Election night results

Gil Bang

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.sfgate.com/elections/amp/Chesa-Boudin-recall-results-in-San-Francisco-17226495.php

Chesa Boudin thoroughly defeated in San Francisco recall election, results show

60/40 right now, fantastic. Thought we had lost momentum with this dragging on so long but folks really turned out. 

Boudin has an interesting background. Son of 2 of the Weather Underground folks convicted in Brinks robbery/murder in '81. Chesa was dropped off at a babysitter before the robbery. Then he was raised by Bill Ayers, of Obama fame as his ultra-liberal friend, mentor, educator.  Boudin claims to not have learned to read until he was 9 but who knows if that is accurate. Boudin has degrees from Oxford and Yale and top notch law clerk roles. Also worked for Hugo Chavez's govt in Venezuela.  However he only served as a SF public defender for 4 years before winning the DA role.

Obviously his DA policies were even too relaxed or liberal for SF and from what I can tell, he had no desire to change anything even when faced with a recall.

If you're too liberal for SF, I can't imagine what changes you really want to enact.

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Obviously his DA policies were even too relaxed or liberal for SF and from what I can tell, he had no desire to change anything even when faced with a recall.

If you're too liberal for SF, I can't imagine what changes you really want to enact.

I don’t think “too liberal” is accurate. George Gascon, his predecessor, was also a progressive. Chesa wasn’t elected by majority, but I think most San Franciscans - and most Democrats - would agree that mass incarceration has failed and we should seek evidenced-based ways to reform the criminal justice system. In practice, when the pandemic hit property theft spiked, and frustrations about the homeless situation came to a boil as criminals could break into garages or steal from Walgreens with impunity. 

Quite simply, Chesa sucked at his job. I could go on at length, but the recall was the culmination of the manifestation of voter frustration with the performative politics of progressives during the pandemic. In a span of six months, we recalled three members of the school board following a series of national embarrassments, shot down Chesa’s former chief of staff for state assembly in favor of a YIMBY, and finally gave Chesa the boot himself - all overwhelmingly. To be clear, “progressives” are a distinct group within the factionalism of San Francisco politics, and San Franciscans are generally annoyed with city leadership as a whole, but they have generated the most visible controversies. 

As for Chesa himself, I think Annie Lowrey summed it up best in the Atlantic:

Perhaps her strongest argument was that Boudin simply isn’t good at the job. Half the lawyers working for him have quit, retired, or been fired. She personally decided to quit after he declined to hear her out on not accepting the insanity plea of a defendant who had murdered his mother. “He never requested to meet with me via Zoom or any other mechanism,” she said. “He never requested to see the file to review.” She declined to go to court to enter into the agreement. “That was a level of irresponsibility and recklessness that I wasn’t going to participate in,” she said.

Boudin has also shown himself to be less than adept at the political role he’s taken on as D.A. He’s arguing with his own constituents about their lived experience. He’s sniping at the mayor and feuding with the police force. I can’t remember interviewing a politician who seemed less politic. I asked if there was a crime wave in San Francisco, and he said the question was in some sense fundamentally unanswerable, before citing the police statistics showing that crime had gone down. I asked if it was a problem that so many prosecutors had left his office, and he responded in part by talking about the Great Resignation. I asked if his public rift with the city’s cops affected his ability to do his job, and he responded, “Of course it does.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I don't know anything of the SF situation but it's fundamental that it be solved by housing and mental health/addiction programs.

If you asked me what I think a DA has to do with homelessness I'd reply "nothing."

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I don't know anything of the SF situation but it's fundamental that it be solved by housing and mental health/addiction programs.

If you asked me what I think a DA has to do with homelessness I'd reply "nothing."

Not in my backyard, bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

I don’t think “too liberal” is accurate. George Gascon, his predecessor, was also a progressive. Chesa wasn’t elected by majority, but I think most San Franciscans - and most Democrats - would agree that mass incarceration has failed and we should seek evidenced-based ways to reform the criminal justice system. In practice, when the pandemic hit property theft spiked, and frustrations about the homeless situation came to a boil as criminals could break into garages or steal from Walgreens with impunity. 

Quite simply, Chesa sucked at his job. I could go on at length, but the recall was the culmination of the manifestation of voter frustration with the performative politics of progressives during the pandemic. In a span of six months, we recalled three members of the school board following a series of national embarrassments, shot down Chesa’s former chief of staff for state assembly in favor of a YIMBY, and finally gave Chesa the boot himself - all overwhelmingly. To be clear, “progressives” are a distinct group within the factionalism of San Francisco politics, and San Franciscans are generally annoyed with city leadership as a whole, but they have generated the most visible controversies. 

I think you live there, so I defer to your nuanced response.

But, I think a healthy part of it is that progressivism finds a limit at NIMBY.  It's been the animating/opposing force pair for Austin, Texas  for at least a half-century.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, justhookit said:

https://www.havenforhope.org/about/founder/
Just down the road from Austin in San Antonio. They are doing a hell of a lot better job than pretty much every major city in the world.

They still need a long term solution, just like everywhere else.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/chronic-homelessness-in-san-antonio-has-increased-especially-among-people-with-disabilities-29031194

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think you live there, so I defer to your nuanced response.

But, I think a healthy part of it is that progressivism finds a limit at NIMBY.  It's been the animating/opposing force pair for Austin, Texas  for at least a half-century.

Oh, absolutely. You’ll see that appear most strongly in the housing debate. But that wasn’t the case here. Over 1/3 of the city turned out for a special election to recall the school board in the most childless city in the country. Boudin’s recall was specifically triggered by the Troy McCalister case, viral videos of folks walking out of stores with bags of merch, and his failure to prosecute (and expressed empathy for) the Honduran gangs running the open air drug markets  in the Tenderloin that contributed to over 1,000 overdose deaths during the pandemic. [Edit: Should mention rise in Asian hate crimes played a huge role as well.] In other words, indifference to a perceived sense of lawlessness. This wasn’t the typical progressive lapse into NIMBYism, but rather the confluence of several long-running developments in SF politics that I won’t get into but can be summarized as “people getting pissed off”.

58 minutes ago, Foosters said:

That looks nice. Guess I'm just trying to figure out why people think its the DAs job to prevent homelessness.

I’m sorry if I gave that impression. As I imagine it is in LA, “the homeless situation” serves as shorthand for the city’s inability to control - and perceived normalization of - lawlessness. Homelessness and crime certainly shouldn’t be conflated, was just being lazy. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, justhookit said:

https://www.havenforhope.org/about/founder/
Just down the road from Austin in San Antonio. They are doing a hell of a lot better job than pretty much every major city in the world.

So the conservative’s answer is for every city to have an extremely wealthy man donate $200M to set up a charity to help address homelessness?

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

So the conservative’s answer is for every city to have an extremely wealthy man donate $200M to set up a charity to help address homelessness?

You have a better idea?

And no it doesn’t take a wealthy person to set it up. Austin could do what San Antonio did right now with the funds they are misusing. Unfortunately it takes a bunch of people on the same page. There a reason Haven hosts people from all over the world for tours every week.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, We’reTexas said:

The Atlantic also nailed it here regarding the recall and the feeling of political failure from longtime SF residents: 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/how-san-francisco-became-failed-city/661199/

22 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

The Atlantic also nailed it here regarding the recall and the feeling of political failure from longtime SF residents: 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/how-san-francisco-became-failed-city/661199/

Yes, this is long but regardless of what you think about the argument, it completely captures the factual background that led to the recall. Nellie Bowles pissed off a lot of folks in town with this (mainly because she’s married to Bari Weiss), but shes’s native a San Franciscan and Californian aristocracy and this has carried a lot of weight. 

Edited by We’reTexas

Apparently, there's a special election going on tonight in TX-34, which could flip it to the GQP. If no candidate reaches 50%, it goes to a runoff to be held in August.

I know nothing of the candidates, but Coronado is killing Sanchez's chances. Anyone know anything about them?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/06/14/us/elections/results-texas-us-house-district-34-special-election.html

image.thumb.png.bd6c7f6d2995c2e553414434ef0b9d22.png

Edited by bolverk
Just saw Stassney already started a separate thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Georgia had there runoffs today and two more Trump endorsed candidates left holding Ls, Vernon Jones the ex-Democrat and Jake Evans.

Meanwhile Stacey Abrams endorsement for Secretary of State, Bee Nguyen, ran away with the race. Very sizable and fast growing Asian community in Atlanta that links the two fastest growing groups in the state.

Trump and Georgia just don’t mix.

• Hook 'Em 1