2018 US Open - Shinnecock

Wally Fairway

14 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I read the book "Open!" some years back.  Very interesting about the behind the scenes set up on a year over year basis.

It chronicled their first year with Bethpage Black and that being the first time they went with a public course and not a private club.  (Both had their advantages and disadvantages.)  In short, course set up is a lot harder than you think.  Every other tournament in golf has the same course or courses (British Open) to work with ever year except the US Open and the PGA.  The PGA likes low scores but the US Open basically wants par to be a winning score and they have to deal with different courses and in the case of elite private clubs, the membership committees.

They SHOULD have to deal with clubs’ memberships. Shinnecock members have to deal with dead greens the rest of summer. That’s bullshit. 

Anyone who is bitching about the players’ reactions or saying this is great golf doesn’t know what the hell they're talking about. “Everyone is playing the same course” is such a simpleminded argument. The condition of the course has created a total game of chance. This is not a tournament of skill; it’s a contest to see who will encounter the fewest trap doors. 

45 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think these guys are as upset with Phil for goofing off when not in contention as they are with him purposely committing a penalty. 

In no way did he look out of control yesterday. After the hole, he was laughing with that qualifier guy he was playing with. Then the mock celebration today. 

Phil was fucking around. He shouldn’t have done it, he did and it was funny, but he’s right when he says people need to toughen up. Chamblee, Strange and Buck need to get the fuck over themselves. This has zero bearing on the outcome of the tourney. 

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

For all of the bitching about the course setup, I would love to see the reactions to pros playing courses that we routinely play. I have no doubt that they would go very low, but put them in a bunker with powdered sugar playground sand and a plugged lie with footprints or putting on a green that hasn't had a pitch mark repaired in 20 years and see what they say.

Can't believe they don't fix their pitch marks. Ha. Was told years ago, 'fix yours and another one". I don't make many pitch marks anymore.

Just now, Nicole44 said:

The fuck did I just see live? A guy with shorts on just go and scratch his ass vigorously so much so he went under the shorts leg and his ass was exposed

And watching that was still better than listening to azinger. "They cut the fairways and the greens different heights". Thanks, idiot. 

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

I wanted that putt just to see Johnny Miller's phone get flooded with go your own way texts.

Yeah, but Johnny would talk about how it wasn't nearly as glorious as his for a multitude of reasons.