Tennessee Tech @ Texas: Austin Super Regional Thread

Horny Bull

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is a shitty take. Who cares if they've been to Omaha 0 times? This team is legit and their history has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad. 

Totally agreed. I don’t think they have the arms to compete for the title, but I’ll be rooting like hell for them because I love their team. Would love to see them average double digits en route to title. 

History has nothing to do with the present. 

10 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

You're probably right. The team that has been to Omaha 35 times already is correct in letting the tennessee tech team walking all over them at home.

Post less, you don't know college baseball.

You are a terrible poster. Congrats on telling me Texas has 35 trips to Omaha and Tennessee Tech has 0. 

That really tells me a lot about the current teams. 

2 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

LOL and you negged my post. Somebody is feeble minded...

It should have been negged. It has no bearing on this year. This isn’t college football, where mid majors never really have a chance. Nobody knew who Coastal Carolina was before a few years ago. You should just stop posting before you get your dumbass crowd sourced. 

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It should have been negged. It has no bearing on this year. This isn’t college football, where mid majors never really have a chance. Nobody knew who Coastal Carolina was before a few years ago. You should just stop posting before you get your dumbass crowd sourced. 

So because Coastal Carolina was good 2 years ago, Tennessee Tech should beat Texas in Austin in 2018? Makes sense.

Post more, you're really good at this sports thing.

• Fuck You 10

17 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Totally agreed. I don’t think they have the arms to compete for the title, but I’ll be rooting like hell for them because I love their team. Would love to see them average double digits en route to title. 

History has nothing to do with the present. 

2 of the last 4 national champions in baseball (Vanderbilt '14 and Coastal Carolina in '16) had made the CWS a grand total of 1 time. 

I'm sure X-Wing thinks both those teams sucked because ya know they had very little history. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

2 of the last 4 national champions in baseball (Vanderbilt '14 and Coastal Carolina in '16) had made the CWS a grand total of 1 time. 

I'm sure X-Wing thinks both those teams sucked because ya know they had very little history. 

Wow, when did Longhorn fans become such pussies? Seriously?

Sorry, but I'm still in the let's kick their ass mood.  Apparently @texasstrong12, despite that stat is not even correct, is already waving the white flag and making excuses "well this team is really good, no shame in losing to them." Dude... seriously? We're already making excuses before we lose to the MIGHTY Tennessee Tech baseball program?

How pathetic...

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

10 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Wow, when did Longhorn fans become such pussies? Seriously?

Sorry, but I'm still in the let's kick their ass mood.  Apparently @texasstrong12, despite that stat is not even correct, is already waving the white flag and making excuses "well this team is really good, no shame in losing to them." Dude... seriously? We're already making excuses before we lose to the MIGHTY Tennessee Tech baseball program?

How pathetic...

Waving the white flag because we said Tennessee Tech is a good team? 

Are you this stupid? 

Yeah man, how dare we say Tennessee Tech isn't going to be a walk in the park with their 53-10 record and beating national seed Ole Miss in their ballpark. I really think you are a troll the more you post. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Both are up and down but that's pretty much been their careers outside of Kingham last year. Kingham and Shugart were really shaky in their FR years under Skip and I consider Skip the best pitching coach in the country. 

I actually liked Kingham's approach today. Throw strikes and make them beat you. With Kingham's stuff that probably works against 90% of college teams. Just doesn't work against this Tennessee Tech team. 

Still they only scored 5, this team can handle that. And Rex makes a good point about it coulda been 10 but you can’t take the salty strikeouts away from PJR nor the play at the plate the other inning. This team gave a hell of an effort at times. I honestly think the game came down to one play here or one play there not made. Shaw, Zubia, DJ all had moments to make huge game saving and winning plays and all three or four of them came up Tenn Tech. Shit happens, especially in baseball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Waving the white flag because we said Tennessee Tech is a good team? 

Are you this stupid? 

Yeah man, how dare we say Tennessee Tech isn't going to be a walk in the park with their 53-10 record and beating national seed Ole Miss in their ballpark. I really think you are a troll the more you post. 

The more you post, the more I think you are just scared of the team we're playing. How sad...

This used to be a proud baseball program that expected to be in Omaha. Now we only hope they can keep up with teams like Tennessee Tech... How the mighty have fallen.

• Fuck You 16

36 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

The more you post, the more I think you are just scared of the team we're playing. How sad...

This used to be a proud baseball program that expected to be in Omaha. Now we only hope they can keep up with teams like Tennessee Tech... How the mighty have fallen.

Keep living in your fantasy world where you think "history" determines whether teams are good or bad. You're either 1) a troll or 2) an old dude that spouts off "we are Texas" bullshit as if it means anything when playing other teams. 

I'm rolling with troll based on your constant negative posting in game threads and disappearing acts when we start winning. Being that I'm about the 50th poster to have called you a shitty poster, troll is probably right. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Wtf? Texas is on the rise. Shoulda won and still can.

I am so fucking happy to have discovered the “ignore/block” function exists on Surly. First used on Greenspoint, and now on this assclown.

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Y’all’s trolldar is terrible.

...and it's not very good trolling, either. Lacks imagination and topic choice is meh.

X-wing needs to spend some more time in the comment sections of weightloss self improvement blogs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Welshy said:

...and it's not very good trolling, either. Lacks imagination and topic choice is meh.

yeah, I probably shouldn't have even engaged. It was obvious in the game threads where he would post "this team isn't mentally tough" or "oh how the mighty have fallen" every single game thread and then just disappear after we won. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

So because Coastal Carolina was good 2 years ago, Tennessee Tech should beat Texas in Austin in 2018? Makes sense.

Post more, you're really good at this sports thing.

11.png

Do whatever it takes to win tomorrow.  Then worry about Monday.  Got to bring the defense though because it really cost Texas today.  Texas has lost the first game of a Super before but that was then.  

Hopefully Pierce has them ready to win tomorrow.  Need to play better and win.  

Them boys can hit.  Texas needs to get more out of their lineup tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s a good day to make things right in the baseball universe. 

Yes, it is.  I'm not sure why the guy saying the Ohio Valley Conference runner up should never come into Disch Falk and win a super is getting so much shit but put me in that camp.  Omaha is where we belong.

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yes, it is.  I'm not sure why the guy saying the Ohio Valley Conference runner up should never come into Disch Falk and win a super is getting so much shit but put me in that camp.  Omaha is where we belong.

Tennessee Tech won their conference by seven games. 

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Ignoring the trolls, there are some actual regular posters bitching that we still suck at sports and David Pierce is no Augie Garrido because we lost one Super Regional game.

First of all, this team's season is separate from every other's.  Getting frustrated at yesterday's result because you're fed up that the football and basketball programs have struggled for several years is the pinnacle of dumbassery.

Second, losing a Super Regional means you finished somewhere between 9th and 16th in the nation.  That isn't sucking.  And we haven't lost.

Third, we had 11 guys drafted last year.  We had to raid the junior colleges just to fill out a complete roster.  And we won the Big 12.  We won a Regional and ended aggy's season.  And we lost one game of a Super by one run.  The rest is TBD.

Fourth, David Pierce is the Big 12 Coach of the Year.  If we win this series, he'll be in the discussion for national COY.  If you think we suck, you're wrong.  If you think Pierce is why we suck, you're wrong twice.

Cliff's Notes: stop being idiots.

This is the best season we've had in any major sport in several years, and it's a team that wasn't supposed to do anything.  If you're not enjoying this, you should quit watching UT sports.

How dare you bring logic into this thread! The sky is falling!!!1!!1!!!

Today is a new day. Let's take care of business.  \m/

20 minutes ago, WBT said:

Because that’s a disingenuous way of describing the situation. It’s similar to saying, “I don’t think a team that hasn’t won a title in 35 years should ever come into Los Angeles and beat the back to back defending national champs who have two Heisman winners in the backfield.” Maybe that’s not the whole story?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Because that’s a disingenuous way of describing the situation. It’s similar to saying, “I don’t think a team that hasn’t won a title in 35 years should ever come into Los Angeles and beat the back to back defending national champs who have two Heisman winners in the backfield.” Maybe that’s not the whole story?

Pretty much. They dominated their conference. Referring to a team as the "Ohio Valley Conference runner up" is nonsense after they won their conference by 7 games. Most coaches don't even care about conference tournaments. I'm also fairly sure Tennessee Tech had no incentive in the OVC tournament because they didn't put in a bid to host. 

"OVC runner up" and "never made it to Omaha" are the narratives people run with who haven't actually looked at their resume or watched them play. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Even if you assumed Texas is much better than TTU, 

I don't know why anyone would have assumed this against a team that's 53-10 and just beat national seed Ole Miss who had lost a grand total of 2 games at home prior to Tennessee Tech. 

We might end up being better that TTU but there's very few teams if any that are "much better". 

It was really weird how many people were rooting so hard for TT to beat Ole Miss for the specific reasoning that we’d play an inferior team. Hosting a Super was always a legit reason to want Ole Miss to lose, but the idea that TT was some clearly inferior team never made sense. If the Supers were played at a neutral field I would have much rather faced Ole Miss. Normally with a school like TT the conventional wisdom is that they don’t have enough arms to win a 3-game Super, but that doesn’t necessarily apply to a team that scores 10+ runs per game. TT has one of the best lineups in college baseball, and can score with anyone. This is a very legit team.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

It was really weird how many people were rooting so hard for TT to beat Ole Miss for the specific reasoning that we’d play an inferior team. Hosting a Super was always a legit reason to want Ole Miss to lose, but the idea that TT was some clearly inferior team never made sense. If the Supers were played at a neutral field I would have much rather faced Ole Miss. Normally with a school like TT the conventional wisdom is that they don’t have enough arms to win a 3-game Super, but that doesn’t necessarily apply to a team that scores 10+ runs per game. TT has one of the best lineups in college baseball, and can score with anyone. This is a very legit team.

Tennessee Tech was always the better draw just because we get them at home. We're a much better team at home. 

But I agree, on a neutral field I would have rather played Ole Miss than Tennessee Tech. Offensively this Tennessee Tech team is much like the Coastal Carolina team that won it all. They put so much pressure on you. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Exactly.

This "aw man, we lost to an OVC team" narrative is silly.  Cal State Fullerton, Rice, and Wichita State have several national titles between them.

The fact that an OVC program can put together a lineup like theirs is one of the things that makes college baseball great.

• Like 2

Tenn Tech is legit, I dont know why anyone let's a perception that they are the lesser team sink in. Happy as shit that we dont travel to Ole Miss, we get to play at home against TennTech! Guess what, Tech beat Ole Miss straight up, they are good.

• Like 1

I believ that we need to do today what we did for so many years under Augie in the postseason: long at-bats. We used to win so many games where the opposing starter entered the 6th inning having given up two base runners and no runs all game, but because his pitch count was at 90+ we were able to chase him and get to his team’s shittier relievers. Being that we need to win today and tomorrow, I really want to see us eat away at their pitching and make it to where their lesser pitchers have to beat us.

Speaking of Ole Miss, they were absolutely screwed in their regional. The Oxford regional was by far the toughest. 

Not only did Ole Miss get Tennessee Tech but they had Missouri State as a 3 seed in their regional. Missouri State has been receiving votes and ranked in the top 25 for much of the year. Missouri State and Tennessee Tech can beat anyone on any given weekend and Ole Miss had both in their regional as a national seed. Brutal. 

The committee really needs to do a better job of balancing these regionals out. The #4 overall seed should never get a draw like that. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I believ that we need to do today what we did for so many years under Augie in the postseason: long at-bats. We used to win so many games where the opposing starter entered the 6th inning having given up two base runners and no runs all game, but because his pitch count was at 90+ we were able to chase him and get to his team’s shittier relievers. Being that we need to win today and tomorrow, I really want to see us eat away at their pitching and make it to where their lesser pitchers have to beat us.
Completely agree and clean up the defensive miscues.