2018 US Open - Shinnecock

Wally Fairway

18 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Sadly, I have a feeling that this might not be must see tv on Sunday. Good for DJ but sucks for viewing purposes. The losing of a huge group of stars doesn't hurt earlier. I guess I am hoping an amateur makes a run now. 

DJ, Justin Rose, Stenson, Koepka, Fleetwood, and Poulter  all within 3 shots of each other now. This is gonna be a must watch car crash. 

Just now, Lurch said:

Nope. Within next two years.

His game is in a lot better shape than I ever thought it would be. His issue is going to be the deep talented fields he’ll have in every of the next 8 majors. The 20 year olds are just better. He cannot win. 

Given the wind and the way the USGA set up this course no one was going to go four rounds without the course biting them at least one round.  The question today is does the course bite off Johnson's toe or his leg.  If he shoots 73 or 74 he will still be leading at the end of the day, assuming the wind doesn't die.  He has to keep from shooting 77 today.  I'll say right now Pearcy won't break 80 today.

sure, why not?

CSB warning:

Ok so regarding the parking situation. I grew up spending summers in Southampton, my grandmother owned a house just a few miles from the golf course. My grandmother passed away years before 1995 and my parents rented the house out but got tired of dealing with idiot tenants so they looked to sell the house.

When we told a good friend of ours we were selling the house, he said WTF are you doing, the US Open will be there soon, we have to go! So my parents sold the house, but in the agreement we had it put in writing that we could stay at the house during the week of the 1995 US Open. We sold the house to a couple who were the last renters, and so we knew them a little bit. And the house was big enough that we didn’t ask the couple to vacate during that week.

Fast forward to the tournament, we purchased tickets for the entire week and very excited to attend. But then we see the assigned parking was 30 mins away from the course towards NYC, and that’s with zero traffic. You catch a shuttle bus that takes about 90 mins in traffic to the course. Rinse and repeat in the evening when done for the day. We were thinking F that. Keep in mind this is long before Uber and not much in the way of taxi service out that way.

Couple who bought the house, the lady was a prominent local landscaper. My dad says go ask her if she has any ideas what we can do. She says no problem, she has the solution. Makes a phone call, gets out a piece of paper and writes “friend of Mary” on it and hands it to me and says here, you can park at my client’s house, it’s on the golf course. We are happy and hopeful that this will work.

Morning of the first day, we drive by the course, turn down a small street that had media staging. Cop stops us and asks where are you going? I show him the hand written sign and tell him we are parking at a house for the tournament. He waves us though. We park at this mansion, walk just a few steps pretty much right onto the 2nd tee box. Every day. Saved us hours of frustration. So we always joke about that stupid hand written sign that said friend of Mary. We never met or saw the owner of that house.

Now I see they erected a decent looking fence around the area where we walked onto the course, so very doubtful we could replicate that again.

End csb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

guys that barely missed the cut could have been all in the middle of this thing playing this morning

Finau and Berger could be the final group tomorrow.  Woodland finished about two and a half hours or so ago and shot 70.  He's at +8 and was tied for 48th when he finished.  He's now tied for 27th.

13 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Zach Johnson with some strong words there 

I think it's funny that guys making millions for playing golf are whining about the course being too hard. I have no problem with someone winning this with a score of +5. If it's one of the biggest tournaments out there it should be one of the hardest courses. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I think it's funny that guys making millions for playing golf are whining about the course being too hard. I have no problem with someone winning this with a score of +5. If it's one of the biggest tournaments out there it should be one of the hardest courses. 

Este. F the whiners. Shut up and play.