The Handmaid’s Tale - Season 5

4th&Five

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything so far could have been covered in two episodes. We've spent hours of self-indulgent, drawn-out angst about June's inevitable return to the fight all played on endless close-ups of E. Moss's face. I'm embarrassed for Moss as she directed the first few episodes (likely bait to keep her going with the show). "You, know what this show needs is another close-up of my face."

I thought the show mercifully ended last season, too. I wonder if they just couldn't resist going another season for whatever gain the network gets out of it. More subscribers or subscribers staying? 

I'm glad that the buried pistol didn't just work after she dug it up. Ann Dowd's Aunt Lidia is the heart of the show right now. My God, what an actress. Bradley Whitford is the other actor injecting a little life and, egads!, even wit to the show. 

It's. All. So. Serious.

• 3 weeks later...
Everything so far could have been covered in two episodes. We've spent hours of self-indulgent, drawn-out angst about June's inevitable return to the fight all played on endless close-ups of E. Moss's face. I'm embarrassed for Moss as she directed the first few episodes (likely bait to keep her going with the show). "You, know what this show needs is another close-up of my face."
I thought the show mercifully ended last season, too. I wonder if they just couldn't resist going another season for whatever gain the network gets out of it. More subscribers or subscribers staying? 
I'm glad that the buried pistol didn't just work after she dug it up. Ann Dowd's Aunt Lidia is the heart of the show right now. My God, what an actress. Bradley Whitford is the other actor injecting a little life and, egads!, even wit to the show. 
It's. All. So. Serious.

At this point, I just get angry whenever they do the closeup thing. Her face makes me angry.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wife watches this and I would spend most of the time on my phone the first half of season as it seemed like they were just playing out the string (and should have ended it a season ago) but I thought the twist with Serena the last couple of episodes was pretty solid and kept me watching.  But yeah - the June close ups are ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

Wife watches this and I would spend most of the time on my phone the first half of season as it seemed like they were just playing out the string (and should have ended it a season ago) but I thought the twist with Serena the last couple of episodes was pretty solid and kept me watching.  But yeah - the June close ups are ridiculous.

It’s just the annual Serena isnt that bad until she is arc

Edited by UT_OB1

This show keeps teasing me on the Hulu screen, and I keep passing it up. Guess I'm in the majority (on this thread) now. I watched the first episode and it was about as satisfying as a big wet fart. Building up the wife to be the new villain. June is broken and can't accept getting away and NEEDS to go back to the fight and set up another season of her undercover again? And of course ended with yet another close up of her face. Once I saw the face shot I figured they were just poking at us with that and letting us know they weren't changing for shit. Just a retread of past seasons. Not sure I'll ever get around to episode 2.