Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

Loved seasons 1-2 and all the writing/banter between characters.  But I think I am becoming tired of the conversations between the siblings after that last ep...they really never get anywhere bc Roman has to comment after everything and Shiv can't think for herself.  Roman used to be funny...now it's meh annoying.  I watch for Logan, Greg, Bill now...

Bill?

Nirvana completely unnerved Shiv and made her go nuclear, i would not have thought it was that easy to push her over the edge.

kudos to Roman for refusing to sign on to airing of personal dirty laundry...'makes me feel unwell'...'so take me to reason court and sue me' 😄

Logan is SO mean to Roman. and he just takes it.

Ken makes me nervous just watching him!

this show is so good. 

Yeah Roman may be the sneaky smartest one of the three.  As Gerri said, he definitely has good instincts, as his flaws (weird intimacies/affection issues) don't actually blind him to the realities of what's happening, unlike Ken and Shiv.  Both of them are so ego-centric that they can't see past their own nose to what is actually going on.

the whole episode was Cringe Kendall.

the look on Shiv's face in Kendall's office before she spat in book/planner - wow. The "rape me" prank totally unhinged her: ie; the open letter to the press.

Shiv's whole - "don't do it, Tom, but it is a genius move, but don't do it"

Oof, the tension in the Kendall and Logan scenes. The silence was just brilliant. Rest of the episode was good, but those scenes made the episode (Greg is so cringe, it's great..rum and Coke lol).

This show is so good. I'm sad when it ends each week.

Edited by LonghornSean

Unraveling Tom is going to make for some great TV in the coming weeks, that's for sure.

That fucking scene with Logan and Greg was just.... sooooo fantastic. 

"Oooh... strong..."

"Should I chug it? I'll chug it..."

Loved the Adrian Brody character completely fucking with Logan and Kendall to basically see if they were full of shit, and finding out that, yes, they are both indeed full of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will openly admit I dont “get” about 6% of the show. But the 94% I get, I love. Are parts of the show too smart for me? Or is it trying tooooo hard?

Also, I am having a hard time with the timelines. How much time has passed in the three seasons? How long are they going to drag out the takeover bid story? Shouldnt it been either successful (or failed) by now?

10 hours ago, remoh said:

I will openly admit I dont “get” about 6% of the show. But the 94% I get, I love. Are parts of the show too smart for me? Or is it trying tooooo hard?

Also, I am having a hard time with the timelines. How much time has passed in the three seasons? How long are they going to drag out the takeover bid story? Shouldnt it been either successful (or failed) by now?

I don't think that much time has passed at all between seasons 2-3.  Season 3 literally picked up right were season 2 left off, so if I were to guess, I'd say the time elapsed in the show so far from Kendall's press conference has only been *maybe* a week or two?  And maybe only a matter of months from season 1 to now?

Takeover bids, particularly hostile takeover bids, can definitely take time... from 6 months to a year, easily.  It obviously depends on the specific ins and outs of the deal...   

A "normal" timeline would be (a) Tender offer made (b) Company/board responds to tender offer - if they accept, then a shareholder vote date is set within 3-4 months and they vote on the deal (typically a done deal if the board accepts) (c) Shareholder vote happens, merger moves forward for regulatory approval, etc.

If the company/Board *doesn't* accept, then it can really draw out because they can either fight it or basically negotiate for a bigger/better deal.

I'd need to go back and re-watch seasons 1-2 to be sure.  But IIRC, it seems like they haven't made a tender offer yet; I think what's happening now is that Sandy/Stewy are talking with all of the big shareholders/Board to ensure they have the votes/shares *before* they make the tender offer. The Roys are doing the same, but with the intention of having them not support Sandy/Stewy so that either (a) Sandy/Stewy decide to not pursue the acquisition or (b) it sets up a proxy fight for control of the company.

• Hook 'Em 1

i agree...the timeline for the entire show seems very short, a few months maybe, definitely less than a year. like, i don't think Shiv and Tom have even been married a year. it does make it a bit difficult narratively since the show itself has been on for several years now. 

there are no kids on the show (other than Kendall's who we never see), which makes it easier for them to expositionally cover a short period of time despite filming over several years. 

as for 'not getting'...Kendall's pitch to Sandy and Stewey used so many buzzwords and catchphrases about what he would do with the company, i had no idea what he was talking about but i guess it sounded good lol 

10 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'd need to go back and re-watch seasons 1-2 to be sure.  But IIRC, it seems like they haven't made a tender offer yet; I think what's happening now is that Sandy/Stewy are talking with all of the big shareholders/Board to ensure they have the votes/shares *before* they make the tender offer. The Roys are doing the same, but with the intention of having them not support Sandy/Stewy so that either (a) Sandy/Stewy decide to not pursue the acquisition or (b) it sets up a proxy fight for control of the company.

my knowledge on this subject is extremely limited, but this is where the show has tripped me up a bit.  i feel like they've already mentioned the proxy war going on, but it seemed like they skipped a few steps to get there.  i guess the goal until now was to negotiate with sandy and stewy to avoid potentially losing the company.  in that case, it seems like sandy and stewy don't have much reason to negotiate (or at least to agree to a deal), which they haven't.

the internal kendall takeover is also a bit confusing, and seems like weird timing.  everything so far has been building towards the shareholder's meeting, which looks to be next episode.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my knowledge on this subject is extremely limited, but this is where the show has tripped me up a bit.  i feel like they've already mentioned the proxy war going on, but it seemed like they skipped a few steps to get there.  i guess the goal until now was to negotiate with sandy and stewy to avoid potentially losing the company.  in that case, it seems like sandy and stewy don't have much reason to negotiate (or at least to agree to a deal), which they haven't.

the internal kendall takeover is also a bit confusing, and seems like weird timing.  everything so far has been building towards the shareholder's meeting, which looks to be next episode.

Yeah some of it just "TV talk" where they probably aren't necessarily doing things "correctly" or how they would in the real world.

I need to re-watch because I can't seem to recall if the "Shareholder meeting" constantly being referenced is the Annual Meeting where Directors are selected or if it's a special meeting for a proxy vote on an acquisition bid.  It seems kind of more like the former, but it's hard to know exactly when they've been a bit vague about it on the show.

Either way, I think the show's condensed timeline is pretty realistic, in terms of the vote not taking place yet. It seems like, at the most, we are supposed to be 4-6 months after Tom and Shiv's wedding.  My best guess is that all of Season 2 took place within that span and then Season 3 literally picked up seconds after Season 2 ended.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:51 AM, mchookem said:

Nirvana completely unnerved Shiv and made her go nuclear, i would not have thought it was that easy to push her over the edge.

kudos to Roman for refusing to sign on to airing of personal dirty laundry...'makes me feel unwell'...'so take me to reason court and sue me' 😄

Logan is SO mean to Roman. and he just takes it.

Ken makes me nervous just watching him!

this show is so good. 

Roman kind of reminds me of Jamie Lanister. He manages to be amoral and honorable at the same time. At least in comparison to other family members. Roman seems to have genuine loyalty to his family regardless of the infighting.

Kendal is difficult to watch because of the cringe factor. He is a very unlikable character.

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

Tom has always given me the creeps. The wrestling part made me think he wanted to bang Greg.

That’s what creeped you out?    Not where he tells his soon-to-be  future in-laws that the chick who just Sucked his load and spit it back into his mouth was the hottest thing he ever declared to have witnessed?  That dude is hanging on to

some shit

Tom has been one of the most interesting characters on the show to track.

Going back to season 1, he almost seemed like a bit of a sociopath, but all of that was him lashing out where he could (mostly at Greg) due to his deep-seeded insecurities.

From the second half of season 1 through season 2, they've definitely shown that, at his core, Tom is a loyal person who values loyalty in others.  Greg trying to tell Tom that Shiv was banging the other campaign staffer dude meant a lot to Tom (even though he berated Greg for it at the time) ... Greg earned Tom's loyalty at that point and that's why he didn't "out" him during the "Boar on the Floor" thing in season 2. Tom is a loyal guy.

That's why Shiv's wedding night "open marriage" thing hurt him so badly, and also why Greg always wanting to get away from Tom in the company hurts him so much.

The two people he clearly cares about the most in the family (Shiv and Greg) are both constantly rejecting him in different ways.

And yeah - the twin pressures of that and potential jail time make Tom a HUGE loose canon for the rest of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Tom has been one of the most interesting characters on the show to track.

Going back to season 1, he almost seemed like a bit of a sociopath, but all of that was him lashing out where he could (mostly at Greg) due to his deep-seeded insecurities.

From the second half of season 1 through season 2, they've definitely shown that, at his core, Tom is a loyal person who values loyalty in others.  Greg trying to tell Tom that Shiv was banging the other campaign staffer dude meant a lot to Tom (even though he berated Greg for it at the time) ... Greg earned Tom's loyalty at that point and that's why he didn't "out" him during the "Boar on the Floor" thing in season 2. Tom is a loyal guy.

That's why Shiv's wedding night "open marriage" thing hurt him so badly, and also why Greg always wanting to get away from Tom in the company hurts him so much.

The two people he clearly cares about the most in the family (Shiv and Greg) are both constantly rejecting him in different ways.

And yeah - the twin pressures of that and potential jail time make Tom a HUGE loose canon for the rest of the season.

i think this is all accurate.  tom is my favorite character on the show.  not most likable, just favorite when he comes on (often with greg, obviously).  one thing about the roy family, is that they all dish it and they all are forced to take it.  that's how logan raised them.  you have to have a thick skin to survive, and the siblings are all pretty horrible to each other.  that's learned behavior.

i'm not sure where tom came from, but he's not wired this way, and this show does a brilliant job of showing tom as an "outsider" at certain times.  in some instances, he literally just can't take it.  shiv tries to be the badass like she is with her brothers, and often it's just too much for tom.  he has to process things like a normal human person.  in many ways, we (the audience) are all tom.  observing and trying to participate while it makes us ill.  the corporate politics conversations he has with shiv are fantastic.

tom will be the linchpin in whatever goes down this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tom's admission/sentiment towards Greg this week was probably the most honest and caring anyone's been on this show. 

I also loved the irony of Logan saying nice things about Kendall immediately followed by taking it back when they were alone.  I appreciate when a character believes they are lying while expressing something that's clearly the truth.  

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i think this is all accurate.  tom is my favorite character on the show.  not most likable, just favorite when he comes on (often with greg, obviously).  one thing about the roy family, is that they all dish it and they all are forced to take it.  that's how logan raised them.  you have to have a thick skin to survive, and the siblings are all pretty horrible to each other.  that's learned behavior.

i'm not sure where tom came from, but he's not wired this way, and this show does a brilliant job of showing tom as an "outsider" at certain times.  in some instances, he literally just can't take it.  shiv tries to be the badass like she is with her brothers, and often it's just too much for tom.  he has to process things like a normal human person.  in many ways, we (the audience) are all tom.  observing and trying to participate while it makes us ill.  the corporate politics conversations he has with shiv are fantastic.

tom will be the linchpin in whatever goes down this season.

Yep - re: the siblings - other than the scene with the three of them smoking weed together (which was just the three of them), I can only really think of two instances where they showed one or more of them showed genuine affection for the other in “public” - when Logan slapped Roman and Ken immediately lashed out him “YOU NEVER HIT HIM!”…. And then also Roman refusing to co-sign Shiv’s takedown press release about Ken.  I was trying to think of another instance but coming up blank.

Also - we haven’t even mentioned Conner’s power play. Turning down his own wine tasting show on their version of Food Network to jump into the big game???? Come on my man… :D 

I’m glad the show moved on to another plot point. The shareholder meeting was what, a three season arc and it didn’t even happen. 

Let’s get back to more Tom being a creepy weirdo and Greg recoiling in horror. 

Also the spin off idea is getting traction. Link: https://ew.com/tv/succession-matthew-macfadyen-nicholas-braun-tom-greg-spin-off-ideas/

"Sandy's the angriest fucking vegetable... fucking belligerent zucchini!"

"do you... do you need me to hold the scepter?"

"that is an imaginary cat, now could you please fuck off."

"can you sue a grandparent in like, an affectionate way?"

"Tony Tourettes"

Kendall is so cringe, Shiv doesn't deserve Tom, and Roman is completely codependent with Logan, who is absolutely despicable to his children. how they didn't band together to oust him i'll never understand. 

What a fantastic, fantastic episode of television.

• You can feel the palpable panic from everyone when they realized Logan was "piss mad", lol. 
  • Roman taking the call from the President was so great.
  • The Greg-James Cromwell scenes continue to deliver. "What..? I mean, how do you know it's mine...?"
  • I loved how Kendall's little grandstanding speech was shot... pulled out wide... made him look like a sad little man ranting on the stage... contrast that to how his press conference at the end of Season 2 was shot.  So good.

I love how the show is making perfectly clear that the Roy children, for the most part, are all fucking morons in one or more ways. Or if not morons, they all have their tragic flaws that will be their undoing:

• Kendall seems to be the only one who actually really knows business and how it works, but he wants so badly to be like the upstart/Tech bro/do-gooder/etc., that he's missing the forest for the trees when it comes to the here and now at the company. He also loves the nose clams of course.
  • Roman is excellent with people for the most part and has good instincts on knowing when someone is bullshitting, but he (a) doesn't really care to know much about the actual business and (b) is so utterly blinded by desperately wanting his father's affection that he just blindly does whatever Logan says without even thinking about it.
  • Shiv is a master bullshitter who seems to be interested in accumulating power but little else. 
  • Conner is.... fucking amazing. :D 
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3