Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

On 11/14/2021 at 11:47 PM, mchookem said:

"Sandy's the angriest fucking vegetable... fucking belligerent zucchini!"

"do you... do you need me to hold the scepter?"

"that is an imaginary cat, now could you please fuck off."

"can you sue a grandparent in like, an affectionate way?"

"Tony Tourettes"

Kendall is so cringe, Shiv doesn't deserve Tom, and Roman is completely codependent with Logan, who is absolutely despicable to his children. how they didn't band together to oust him i'll never understand. 

That episode had me rolling.  The belligerent zucchini and holding the scepter were brilliant writing.  And poor Greg.  Now he has to sue Greenpeace for his inheritance.

“I just feel because of my physical length I could be a target for all kinds of misadventures.” Greg was great this episode. Also loved him getting commandeered for suing Greenpeace.

Kendall is a fucking dumbass. His scene with Tom at the diner was great. Tom’s actor was particularly solid this episode. Loved him telling Kendall he’s always the one getting fucked, but Logan never gets fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

“I just feel because of my physical length I could be a target for all kinds of misadventures.” Greg was great this episode. Also loved him getting commandeered for suing Greenpeace.

Kendall is a fucking dumbass. His scene with Tom at the diner was great. Tom’s actor was particularly solid this episode. Loved him telling Kendall he’s always the one getting fucked, but Logan never gets fucked.

Yeah Tom is owning this season so far. He’s been great.

I love the way this show subverts expectations. Early in the series, it seemed like Shiv was the “white knight” of the family, but turns out she’s just as big of a piece of shit as the rest of them.

It’s also easy to see now why Logan DIDN’T want to turn the company over to Kendall. He’s a flake who tries too hard to be liked instead of doing what’s smart.

Tom early on seemed like a bit of a sociopath who was just using the family to climb the socioeconomic ladder, but it turns out he’s mostly just a normal nice guy who fell in love with Shiv and is currently unraveling as he realizes that Shiv doesn’t love him and he’s likely going to prison for a family that mostly doesn’t give a shit about him.

• Like 1

Been a fan of Matthew MacFadyen since I saw him the BBC spy series Spooks (MI-5 in America).  He also played Prior Phililp in Pillars of the Earth.

Damn good actor.

He's just knocked it out of the park in this series.  Perfect American accent.  Utterly believable as this character.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

Been a fan of Matthew MacFadyen since I saw him the BBC spy series Spooks (MI-5 in America).  He also played Prior Phililp in Pillars of the Earth.

Damn good actor.

He's just knocked it out of the park in this series.  Perfect American accent.  Utterly believable as this character.

this was very good as well, not sure where to find it now, aired last year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Roman mocking Ken

And I love my children, Blur Face and Who Cares.

I laughed again typing that. 

We've just caught up to this season. Lovely partial binge in the last week. Roman is an immortal character. They even gave him heart regarding his father's health and Shiv's letter about Ken. 

Shiv: It's accurate.

Roman: In a Lee Harvey Oswald sort of way.

I paraphrase, but the dialogue in this show is scrumptious.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Question for the lawyers:  So let's say back in season 1, Tom just says fuck it and goes into work, signs out all the incriminating cruise documents from records, and shreds the entire lot of it.  Now there are no physical documents that can prove any executive at W/R had any knowledge of the terrible things that are alleged to have happened in Cruises.  They also referred to completing a "digital deep clean" in that season as well, so there are also no electronic records.  Basically, nothing now exists that can prove anyone at W/R had any knowledge of any illegal activity.

The only thing the feds can prove is that Tom destroyed documents.  What is Tom guilty of and what's the max fine/prison time he could face?

Edited by TriStone

Kendall birthday party episode was fucking great. This show at its best. Ken meltdown, in the gift room, and the whole party setup and delivery, just brutal. Shiv realizing she is being marginalized. Tom and Greg scenes were pure gold (office "celebration", escalator, compliment room...).

Only two episodes left. Fuck that's a bummer.

Edited by LonghornSean

On 11/23/2021 at 7:59 PM, TriStone said:

Question for the lawyers:  So let's say back in season 1, Tom just says fuck it and goes into work, signs out all the incriminating cruise documents from records, and shreds the entire lot of it.  Now there are no physical documents that can prove any executive at W/R had any knowledge of the terrible things that are alleged to have happened in Cruises.  They also referred to completing a "digital deep clean" in that season as well, so there are also no electronic records.  Basically, nothing now exists that can prove anyone at W/R had any knowledge of any illegal activity.

The only thing the feds can prove is that Tom destroyed documents.  What is Tom guilty of and what's the max fine/prison time he could face?

Not a lawyer, but have worked in the corporate world for a Fortune 500 company for 15 years and gone through countless training sessions on records management and various regulatory things specific to my industry.

My non-educated guess is that unless the documents were under subpoena for an open investigation or otherwise required by law to be retained because they were part of a regulated portion of the business*, it would have only possibly been a violation of the company’s record retention policy…. And it would obviously look squirrelly AF from the outside, but at the end of the day I don’t think the company or Tom would be on the hook for anything other than looking bad.

But again, now a lawyer….Just a long-time corporate drone.

* While it would seem that Cruises likely WOULD be subject to some type of regulatory body, I doubt it would be U.S regulations or the DOJ that would be involved with that. Seems like I recall the major cruise line operators flag their vessels with like random Central American countries to superficially avoid U.S. regulations. I’m sure Waystar would be the same.  

Also - trying to remember if SOX had any kind of provision for just overall records retention or was just like accounting controls.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So I don’t think they bring Kendall back from that episode as someone to root for. 

Team Roman, Gerrie, Greg and Tom from here on out. Although that’s probably pretty popular and intentional. 

What, killing a guy wasn’t your breaking point, but giving his billionaire heiress GF some lip for a shitty birthday gift was a bridge too far?

On 11/23/2021 at 4:47 PM, mchookem said:

heeeey...WHERE IS ALEXANDAR SKAARSGARD?? 🤔 we're like halfway through the season yeah? 

yesssss 😋

the list of cities Matsson could work from..."Austin, London, Stockholm, Geneva..." umm one of these things is not like the others 😄

Tom got the bad coke lol

Kendall is just uncomfortable to watch. 

they are all just so horrible to each other. again and again. saying all the quiet parts out loud, cutting to the core. makes sense considering who/how their father is. 

i liked Roman the most until tonight...but he was completely insufferable tonight. he's the best at reading people but Ken was right, he's not real and he was gross this ep... then pushing Ken down, that was just too much.

i can't believe they haven't all taken a swing at each other. 

10 minutes ago, hornian said:

What, killing a guy wasn’t your breaking point, but giving his billionaire heiress GF some lip for a shitty birthday gift was a bridge too far?

I mean, we rooted for Tony Soprano and Stringer Bell.  If end of season two wasn’t a contingent “Fuck Yeah” for Kendall, we aren’t watching the same show.  They brought him back from that.  But all that goodwill is gone (most of it after episode 1 this season).  Roman isn’t much better as a person but he’s self-aware.  

9 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So I don’t think they bring Kendall back from that episode as someone to root for. 

Team Roman, Gerrie, Greg and Tom from here on out. Although that’s probably pretty popular and intentional. 

You've been rooting for Kendall? 

Seems like the whole point of the show is that they are all pieces of shit, except for maybe Tom and Greg... they are the only two that have shown any kind of moral compass, but even they will sort of be dicks when it suits their needs.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Seems like the whole point of the show is that they are all pieces of shit, except for maybe Tom and Greg... they are the only two that have shown any kind of moral compass, but even they will sort of be dicks when it suits their needs.

Tom and Greg are also pieces of shit, just to a lesser degree than the others. I like Greg, the bumbling goof that he is, but Ken was right in that he is a giant leech on the family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Tom and Greg are also pieces of shit, just to a lesser degree than the others. I like Greg, the bumbling goof that he is, but Ken was right in that he is a giant leech on the family. 

That was an interesting quote in that, he is, in fact, family. I mean, aren't they all - at the end of the day - "leeching" on off what Logan has built?

It's not like Kendall, Shiv or Roman did anything except be born into the family, same as Greg.  What difference does it make, really if your Logan's son or Logan's nephew? Both are taking advantage of their status as relatives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Everyone sucks in this show other than maybe Rava.  That’s the point. So yeah, I’m gonna root for folks, or why else watch?  But given everyone sucks as a human being, rooting interest will be dynamic from episode to episode.  I cheered for Ken at end of last season. This season has reminded us that he is unworthy and he’s nothing but a peacock.

I thought Roman slapped last night (to steal Ken’s buddy’s phrase).   He got picked on relentlessly by his older siblings growing up and got over on both of them.  Spying on Ken’s kids is shitty but, again everyone sucks.    In any event, I am certain Roman’s win last night will be pyrrhic and quickly turn into an “L”.   Looking forward to seeing how   

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I wonder if Roman and Menken doing more than just "two cool guys hanging out" could be the season-ending bombshell/disruption.

Menken🤔...do you mean Mattson (Skarsgard)? do you mean them getting a little "personal"? Roman def has some unusual sexual proclivities 😄

Edited by mchookem

I’m rooting for Shiv to show us her boobs. ?
Team Shiv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Jeryd Mencken.  The Presidential candidate.  You didn't pick up on that "vibe" between Roman and him in the prior episode?

oh yeah i totally forgot they'd picked him as the next R candidate. i saw him described in a recap as "the hate filled love child of Josh Hawley and Jordan Peterson" 😄   

yeah i think there was a weird vibe there...would not be surprising considering the skeletons often found in those kind of guys' closets lol

That was an interesting quote in that, he is, in fact, family. I mean, aren't they all - at the end of the day - "leeching" on off what Logan has built?
It's not like Kendall, Shiv or Roman did anything except be born into the family, same as Greg.  What difference does it make, really if your Logan's son or Logan's nephew? Both are taking advantage of their status as relatives.
Bingo.