2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

22 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Hope if you have em that you are wanting them. What part of the county are you in? We are in the NE part of the county, Priddy area and Mt Olive cemetery. I never see any pigs, really don’t want any either.

Near Mullin, west of 183. Never saw pigs as roadkill on 183 until the last year or two. I know a neighbor just a mile or so west on 573 that has been fighting them for years, so it was always inevitable. We have a wet weather creek, but no tank. I think they've just missed us until now.

Don't really want em, but I don't like venison so I don't really pull a deer license most years. But as owner I can hunt em year round (right?). 

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t see em DOA on 183 either, I’m through Mullin every other week. You ever been to the Duren Hotel in Mullin? We used to rent it out for family reunions, it’s a great place to have a reunion. We haven’t rented it in 4-5 years, I would love to have that place.

• Like 1

I saw this guy lots on the cam at this location...

x1SDDX3Z_o.jpg

I have a nice sequence of his stalking his way across the frame from left to right and then running back the other way, but I apparently selected my file management app as the default app for selecting pictures to upload and the previews are way to small to select anything and not sorted in any redeemable order, so you will just have to use your imagination. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

East Texas never has much problem with green stuff on the ground, but we definitely don't have near the number of deer as y’all do out further west. And getting them to survive long enough to be worth shooting can be a challenge. I'm thinking the one in the second picture may have been this guy I saw crossing the oilfield road on our place last year about 300 yards out when I was hunting with my flintlock.

QGuf3Rsk_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Five inches of rain in a week and +10 inches for the year (on Hwy 16 north of Fredericksburg) has to eclipse all of 2022 rainfall.

Setting up to be a better year.  Just having some grass will help immensely with fawn survival.  They didn't have a chance last year between the tough browse conditions and zero cover to hide from the coyotes.

We didn't shoot any mature bucks last year.  If things continue like they are trending, we should have a better year.  How much better will depend on the non-hunting mortality of and ability to bounce back better in that 5-7 yr old class.

• Hook 'Em 1

I need a new blind. Need to be able to get it from fredrickburg, Kerrville, Mason, junction area... or between Austin and there. I want to get something quality that can fit 2 grown men or me and 2 kids. The perfect blind imo was at a lease in South Texas but from what I can see they are 5 hours away and I am too lazy to go that far to spend 6k for the thing. Thinking 4'-6' base, but with the wind I get, 4' may be smartest. Caveat, I need to be able to get it here and setup with a 16' trailer & 28hp tractor. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

We’ve been very satisfied with our Texas Wildlife Supply blinds. Only thing I would do differently would be full length shelves

Looks like they are out of Brady. What's their markup to come set it up? Do you know?

Cazadores has the aws blinds I could grab and do myself but if it makes sense, I love being lazy and letting someone else do the work.

38 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Looks like they are out of Brady. What's their markup to come set it up? Do you know?

Cazadores has the aws blinds I could grab and do myself but if it makes sense, I love being lazy and letting someone else do the work.

That's me.  We have people that have people.  We just always ending up writing big checks.

8 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We bought three of the AWS blinds plus three of their stand-and-fill feeders about five years ago.  Another vote here for AWS.  We have two 5' off the ground and one ground blind.  All 5x5.  Fit two adults comfortably.  I think it was in the $500 range to have them delivered and set up west of Junction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

TX Wildlife Supply is what you want.  They have a specially designed trailer for transport and lift for erecting the blind.   Their crew will dig a hole, pour concrete and hang a dead man anchor for you.   The Kubacaks (TWS owners) are friends of mine.   Good folks.  

When they delivered our first 6 (10 footers) we set the blinds ourselves.  We then got 2 15 footers and TWS brought them out on the special trailer and erected them.  

IMG_1638.jpeg

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1641.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 686 said:

Saw the first fawn of the year yesterday. Couldn’t catch a pic but he was laid down between the protein feeder and the road. Lots more pregnant does around.

9d49d97bfc57dc50b6507442250e2547.jpg

Yep.  We had one drop in our backyard in Williamson County on Saturday morning.  Cute little critters!

• Like 2

Was out running traps this morning and the  deer were out enjoying the cool morning and the freshly minted green stuff.  It’s been a long spell of dust and little to eat.   

(The pic is from yesterday afternoon.)

70700180716__0E35EA7C-0F01-40A7-807F-03D8262372CD.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Been cutting since 830 this morning. Diced up a a fawn this morning. Never saw it, only noticed when the mower bogged down and shot a bunch of blood and guts out the tail. Need to mow most of tomorrow too and then roll it all Thursday and Friday. Gonna set up tomorrow night and try to get some yotes looking for a cheap lunch with the shorter grass.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Been cutting since 830 this morning. Diced up a a fawn this morning. Never saw it, only noticed when the mower bogged down and shot a bunch of blood and guts out the tail. Need to mow most of tomorrow too and then roll it all Thursday and Friday. Gonna set up tomorrow night and try to get some yotes looking for a cheap lunch with the shorter grass.

Ever seen a field after it's mowed/harvested for big-scale ag?  It's a bloodbath and vultures and crows start circling almost immediately.  Every little critter with fur gets chewed up and decimated.  

If you consider yourself handy, my buddy has been making or converting his blinds to portable ones to drag around different spots on his hunting land with a buggy. 

Find yourself a $100 trailer.  Sometimes they come with a free boat for the pond along with it8AFE562F-CA6D-493C-8A48-49CC56954D09.thumb.jpeg.69d33329ad953279d2e7e372cfead447.jpeg

Add a supporting frame for the floorboards.  This one might or might not have held fiber optic cable at one point and was left along the road for a week or so too long

3EAE7EFB-7EFA-4698-8BA6-DA1C8FF43804.thumb.jpeg.3bbaed226bd4975a5f2402d1d38e93ed.jpeg

Finish your floor and ad some uprights to hold the top

E6D622D9-42D9-45EA-AAB2-45C136D75C22.thumb.jpeg.b1585e676a17b7cb7551a7e8e4381a2e.jpeg

Add some sheetmetal around the outside and on the roof.  Put in some shooting ports while your at it.

3D3D4369-E93F-4186-91CA-2D2BC757041A.thumb.jpeg.32b3e3bb4790272c62e12b53ddc1cc81.jpeg

Just needs paint.   Then make a few more variations

D34B31AC-343F-41EB-9AEF-1A49082B9AD2.thumb.jpeg.7982e74d976bd0c8445f42e2e76a74a6.jpeg

E2D4107F-C9ED-49A2-B8AB-5C53AE14ABBA.thumb.jpeg.1e4721360ee255c8f137703b08a9e6af.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Ever seen a field after it's mowed/harvested for big-scale ag?  It's a bloodbath and vultures and crows start circling almost immediately.  Every little critter with fur gets chewed up and decimated.  

Buddy of mine ran his wife’s dog through the swather some years ago. Wife filed for divorce within the week. Buddy said things had been rocky for a while, dog incident was the straw that broke the camel’s back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Buddy of mine ran his wife’s dog through the swather some years ago. Wife filed for divorce within the week. Buddy said things had been rocky for a while, dog incident was the straw that broke the camel’s back. 

Damn, not the dog.  Accident?  Claimed accident?  Can't believe someone would intentionally run over a dog to get back at a spouse.  JFC.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Damn, not the dog.  Accident?  Claimed accident?  Can't believe someone would intentionally run over a dog to get back at a spouse.  JFC.  

Absolute accident. Short dog in tall alfalfa. Hell, he treated the dog better than he did his wife. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1