2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

4 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Anyone else puzzled at Auburn being in the Top 10? Was I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Played Duke tough and a coach with both a good (coaching) and bad (worst kind of person ethically) reputation but the former helps maybe a bit with ranking.

Meanwhile, hoops games for December 20th, in the year of two thousand & eighteen:
College Basketball
Men’s
Maryland-Eastern Shore at Winthrop — ESPN+, 11 a.m.
Southeastern at Kennesaw State — ESPN+, 4 p.m.
Jacksonville at Notre Dame — ACC Network, 7 p.m.
New Orleans at Pittsburgh — ACC Network, 7 p.m.
Ohio at Purdue — Big Ten Network, 7 p.m.
Duke vs. Texas Tech at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY — ESPN2, 7 p.m.
Howard at Ball State — ESPN+, 7 p.m.
James Madison at Fordham — ESPN+, 7 p.m.
Manhattan at Albany — ESPN+, 7 p.m.
Northern Illinois at Northern Kentucky — ESPN+, 7 p.m.
Savannah State at Tennessee Tech — ESPN+, 7 p.m.
South Carolina State at Miami (OH) — ESPN+, 7 p.m.
Utah State at Houston — ESPN3, 8 p.m.
Mobile at South Alabama — ESPN+, 8 p.m.
Coe at Creighton — FS1, 8 p.m.
Cal State-Bakersfield at Portland State — Pluto TV, 10 p.m.

If Zion Williamson spent 2 weeks with Hakeem...

Holy fuck...the dude's footwork is so crazy good for a big man.

Get it under control and holy furk...  He will be a better Shaq.

I'm thinking he'll be a more athletic Draymond Green. Although he didn't display it much today, he usually displays a high IQ and passes surprisingly well. Granted the kid is only 18 or 19 so we're talking a good 4 or 5 years before we consistently see these types of traits. That being said, he's got potential to be much better than his youtube highlights against South Carolina private school kids had me believing going into this season. 

It's Time For UCLA Basketball To Make a Change

ByDAVID WOODS 27 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

8083729.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Steve Alford (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

It’s time for UCLA basketball to make a change.

That doesn’t mean it has to happen now, but this season must be the final season for Steve Alford at UCLA.

The Bruins are 7-4, with blowout losses to Michigan State, North Carolina, and, most recently, Cincinnati. The Bruins have also lost to Belmont, a low-major program, at home. It is already quite clear that if UCLA is to make the NCAA Tournament, it will almost certainly have to come from an automatic bid by winning the Pac-12 Tournament.

That is simply not good enough in year six, full stop, and when you contextualize this year’s performance in light of not only the talent on the team but the performances over the last five seasons, there’s no defense at this point (pun intended).  

As we detailed in stories last spring, there is a valid and fair argument to make that Steve Alford is the worst performing head coach UCLA has had since Walt Hazzard. The Bruins have rarely been this consistently irrelevant under any head coach.

In five seasons, Alford has never advanced past the Sweet 16, has never won the regular season conference championship, and has the lowest winning percentage through five seasons of any UCLA coach not named Walt Hazzard. Aside from one season with Lonzo Ball, his teams have never spent a single week ranked in the top 10.

This year, UCLA has three former five-stars and five former four-stars in the available lineup, and is getting blown out by any good team it faces and is being taken to the wire by average teams. While it’s a subjective assessment, it looks very much like the team is or has been tuning out Alford, with Alford even blaming the players after the game against Cincinnati, implying that they need to come into the gym during their mandatory off time if they want to improve.

You can’t have the talent UCLA has had under Alford and underperform the way he has. You can’t coach at UCLA for six years and perform the way he has performed.

That's just talking about on-the-court evidence. We won't even get into the off-the-court issues, but suffice it to say that Alford is not well-loved at UCLA.

At a game, if you look off the court and up into the stands, you see empty seats. UCLA is averaging 6,150 at home, other than the sell-out against Notre Dame.  

It’s time for this to end.

7COMMENTS

But that doesn’t mean it has to end right now. We completely respect the idea of waiting until the end of the season to make a change -- as long as it is understood that you haveto start the back channel work of hiring the next coach immediately (and, really, months ago). If there is even the inkling of an idea that UCLA would wait until Alford is actually fired before beginning the search, then UCLA should absolutely fire Alford before the end of the year, because the most important thing in this entire scenario is landing the best possible next coach. In an ideal world, yes, you’d wait until the end of the season to ensure that the program looks better in the eyes of public perception (especially since we’re reasonably certain that Alford will spend the next several years bad-talking the job), but this may not be an ideal world.

In any case, this thing should be over. The fan base is in virtual unanimity when it comes to the UCLA basketball program, and that's unprecedented. It’s time for a change. The Steve Alford era should be over.

Meanwhile Howland has Miss St. in the top 20.  I was one of the few who felt he never should have been fired.

I’ve marked this game as a loss since the beat is in AFH. I especially have it as a loss if doke plays but it doesn’t look like he will. I bet the are up 13-15 at some point. The team isn’t playing how bill wants them to on the defensive side. Self won’t be doing much coaching tomorrow to bail out the hawks. He will use a loss here to motivate and get them back on track for conference play. 

40 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Thank God for peach baskets:

Pretty sure there’s a few Indiana High Schools that still use them.  

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

I’ve marked this game as a loss since the beat is in AFH. I especially have it as a loss if doke plays but it doesn’t look like he will. I bet the are up 13-15 at some point. The team isn’t playing how bill wants them to on the defensive side. Self won’t be doing much coaching tomorrow to bail out the hawks. He will use a loss here to motivate and get them back on track for conference play. 

Bill. 

• Haha 1