2018 US Open - Shinnecock

Wally Fairway

I think it's funny that guys making millions for playing golf are whining about the course being too hard. I have no problem with someone winning this with a score of +5. If it's one of the biggest tournaments out there it should be one of the hardest courses. 

It’s not that it’s hard. It’s that the USGA basically tricks up the course. When you have putts that actually roll back after they “stop” on the green, that’s a bit much. I wonder how high scores would be if they hadn’t widened the fairways 15 yards from 2004. The story of the 7th green that year is absolutely amazing. Shit. Show.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do you want to be at the top of the leaderboard tonight?  Just means you play late like today, and the course should age tomorrow like it did today. 

Not unless you have already shot 75+ sometime this week.  No way any golfer is going to shoot four good rounds on this course with the USGA running things.   If you are leading you have  probably shot three good rounds so tomorrow will be the cooler.  This has go out early post a number and let the rest of the field sweat trying to match it when the pressure is cranked up the highest its been all week written all over it.

30 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I think it's funny that guys making millions for playing golf are whining about the course being too hard. I have no problem with someone winning this with a score of +5. If it's one of the biggest tournaments out there it should be one of the hardest courses. 

This.  Yeah, the conditions are hard but they're hard for everyone.  PGA guys are horrible about this.  Bitch and moan, moan and bitch.

Most everyone in the later groups is simply playing like shit. DJ has hit some horrendous shots and his putting is worse than any of the leaders.

Rose is hitting it like shit.

Nobody looks particularly sharp.

They haven't lost the course. It's close and the greens are on the edge, especially the shitty Poa just bouncing all over the place. But other than Phil hammering that putt that led to the 10, I haven't seen short putts running 25' off the green. They are definitely trickling of a few feet.

That said, the US Open is probably my least favorite major because they do trick up the course so much that it's not a true judge of the best players and his shots are penalized. Today there are just a bunch of bad shots by the leaders and the greens are sick enough to make part difficult.

Back none could change though.

I love this, course is tough, of course it is, this is the USGA, which is to say they are far behind the R&A, but their tournament is still a good one.

This is anyone's tournament, well, if you're of the final 3 groups tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I don't know if that is Strange or Azinger claiming that +7 won at Inverness in the 1970s but whoever it is is dead wrong.   Hale Irwin won in 1979 at Inverness by shooting even par.

I hate watching a major not televised by CBS.  Fox is like single A baseball compared to CBS being MLB.

If the course is lost, then Berger's and Finau's rounds of 66 today must be the greatest rounds ever shot in the history of the game.

They played an entirely different golf course. Berger has jumped from 48th to 27th without hitting a shot.
  • Like 1

Zach Johnson with the Trump-like humble brag:

"I feel for the membership, because a lot of them are good friends of mine. I feel for the spectators, who are seeing absolute, pure carnage. Unless they want to. I don't know if that's their intent. I feel for the USGA because I don't think that was their overall intent from the very beginning. When it comes to things that have happened in the past, you’ve got to err on the side of conservative. A conservative nature. A conservative approach. That wasn't done today."

Definitely a different course, but some of the shots these guys are hitting are garbage. Stenson just left an iron 30 yards short.

Good shots are being rewarded and landing soft and staying near the holes for the most part. Hoffman's shot there notwithstanding (alright it was still 25-30 ft long).

7 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Definitely a different course, but some of the shots these guys are hitting are garbage. Stenson just left an iron 30 yards short.

Good shots are being rewarded and landing soft and staying near the holes for the most part. Hoffman's shot there notwithstanding (alright it was still 25-30 ft long).

Would you like a second chance at this post after that shot Koepka just hit on 15?

Here are the tee times today: 

• 10:13 a.m. -- Daniel Berger, Kevin Chappell 
  •  
  • 10:57 a.m. -- Tony Finau, Peter Uihlein
  •  
  • 11:41 a.m. -- Zach Johnson, Paul Casey 

So from the time Berger and Finau finished until the time Zach Johnson finished, the course was totally different?  In the case of Finau, less than an hour apart?  Fuck that noise. 

The guys late in the day are struggling because they're playing like shit.  They're not hitting perfectly executed shots that won't hold the green.  That's happened before, but not here.  They're driving into the rough and, in the case of Justin Rose, missing every green in site because they're irons are off.

This course is not lost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Wind didn't pick up until right around when the final two or three pairs teed off.

Which Zach Johnson was not in.  Yet he still says the course is lost, which is bullshit.  I haven't heard him bring up the wind as a factor.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Would you like a second chance at this post after that shot Koepka just hit on 15?
I said the back nine could get bad earlier. Looks like it's getting there quickly. If you've read my thoughts in the past US Opens you know I'm no fan of the setup.

I wouldn't say Koepka hot a great shot. 20 ft short right from 130, but it shouldn't finish up in the bunker.

I will say that Zach Johnson said they lost the course which could mean the last few holes on the back nine are near unplayable.

13 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Sure it's a different course.  But we see this several times each year on tour.  Wind picks up, storms blow in, greens dry out.  It's not that out of the ordinary for morning/afternoon scores to be 4-5 strokes different. 

4-5 strokes different? That's damn sure out of the ordinary. lol

I have a feeling Phil will withdraw tonight to avoid the bad press. It might be better for him in the long run he is out of contention anyway. 
I think that would actually just blow the story up more, and lend credence to the "it was disrespectful to the game" narrative. Just go out there and play a round tomorrow like what happened today was no big deal (because it wasn't). My two cents.