The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Wiatt, you got something free with a boat?  Horseshit. 

Well, my kids aren't exactly "free" but they do wash and wax the boat without me paying them, if they want to be invited along to ski and surf.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Troph that looks glorious. Had to punt my run up to Redondo a couple of weeks ago, as the sea was angry the day I planned to bring it up.  Like an old man sending back soup at a deli.  Breezy now, but supposed to lay down tomorrow.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had some very happy sons last night…
B8AA3622-B443-4FA6-9840-62833A021781.thumb.jpeg.e8e9f6f16ea513bbfffa15166924d0bc.jpeg
4F6AAF73-1D1A-4461-ADE3-EB96AC0885E1.thumb.jpeg.68a23016cc9f87a9d8e90a943fb1e478.jpeg

I miss those sunset rides on Travis when I worked at Lakeway Marina. We’d drop the bosses boat and someone would be in the water at 7:15. Ride till 9:15, which is when the Sun would drop behind the cliffs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

So grabbed some happy hour fish tacos and a drink at the Chart House (I feel dirty supporting Tillman Fertitta), but came outside and sitting on the beach, there's a big foamer of dolphins going off in front of me. And I'm reminded why I put up with a lot of California BS. It's worth it.
c94c62f073603958df2d450e11335b4b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Man, went out yesterday on Canyon Lake for the first time in awhile.  I put in at the Marina, paying their $30 fee, because there are only 3 other ramps open and none of them have docks.  Who do I run into but my cousin manager of Boat Town and he's got a whole crew there setting up an on-water boat show or sorts.  

He was busy, but as we were walking down the hill to the docks he whispered in my ear that I should let him know asap if I'm ready to trade up.  

Before I could get, "No, I'm good for now" out of my mouth I see these f'n things and now my time on the water is nothing but daydreaming of the swap up.  I hate him...

B1C809D6-A1C6-4EBA-BC47-3DB8C139D722.jpeg

E76F264D-FE04-403A-8285-CF8D4278A1CF.jpeg

F8121C03-E247-437D-8CB1-91B9A3EB378F.jpeg

80A423C2-258E-4AB6-84CE-89271CF5BEFD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

@blacklabMy cousin is working on some things and will present a handful of boats to me over the next month or two.  I'm selling a condo in SA, closing on May 8th, so he knows that the iron is hot from then to the summer lake season.  That also gives me a little time to fix up the current MC for trade-in

My choice A at this point is that cement colored XT24, but he's going to come up other options that he give me a deal on.

I should buy this one, name it "Professor Anthrax", and meet you out on Lake Austin so I can tie up to the Murder Hornet and scare all the moms of Westlake out of Commons Ford.

B32ABBE9-E6C9-4077-9EDB-F9BC86BC785E.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:05 AM, Cajun said:

I should buy this one, name it "Professor Anthrax", and meet you out on Lake Austin so I can tie up to the Murder Hornet and scare all the moms of Westlake out of Commons Ford.

B32ABBE9-E6C9-4077-9EDB-F9BC86BC785E.jpeg

You clearly haven't been to CF in a while.  You'll probably make friends quicker than you'll scare anyone off out there.

Now, go to the cove across from Hula Hut and blast some good music, you'll get that attention you want there...

49 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

You clearly haven't been to CF in a while.  You'll probably make friends quicker than you'll scare anyone off out there.

Now, go to the cove across from Hula Hut and blast some good music, you'll get that attention you want there...

I was going to CF 3 times a week as recently as 2017.  The herbal Americans there would hang out on my boat and partake after I tied up in the little creek to its side.  They love Pink Floyd so we all got along famously.

As for the cove across from Hula Hut, yeah.  I once got yelled at from shore for listening to a baseball game too loud.  

True story.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I hate to ask this but my wife (no pics) wants to be like all the other dumbasses on the lake and get a jet ski.  I don't keep up with this stuff but what's the latest and greatest? I was thinking a 2 seater and 3 seater.

People will hate on it, but my jet ski’s have as many or more hours than the boats. The kids like to just ride around on them and I liked using them for a skate session where I didn’t really want much of a wake. I’ve just been buying 2 seat Sea Doo GTI’s. They only run 55 or so, they are easy to maneuver for the younger ones, I don’t want 3-4 of them on it at once, and they have enough power to pull someone on a skate or tube. One ride on the 300 horse model was all I needed to know I didn’t want my kids or nephews on one, so I went to the low end. I may go with Sparks when these get replaced as they rarely pull anything any more.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/4/2023 at 3:17 PM, Cajun said:

I’m assuming by “jet ski” you mean SeaDoo?  

Don’t see too many jet skis out anymore.  

Kinda like aquatic 8-Track players.

Unfortunate since jet skis are the only respectable form of jet propulsion marine craft.

• Haha 1

I’m assuming by “jet ski” you mean SeaDoo?  
Don’t see too many jet skis out anymore.  

Kinda like aquatic 8-Track players.

I assume you are referring to Stand Ups, we still see them out on Lake Travis a fair amount. Kawasaki’s sit downs models are still “Jet Skis”. We have a 900 & it’s plenty fast -62 or so. That’s the big thing, think about who is going to be riding them & how fast you want them to going.

Speaking of old school, my buddy bought 2 Wet Bikes last summer. Takes a hell of a lot more skill to ride & balance those suckers. Troph, you might see us out on them this summer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Horns99 said:

I assume you are referring to Stand Ups, we still see them out on Lake Travis a fair amount. Kawasaki’s sit downs models are still “Jet Skis”. We have a 900 & it’s plenty fast -62 or so. That’s the big thing, think about who is going to be riding them & how fast you want them to going.

Speaking of old school, my buddy bought 2 Wet Bikes last summer. Takes a hell of a lot more skill to ride & balance those suckers. Troph, you might see us out on them this summer.

030AA0B1-FD39-4C28-9C24-C34F5D906132_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Always thought once you sit down on the thing it was no longer a "ski". Learned something new.

Just saw the most awesome thing I’ve seen out here.  Two 250lb plus dudes with biker beards in a 16 foot John Boat  tubing and laughing their asses off.  That John boat had like a 200hp outboard on it.

The dude on the tube was wearing a life vest and he looked like a grizzly bear wearing and XTra small t-shirt.  

God I hope they come back by for photographic evidence.

Atxracer was that you and your family all doing donuts on your jet skis at 11am next to the lake park boat ramp on lake Austin?

Fucking 22 miles of lake 99.99% of which doesn’t have a boat ramp, and this fucking family of 5 are all doing donuts, creating 4 foot waves right at the fucking ramp/docs. 

• Rage+1 1

I hate to ask this but my wife (no pics) wants to be like all the other dumbasses on the lake and get a jet ski.  I don't keep up with this stuff but what's the latest and greatest? I was thinking a 2 seater and 3 seater.

Go out to Lake Travis and rent some for the day.

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

Atxracer was that you and your family all doing donuts on your jet skis at 11am next to the lake park boat ramp on lake Austin?

Fucking 22 miles of lake 99.99% of which doesn’t have a boat ramp, and this fucking family of 5 are all doing donuts, creating 4 foot waves right at the fucking ramp/docs. 

Where were the 30 cop boats that are perpetually on that lake?

Oh, yeah, probably in a cove checking their Instagram accounts.

Nevermind.

On 5/6/2023 at 6:55 PM, Goofyboy said:

Go out to Lake Travis and rent some for the day.

We are on HSB and they only rent some that look pretty run of the mill.  I'll probably go check some out in person and see.  I just don't know the good names anymore.  I assume See-doo is one of them.  

On 5/6/2023 at 3:35 PM, blacklab said:

Not it.  Lake Austin is too rich for my blood. But, that exact scenario is why I am not a big fan of jet skis....that and when they try to jump the wake way too close. And, when they drove in front of me and stop, then go, then turn.....I could go on. 

Not it.  Lake Austin is too rich for my blood. But, that exact scenario is why I am not a big fan of jet skis....that and when they try to jump the wake way too close. And, when they drove in front of me and stop, then go, then turn.....I could go on. 

The last ski I owned was. SeaDoo Wake edition. It was great for cruising around and for wake skating. It topped out at 55mph. The new ones are slick. Radios / speakers. Cruise control (which ours had), etc.

You can’t really go wrong with SeaDoo or Yamaha skis.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:26 AM, Cajun said:

e6248f24-aff6-42a8-b8e6-92976f451bfe_tex

Too much coin. Saw a g23 gently used on fb marketplace for $230k. Fuck man, our 5 year old boat that we paid $85k for brand new is juuuuuuust fine.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Anyone have a good line on Merc props?  Guy ive used for last 3-4 said he’s getting them a year after he puts his order in, and some are getting closer to 2 years since ordered.  Hunting a new 26” B1. 

Stainless props are hard to come by right now for sure. I have been looking for a specific prop all week too. I saw some Mercury Bravo props on eBay, not sure on the 26, I was looking for a 4 blade 24P. I was told 10 months on the one I was wanting. I need a Yamaha prop, or one that will fit a Yammy. I found one and hope to have it next week, it was just a fluke to find it. 

35 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Stainless props are hard to come by right now for sure. I have been looking for a specific prop all week too. I saw some Mercury Bravo props on eBay, not sure on the 26, I was looking for a 4 blade 24P. I was told 10 months on the one I was wanting. I need a Yamaha prop, or one that will fit a Yammy. I found one and hope to have it next week, it was just a fluke to find it. 

There was a ton of B1 FS 24’s on there as of last night. $1079.  Lots of 25s, and 27s :(  There was actually some Revs and Tempest 24s too, don’t know what you’re hunting  

I’ve got a 28 and 29 for tournament days but lost a big chunk on the workhorse 26 this weekend.  It’s a super long story that makes me ragey but I bet this one had less than 15 hours on it (it was messed up by the local prop gurus from the get go - to say I’m not a Baumann or Hood fan is an understatement)   

ETA: just reread and saw you found yours.  

Edited by fattyflattie

21 hours ago, troph said:

Too much coin. Saw a g23 gently used on fb marketplace for $230k. Fuck man, our 5 year old boat that we paid $85k for brand new is juuuuuuust fine.

I think whatever price you're thinking vs what I'd pay after factoring in the "cousin" discount plus trade-in on my current MC are significantly different numbers.  

@fattyflattie was in a mercury dealer today and asked him about a 26P, he didn’t have one. He told me he just got a prop in from Mercury that was ordered over 2 years ago. He said try B&B props in Ft. Worth, said they have hard to find stuff, not sure if they have new stuff or just refurb.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Boat propeller warehouse.com had some stock apparently.  $833.  Threw in a new hub because why not and shipped to the door for $950.   Just slightly higher than an oil change and water pump these days.  This is our “workhorse” prop for big groups or taking the kids tubing.   It runs 65 whether it’s yourself and a half tank or several men and a full tank.  Just a good all around.    I’ve tried all the PTs and Yams that are supposed to be great, but none ever touch the Mercs on this boat.   Have had good luck with the B1, B1xs (28p), Fury (27p) and B1xs (29p).  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Cajun said:

I think whatever price you're thinking vs what I'd pay after factoring in the "cousin" discount plus trade-in on my current MC are significantly different numbers.  

I don’t doubt that. 

So I'm down in the keys, and I cannot fucking believe the boats down here.  Very few sailboats. Vast majority of boats are outboards.   90% of them are multiple outboards.  MF'er next door has four 600HP Mercs on his stern.  The boat where I'm staying has three 600's.  
2400 HP on a fucking boat.  Amazing. 
And, if you're not familiar with the 600, the engine is stationary, only the lower unit with the prop moves for steering.  And they all move independent of the others, controlled by a joystick. 

28b20c1b317ca4bc048adac79530ef4f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

So I'm down in the keys, and I cannot fucking believe the boats down here.  Very few sailboats. Vast majority of boats are outboards.   90% of them are multiple outboards.  MF'er next door has four 600HP Mercs on his stern.  The boat where I'm staying has three 600's.  

And, if you're not familiar with the 600, the engine is stationary, only the lower unit with the prop moves for steering.  And they all move independent of the others, controlled by a joystick. 

Only 4?  Wait till you hear the stereos and train horns.

I love when you see those guys trying to navigate the back country.

With those offshore machines, I do wonder how much they end up paying per pound for Dolphin.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

28b20c1b317ca4bc048adac79530ef4f.jpg

My buddy keeps his 55 hatteras in islamorada and it’s heaven. Sadly politics will keep us away for a while. Offshore in 30 mins, inshore the same. Bonefish, marlin, tarpon, mahi, man just a (no passport required) fishing paradise in every direction. 

I’ve got a yard in the Port of Miami right now for some work we’re doing.   There’s several ~70 meter yachts there at any given time.  A few were oligarchs that left when shit kicked off last year.   It’s unbelievable knowing that their radar systems are well into 7 figures.   Nothing but a steady stream of the finest cars on the planet in and out of the marina there.  Incomprehensible amounts of $$$$

• Hook 'Em 1