The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Speaking of high dollar radar systems, what is the purpose of having that shit on your boat in a Texas lake?  I see them all the time on Canyon and Travis.

Shit, one guy here on Canyon has a $40k FLIR set-up on his big ass cruiser.

What am I missing?

31 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Speaking of high dollar radar systems, what is the purpose of having that shit on your boat in a Texas lake?  I see them all the time on Canyon and Travis.

What am I missing?

Lots of tournament guys run them to make themselves feel better about driving into blind fog (which is incomprehensible to me, but a thing). Other than that, I don’t know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The weather in Virginia has finally warmed up so I'm here for 3 weeks to replace and repair a bunch of stuff. Replacing the rudder bearings, rebuilding 3 hatches, saildrive seals and anodes, wet exhaust and hose, manual bilge pump, bilge alarms, etc etc. Got a new dinghy as the old one required multiple pump ups every day.

The boat bucks are flying out the door.

Here's my office for 3 weeks.

daboat.thumb.jpg.35e3b4933c6514850418fd443b4be463.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Lots of tournament guys run them to make themselves feel better about driving into blind fog (which is incomprehensible to me, but a thing). Other than that, I don’t know. 

I like that stab at it, but the only tournaments on Canyon Lake are for bass, crappie, stripers, and maybe a couple of other types of shit fish.  These are 40-60 ft cabin cruisers, not Skeeters.

Hell, when one of them clears the marina exit its bow is already half way across the lake.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I like that stab at it, but the only tournaments on Canyon Lake are for bass, crappie, stripers, and maybe a couple of other types of shit fish.  These are 40-60 ft cabin cruisers, not Skeeters.

Hell, when one of them clears the marina exit its bow is already half way across the lake.

Yeah I don't know.  It's not super prevalent on the tournament scene either, but exists.   Dumb af because lots of fogged out mornings will either get a push to late start when it's that way.  Oh and the whole it's a Darwin death sentence thing.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2023 at 9:15 PM, fattyflattie said:

I’ve got a yard in the Port of Miami right now for some work we’re doing.   There’s several ~70 meter yachts there at any given time.  A few were oligarchs that left when shit kicked off last year.   It’s unbelievable knowing that their radar systems are well into 7 figures.   Nothing but a steady stream of the finest cars on the planet in and out of the marina there.  Incomprehensible amounts of $$$$

I don't see many "big" boats down here.  Even the guy that owns the place where I'm staying keeps his big boat up in Miami at the Yacht Club.  The water around here is too shallow for his taste.   The boat that he keeps here at the  house is a "Scout", I'd guess 30' or so, with 3 600 horse mercs.   It's covered, but I'll take a couple of pics anyway and post them shortly.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's crooked on the lift.  The owner's boat guy lowered it into the water the other day because there was a guy here to work on the generator and they needed to pick up water.   He asked me to give him a hand getting it straightened up before the owner returns. He's coming down tomorrow, so I  imagine we will tackle it in the morning. 

31 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't see many "big" boats down here.  Even the guy that owns the place where I'm staying keeps his big boat up in Miami at the Yacht Club.  The water around here is too shallow for his taste.   The boat that he keeps here at the  house is a "Scout", I'd guess 30' or so, with 3 600 horse mercs.   It's covered, but I'll take a couple of pics anyway and post them shortly.

Yeah the "small" boats that accompany the large ones are nice af, too.  I love the whole boat "culture" of South Fl.   It's just different than in Tx. 

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, the previously-mentioned boat guy told me that they have ordered a zodiac with twin 250 Yamahas to tow behind the big boat.

I saw one with a Valhalla moored up to it the other day.  I hate being over there.  Constant reminder that no matter how good you think you're doing, you're still poor af. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah the "small" boats that accompany the large ones are nice af, too.  I love the whole boat "culture" of South Fl.   It's just different than in Tx. 

If I was forced to leave Texas, I'd move to Islamorada in a heartbeat.  Wouldn't have to consider anywhere else.  I'd definitely need two boats, depending on whether I turn east or west out of my canal.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

If I was forced to leave Texas, I'd move to Islamorada in a heartbeat.  Wouldn't have to consider anywhere else.  I'd definitely need two boats, depending on whether I turn east or west out of my canal.

Same.  Pretty sure my next boat here with be with their namesake.  Bout as close to IM as I'll probably ever get.   

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Lol there is no way they put 1800 horsepower on the back of a 30 foot boat. Scout makes some models in the mid 40’s and maybe even a 50 footer. It’s still fucking stupid. Cool boat though.

21 hours ago, Lat22 said:

You'll have to watch my bumper on the way.

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The 400/450s are already massive

Troof. I was looking at repowering last year and the 400 was only about 4-5k more than the 300 (mercs), but those extra 200# or whatever is a lot hanging off the stern. A 450 would be nice but price is about 20k more at that point, and I’d be hull limited with the speeds a 400 would get anyhow.  If there was a bit more of a $$ delta, I would have probably pulled the trigger on one of the new 300s but 400 just muddied the waters too much and tabled it.     

On 5/6/2023 at 3:35 PM, blacklab said:

Atxracer was that you and your family all doing donuts on your jet skis at 11am next to the lake park boat ramp on lake Austin?

Fucking 22 miles of lake 99.99% of which doesn’t have a boat ramp, and this fucking family of 5 are all doing donuts, creating 4 foot waves right at the fucking ramp/docs. 

Man, the lake in that stretch will be calm as glass, and sure enough, when we back the trailer in, 4 wake surf boats will cruise by the dock and swim area right as we're trying to load / unload the boat.  As nice as the park is, it's almost unusable on the weekends due to the surf boats bombarding the ramp and the swim area.

And it's always fun to hear the wife bitching about the kid who repeatedly voids his bowels in the pool causing it to be shut down for the next day or two.

On today's episode of people who annoy me at the lake. People going 3mph down the center of the lake. WTF ARE YOU DOING. People surfing are passing you. You are a fucking rolling roadblock. You are creating dangerous situations for people surfing and wakeboarding trying to figure out where to pass you. Either park your fucking boat or go at least go 10mph.

On today's episode of fuck jet skiiers. There's 100 yards of open water on the other side of the lake. Why the fuck are you going 20mph weaving through two stopped boats that have boarders/surfers in the water?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, blacklab said:

On today's episode of fuck jet skiiers. There's 100 yards of open water on the other side of the lake. Why the fuck are you going 20mph weaving through two stopped boats that have boarders/surfers in the water?

water roaches

7 hours ago, blacklab said:

On today's episode of people who annoy me at the lake. People going 3mph down the center of the lake. WTF ARE YOU DOING. People surfing are passing you. You are a fucking rolling roadblock. You are creating dangerous situations for people surfing and wakeboarding trying to figure out where to pass you. Either park your fucking boat or go at least go 10mph.

Their lack of fear and respect for the Murder Hornet will be their undoing.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:05 PM, Viking said:

The weather in Virginia has finally warmed up so I'm here for 3 weeks to replace and repair a bunch of stuff. Replacing the rudder bearings, rebuilding 3 hatches, saildrive seals and anodes, wet exhaust and hose, manual bilge pump, bilge alarms, etc etc. Got a new dinghy as the old one required multiple pump ups every day.

The boat bucks are flying out the door.

Here's my office for 3 weeks.

daboat.thumb.jpg.35e3b4933c6514850418fd443b4be463.jpg

Outstanding.  What type of dinghy are you getting?  I need to consider the same.  My Apex RIB is pretty long in the tooth and needs to be pumped up on the reg.  Plus I think I want to go with the air floor.  Getting the RIB up on the davits is a bit of a chore with the weight.  Thing is heavy af.  What size outboard you got there?  9.9?  15?

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Outstanding.  What type of dinghy are you getting?  I need to consider the same.  My Apex RIB is pretty long in the tooth and needs to be pumped up on the reg.  Plus I think I want to go with the air floor.  Getting the RIB up on the davits is a bit of a chore with the weight.  Thing is heavy af.  What size outboard you got there?  9.9?  15?

The new dinghy is an AB Navigo VS12. We already have a Suzuki 20hp with electric start so keeping that as it's been great. Dinghy + engine is 300 pounds but we've got an arch with 6:1 blocks to lift it which takes about a minute. It's nice. I feel for your monohullers having to remove and stow the engine and then the dinghy on deck.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Viking said:

The new dinghy is an AB Navigo VS12. We already have a Suzuki 20hp with electric start so keeping that as it's been great. Dinghy + engine is 300 pounds but we've got an arch with 6:1 blocks to lift it which takes about a minute. It's nice. I feel for your monohullers having to remove and stow the engine and then the dinghy on deck.

Dude, you are living my dream.  Keep going.  As long as you can.  And post pics along the way. Cheers to you, friend.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I knew without checking pescado rojo was the drooler. He’s gonna sell and get a real job, love to get my other guide into this boat. 

I have the same motor! 

Most of the wakeboat guys would shit if they knew that thing was the same price as your Axis. 

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have the same motor! 

Most of the wakeboat guys would shit if they knew that thing was the same price as your Axis. 

They are insane. But seeing what this can do it makes it worth the $$$. We run up into 24 inches of water easily hop out and walk to the 12 inch water and wade so much water. On plane it might run even skinnier dunno.  It’s really a great boat. I really really want to get my other guide into this, the way new boat prices are this is going to be a fucking steal. Not axis prices. 

it will never make financial sense for me to own this until I retire and at that point I think I want a mountain stream off my back porch. So I’ll never have one but fuck I want to get a buddy who takes me fishing into this. It’s a boss of a boat. 

Edited by troph

On 5/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, Cajun said:

What am I missing?

I think most of those boats come with a $50k-$100k electronics package as a part of the base dealer build because there’s a lot of profit in that kind of equipment.  Since the massive boats on Travis are mainly intended for nearshore saltwater or much larger lakes it makes sense that they’d be fairly well equipped for low/no visibility navigation  

As a side note, I redid the electronics in my 26’ up in Alaska with a couple 10” screens, new enclosed array radar, chartplotter with AIS and 1kw sonar and feel pretty comfortable running 20 knots in fog where there’s no point even looking out the pilothouse windows.  I love the tech and would understand having it on larger boat regardless of what body of what it’s on.  But the open array radar spinning on a bright sunny day on Travis is pretty ridiculous   

• Like 1

@USCATXYeah, I think you’re pretty close to what it is, just part of purchasing a boat like that.  What’s funny is most of them are perpetually in their slips at the marina.  They just sit there.

I guess that makes sense to them, but zero sense to me.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:20 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have the same motor! 

Not this wakeboat guy.  

On 10/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, Cajun said:

Ok, so I mentioned nauseating story from my day out on Canyon Lake last Sunday.  So, I get to the lake early to get the boat in the water and set everything up for my daughter's birthday.  I pull down to Ramp #6 at about 7am and I'm surprised to see someone else launching their wakeboard rig at that particular ramp that early in the morning.  No biggie, I'll wait.  As I pull down the drive I can see a well fed female in the boat and some dude with lots of hair product backing it down the ramp in an F150.  The boat is nice - a completely tricked out AXIS that I'm pretty sure was brand new (I later saw a paper dealer plate on the trailer).

Anyway, they pull off the launch without a hitch.  She backs the boat out into the cove and hovers while Rascal Flats hair parks the truck/trailer.  When he gets back down she pulls into the little side cove just to the left of the ramp (pictured below) if you're facing the water.

Well, he gets on and then they switch places.  She gives up the wheel and he takes over the boat.  At this point I've got my rig still on the trailer, but in the water just making sure everything is in it's spot for when I launch.  I'm sitting at the steering wheel and had just hit the blower switch when I hear a muffled griding sound.  As I look up I see this dude has idled into the ramp just a few inches below the water right in front of that tree changing colors.  What happens next was beyond my comprehension.  Large Marge stands up from her seat and charges him like a silverbacked gorilla screaming at the top of her lungs (I think this was her boat and dude was the bf).  Upon seeing this while simultaneously hearing and feeling that brand new six figure boat grinding on the concrete, Fast Cars and Freedom panics and hits the throttle forward hard.  The boat lunges my directionabout 15 yards away, but thankfully (for me) the ramp and physics took over and as he hit it harder and the boat was vectored out into the deeper water of the cove.  Looked like Evil Knevil hitting a jump at the wrong angle.  I'll never forget the expressions on their faces.  It was all slow motion, like when you see a car wreck right in front of you.

They spent 20 minutes out there arguing without realizing that the boat was sinking.  I had to tell them.  I offered to tow them in, but she was having none of it as, apparently, it still had power.

All I can tell you is that absolutely made me want to puke.  The sound of that bottom hitting the concrete with that prop turning hard.  

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!

Image 10-21-20 at 3.34 PM.jpeg

Ok, file this under the “Can’t make this shit up” category.  My neighbors directly next door live in Katy and only come down to their place here at Canyon Lake maybe once every couple of months.  Well, they were here last night and invited me over for beverages and conversation.  As we’re talking the husband asks if I was good at launching wakesurf boats (he had seen mine in the driveway).  Turns out he’s got an AXIS in their garage at the end of their driveway.  Says he’s only put 20 hrs since they bought it in New Braunfels in 2020.  I asked why they didn’t take it out more and they just kind of exchanged a tension filled glance with each other with that look like, “I wanna say something , but I’m not sure I should” coming from the wife.  

That’s when the husband says, “Well, we had a bad experience down at Ramp 6 the first day we took the boat out”.  That was the pin that pricked her balloon and she re-lives the entire story I posted in that quoted one above for about the next 15 minutes.

What are the fucking odds?  I pray to Allah that they never find that post.

Edited by Cajun
Oh, and she said there was very little hull damage, but they had to replace rudder, rod, and prop. Sure fooled me.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

@USCATXYeah, I think you’re pretty close to what it is, just part of purchasing a boat like that.  What’s funny is most of them are perpetually in their slips at the marina.  They just sit there.

I guess that makes sense to them, but zero sense to me.

Not this wakeboat guy.  

I’m not going to argue that those boats on Travis make any sense but Marina life with a big boat is pretty fucking posh. I’ve lived that life for tiny spurts with my buddy’s hatteras 55 and man walking to and from and casual partying like a fiddy year old dockside is the fucking life. If I had a big sailboat or cruiser on LT I’d be there all the time and might not take it out much at all. 

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

Ok, file this under the “Can’t make this shit up” category.  My neighbors directly next door live in Katy and only come down to their place here at Canyon Lake maybe once every couple of months.  Well, they were here last night and invited me over for beverages and conversation.  As we’re talking the husband asks if I was good at launching wakesurf boats (he had seen mine in the driveway).  Turns out he’s got an AXIS in their garage at the end of their driveway.  Says he’s only put 20 hrs since they bought it in New Braunfels in 2020.  I asked why they didn’t take it out more and they just kind of exchanged a tension filled glance with each other with that look like, “I wanna say something , but I’m not sure I should” coming from the wife.  

That’s when the husband says, “Well, we had a bad experience down at Ramp 6 the first day we took the boat out”.  That was the pin that pricked her balloon and she re-lives the entire story I posted in that quoted one above for about the next 15 minutes.

What a story wow.  So was it a boyfriend or husband? Did she kick a man off her boat and get a new one? A new dude that is? 

20 hours ago, Cajun said:

image.png.86fe875a22992d2fdf8d4478d5e5637e.png

• Haha 1