Jump to content

2026 World Cup in North America: Step 1 - the host cities


Jive Turkey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tomorrow is the day the U.S. host cities will be announced.  4 pm CDT on FS 1.

There will be at least 10 U.S. cities, and possibly an 11th.  this guy says there are 8 sure things, including Dallas and Houston.

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-2026-host-cities-170311724.html

Which USA cities will (almost) definitely host 2026 World Cup games?

1. New York/New Jersey (MetLife Stadium)

An obvious choice, and the favorite to host the final.

2. Dallas/Arlington (AT&T Stadium)

The grandeur of Jerry Jones’ palace outweighs any functional aspects that make it unsuitable for soccer. Originally pitched as a semifinal venue, Jerryworld is, according to one source, the only other candidate to host the final, because it has one thing that MetLife does not: a roof. Domes can make for strange soccer settings, but, contrary to traditionalist assumptions, FIFA loves indoor stadiums for their weatherproof-ness. The nightmare scenario is a July thunderstorm in North Jersey interrupting the most-watched game in all of sports.

3. Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

With one of the few NFL stadiums that regularly hosts soccer matches, Atlanta will be a prime candidate for a semifinal. It also could be the site of the International Broadcast Center, the tournament’s main media hub.

4. Los Angeles (SoFi Stadium, Rose Bowl?)

One ideal city, two less-than-ideal stadiums — and that’s why Los Angeles' status as a favorite to host the U.S. opener has gotten shaky. It has ritzy SoFi, with just about every imaginable amenity but not enough field space for soccer. It has the Rose Bowl, which is steeped in history but relatively bare-bones compared to the other venues on this list.

It’s unclear whether both will get games or, more likely, FIFA will choose one. SoFi is the logical choice, but if FIFA is unwilling to compromise on field dimensions, it might have to sacrifice thousands, if not tens of thousands of seats — an adjustment that could jeopardize L.A.’s candidacy for a high-profile match like an opener or semifinal.

5. Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field)

Perhaps no city’s bid has been more squeaky-clean and impressive than Philadelphia’s. It began this whole process on the bubble. By late-April, according to a report from Grant Wahl, it was in the running for a semifinal, which could coincide with the 250th anniversary of the crafting of the Declaration of Independence in … the nation’s original capital, Philadelphia. (July 4 itself, though, would likely be the date of a quarterfinal.)

6. San Francisco/Santa Clara (Levi’s Stadium)

Grass field at a modern stadium in a moderate climate near an airport and an attractive metropolitan area. There’s a reason Levi’s has hosted some high-profile soccer matches since it opened, and there’s no reason to think it won’t get more in 2026.

7. Houston (NRG Stadium)

City infrastructure and the retractable roof are two big pluses — nobody wants to play in 95-degree Texas heat in June. It’s unclear whether Houston’s proximity to Dallas is a pro or con, but its proximity to Mexico, and specifically Monterrey, is another plus. Teams will, at some point, have to travel between the U.S. and its neighbors, and only two other American host cities (Dallas and Atlanta) are within a four-hours-or-less flight from Mexico City.

8. Seattle (Lumen Field)

Rich soccer culture? Check. Proximity to two other host cities (Vancouver and San Francisco)? Check. Natural grass? Nope, and that’s the reason Seattle doesn’t get more big-time internationals and preseason friendlies. But it isn’t alone here — nine of the 17 American stadiums in the mix have artificial turf. FIFA has said that, in general, “that’s not a concern.” Sod can be temporarily installed. And Seattle should be selected.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a list of stadiums that are in the mix:

United States
Atlanta - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (71,000)
Baltimore - M&T Bank Stadium (71,006)
Boston - Gillette Stadium (65,878)
Cincinnati - Paul Brown Stadium (65,515)
Dallas - AT&T Stadium (80,000)
Denver - Mile High Stadium (76,126)
Houston - NRG Stadium (72,220)
Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium (76,416)
Los Angeles - Rose Bowl (92,542)
Los Angeles - SoFi Stadium (70,240)
Miami - Hard Rock Stadium (64,767)
Nashville - Nissan Stadium (69,143)
Orlando - Camping World Stadium (60,219)
New Jersey - MetLife Stadium (82,500)
Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field (69,796)
Santa Clara - Levi’s Stadium (68,500)
Seattle - Lumen Field (69,000)

Canada
Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (55,819)
Toronto - BMO Field (30,000)
Vancouver - BC Place (54,500)

Mexico
Guadalajara - Estadio Akron (49,850)
Mexico City - Estadio Asteca (87,523)
Monterrey - Estadio BBVA (53,500)

 

Note the capacities are not necessarily those for the World Cup. For example the Rose Bowl bid seats were ~88,450, Jerry World was ~93,000, and BMO Field (Toronto) was ~45,000, so that might not be what you see here.

The Rose Bowl is the only carry over stadium from 1994.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Here is a list of stadiums that are in the mix:

United States
Atlanta - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (71,000)
Baltimore - M&T Bank Stadium (71,006)
Boston - Gillette Stadium (65,878)
Cincinnati - Paul Brown Stadium (65,515)
Dallas - AT&T Stadium (80,000)
Denver - Mile High Stadium (76,126)
Houston - NRG Stadium (72,220)
Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium (76,416)
Los Angeles - Rose Bowl (92,542)
Los Angeles - SoFi Stadium (70,240)
Miami - Hard Rock Stadium (64,767)
Nashville - Nissan Stadium (69,143)
Orlando - Camping World Stadium (60,219)
New Jersey - MetLife Stadium (82,500)
Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field (69,796)
Santa Clara - Levi’s Stadium (68,500)
Seattle - Lumen Field (69,000)

Canada
Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (55,819)
Toronto - BMO Field (30,000)
Vancouver - BC Place (54,500)

Mexico
Guadalajara - Estadio Akron (49,850)
Mexico City - Estadio Asteca (87,523)
Monterrey - Estadio BBVA (53,500)

 

Note the capacities are not necessarily those for the World Cup. For example the Rose Bowl bid seats were ~88,450, Jerry World was ~93,000, and BMO Field (Toronto) was ~45,000, so that might not be what you see here.

The Rose Bowl is the only carry over stadium from 1994.

Went to games in the Cotton Bowl in 1994 and holy shit was it hot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Went to games in the Cotton Bowl in 1994 and holy shit was it hot


So you think that it would be best to move the 2026 World Cup to November/December?

  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Tomorrow is the day the U.S. host cities will be announced.  4 pm CDT on FS 1.

There will be at least 10 U.S. cities, and possibly an 11th.  this guy says there are 8 sure things, including Dallas and Houston.

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-2026-host-cities-170311724.html

...

 

Taking a look at the article, I can't disagree with their reasoning about why Boston is likely on the outside looking in:

 

Quote

12. Boston/Foxboro (Gillette Stadium)

Perhaps the most polarizing bid of the bunch, Boston has first-hand World Cup hosting experience and, most importantly, Robert Kraft — a Major League Soccer founder and 2026 bid committee honorary chair who boasts a personal relationship with FIFA president Gianni Infantino. Unfortunately, it also has an inconvenient, barely-even-suburban stadium with neither a roof nor natural grass, which makes it extremely unattractive. There has also been a litany of minor issues behind the scenes. If it weren’t for Kraft’s political pull, Boston would surely be out. As it stands, it’s squarely on the bubble.

He' isn't wrong calling it "barely-even-suburban" because it's not.

 

image.thumb.png.43fcd16a6ccd161d1c2f58d099ca6581.png

That's the fucking sticks!!! Getting out there is a nightmare. This would be like if Austin FC played in Georgetown, but it took an hour to get out there!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dbecks said:


Canada & Mexico cities were already determined. Today finalizes just the US cities.

Edmonton has had issues, talks of them losing the bid and US getting an extra. That's what happened

Link to comment
Share on other sites

United States
Atlanta - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (71,000)
Boston - Gillette Stadium (65,878)
Dallas - AT&T Stadium (80,000)
Houston - NRG Stadium (72,220)
Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium (76,416)
Los Angeles - SoFi Stadium (70,240)
Miami - Hard Rock Stadium (64,767)
New Jersey - MetLife Stadium (82,500)
Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field (69,796)
Santa Clara - Levi’s Stadium (68,500)
Seattle - Lumen Field (69,000)

Canada
Toronto - BMO Field (30,000)
Vancouver - BC Place (54,500)

Mexico
Guadalajara - Estadio Akron (49,850)
Mexico City - Estadio Asteca (87,523)
Monterrey - Estadio BBVA (53,500)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...