2018 US Open - Shinnecock

Wally Fairway

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Geez...did Phil sleep with Joe Buck's wife or something?  Let it fucking go already. Joe Buck needs to F off. 

Fox would rather keep digging their hole deeper than admit they fucking lost all control on their announcing

43 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

It’s not the course, it’s the USGA setup. The course is great.

One of the best courses on the planet.  I don't understand why the USGA thinks they can cut the greens like that on a sand based course.  It's 100 feet of sand below those greens.  You can't control the moisture.. The scary part is the grass is gone.  It's pretty much dead... so trying to get the greens back tomorrow isn't happening.  It's going to be a bumpy ride tomorrow.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Sure it's a different course.  But we see this several times each year on tour.  Wind picks up, storms blow in, greens dry out.  It's not that out of the ordinary for morning/afternoon scores to be 4-5 strokes different. 

Even today with the difference between morning and afternoon the difference was less than2 shots. lol

1 minute ago, Stu said:

One of the best courses on the planet.  I don't understand why the USGA thinks they can cut the greens like that on a sand based course.  It's 100 feet of sand below those greens.  You can't control the moisture.. The scary part is the grass is gone.  It's pretty much dead... so trying to get the greens back tomorrow isn't happening.  It's going to be a bumpy ride tomorrow.  

bumpy is right, some grass will come back and most won't

I've played in some tournaments where they've run the green speeds at 13 and placed pins on slopes where the putt would roll back to your feet 20 to 30 feet from the hole.. so, if I ever see a pin placement like that again, I'm pulling a Phil.  Cheating?  Not sure.. but I have no patience for idiotic course setups.

• Like 1

Even today with the difference between morning and afternoon the difference was less than2 shots. lol

The last 10 players out averaged 6.7 over par. There wasn’t a switch that was flipped at noon, so the morning vs afternoon stat isn’t the point.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

People reacting as if Phil pissed In a sand trap or dropped a deuce in the 18th cup.  He broke a rule and got a 2-stroke penalty. It wasn't an insult or detrimental to the game. And I'm not even a Phil fan. 

Idiot on Fox was saying the "kids" would look at Phil doing that and have a sad, 'cause Palmer and jack would not have done it.    The fuck?? Are the kids 50??  Youth PGA know Palmer for his ice tea/lemonade mash up and Xarelto commercial.

Phil's worst punishment would have vain to schlep out there tomorrow and play a meaningless round that he doesn't want to be in and that's what they're making him do.  Him getting a DQ just means he's on the private jet by tonight and wakes up in his own bed tomorrow morning.

21 minutes ago, Lurch said:

The last 10 players out averaged 6.7 over par. There wasn’t a switch that was flipped at noon, so the morning vs afternoon stat isn’t the point.

of course it's the point, it's always the point, it's why they talk about it, it's why we're talking about it.  Koepka shot 72, Rose 73, Stenson 74, so it's not like the last 3 groups were screwed over so much more than the rest.

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

of course it's the point, it's always the point, it's why they talk about it, it's why we're talking about it.  Koepka shot 72, Rose 73, Stenson 74, so it's not like the last 3 groups were screwed over so much more than the rest.

They keep saying that it got worse later in the day but Dustin Johnson shot better on the back nine than he did on the front.  

Man, I could not disagree with most of y’all more...i fucking love this shit and this may be my favorite golf tourney in history. So much better than guys fighting it out between -18 and -20. This course is bringing incredible dynamics of mental toughness and strategy on each shot into play like none other. These absolute fucking pussy professional golfers crying like little bitches might actually be enhancing it for me. Guys are going on runs and then being slapped back down for not staying down and getting cocky (see DJ). 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They keep saying that it got worse later in the day but Dustin Johnson shot better on the back nine than he did on the front.  

seems like the wind laid down later on but Fox was too busy trying to get Phil indicted for murder to notice.

As I expected, the golf channel guys ripped the USGA. And before that segment, they showed an interview with the USGA where they accepted blame for the setup today. The interesting part to me is the USGA thinks they can get the course back to fair for tomorrow.

One of the best points made is that the design of this course does not marry the modern USGA setup style. They have to slow down the speed of the greens.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

Man, I could not disagree with most of y’all more...i fucking love this shit and this may be my favorite golf tourney in history. So much better than guys fighting it out between -18 and -20. This course is bringing incredible dynamics of mental toughness and strategy on each shot into play like none other. These absolute fucking pussy professional golfers crying like little bitches might actually be enhancing it for me. Guys are going on runs and then being slapped back down for not staying down and getting cocky (see DJ). 

Not much strategy on shots rolling off of greens because a gust of wind came up.

Tomorrow could be bad because the greens dried up. Most of the day things were ok but on the edge. Later in the day it was pretty clear on the last few holes the greens were lost in the last several groups.

I've seen much more egregious conditions for the US Open, but the last 6-8 holes were unfair to the later groups compared to the earlier groups. That sucks.

It's unfortunate that the USGA decides it wants to protect par so badly that it compromises the greatness of the courses it selects. These courses are great tests because they are great courses, not because the greens are on the edge of unplayable.

Good to see everyone going HAM on the USGA. They pretty much suck.

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Not much strategy on shots rolling off of greens because a gust of wind came up.

Sure there is. Each green has a safe spot on them that isn’t generally tied to attacking the pin. Cost/Benefit analysis knowing what the wind is capable of out there. These greens sit high and fall off. Use your brain. 

• Like 1

My least favorite major because it routinely turns golf into putt putt courses. There is an official putt putt tour if you are interested in clown courses.

This should be setup to determine the best golfer in our nation's championship. Today was very on the edge but became clear on the last 6 holes that it was over the top because the USGA failed to consider actual projections of the conditions and created an unfair advantage for people playing earlier in the day.

Every aspect of this tournament is inferior to the masters. The broadcast, the crowds, the setup, the hospitality tents. Such a shame.
The only tournament that holds up to the Masters is the Open, then it's down to individual tastes

1 minute ago, DCA_HORN said:

Every aspect of this tournament is inferior to the masters. The broadcast, the crowds, the setup, the hospitality tents. Such a shame.

Well.. Augusta does host it every year, so that might be a bit easier to get right. 

48 minutes ago, pops said:

According to the rules, exactly the same. 

It depends on which rule they enforced. With it being intentional, he should have been DQ’d under that rule. I’m not a golf purist by any means and have been known to get pissed and  do that. However, it’s the US Open and he should withdraw.

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Makes no sense.. they change venues every year.  that's tough to get right.  no excuse for the set up today though.

I read the book "Open!" some years back.  Very interesting about the behind the scenes set up on a year over year basis.

It chronicled their first year with Bethpage Black and that being the first time they went with a public course and not a private club.  (Both had their advantages and disadvantages.)  In short, course set up is a lot harder than you think.  Every other tournament in golf has the same course or courses (British Open) to work with ever year except the US Open and the PGA.  The PGA likes low scores but the US Open basically wants par to be a winning score and they have to deal with different courses and in the case of elite private clubs, the membership committees.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

And flat out not being able to know a certain section of the green suddenly no longer holds the ball.

DJ's comment immediately after was the inconsistency of the green speeds -- some were blazing fast and others were slow. That's pretty difficult.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

So you like the strategy of Erin Hills where you hit driver and sand wedge into every green? I hate that kind of tourney, I’m enjoying this

Erin Mills was not a good venue for the US Open. Those guys murdered it. Says a lot about Koepka that he won that drive-and-pitch tournament and is in the thick of this one in a totally different type of course.

What they should probably do is shrink the fairways, let the greens be and stop picking pin placements that are on ridges.