and you may start seeing some issues.

When I first bought it I dreaded dragging it around and was looking for a slip. After getting the hang of backing it up I really don't mind doing it anymore. After watching a dude looking like a monkey fucking a football trying to get some big gas cans to his boat slip behind his $10M house I thought, "hey maybe the trailer isn't so bad." Expect to drag gas cans or pay 2x as much for gas on the lake than you would going to a regular gas station.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Do these boats typically go for list price or should you expect to be able to deal?

COVID madness bumped up the market for all used boats.  There seems to be some relief, but elevated asking prices are still around.

How many hours is too many on the motor?

On a 10-15 year old inboard 500 hours plus shouldn’t be a concern.  1500 was always talked about as high miles in my recollection.  Very low hours on a 15 year old boat can create its own problems too.

Is leaving a boat in a wet slip bad for it? I

Osmotic blistering is an issue over time.  Also fouling from algae other gunk.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Ok I woke up like this the other day

d9c4b958f717ba9ef1edd2295d982a62.jpg

So talk to me about buying a boat.

Spare me the discussion on whether I should or shouldn’t though. That’s not the point. Let’s assume I’m gonna do it so now I’m just trying to get smart on how to go about it.

Backstory is I’ve never owned my own boat. But was on various boats plenty as a kid. In my late 20s good buddy had a 21 footer open bow we took to Lake Lewisville every weekend for about 3 years. Then he graduated to a 32’ Sundancer he kept at Highport at Texoma. Those were fun weekends. I’m generally familiar with how things work etc. but obviously a lot has changed since then.

Month or two ago different buddy of mine invited me and my daughter out to his house at Lake Havasu and we spent the weekend on the lake with him and his daughter. Me and the kiddo really enjoyed it. Now that I am divorced from funzilla it has occurred to me that I can make unilateral decisions on fun stuff to do. Kiddo is 16 and we’ve talked about it and it seems like something we would both enjoy together while we can before she’s gone.

So I think I’m going to get a boat. What I think I want is a wet slip, preferably covered. Of course those all have a waiting list at the Phoenix area lakes, along with uncovered wet slips, dry storage at the lakes, covered storage away from the lakes, and dry storage away from the lakes. There is literally no place to put a boat today. But that’s ok I’m on a bunch of waiting lists now and I’ll find something.

Budget is in the $30-$50k range. And I want something comfortable and roomy, for my daughter and her friends, GF’s daughters and their friends (no pics, fuckos), and other adults. So not a fucking jet boat or any type of speed boat. Bimini top/partial shade is a must. Hard core wake surfing not anticipated to be a thing, but want to be able to pull tubes, wakeboards, etc. Probably don’t need a cabin cruiser because I’d rather have the room up top and in the open. At that price seems like there are a number of older (some with pretty low hours) open bow, deck boat types in the 25-28’ range that look fun.

Kind of thinking something like this:

This doesn’t have to be the boat of my dreams, just needs to be clean, functional, and reliable. And not look completely dorky if possible. Idea is to try it out for a while. If we like it and use it might trade up or it might end up in Havasu with a lake house.

I have a truck that is rated to tow 13,000 pounds so I could drag something around but as stated above would prefer to leave it at the lake. There are three within an hour of my house that would be convenient for now.

Ok so now I’m ready for everyone to drop their knowledge on me. What to look for, what to stay away from, what to expect, dumb shit new boat owners do that I should not do, etc etc etc. School me up. I’m all ears. Thanks in advance.

Go!

Don't let this interfere with the guitar budget

• Like 1

I don’t know what differences there may be with the Sunscape badge versus the Wakesetter badge.  I believe they are the same mold(hull shape).  I would research that on the internet.

If same hull as Wakesetter that seems pretty reasonable.  Based on the exterior conditions it appears well taken care of.

Beyond general condition and motor performance

Arrange a lake test. Be there at initial start up for the day.  Check the color of the fluids(motor, v-drive, transmission).  Check the cleanliness of the bilge, it shouldn’t be oily.  Check the ski pylon sturdiness, it shouldn’t budge with a good push/pull.  Check for smooth operation of steering wheel and throttle.

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

COVID madness bumped up the market for all used boats.  There seems to be some relief, but elevated asking prices are still around.

On a 10-15 year old inboard 500 hours plus shouldn’t be a concern.  1500 was always talked about as high miles in my recollection.  Very low hours on a 15 year old boat can create its own problems too.

Osmotic blistering is an issue over time.  Also fouling from algae other gunk.

Zebra mussels - you need to lift it out of the water. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah if you get a slip on the water I'd definitely make sure you have a hoist.

We have ours in drystack storage and it's worked well for us.  Call about an hour ahead and they have the boat in the water waiting when we get there.  Leave it at the end of the day and they put it away.

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What should this boat be worth? Looks nice...

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2006-malibu-sunscape-23-lsv-8951683/

What additional questions should I ask the guy?

Personally, hard pass. They are asking Wakesetter pricing for a Sunscape and hoping they get it. It’s been a while since I kept up with older v drives, but the Sunscape likely sits on their Diamond Hull which is a longer version of their old slalom hull with modifications. It has no following to justify that pricing on an ‘06.

I’m a wakeboat guy through and through, have had quite a few across multiple brands and from every decade since the 90’s at this point. You need a better idea of what you want to do with a boat and what the water is like. Wakeboats aren’t good for cruising, they aren’t good for rough water (especially older ones), they aren’t good for pulling into a beach and hanging out, etc. What they are good for is moving max people, being easy to work on, versatile for different water sports, etc but they are ultimately designed for specific uses and if your use doesn’t line up then there are better options.

There is nothing wrong with I/O’s if you want to ride around and pull a tube occasionally. You could find a 24 foot Cobalt in you range that will hold it’s value like a wakeboat. If I’m going wetslip only, I’m buying a pontoon and never looking back just for the record. Tilt the motor up and I only have to worry about cleaning aluminum tubes occasionally. It’s a floating dock that will carry everything you would ever want. My older kids prefer the pontoon and jet ski’s at this point which is why I’m out of the wake game at this point until grandkids come along. Severely herniating two discs on a board last year helped that decision along as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If you get stuck on a wakeboat, something like this would be a much better buy than the Malibu. Whatever you do, get it inspected and there is always room to negotiate.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Nautique-Super-Air-Nautique-230-for-sale-Montgomery-Texas-160732.aspx

Another decent buy if you could get it into the mid 30’s.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Supra-Launch-22SSV-for-sale-Crystal-Minnesota-160145.aspx

If you are going to go trailered option, get someone to go with you the first time and go during an off time. Bad things happen on a ramp when people get stressed. Wake boats also don’t steer in reverse which makes that whole process difficult until you get the hang of it, especially if wind/waves are involved. You can really f-up a wake boat in a trailering situation.

• Like 1

Sunscape apparently has a slightly different hull called the Diamond hull. Apparently supposedly at little easier to maneuver and the boat could be equipped with the Wakesetter stuff like tower, ballast, wedge etc which this one seems to have. Also supposed to allow for a little more room up top for some reason.

Review here says it’s plenty fine for wakeboarding

https://www.wakeboardingmag.com/blog/boats/2006/01/01/malibu-sunscape-23-lsv-2006/

Malibu discussion board folks are mixed. Wakesetter owners say get the VLX hull. Sunscape owners seems to love their Sunscapes.

Thanks Brew. Why are those boats better options than a Malibu?

Also what is this no steering in reverse stuff? That seems important.

And good points about practice. 100% my plan. First with someone knowledgeable then probably a bunch just on my own. I don’t really want to learning with a boat full of people or in a pressure situation.

Edit: missed your first post when I asked those questions. Thanks for the feedback.

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Inboards have a prop on a drive shaft that comes out of the bottom of the boat, and a rudder behind it.  Going forward, that rudder directs the water flow and changes direction left to right.  In reverse, the rudder is actually in front of the water flow and therefore far less effective.

Inboards actually have poor steering in all directions, compared to I/O or outboard.  That's one of the reasons they are not as easy or fun for cruising.  I agree with brew's evaluation above, if wakesurfing or wakeboarding aren't your primary concern, then an I/O runabout like a Cobalt might be a better fit for you.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

BUT... I'll also add... that most of the people I know with teenaged kids, who got an I/O because the water sports weren't the most important thing-- later find out that for their kids and their kids' friends, the water sports DO end up being pretty important, and so they end up landing in wakesurf boats ultimately, anyway.

I had two Cobalts over 25 years, but now that the kids are teenagers, we've got a Mastercraft X45 for water sports.

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

And good points about practice. 100% my plan. First with someone knowledgeable then probably a bunch just on my own. I don’t really want to learning with a boat full of people or in a pressure situation.

Edit: missed your first post when I asked those questions. Thanks for the feedback.

The Sunscape has the least desirable hull/following from a wake perspective assuming it has the Diamond Hull. If it has the wake hull, then you basically have a stripped down Wakesetter for more than a Wakesetter should go for. The inboard market is going to drop at some point, I would rather be in one of the desirable brand/models at the right price.

Wakeboats don’t steer in reverse. The prop is fixed, so they will pull slightly to one side based on the prop rotation, but you aren’t maneuvering in reverse.

There are a number of Cobalt 232’s out there for sub $40’s. Much better deals than that Monterrey.

https://boattrader.page.link/PLLq?mt=8

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

BUT... I'll also add... that most of the people I know with teenaged kids, who got an I/O because the water sports weren't the most important thing-- later find out that for their kids and their kids' friends, the water sports DO end up being pretty important, and so they end up landing in wakesurf boats ultimately, anyway.

I had two Cobalts over 25 years, but now that the kids are teenagers, we've got a Mastercraft X45 for water sports.

It’s all in what you want to do, but I will add that outside of surfing (which I still don’t get) you can do anything that most people want to do with a jet ski, pontoon, I/O, etc. especially if you are dealing with older teens with no past water time. They are going to want to hang out with their friends and get in a tube every once in a while. Even if they throw on a wakeboard, I can’t remember the last time I saw someone upside down or even going wake to wake outside of my dumbass on my last ride on a board. My nephews have been on boards since they were little, today they just want to ride the skate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

It’s all in what you want to do, but I will add that outside of surfing (which I still don’t get) you can do anything that most people want to do with a jet ski, pontoon, I/O, etc. especially if you are dealing with older teens with no past water time. They are going to want to hang out with their friends and get in a tube every once in a while. Even if they throw on a wakeboard, I can’t remember the last time I saw someone upside down or even going wake to wake outside of my dumbass on my last ride on a board. My nephews have been on boards since they were little, today they just want to ride the skate.

Definitely personal and anecdotal.  My kids (13 and 15) both love wakeboarding.  They like it better than surfing.  They're learning the tricks, love to jump, etc.  But that's just my own experience.  

Personally I love the driving experience of a large I/O like a Cobalt, that's the most fun for me.  I haven't wakeboarded in years, I've actually pulled out my old slalom more recently.  The wakeboat is of course a complete disaster for skiiing behind, so I only did that once, because my kids had never seen anyone ski on a slalom and didn't believe me when I told them I knew how. :)

Edited by utee94

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you want to blow the budget, cobalt has a i/o wake boat. 

image.thumb.png.4d213d1cc3b183013734ad4fc431d680.png

That’s a harder pass than the Sunscape. That goes in the same boat grouping as the 28 foot pontoon with twin 450R’s selling for $325k.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Definitely personal and anecdotal.  My kids (13 and 15) both love wakeboarding.  They like it better than surfing.  They're learning the tricks, love to jump, etc.  But that's just my own experience.  

Personally I love the driving experience of a large I/O like a Cobalt, that's the most fun for me.  I haven't wakeboarded in years, I've actually pulled out my old slalom more recently.  The wakeboat is of course a complete disaster for skiiing behind, so I only did that once, because my kids had never seen anyone ski on a slalom and didn't believe me when I told them I knew how. :)

Up until a few years ago, I kept a 93 MC205 just for that reason. We still had a course set up and my dad would run it every now and then and I would give it a go. Surgeries on both elbows later, and it got sold as well. Water sports are brutal on your body if you really go for it which is probably why my kids never did. At 44 I’ve had multiple blown ear drums, fractured eye socket, both elbows bad, blown knee, Achilles/ankle injuries, cracked ribs, and now this back deal I can’t get past which is worse than all the rest combined. I’m done, I’ll drive but I’m not getting back behind the boat ever again (maybe).

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Someone above mentioned too low of hours can be problematic. That red cobalt I linked above is a 2013 with only 55 hours. Is that too good to be true?

That was me.

If the boat got 5 hrs a year that's less concerning that 25,25,0,0,0,0......

Ask the seller.  Not sure how you could prove it either way.

13 hours ago, blacklab said:

When I first bought it I dreaded dragging it around and was looking for a slip. After getting the hang of backing it up I really don't mind doing it anymore. After watching a dude looking like a monkey fucking a football trying to get some big gas cans to his boat slip behind his $10M house I thought, "hey maybe the trailer isn't so bad." Expect to drag gas cans or pay 2x as much for gas on the lake than you would going to a regular gas station.

You're in the 'hood, and seen your pics from the park, so you have the absolute BEST setup you could ask for for launching / recovering a boat.  

I would definitely recommend if you have an easy access launch site to trailer it, else get ready to fork over for the slip and fuel costs of keeping it on the lake.  And lift...

24 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Someone above mentioned too low of hours can be problematic. That red cobalt I linked above is a 2013 with only 55 hours. Is that too good to be true?

14 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

That was me.

If the boat got 5 hrs a year that's less concerning that 25,25,0,0,0,0......

Ask the seller.  Not sure how you could prove it either way.

Also depends on how it was stored. If it sat outside next to someone's barn for 10 years with some zero hour years, you'd need to replace fuel lines, seals, filters, and really anything rubber. If it was professionally winterized, fuel drained, fogged, and stored indoors, it's probably fine. (I'd still replace fuel lines and all filters).

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That low isn’t great on an I/O. You’re running raw water through a system and letting it sit for months/years on end it sounds like. It’s just not great for components. I saw that ad and thought scam immediately, but that was just a first reaction.

Edited by Brew

7 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

You're in the 'hood, and seen your pics from the park, so you have the absolute BEST setup you could ask for for launching / recovering a boat.  

I would definitely recommend if you have an easy access launch site to trailer it, else get ready to fork over for the slip and fuel costs of keeping it on the lake.  And lift...

haha, yeah, people get insanely jealous when they ask how/where I go/launch. 

Can't imagine putting in at 360, waiting for idiots to get in/out and parking a mile away.

Only had 1 time where I got irate at the ramp. Guy backed his trailer into the water, then gets on his boat and spends the next 15 minutes cleaning his boat and taking down the cover.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

haha, yeah, people get insanely jealous when they ask how/where I go/launch. 

Can't imagine putting in at 360, waiting for idiots to get in/out and parking a mile away.

Only had 1 time where I got irate at the ramp. Guy backed his trailer into the water, then gets on his boat and spends the next 15 minutes cleaning his boat and taking down the cover.

Did see a guy there on Saturday morning pull his boat half way down the ramp, then begin rigging it while another boat was waiting to pull out.  Took him about 10 minutes to launch.  

Still waiting for the weather to cool off slightly to get our oil changed and drop ours in the water.  Hoping to get some lake time in this fall, but this 100+ weather with no bimini cover on the boat makes it miserable to be on the lake.

@tbone_ What lake are you planning on keeping it at? The reason I ask is because if you're thinking Pleasant, I suggest you go spend some time out there before you buy. Back in the day I spent every Saturday during the summer out there on the water. It became too much of a shitshow with drunken idiots. I've personally witnessed multiple boat wrecks and drownings out there. 

• Like 1

I’m on a waiting list for slips at Pleasant, Saguaro, and Bartlett. Whichever comes first. I’ve heard that about Pleasant but I’ve also been out there and had no issues. If it sucked I’d go someplace different.

Initially I’ll probably just trailer to the lake until a slip opens up somewhere.

Also would plan to go to Havasu as well.

Mostly this is about spending time with my kid and she’s not going to care which lake.

@tbone_ shocked no one told you to stay away from boats, so I’ll tell ya… jk. You know how many boats a gal should have? One more than she currently has. 

I’ve owned an old colbalt and an axis wake surf. The colbalt was old 28 foot but it was smooooooth. Definitely would recommend. 

teens once they learn to surf will stick around more. The colbalt and tubes will get boring quick. My teens surf and that’s all they do.  It’s cool they tell me.

just my experience.

Welcome to the club…

Edited by troph
  • Like 1