Tennessee Tech @ Texas: Austin Super Regional Thread

Horny Bull

For probably the first time ever, I will say that I am ok with whatever happens. This team has already overachieved. 

Yeah me too. We should be in oxford and being at home messes with the head on what we should expect. The team has overachieved already, still I’m greedy I want another appearance in the series.

For probably the first time ever, I will say that I am ok with whatever happens. This team has already overachieved. 

I don’t know man. If Ole Miss eliminated us in game 3 at their house, I could live with that.

Letting TTU go to their first CWS by plowing us in Austin is hard to take. That’s not Texas Baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, Shaggy3.0 said:

I don’t know man. If Ole Miss eliminated us in game 3 at their house, I could live with that.

Letting TTU go to their first CWS by plowing us in Austin is hard to take. That’s not Texas Baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would Augie do?

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Kingham fucked up.  Reynolds and Hibbeler were terrible. And then there was Shaw.  Shaw just fucked up the once, the other three repeatedly.

this. Even with Kingham 2 strike brainfarting, we still had a chance. 2 plays cost us this game, Shaw and Hibbler failing to get the bunt down.

Reynolds needs to be batting 8th or 9th.  He is so fucked up in the head at the plate.  If it wasn't for being concerned about who would play 3rd he'd be on the bench.

we better bring the bats tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

how the heck did TN Tch get so much talent??  

Exactly what I was saying on the way home. I lived in Cookeville for three years in elementary school. It wasn't that great then, and it's a lot crappier now.

21 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

As long as UT doesn't see # 7 again, we good. 

If they end up in Omaha, I'll probably take a stab at long odds on them winning it all (a la coastal carolina). I think they are 6-1 or 7-1 against p5 competition. They get shit done.

That being said, we ain't done yet.

25 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

I was hoping someone on the coverage would address this.  Having one or two guys hit lights out can be luck of the draw in recruiting talent.  Having the entire lineup hit over .300 is confounding.  Yeah, their conference is not a Big 5 conference, but their batting abilities don't seem to be settling down too much now that they're going against larger schools.

I kept asking, who is their batting coach, and how much does he make?

45 minutes ago, wood said:

Exactly what I was saying on the way home. I lived in Cookeville for three years in elementary school. It wasn't that great then, and it's a lot crappier now.

Probably has a lot to do with baseball scouting/recruiting. The broadcasters last weekend made a good point about their pitching. They look for 5'10 righties that have good stuff who don't really have the frames to be drafted high out of HS. Yet, they also have the upside to develop into good pitchers when they are JRs and SRs. The two pitchers today were both drafted but are definitely not the types blue blood college programs would be interested in coming out of HS. 

Seems like there's a lot more misses in college baseball recruiting than there is in basketball/football. Probably why there's more parity too. When's the last time a program like Coastal Carolina and Fresno State won a title in basketball or football? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

Kingham fucked up.  Reynolds and Hibbeler were terrible. And then there was Shaw.  Shaw just fucked up the once, the other three repeatedly.

How did Hamilton escape this tirade? One Sac didn’t erase an otherwise horrendously shitty game.

And I’m sure it was discussed ad nauseum upthread.....not not walking their best power hitter with one out and first base open? Fuck you Pierce for choosing to not coach at the most critical moment of the season.

21 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If they end up in Omaha, I'll probably take a stab at long odds on them winning it all (a la coastal carolina). I think they are 6-1 or 7-1 against p5 competition. They get shit done.

That being said, we ain't done yet.

Scary thing is this Tennessee Tech team actually reminds me a lot of that Coastal Carolina team. That Coastal Carolina team was 1st in runs, 1st in HRs, 4th in hits, and 17th in slugging %. They could rake a lot like Tennessee Tech. That Coastal Carolina team had a few more arms though and were better from a fielding perspective. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

How did Hamilton escape this tirade? One Sac didn’t erase an otherwise horrendously shitty game.

And I’m sure it was discussed ad nauseum upthread.....not not walking their best power hitter with one out and first base open? Fuck you Pierce for choosing to not coach at the most critical moment of the season.

Kody and Mckenzie were the only ones who did anything worth a shit at the plate.  Zubia was awful as well.  

TNTech put the ball on the ground and found holes early.  then when kingham started to tire they pounded him.   We of course kept hitting cans of corn and pop ups.  I think TN Tech had to field something like 5 ground balls the whole game if I had to guess. poor poor approach at the plate.

It was like watching the team that started the year show up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Tennessee Tech head coach gonna get a big paycheck with a big time school in the near future and probably next year. 

Somebody could have hired him last year for much cheaper and it was pretty obvious Bragga was legit last year. 

Tennessee Tech wasn't as good last year but they stole game 1 in the regional against FSU and went 41-21. 

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Kody and Mckenzie were the only ones who did anything worth a shit at the plate.  Zubia was awful as well.  

TNTech put the ball on the ground and found holes early.  then when kingham started to tire they pounded him.   We of course kept hitting cans of corn and pop ups.  I think TN Tech had to field something like 5 ground balls the whole game if I had to guess. poor poor approach at the plate.

It was like watching the team that started the year show up.

Some guys like Zubia were over swinging. I think Tennessee Tech's offense played mind games on some of our hitters. They know we need to score runs to win this series so there's pressure to over swing and do too much. 

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hibbeler and Reynolds are both struggling at the plate right now. Probably need to drop Reynolds down in the order. 

Kingham wasn't sharp after a couple innings but it doesn't sound like he was anywhere close to healthy. 

If that's the case, why not start Henley or Shart today? There's not that much difference among the three. Kingham is not a clear cut "ace."

8 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

If that's the case, why not start Henley or Shart today? There's not that much difference among the three. Kingham is not a clear cut "ace."

Maybe, but tough not to start Kingham after the way he looked last weekend when sick. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wood said:

Haven't read this whole m'fer. How deep is their staff?

Not deep at all. They have 3 or 4 plus arms in Roberts, Mothis, Evey, and Hursey. 2 pitched today in Evey and Roberts. 

If we get this to a 3rd game, I think we have a pretty significant advantage even with our pitching issues at times. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Maybe, but tough not to start Kingham after the way he looked last weekend when sick. 

Yeah, honestly, when he and Shugart stick to business and don't yap, they can be pretty good.  Seems like when they get "emotional" or whatever it is that leads them to mouthing off at or staring down the other team, their pitching goes in the toilet.  His pitching last week while ill was probably his best outing this year, if not his career.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

I guess that means aggy is out of the picture 

I would never underestimate aggy on a few different fronts:

1) making shit that will kill people

2) doing something that makes the common man ask, "Why the fuck???"

3) pissing away money on coaches like a rookie pro athlete buying whores and blow.

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, honestly, when he and Shugart stick to business and don't yap, they can be pretty good.  Seems like when they get "emotional" or whatever it is that leads them to mouthing off at or staring down the other team, their pitching goes in the toilet.  His pitching last week while ill was probably his best outing this year, if not his career.

Both are up and down but that's pretty much been their careers outside of Kingham last year. Kingham and Shugart were really shaky in their FR years under Skip and I consider Skip the best pitching coach in the country. 

I actually liked Kingham's approach today. Throw strikes and make them beat you. With Kingham's stuff that probably works against 90% of college teams. Just doesn't work against this Tennessee Tech team. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Both are up and down but that's pretty much been their careers outside of Kingham last year. Kingham and Shugart were really shaky in their FR years under Skip and I consider Skip the best pitching coach in the country. 

I actually liked Kingham's approach today. Throw strikes and make them beat you. With Kingham's stuff that probably works against 90% of college teams. Just doesn't work against this Tennessee Tech team. 

Yeah, true.  Their ability at the plate really magnified those "third strikes."  He didn't completely shit the bed.  Imagine if he'd started handing out walks and pitching from behind.

And, other than when they get "emotional," both of them have improved significantly over the years, a lot of which probably meant sublimating the emotion or aggression.  But if either of them gets "aggro," they seem to lose control.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

the one reason could be if Kingham doesn't look right after an inning or 2 you can bring in Shart or Henley and roll with whatever for game 3.  Kingham was just good enough to hang around for 95 pitches.  we just didn't hit the ball, move runners and Shaw screwed us out of 2 runs.  I know it wasn't an easy play but he really misjudged it.  it should have been caught.

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

yeah but he left pitches over the plate with 2 strikes and the count in his favor.  Pierce even said as much after the game and why he made that one mound visit early.

but yes, it was good enough to win if we do anything right elsewhere.

• Like 1

We got lucky as shit. The score could have been a lot worse. I don’t really fault Kingham’s location as much as I attribute that to just a class of hitting we haven’t had in like 10 years. Kingham was acting like a pissant thug and I fault him for that. 

Like in most years in recent past, we still do not have the hitting to compete at the highest level. We have Kody and a bunch of below average college hitters. 

Just too big time to even compete with t tech today. At least that’s how it looked from watching rom the stands. This team needs to grow up and realize that nothing is given, no matter how weak their regional is...

just kicked texas’s Ass today. Utterly humiliating 

it’s tennessee tech guys... they been to Omaha exactly 0 times. This shouldn’t be a challenge...

• Fuck You 7

44 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

We got lucky as shit. The score could have been a lot worse. I don’t really fault Kingham’s location as much as I attribute that to just a class of hitting we haven’t had in like 10 years. Kingham was acting like a pissant thug and I fault him for that. 

Like in most years in recent past, we still do not have the hitting to compete at the highest level. We have Kody and a bunch of below average college hitters. 

I don't totally agree.  You get up 0-2 it's basic baseball that you don't locate middle middle (unless MAYBE you have 100mph+ gas that you just plan on blowing by them)....that happened (intended or not) on multiple occasions.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

It’s tennessee tech guys... they been to Omaha exactly 0 times. This shouldn’t be a challenge...

This is a shitty take. Who cares if they've been to Omaha 0 times? This team is legit and their history has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad. 

• Like 2

Reading this thread you would think we got run ruled. Kingham pitched adequately and everything else but Kody pretty much fell apart yet we were in it right up until the end.

I hope the team saw these rednecks from whistle stop Tennessee disrespecting them in their own house and got pissed off and aren’t sitting around crying woe is me like you fucks. I’ll be there tomorrow, and I fully expect the Horns to win.

• Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

This is a shitty take. Who cares if they've been to Omaha 0 times? This team is legit and their history has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad. 

You're probably right. The team that has been to Omaha 35 times already is correct in letting the tennessee tech team walking all over them at home.

Post less, you don't know college baseball.

• Fuck You 4

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I don't totally agree.  You get up 0-2 it's basic baseball that you don't locate middle middle....that happened (intended or not) on multiple occasions.

Yeah I know. Only some teams make you pay the way they did. Nolan fucked up but we farted our way to only 5 runs given up because of Sawyer and PJR. Like I said, we got lucky. We should have lost like 10-4 and if we did, they’d have their average runs scored, and we still wouldn’t have hit. As it happened, that we only lost 5-4 outs the focus squarely on our shit hitting. I mean it was terrible and has been for years.